Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Oracle of Seasons. I was a bit worried that going back to an 8-bit Zelda that I'd find it a bit, dated. I remember playing through the original Zelda & it's so un-intuitive & vague at times (no clue in the game about where to go, or what items even exist etc)...but Seasons is like LttP but in 8 bits. Really lovely little game so far, I was surprised & delighted to hear the Song of Storms make an appearance too :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Super Mario Land 3D. What an incredible game. World 1 Stage 3, for example, is just a work of sheer genius.

Pilotwings Resort. Why bother playing the real game when you can spend hours in Free Flight mode, roaring up and down the middle of the volcano on a jet pack? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

MrVestek wrote: »
    I must give that a proper play through on the Bartop one of these days.

What system you play that through Vestek?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Super Mario Land 3D. What an incredible game. World 1 Stage 3, for example, is just a work of sheer genius.

Pilotwings Resort. Why bother playing the real game when you can spend hours in Free Flight mode, roaring up and down the middle of the volcano on a jet pack? :D

You wouldn't let some of the posters in the games forum know, because I'm having an awful time convincing them that Mario games aren't all the same!
    And, if you like Super Mario 3D Land wait until you play Super Mario 3D World, it's like a level above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You wouldn't let some of the posters in the games forum know, because I'm having an awful time convincing them that Mario games aren't all the same!
    And, if you like Super Mario 3D Land wait until you play Super Mario 3D World, it's like a level above.

I'm with you there the 3D world game is sooooo good and packed to the brim with new ideas. Don't mind the others on the games forum. Let them have their moment. They're the ones missing out.

On an unrelated note I just played through Lylat wars again. Seriously that game is such a joy. It holds up perfectly well in gameplay terms. Love it so much. Damn CGR on YouTube with their N64 week. Gonna play some top gear rally in a while!

• Advertisement

Damn CGR on YouTube with their N64 week. Gonna play some top gear rally in a while!

I like CGR, but CGR Undertow is better imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

Myrddin wrote: »
    I like CGR, but CGR Undertow is better imo

Wat!

A lot of the undertow reviews are piss poor!

I think theres a few different undertow presenters, one of which i cant stand!

waveform wrote: »
    Wat!

A lot of the undertow reviews are piss poor!

I think theres a few different undertow presenters, one of which i cant stand!

Yeah I much prefer the CGR Untertow series, it's more to the point. There are a few different reviewers, the main guy though (who has a bit of an o1s1n thing going on actually) is the best though.

0.jpg

Myrddin wrote: »
    Yeah I much prefer the CGR Untertow series, it's more to the point. There are a few different reviewers, the main guy though (who has a bit of an o1s1n thing going on actually) is the best though.

0.jpg

:D

Theres a female reviewer too but i only came across her twice i'd say.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

waveform wrote: »
    ... i only came across her twice i'd say.

ooh-matron.gif

:pac:

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    ooh-matron.gif

david_tennant_sauce_icon_by_gadzooks187-d4q9tzf.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Cgr, undertow, lord karnage. All entertaining imo

Andrew76 wrote: »
    ooh-matron.gif

I kinda thought about the double meaning after posting that alright!

I'm going insane from all the dirty mindedness on this forum lately!

Maybe i should embrace it and be the dirtiest guy on here and maybe I'll end up with a significant other like most guys seem to have on here!

(Could also be that the dirty jokers are getting none the relationship and things arent as good as they seem! :p)

Played some New Super Mario Bros. Wii last night, it's amazing how many different ways you can die on the same ice level! :mad: Put me off playing it so went back to Mario Galaxy 2 instead, much more forgiving (and fun). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Arcade and retro forum was dirty minded from its inception back in the day. Sure look what Cider and those got up to at beers.

orgy_planner_thumb.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sorry, it is my place and an A&R Beers, but I'm the one holding the tray of chicken nuggets and a bowl of gummi bears. :(
    Also, Myrddin isn't there either, as The Rule Of EnterNow still applies.

Also, Myrddin isn't there either, as The Rule Of EnterNow still applies.

Ah see you have to first say you're going, then at the last minute the inevitable strikes & you have to say you can't go. Seeing as I didn't say I was going, it doesn't apply to me :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Been playing Front Mission 3 through my ps vita. It's still a great strategy RPG with a plot full of utter nonsense. I wish these simple strategy RPGs were still being made. Nippon Ichis games are good and all but they are very complex. I've always enjoyed the simpler games like shining force. At least fire emblem is stronger than its ever been and seems to be the last bastion of this type of game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Playing through 'Shadows of the Empire' on the N64 again, primitive but fun :)

Oh and you must press 'reset' on the N64 before powering off for the saves to actually save on the Everdrive... Learned that the hard way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Calling shadows of the empire fun is a gross exaggeration. Played it a while ago and it was horrendous. The third person sections are dull but functional. Everything else is unplayable, broken or both.

• Advertisement

Ah the only stage broken is the stupid bike thing, everything else is playable. Controls and random camera angles make it challenging though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My current gaming play list is.

Ibara
    Dark Souls 2
    Super Hexagon

Bloody hell, I don't know how that happened. I either finish the day feeling like the greatest games player of all time or an absolute failure. There is no middle ground :D

Ah the only stage broken is the stupid bike thing, everything else is playable. Controls and random camera angles make it challenging though.

I have enjoyed it.
    It's no where near as broken as Rebel Strike on the GC.
    And at least it has a strong story.
    The visuals are cack now though, and wandering through the tunnels on Hoth are a pain in the bantha balls.

I was playing Raiden DX, in Tate mode on my PSP Go last night.
    And mighty fine it is too!
    I'll be playing Harmful Park a little later on and I have the original Need for Speed there as well.
    I love transferring games to the little device!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

After fifteen years of shame and recurrent nightmares, this morning I accomplished what ten year old me assumed nigh on impossible: I defeated Scar in Lion King on the Megadrive. All without help from the Internet! Fair thee well, you filthy animal.
    Turns out there's a throw you can use to hurl him off the cliff I never knew existed! And it's the first and only time in the game you actually need it. Ah, the days of no tutorials. Probably should have read the manual back in the day
    :p

Played a bit of Probotector too. It's like some sort of crazy black magic that runs as well as it does on MD!

I think the old games master review of probotector summed it up well. It scrolls faster than the nypd blues credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

Playing Legend of Dragoon atm, which I believe is somewhat of a contentious issue around here!

It's obvious Sony were trying their best to just tick all the boxes for a popular rpg without trying anything new and playing it very safe. That being said I'm 6-7 hours in and am enjoying it, the first few hours were a bit painful and the dialog can be atrocious at times, but there is a bit more life in it at this point. The translation seems pretty bad to me, but that kind of adds a charm that otherwise the game really lacks!

Playing on the PSP and the option to just stop playing and start where you left off without grinding out for a save point is big game changer for me. Makes jrpgs much more playable and approachable.

Duck and cover lads, Retr0 and his withering opinion in LoD incoming!

Donatron wrote: »
    Playing Legend of Dragoon atm, which I believe is somewhat of a contentious issue around here!

It's obvious Sony were trying their best to just tick all the boxes for a popular rpg without trying anything new and playing it very safe. That being said I'm 6-7 hours in and am enjoying it, the first few hours were a bit painful and the dialog can be atrocious at times, but there is a bit more life in it at this point. The translation seems pretty bad to me, but that kind of adds a charm that otherwise the game really lacks!

Playing on the PSP and the option to just stop playing and start where you left off without grinding out for a save point is big game changer for me. Makes jrpgs much more playable and approachable.

Just when we thought one Retr0 was enough!

I find this quite odd actually! Hmmmm

• Advertisement

I'll shut my mouth and not say anything about that awful game.

Just spent several hours playing Zelda A link Between Worlds. Absolutely stunning game. I can't wait to play it some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

After fifteen years of shame and recurrent nightmares, this morning I accomplished what ten year old me assumed nigh on impossible: I defeated Scar in Lion King on the Megadrive. All without help from the Internet! Fair thee well, you filthy animal.
    Turns out there's a throw you can use to hurl him off the cliff I never knew existed! And it's the first and only time in the game you actually need it. Ah, the days of no tutorials. Probably should have read the manual back in the day
    :p

Played a bit of Probotector too. It's like some sort of crazy black magic that runs as well as it does on MD!

I had this exact same problem years ago, we got the game for Christmas one year and after 2 weeks of dying I read the manual! What a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Playing Batman on the NES. Great game, very tough though. I had this as a kid and could never get anywhere on it so it's interesting to get past my previous best effort... a little sad too.

Playing this on the PAL NES is pretty depressing though, I have an AV Famicom and the difference in video quality is stunning. The NES looks brutal in comparison... maybe it's just in my head. Has anyone had any experience with NES to Famicom cartridge adapters? I'd be tempted to give one of those a try.

The AV output from a famicom and NES should be about the same quality I thought? Unless you are using RF with the NES then of course it will look like ass.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The AV output from a famicom and NES should be about the same quality I thought? Unless you are using RF with the NES then of course it will look like ass.

You're probably right... I need to get some better cables for the NES I guess :-)

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Not the great kind then... :P

ME5NeVROYTNkelUx_o_al-pacino-heat-she-got-a-great-ass.jpg

You're probably right... I need to get some better cables for the NES I guess :-)

You'd be surprised how much difference a cable can make. AV will still look bad but be a huge step up from RF. All other consoles though should have RGB cables since they vastly improve image quality.

I got an Everdrive 64 yesterday in exchange for some carts, thank you Kerb, and the Jap/US games are a revelation on the machine.
    Waverace 64, at 60hz, the rumble edition, fantastic.
    Mario 64 is mental with rumble as well.
    And with the RGB mod it's looking superb as well.

I got an Everdrive 64 yesterday in exchange for some carts, thank you Kerb, and the Jap/US games are a revelation on the machine.

Yep, RGB + 60Hz + Everdrive is the only way to go :D

Now to sell on the N64 collection.
    But, do I hang onto the good stuff or shift it as well?
    Actually, giving the PAL N64 away to Kerb as well.
    I have all the Paper Mario and Smash Bros series, including the N64 ones, seems wrong to lose them, Zelda carts as well, seems wrong to move them on!

• Advertisement

Now to sell on the N64 collection.
    But, do I hang onto the good stuff or shift it as well?
    Actually, giving the PAL N64 away to Kerb as well.
    I have all the Paper Mario and Smash Bros series, including the N64 ones, seems wrong to lose them, Zelda carts as well, seems wrong to move them on!

Well if you're looking to give Paper Mario 64 a good home where it will be loved :-)

Nope, I just like the set, Paper Mario on N64, GC, Wii and 3DS, not to mention Super Mario RPG for the Snes, would be wrong to split them up!

Paper Mario is a very hard game to find for a good price. I lucked out on a decently priced NTSc version a few years ago.

If you are gonna use the Everdrive Cidey, sell off what you don't want & just keep your PAL copies for posterity/collector reasons. Unless you're going to be actually playing the carts, there's not much point in selling PAL to buy NTSC

I was playing Bangai-O for a spell on the N64, very nice, a wonderful contrast between it, a twin stick shooter, and the DS game, which shares almost everything but is a puzzler.
    Yup, I'll be throwing everything, including Banjo Tooie up for sale, just keeping the Zelda games as well as Paper Mario and a few others.
    I have a feeling it'll be hard to go back to PAL having played NTSC, I've never seen the difference so marked, the RGB of the NTSC N64 probably has a lot to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

tumblr_m8o5qjCiSd1rxhe41o1_500.gif

I was looking through the carts and I realise I own some of them since I got an N64 again, some 16 years ago :eek:
    No wonder I'm finding it hard to say goodbye!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mudlan

I know you got your everdrive from Kerb but any ideas as to where would be a good place to buy one?? Few places online that ive looked at never seem to have them in stock or look a bit suspect!

Mudlan wrote: »
    I know you got your everdrive from Kerb but any ideas as to where would be a good place to buy one?? Few places online that ive looked at never seem to have them in stock or look a bit suspect!

Retrotowers.co.uk have them showing as in stock, used them before and not had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mudlan

Retrotowers.co.uk have them showing as in stock, used them before and not had any problems.

Thanks for that! Ill have a look into it and let you know how i get on!

• Advertisement
Advertisement