Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retrogate is the cheapest and most direct place to get them afaik.
    They don't charge premia for them, unlike most of the others who seem to charge a good 10 to 20% over the Retrogate prices.
    His Turbo Everdrive is something else and has changed the game, no pun intended, in terms of TG 16 and PC Engine ownership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just finished Shenmue for the first time. What a game!!

Now straight on to the sequel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just spent an hour in the company of Odin Sphere and it's bloody lovely!
    The art style is amazing, I think I nearly prefer the SD visuals tbh, lacking the HD Dragons Crown effect, which jarred a bit for me.
    Plus, you have no shame in playing it in front of loved ones, unlike Dragons Crown!
    Now to find the patched Saturn edition with the english translation.
    Very enjoyable indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

Playing Ridge Racer Type 4 via the PSP. Don't usually play much in the line of racing games but this is rapidly altering my opinion! Just trying to beat my times is crazy addictive. Such a fun game and looks absolutely beautiful

Donatron wrote: »
    Playing Ridge Racer Type 4 via the PSP. Don't usually play much in the line of racing games but this is rapidly altering my opinion! Just trying to beat my times is crazy addictive. Such a fun game and looks absolutely beautiful

Rage Racer FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

o1s1n wrote: »
    Just finished Shenmue for the first time. What a game!!

Now straight on to the sequel.
    Is Dreamcast emulation good enough for me to take a crack at Shenmue? Waiting until Im living somewhere bigger before I start picking up original hardware...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Thargor wrote: »
    Is Dreamcast emulation good enough for me to take a crack at Shenmue? Waiting until Im living somewhere bigger before I start picking up original hardware...

Should run it relatively well with a few glitchy parts.

MrVestek wrote: »
    Should run it relatively well with a few glitchy parts.

That's what she said last night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

On the last castle now in Oracle of Seasons. The second last one (Sword & Shield Maze) was pretty challenging. Looking forward to finishing this now, it's prob a tab too long if I'm honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

bQZhPkw.jpg

This game. My God. This beautiful game. Spent most of this afternoon playing it. Genius game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

What is it? And why is password two words? :D

(And have you recovered from last night? :P)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    What is it? And why is password two words? :D

(And have you recovered from last night? :P)

1. Sokoban World (PC Engine)
    2. Japlish? ;)
    3. Hush! :)

By the way. If you can get past Stage 11, I will give you 7 cent!

Final boss on Oracle of Seasons. Been quite a while since I've wanted to smash a handheld off the nearest wall I must admit. Maybe tomorrow I'll finish it :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Myrddin wrote: »
    Final boss on Oracle of Seasons. Been quite a while since I've wanted to smash a handheld off the nearest wall I must admit. Maybe tomorrow I'll finish it :(

Think that's hard. The boss at the end of the dungeon when you transfer the game to the other oracle game is even worse.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Think that's hard. The boss at the end of the dungeon when you transfer the game to the other oracle game is even worse.

Seriously? I may have to give it a while before even looking at that game, I'm kinda burned out with GBC Zelda at this point

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Myrddin wrote: »
    Seriously? I may have to give it a while before even looking at that game, I'm kinda burned out with GBC Zelda at this point

Yep. The two games are pretty tough. They definitely feel more Capcom than Nintendo!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yep. The two games are pretty tough. They definitely feel more Capcom than Nintendo!

Just completed Seasons there. Was a bit handier with the Red Ring, which admittedly I had to use the web to find. It's a bit 8-bit for my liking though:
    You have to set the seasons to Summer, which lowers the sea level. You then find a hidden entrance to an underground room where a sage will give you the challenge of defeating four golden monsters spread throughout the land. The monsters are located in 4 locations on the map (which is big) and there's zero clue as to where to find them. Not only that, but the golden monsters will only appear if the right season is chosen, meaning you could easily miss them if you have the wrong season running.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

Link's Awakening was fairly tough also I think, and if I remember correctly in the first or second dungeon if you didn't use the keys on the right doors you were basically stuck forever and had to start a new game!

Donatron wrote: »
    Link's Awakening was fairly tough also I think, and if I remember correctly in the first or second dungeon if you didn't use the keys on the right doors you were basically stuck forever and had to start a new game!

Possibly so. But I find with the 16-bit Zelda games & on, is that most things in the game are made that bit less obscure than the 8-bit ones. From LttP onwards, the games seem to be aware that the player hasn't got a 6th sense :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just finished Dark Souls 2 last night, great game and I really like the playthough. I'll do a NG+

but I think the first Dark Souls is a better game but both are fantastic

I'm getting excited for Bloodborne now

Master of the Universe

I've finally found the time to get stuck into Dark Souls 2 properly. I'm still not very far into it (currently on the Ruin Sentinels - although was getting frustrated with that so took a bit of a break and killed the Royal Rat Vanguard)

Great game but have to agree, Dark Souls is better.

Will probably pick up a PS4 as soon as Bloodborne is released.

To experience a real sense of despair and torturous, crushing, demoralising anxiety, please follow the instructions below:

1. Buy Sokoban World for the PC Engine.

2. Insert the Hu Card in to your PC Engine console and power it on.

3. At the title screen, select PASS WORD and press the RUN button.

4. Enter the word SLOPE and press the RUN button.

5. You will notice the title screen has now changed.

6. At the title screen press the RUN button to start the game.

7. Find a corner of a room, or a lonely, desperate place.

8. Cry. A LOT.

9. Suddenly note that there are still 22 levels to clear after it.

10. Go to the Cliffs of Moher.

11. Jump off them and in to the abyss.

Ah now.
    No need for that.
    Have a sense of perspective please.

There's perfectly good cliffs in Portrane, no need to be travelling all that way!

Just discovered the password for the last level, 250, type in the word MICKY (no, seriously) and prepare to be crushed!

What a game though. Sokoban games are brilliant anyway, but the presentation, the music, everything in this game is great. A PC Engine sleeper diamond!

Portrane you say? Hmm, this warrants investigation. The fuel savings alone make this a wonderful idea for Sokoban related depression! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Am playing the Crash Bandicoot for the first time atm. Have only played Crash 2, 3 and CTR up till now. I'm finding it really frustrating (as in difficult) and not particularly rewarding. Weird because I loved the other ones and though they were tricky at points I stuck with them. Crash1 is just pissing me off.

Edit: I'm not alone in this:
    The controls were bad enough. Crash Bandicoot has no concept of DualShock thumbsticks, and navigating the 3D platforming sections on a D-Pad is horrendous. Crash is difficult to control, and it's not helped by a rather crap camera that usually portrays the action from a very awkward angle. These two elements conspired to create frequent deaths as the player attempted to get a bulky, hard-to-move, ugly jumble of polygons to jump onto small surface areas surrounded by huge chasms. It was also nearly impossible to jump on crates or time the spin move properly to attack enemies

http://www.destructoid.com/ten-classic-games-that-did-not-age-well-154409.phtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

Played Vectrex on the Ipad trough Icade today .
    Minestorm is awesome .

Master of the Universe

Casey120 wrote: »
    Played Vectrex on the Ipad trough Icade today .
    Minestorm is awesome .

:eek:

Sacrilege, Vector monitor or nothing!! :D
    urbanledge wrote: »
    What a poor article

I'd agree with a good few of the games listed there, but the fact that Half Life is included makes the whole thing void and in need of burning in a fire.

Mortal Kombat? Tomb Raider? Silent Hill? Half Life?

That article can **** off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

MrVestek wrote: »
    Mortal Kombat? Tomb Raider? Silent Hill? Half Life?

That article can **** off.

Sorry :(

I don't agree with all of it but I feel the criticisms of Crash are valid - hence why I posted it. Wouldn't agree with the others as I either still like them or never played them. I have seen people rag on Goldeneye but I can still play either the single or multiplayer and enjoy it.

Master of the Universe

The original Mortal Kombat games have really dated. They're still a bit of fun to play but definitely a product of their time.

o1s1n wrote: »
    The original Mortal Kombat games have really dated. They're still a bit of fun to play but definitely a product of their time.

hey-you-shut-up-obama-graphic.jpg

Master of the Universe

Don't get me wrong, I still like them :) they're just incredibly 90s - not that that's a bad thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Im putting together a DIY Bubble Bobble Bartop. The artwork is Bubble Bobble inspired. I played that game so much in Casual Corner ( or Cazh)
    when I was a kid. Anywhay thats what I am playing. Cant wait for the bartop to be finished and play the two player with my son.

The only two I don't agree with in that list are Half Life and Silent Hill. They are all pretty much spot on except Metal Gear which on the NES was never any good but the MSX2 version is still great.

As for Mortal Kombat, the first game is pretty much one of the worst fighting games ever made. The second was decent but after that it ranged from ok to downright terrible until the surprisingly great MK9.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭badger57

GTA 2 on the Playstation one. It's incredible how much has changed in the franchise!

It's the black sheep of the family, though it attempted to do something new within the constraints of the hardware.
    It's arguable that GTA 3 is very much a sequel to GTA and GTA:VC follows the GTA:London template, leaving the Syndicate like features of GTA 2 un-repeated.

The original game is still a blast though, and GTA:Chinatown Wars goes a long way to show that the original perspective still fits the kind of action that we are accustomed to from the modern franchise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

GTA on the gameboy had the top down perspective too I think. Although I don't recall it being very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

GTA on the gameboy had the top down perspective too I think. Although I don't recall it being very good.

It was appalling the controls are broken and it is terrible just awful :(
    Even being on the Gameboy couldn't save it, or maybe the GB wasn't man enough for it..

Edit: I take everything I said back, nothing on the Gameboy sucks it is a work of pure genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mudlan

Currently playing Curse of Monkey Island on pc

Found it recently and got it up and running using ScummVm.... spent hours as a kid trying to get through it. Still love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's good, but I still prefer Secret of Monkey Island, and LeChuck's Revenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mudlan

It's good, but I still prefer Secret of Monkey Island, and LeChuck's Revenge!

Never played Secret of MI...not sure why!! Tempted to buy the Telltale version of the series but havent got around to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The Telltale ones are not bad, gets better as it gets further into it.

I'd recommend getting the Secret of MI/ LC's Revenge remade versions, they look great, and have the guys back for the voice overs as in Curse of, and if you prefer the original presentation, it switches back to 4:3, original graphics and no voice-overs at the touch of a button.

I love the way the trails work with LeChuck in SoMI

playing 1001 spikes and shovel knight atm, excellant stuff, although shovel knight is a bit on the short side and a tad easy. 1001 spikes on the other hand is crazy hard but very rewarding. The Tower of Nannar arcade mode unlockable is great as is the 4 player muliplayer modes. Also theres an unlockable 'lost levels' mode which is almost as long as the game itself. Great package all in all

• Advertisement

• God Hand...can't get enough!

Oh and playing through Unreal 1 again. Picked it up on the GOG sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Got a Commodore 64 emulator as I've never played one before, only the Amiga 500. Fired up Monty On The Run. Wow, quite a tough game! Don't think I'll make it to the end without save states...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Playing Mario 3D World and Monster Hunter on the Wii-U, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on the 3DS XL.

Dear god 3D world can be a frustrating experience sometimes on the later levels; trying to get all 3 green stars, the stamp and the gold flag. Not that it's unfair, just difficult. Such a brilliant game though. Reading on here about how difficult Tropical Freeze can be, I think I'll steer clear of that game altogether. :pac:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Dear god 3D world can be a frustrating experience sometimes on the later levels; trying to get all 3 green stars, the stamp and the gold flag.

Wait until you get to the final 2 stages. So much rage!

After completing all golds in mirror mode in mk8 I decided to go back to double dash and really enjoying it. Running in it through the wii u using devolution and pro controller, runs perfectly and looks great over hdmi and on the gamepad screen. Going to rip a few more of my games to the hdd and pack away the downstairs wii, F-zero widescreen mode is incredible too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement