Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm still playing Fez, had lots of fun with it, it's such a beautiful game, shame it has to go all Times crossword and get cryptic with the puzzles :(
    Ah well, I'll keep at it.
    The cross save feature is a glob send, being able to play it at home and then take my hand with me to work, to play on the meal breaks you understand, is really great.
    All in all makes it even more a pity we won't see the sequel.
    Also a pity that Fish is a bit of a dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭crasy dash

After a very bad day i broke out the snes shut myself away in the spare room and had a good session of Batman forever:D

Im in am much better mood now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm still playing Fez, had lots of fun with it, it's such a beautiful game, shame it has to go all Times crossword and get cryptic with the puzzles :(
    Ah well, I'll keep at it.
    The cross save feature is a glob send, being able to play it at home and then take my hand with me to work, to play on the meal breaks you understand, is really great.
    All in all makes it even more a pity we won't see the sequel.
    Also a pity that Fish is a bit of a dick.

Yeah Fish really was/is a dick, admire his dedication to get the game right but spent way too long making, labour of love i guess. He didn't come across well on Indie Game : The Movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Had a big smash bros sesh last night with a friend and we unlocked all characters apart from mewtwo and mr game and watch. Currently leaving the gamecube on all night to unlock mewtwo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

playing Treasure of Usas on MSX2 at the moment. prob one of my favourite retro games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Took Panzer Dragoon out for a spin last night

PEW PEW PEW

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

Playing Tekken 3 bleemcast on the Dreamcast. Runs very nicely! I'm using a pal version of the game but i swear it looks like it's playing in 60hz...

Playing Airborne Ranger on the C64 emulator on the Raspberry Pi

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I played a spot of Gunbird 2 on the cab, pretty good fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Took the Xbox down off the shelf yesterday (nephew in-law? had never played one), first think that struck me was the weight of the bloody thing !!!

Played a heap of Burnout on it, awesome arcady racer. Must invest a bit more time on it as the HD is full of pretty decent stuff.

• Advertisement

The original Xbox, almost as massive as the 3DO, though if the meteor to end the world was on the way, it's an FZ-1 you'll want to be hiding behind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Can you recommend some good 3DO games to play?

All I have are Need for Speed and Starblade at the moment. Starblade is interesting looking technically but a bit of a snorefest after a while. I need something with a bit of pep! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Xbox is a lot bigger and heavier than the 3DO, not to mention the difference in controller size !!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Can you recommend some good 3DO games to play?

All I have are Need for Speed and Starblade at the moment. Starblade is interesting looking technically but a bit of a snorefest after a while. I need something with a bit of pep! :)

Next game must be Return Fire and Maps'O Death, the mission pack for same.
    Then get Road Rash, Killing Time, Super Street Fighter II X and Star Control 2.

Master of the Universe

Dark Souls 2 finished!

Now on to NG+...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 BCGMatt

I am looking forward to getting into Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe when my PS2 gets delivered.

I did play some Batman on Game Boy earlier as well

BCGMatt wrote: »
    I am looking forward to getting into Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe when my PS2 gets delivered.

Viewtiful joe is really enjoyable and there's also an anime if you get into the series.

I was playing pokemon channel on the gamecube this evening, well not really playing but watching it. It's such a strange concept but oddly relaxing. It's nice that they included Jirachi for your ruby/sapphire game in the PAL version and it includes a playable pokemon mini and all the games for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 BCGMatt

I never realised there was an anime to accompany it. Will have to investigate that.

BCGMatt wrote: »
    I never realised there was an anime to accompany it. Will have to investigate that.

Yeah there's only 40/50 episodes or so so it's not massively long. I haven't watched it myself but one of my friends said she enjoyed it anyway.

Get the Viewtiful Joe sequel as well.
    Also, Okami is brilliant and find a copy of Global Defence Force too, you haven't lived until you've taken down a city sized flying saucer with a rocket launcher.

• Advertisement

Oh, and today I've been playing a few Cave shooters on the cab, mighty fine it was too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Oh, and today I've been playing a few Cave shooters on the cab, mighty fine it was too.

Any ones you'd recommend on MAME? have DoDonPachi and it runs nicely on my table, the vertical screen works really well too

All of them!
    Ibara is amazing tbh

Batman Returns on the SNES, much better than the Megadrive version and a pretty solid movie tie in.

SNES

189442-batman-returns-snes-screenshot-i-m-fighting-here-and-you-are.jpg

Megadrive
    BatmanReturns_Megadrive_Editeur_011.jpg

They both play completely differently, the SNES version is a Final Fight style scrolling beat em up the MD version is more of a platformer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I used to have the GameGear version of Batman Returns. I enjoyed it immensely back in the day, but I'm not sure how well it'd hold up!

Mostly playing MH3U recently, but I had a quick blast of both Aladdin and Super Star Wars on the SNES last night. I think that the SNES version of Aladdin looks prettier than the MD version, but the animation in the MD version is much better.

Ha I was actually playing Super Return of the Jedi as well, it's much harder than I remember it being :/ All the SNES Star Wars games were tough though I don't think I ever finished Super Empire Strikes Back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Batman Returns MD was bloody awful. I'm pretty sure one of the video shops in town charged me an arm and a leg for losing it although I was certain I'd returned it because I'd no interest in keeping it!

The Snes Batman Returns is incredible, I played it on release and, together with the movie publicity, it was the stuff dreams were made of.
    I can recall renting it and playing the heck out of it over a weekend, brilliant stuff.

The Snes Batman Returns is incredible, I played it on release and, together with the movie publicity, it was the stuff dreams were made of.
    I can recall renting it and playing the heck out of it over a weekend, brilliant stuff.

It's great, lots of moves, cool combat, great graphics, the music is brilliant and it captures the look of the movie exactly.

• Advertisement

For a guy who doesn't kill Batman does an awful lot of killing in Batman Returns. I elect to forget the following two Batman movies and go straight to the Animated Series, so damn good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just finished off Persona 3 Portable. What a nice reminder of just how utterly amazing that game is and playing as the female character was a nice twist on things with some great new social links. It's pretty much a strong contender for best RPG of all time. Skyrim and Mass effect have nothing on it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Dino Crisis on Dreamcast. Never played it before and it's as cheesy as hell but a lot of fun.

Master of the Universe

Started Child of Light yesterday. Completely caught me unawares that it had turn based battles/RPG elements. I was thinking it would be something more like Limbo!

Might have to put it on hold until I finish Mother 3, breaks my '1 RPG at a time rule' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

We're they pcbs or through mame Cidey?

We're they pcbs or through mame Cidey?

Mame :(

I have Ibara on PS2 and a few others on 360, as close as I'll get for the time being!

I realise my Cave issues are simply down to the PC being to weedy to do them justice, the games emulation is tricky and it really needs horsepower from the CPU to over come laggy sound and slowdown at heated moments.
    I'll invest in an i7 at some point to fix the issue at some point , when the necessary hardware is like free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

For a guy who doesn't kill Batman does an awful lot of killing in Batman Returns.

He even has a gun in Batman: Return of the Joker on the NES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Mame :(

I have Ibara on PS2 and a few others on 360, as close as I'll get for the time being!

I realise my Cave issues are simply down to the PC being to weedy to do them justice, the games emulation is tricky and it really needs horsepower from the CPU to over come laggy isound and slowdown at heated moments.
    I'll invest in an i7 at some point to fix the issue at some point , when the necessary hardware is like free!

The older cave games should run fine on a p4 but the newer sh3 based games like ibara probably need something beefier alright. Don't forget those sh3 games aren't emulated 100% in mame either.

Sh3 games have been added back into mame as of 154 and supposedly the emulation has improved. Some of the roms were even redumped.

The older cave games should run fine on a p4 but the newer sh3 based games like ibara probably need something beefier alright. Don't forget those sh3 games aren't emulated 100% in mame either.

Sh3 games have been added back into mame as of 154 and supposedly the emulation has improved. Some of the roms were even redumped.

I might have a go at grabbing better dumps so , the ones I'm using are there for over a year.
    I don't expect it to make much difference, for all Caves skill at software , apparently this was not matched by the prowess of the hardware, which is a bit all over the place and hard to emulate properly.
    Once again I'd say new hardware is warranted, I'll have a gander a little later at what's available and rebuild.

R-Type III on the SNES, used to love the original Super R-Type but it's a bit slow paced.

Wiz n' Liz on the Megadrive, fantastic little game, so fast paced

Shadow of the Colossus, had to start again as my half way through game save went AWOL.

Just finished Fez which isn't retro but was excellent.

• Advertisement

Metrico on the Vita is brilliant.
    It looks like a business presentation but plays as a platformer, a bit like Braid lite.
    Not bad at all and, with PS+, free!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

... for all Caves skill at software , apparently this was not matched by the prowess of the hardware, which is a bit all over the place and hard to emulate properly.

To be fair to Cave, I doubt one of their design decisions is to use hardware that makes their games easy to pirate emulate. ;)

Not much retro gaming in this house lately unfortunately, although I think I might put Raiden back in the cab. Played a bit of Darksiders 2 on the WiiU, looks very nice, not sure I'll stick with it though as Elite Dangerous has my attention now.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    To be fair to Cave, I doubt one of their design decisions is to use hardware that makes their games easy to pirate emulate. ;)

Good point!

I have ambition to collect the PCBs some day... But not today, I'd be beaten and shot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't believe I only just played Mario 3D Land last night. Such a great game and looks gorgeous for a 3DS title.

Loving racing as a light blue Yoshi in an open wheeled Mercedes !

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Can't believe I only just played Mario 3D Land last night. Such a great game and looks gorgeous for a 3DS title.

Welcome to November 2011 :pac:

Great game alright, really showed what the 3DS was capable of.

Picked up my new PS1 last night from Parcel Motel so the link cable gaming is going to soon commence.

Oh and I can now confirm that 'region free, contact for further details' does indeed mean 'this console has been chipped, burn CDRs to your heart's content' :D

Loving racing as a light blue Yoshi in an open wheeled Mercedes !

Same as, even the same colour (though I swap to black sometimes) with the 'Silver Arrow'.
    The cars don't look quite as out-of-place as I thought they would!

Sure open wheeled racing cars of the 50's were the original scary as feck drift machines.
    The presence of the as yet unreleased dlc on the course select screen is a real tease though!

Yeah, the characters too! And of course, though they're not yet released, I still had to try selecting them...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

Trying to improve my skills after getting hammered by Gradius II at the beers! Not going well so far..

20140831_172322.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement