Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Having recently got gradius V for ps2 I hear your pain. Not easy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I must recommend Gradius Gaiden for the PS, amazing stuff!
    And get this!
    link

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You'll have a tough time with Gradius 3, it's far and away the hardest game in the series. It's just brutal. You really have only one life since once you lose your power ups you are screwed since even to get your ships speed up to a playable level takes so long and one speed up over that will make your ship uncontrollable. Gradius 4 is much easier. The snes version of Gradius 3 is at least manageable.

I'd second Gradius Gaiden and Gradius V. Both are amazing games. Really enjoyed Gradius 2, must pick it up myself!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Brought my PSP to Sligo to finish some games on it. PSP charger is broken :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Brought my PSP to Sligo to finish some games on it. PSP charger is broken :rolleyes:

Damn, I have a spare psp psu right here, could have passed it onto you.
    Actually, watch out for a third party charger , the one to look for charges everything from DS Phat to GBA SP, DSi to PSP.
    I think I've a spare USB cable like that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think I've a spare USB cable like that too.

Yeah I have the USB charge and data cable from dealextreme and its really handy!

http://www.dx.com/p/usb-data-and-charging-cable-for-psp-3000-2000-1000-110cm-length-28732#.VAQa-iVwYm8

Im actually using it for my old iriver h340 mp3 player though as it has the same DC socket as the PSP, I still have yet to own a portable console of any kind! :pac:

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Actually, watch out for a third party charger , the one to look for charges everything from DS Phat to GBA SP, DSi to PSP.

That's the one I have. It's the third one I had break on me, might just look into getting an official one. My own one is US which is a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

You can get them in Dealz I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I found an unused CDR when cleaning up - finally get to try this out!

Crappy photo but it gives you an idea. It runs really great.

IMG_20140901_205352471_zps6f82f474.jpg

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I found an unused CDR when cleaning up - finally get to try this out!

Crappy photo but it gives you an idea. It runs really great.

IMG_20140901_205352471_zps6f82f474.jpg

yOtKhJf.jpg

Master of the Universe

Both TVs are in 16:9 mode ... >_>

Yeah unfortunately only one of my PS1s has a mod chip at the moment, so we are currently locked at 50hz. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I'm back on bubble bobble on my newly acquired bootleg(Custom aladar roms) and I have to say much harder than on mame, on the original BB in mame I can get to level 20 every play on a single lifed and score over 1,500,000 every coin, struggling to get over 1,000,000 on PCB. anyone else notice games played on mame seem to be easier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Check the DIP switches settings ? Yours might be different to the Mame default.

Both TVs are in 16:9 mode ... >_>

Yeah unfortunately only one of my PS1s has a mod chip at the moment, so we are currently locked at 50hz. :(

Why would you do that on a 4:3 screen? Whyyyy?

Master of the Universe

MrVestek wrote: »
    Why would you do that on a 4:3 screen? Whyyyy?

What would 60hz at 16:9 look like on a 4:3 television?

I'll let that sink in for a minute :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

It wasn't those borders that caught my attention, more so the precarious balancing act you've got going on! That Dreamcast is going for a short trip down the back of the monitor sometime soon. :eek:

Actually, is that shelf attached to the wall or just resting on top of the Sony with the PS1s weighing it down?

Master of the Universe

Hahaha! :D

If the Dreamcast worries you then I won't fill you in on the details of that shelf...

Lets just say you really wouldn't want to pick up those PS1s :eek:

Hahaha! :D

If the Dreamcast worries you then I won't fill you in on the details of that shelf...

Lets just say you really wouldn't want to pick up those PS1s :eek:

:pac:

Christ, one of these days you'll forget and... crash! Feck!

What would 60hz at 16:9 look like on a 4:3 television?

I'll let that sink in for a minute :D

It'd have borders which is why I'm asking.

Unless of course you're shamefully running both in 50hz in which case I'll get Retr0 after ya!

Ever since o1s1n admitted to never beating Super Mario World with 96 exits nothing would surprise me :(

• Advertisement

Ever since o1s1n admitted to never beating Super Mario World with 96 exits nothing would surprise me :(

Neither have I. In my defence though I only got a SNES about a month ago. :P

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »

Christ, one of these days you'll forget and... crash! Feck!

Not to worry, the only console that would fall is a Jaguar, so no loss!
    MrVestek wrote: »
    It'd have borders which is why I'm asking.

Unless of course you're shamefully running both in 50hz in which case I'll get Retr0 after ya!

Yep, it would have boarders - so that means someone can't accuse you of running a game in PAL 50hz based purely on boarders :pac:

How do you think I felt, not even knowing there were 96 exits until recently. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yep, it would have boarders - so that means someone can't accuse you of running a game in PAL 50hz based purely on boarders :pac:

C'mon...nobody is buying that...you're a closet PAL lover aren't you :P

Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    C'mon...nobody is buying that...you're a closet PAL lover aren't you :P

I just can't handle full speed games in my old age :(

I'll have the last laugh though when we're all older and everyone is looking for PAL games so they can play with their arthritis.

I just can't handle full speed games in my old age :(

I'll have the last laugh when we're all older and everyone is looking for PAL games so they can play with their arthritis.

I see...that explains why Ciderman only really bothers with a black & white pong machine these days...

Master of the Universe

Word has it his eyes can no longer handle the vibrancy of RGB :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Myrddin wrote: »
    I see...that explains why Ciderman only really bothers with a black & white pong machine these days...

If you'd attended the beers you'd know the Super Pong machine displays in a glorious rainbow colour effect.

And that I'm much better at Pong than Ciderman.

Can you not save this for my Wake?
    Shouldn't be long now , given my advanced years and failing senses :(

Master of the Universe

Mate came over at 8pm, started a link cable game of Final Doom Co-Op.

2 and a half hours later we stopped playing due to one of the discs freezing.

So much fun!

It's quite a difficult game compared to the first and is absolutely manic two player. When you die you respawn, but with no key cards.

So there were bits where he'd have all the key cards but maybe 5% health, and I'd have respawned with no keys and had to act as a bodyguard while he opened the doors.

Then he'd die and we'd have to both go and look for all the key cards all over again.

There really is nothing quite like mowing down a room full of demons with a mate and two chainguns.

Went through all the doom games in co op on ultra violence a few years back in 4 player. Final Doom was insane. Cyber demons and spider masterminds everywhere. Played a bit on nightmare which was crazy. Enemies keep respawning so we would keep players back to clear out choke points while others went ahead to get keys. Lots of very advanced tactics needed!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

We were playing on Hurt Me Plenty and even with that, it was fairly challenging. I can only imagine what Nightmare and Ultraviolence would be like in Final Doom. Especially with a controller! :eek:

Replaying the first Shenmue tonight for the first time since 2007.

Will be streaming the playthrough on Twitch too if any forumites are interested.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finally getting up to the point where I drifted away last time with Earthbound, and am determined to finish it this time. But, once again, I have to express some frustration with the actual RPG side of the game - for all its good ideas (such as rolling health counter, non-random battles), there's so much combat in the game, and the combat system is so basic at times, that I feel it sucks a lot of enjoyment out of it. I love the game world, the strangeness, the presentation, the music, the characters, the stories that develop. But the traditionally 'gamey' side of it? Not so much.

Master of the Universe

I'm playing the sequel at the moment and the combat is a bit more advanced. More interesting use of buffs, an optional rhythm based attack system (if you're that way inclined!) and the bosses seem to take a bit more beating to go down.

I won't remember Earthbound for the battles though, it's just the setting/characters/soundtrack as you said.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'll definitely try to get around to Mother 3 afterwards.

It's just frustrating that in this otherwise excellent game a considerable percentage - close to half, I'd reckon - of your time is spent playing a fairly bog-standard JRPG. It's not awful, it's just merely perfunctory. The 'dungeons' really feel like a chore at times, and it always feels as if you become powerful enough to auto-win a little bit too late for it to make much difference. (Also: this is nitpicking - especially because narratively it actually makes sense - but the fact every new character who joins your party starts on level one drives me mad :p)

I can't wait to see the final chapters of the game because I've read so many good things about them. Shame it's a bit of a slog to get there, which is having a knock-on effect on my opinion of the game generally. I think those frustrations were part of the reason I didn't actually make it to the end two or three years ago.

Ah JU :( I only played Earthbound for the first time properly when it was released on the Wii U VC. Admittedly now I'd be a total rpg noob, but I thouroughly, thouroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. The combat I'd imagine towards other rpg's, is basic...I guess that suited me as I'd no prior experience. But like o1s1n said, I'll remember the game not for the combat, but everything else about it

I found the battle system was a little bit more basic than Dragon Quest as well but the fact that the battles were pretty fast paced made up for it. There's good use of the rolling HP counter sometimes but it is kind of basic. The fact that the battles were fast paced was why I didn't mind it, it would be worse if they were snoozefests that lasted forever like in Legend of Dragoon.

It takes a while to get to Fourside but that's when the game gets very interesting.

Mother 3 is a good bit better. Buffs are more important and the rhythm sub system in the battles is really interesting and fun. The dungeons are much better designed. It's much better paced as well coming in at 20-25 hours and broken into 9 chapters.

Oh another thing to add the battle system is very lie dragon quest to instill the nostalgia in the player which is sadly missed by anyone outside of Japan that didn't grow up with dragon quest.

I spent my evening finishing megaman 2 and castlevania 4. Remember when konami and capcom made great games? Actually remember when they made their own games?

At least there's always dark souls which is pretty much what castlevania in 3D should be and not the lords of shadow games.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

Duke Nukem 3d on the xbox 360! Game holds up very well and is a blast to play with the 360 controller. The respawn feature (where you can spawn at any point from when you started the level to when you died) takes most of the challenge out of the game unfortunately

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Lashed the GNET back into a cab last night and gave Psyvariar (original version, not the revision) a proper blast for the first time.

Have played many a bullet hell game in my time, but my christ, this has to be up there with some of the most complex patterns/versus hitbox size. The ship doesn't have that 'tiny, I'll dodge through rain' feeling that the likes of Cave shmups have.

hqdefault.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3hbLGVAgLIumC80auHPzN4zjxGtjk7WytfKcGMYNrJK6S2nRh

Lashed the GNET back into a cab last night and gave Psyvariar (original version, not the revision) a proper blast for the first time.

Have played many a bullet hell game in my time, but my christ, this has to be up there with some of the most complex patterns/versus hitbox size. The ship doesn't have that 'tiny, I'll dodge through rain' feeling that the likes of Cave shmups have.

hqdefault.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3hbLGVAgLIumC80auHPzN4zjxGtjk7WytfKcGMYNrJK6S2nRh

That's why I can't get another GNet, many of the games worth playing require a Tated monitor and it's just too bloody awkward to do that on the AWSD and swap it back.
    Bugger!
    I'll have to get another cab!

Master of the Universe

You'd easily fit a small candy in that attic of yours ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Hmm might just keep my Gnet so and look into modding it. Price of genuine cards is a bit high for me.

I one credited Psyvariar the first time I played it on PS2. Can't ****ing do it anymore. It was totally bizarre that I managed it.

I one credited Psyvariar the first time I played it on PS2. Can't ****ing do it anymore. It was totally bizarre that I managed it.

You're getting old man, getting old!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Hmm might just keep my Gnet so and look into modding it. Price of genuine cards is a bit high for me.

Ebay can be handy enough for them, people don't tend to bid at all as everyone has flashed mobos :D

Are you sure you didn't just have a seizure from all the colours/booming techno and complete it in your mind while on the floor in convulsions?

That's one amazing feat if you did that, fair play.

Never been able to do it again. I think I just had the equivalent of winning the lottery when I played it and got lucky with the level up invincibility :)

Master of the Universe

You'd easily fit a small candy in that attic of yours ;)

Just saw a converted Mushi King for sale over on J+ (unfortunately it's sold!)

Good comparison shot beside a 29incher - I'd say you'd fit one of them up that spiral staircase :)

10246151_313285125485575_2111368127_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Just saw a converted Mushi King for sale over on J+ (unfortunately it's sold!)

Good comparison shot beside a 29incher - I'd say you'd fit one of them up that spiral staircase :)

10246151_313285125485575_2111368127_n.jpg

You'd need small girlie hands and to be about 4 foot tall to play on that thing :eek:

Steve SI wrote: »
    You'd need small girlie hands and to be about 4 foot tall to play on that thing :eek:

No comment on the 'girlie hands' remark but there is a chair to sit on... ;)

What would bother me though is the screen size, looks too small. What is that, 17/19 inches??

• Advertisement
Advertisement