Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

eddhorse wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of original Wii's on adverts, possibly parents getting Wii U's for the kids for xmas.

So, lots of WiiU's on Adverts in approx 12 months time then? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, lots of WiiU's on Adverts in approx 12 months time then? ;)

Be all trading them in for the next ninty fad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Be all trading them in for the next ninty fad.

:eek:

Well, my WiiU has Bayonetta 2, Super Mario Maker, Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8, not too shabby, for a fad

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    :eek:

Well, my WiiU has Bayonetta 2, Super Mario Maker, Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8, not too shabby, for a fad

Was only joking, it has beefed up its game collection alright. So will be on the lookout for a wel priced one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

I just got to disc 2 in grandia but I'm so tired of it and I might just skip on to grandia II or maybe something from my giant giant ps2 backlog

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you are tired of Grandia one Grandia 2 is not something you want to get into. It's nearly identical except I didn't enjoy it as much so you'll just get burned out.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you are tired of Grandia one Grandia 2 is not something you want to get into. It's nearly identical except I didn't enjoy it as much so you'll just get burned out.

At least I have it for collection purposes :pac:

Was only joking, it has beefed up its game collection alright. So will be on the lookout for a wel priced one.

Sorry, my Ninty fanboi comes out, even when fad isn't such a bad word for some of Nintendo's strategies and "innovations" of late :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Halo CE. The original one on the old fat Xbox, fired it up for an hour earlier and its still fun - graphically is well aged but the 30 seconds of fun formula still holds up well.

Getting as much FF7 in as possible before I start my job.
    UZfXAQW.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The only real way to play FF7 now is on PC with the fan translation. Makes the game a whole lot... well I wouldn't say better but it actually makes sense.

The only real way to play FF7 now is on PC with the fan translation. Makes the game a whole lot... well I wouldn't say better but it actually makes sense.

I actually bought the steam version but it looked so muck on my monitor so I went and re bought the PSX one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭smurf492

eddhorse wrote:
    There seems to be a lot of original Wii's on adverts, possibly parents getting Wii U's for the kids for xmas.

I "borrowed" a Wii off my 10 year old neice! Now i feel guilty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Final Fantasy 6 still. GBA version, playing it on my Gamecube. Looks pretty, no horrible load times and a good translation! Woo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Linoud wrote: »
    Final Fantasy 6 still. GBA version, playing it on my Gamecube. Looks pretty, no horrible load times and a good translation! Woo!

I've been hunting a copy of it for the GBA for the longest time. Was even primed to pick it up in the RAGE 'til they told me the price.

Playing a lot of Daytona USA and House of the Dead 4 at the moment. Daytona, having never played it, surprises me in just how balls-hard it is. Winning a race isn't the hardest thing, but actually finishing one is a different story.

I was playing the HD release on the PS3, I know it looks great but I can't help but have preferred the first Saturn release, as well as the Dreamcast title, man that was amazing, still is.
    In fact, it's striking just how good the Dreamcast Daytona game looks, given how old it is and how aged most racing titles of that era have gotten.
    If you can play it with the DC wheel, you really should, if you only have the standard controller then you need to reduce the controller sensitivity in order to make it playable, otherwise it's impossible.

Playing Mille Miglia and Mille Miglia 2 on the Silverline.
    Also called 1000 mile rally.

Fond memories of these types of racer, would you call them isometric?

http://youtu.be/z8Y2Y1kOnBI

Also playing Super Meat Boy on the Vita.
    My 10 year old nephew told me he was miles ahead so had to knuckle down and play a few hours. On 6-5 now.

smurf492 wrote: »
    I "borrowed" a Wii off my 10 year old neice! Now i feel guilty

They're a great little emulation box if you've a CRT and some RGB scart cables.
    The knockoff classic controllers are just fine (can play street fighter with them no problem) at 4 euro a pop.

I found the emulation pretty awful on the Wii. The WII is a strange console with support for the weird resolutions used by the older systems so it baffles me that the emulators don't use those resolution modes instead doubling vertical and horizontal pixels at intervals which creates a horrible shimmering effect particularly with vertical movement.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I've been hunting a copy of it for the GBA for the longest time. Was even primed to pick it up in the RAGE 'til they told me the price.

Playing a lot of Daytona USA and House of the Dead 4 at the moment. Daytona, having never played it, surprises me in just how balls-hard it is. Winning a race isn't the hardest thing, but actually finishing one is a different story.

What was their price? I picked it up for a tenner at a convention off some trader. Unboxed, just the cartridge though, but easily a steal at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Linoud wrote: »
    What was their price? I picked it up for a tenner at a convention off some trader. Unboxed, just the cartridge though, but easily a steal at that price.

It was 35 for a cart-only copy when I last checked. That was over a year ago, mind.

Ah damn. Not surprised with the Rage though. Their prices are nuts.

Just spent a an hour with Gunbird and it's sequel on the PS2, pretty good, using the Namco stick and the TV in Tate.
    Also, a spot of Sonic Wings, which is a tough bloody game!

Finished Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne/Lucifers Call today. Absolutely fantastic RPG and up there with Persona 3 and 4 as the best RPG on the PS2. It gets so amazing towards the end when the stakes get raised, the story kicks into gear and the dungeons get even more fiendishly designed.

Stuck on that bloody minecart level in DKC1, then when I finally cleared it, I died the next stage and had to go back (no save point).

.. just went back onto super turbo fightcade.

airmax87 wrote: »
    Stuck on that bloody minecart level in DKC1, then when I finally cleared it, I died the next stage and had to go back (no save point).

.. just went back onto super turbo fightcade.

I struggled with the saves alright, especially later in the game.

It's nothing.
    Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze looks like a kids cartoon but plays like Dark Souls 3, so hard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Been playing a little Gain Ground this evening. The music can be a touch repetitive but otherwise I love it. Funny how the game never got some sort of follow up because its as unique now as it ever was.

One thing that occurred to me today playing Mega Drive ROMs as opposed to modern games is I miss being able to up the music volume and lower the sfx volume in some games. Is that a feature they've ever added to emulators?

Only certain games have that kind of option, and even then it was because, in the likes of Road Rash 2, there was only so many sound channels so you could have music or effects.

When you got to the CD based machines you had consoles that streamed the music from CD but played the sound effects through hardware and software, so it was more natural for a developer to offer a separate volume for each in settings.

• Advertisement

Finally beat my attention span and made it to disc 2 of an RPG (ff7 in this case)

Halfway there then. Second disc is much shorter and also the third disc is only one dungeon, the third disc was only added because the final cutscene didn't fit on disc 2.

Halfway there then. Second disc is much shorter and also the third disc is only one dungeon, the third disc was only added because the final cutscene didn't fit on disc 2.

Might go back and finish grandia after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I remember being really let down at the time when the third disc (and therefore game) ended so quickly. Thought I had another good 10 hours ahead at least.

Have to say, Elite Dangerous is fantastic, a few hours into it this morning, class stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

Completed Super Mario Land last night, such a great little game with an excellent soundtrack

IMG_20160128_015625.jpg

• Advertisement

Yeah, loved that game.
    Must get around to completing Super Mario Land 2.

I love how weird the Mario Land games are. They just have so many quirks that make them that little bit different to the main Mario games. It was only years later that I found out it's because they were made by R&D1 who usually do the Metroid games and not the usual Mario team.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

I've just started Zelda: Oracle of Seasons on the 3DS VC, I'd completed Oracle of Ages a while back so I started this with the password I had from that game, it's pretty cool the way they all know you at the start!

This is the only Zelda game I've never played so I'm looking forward to playing it some more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've just started Zelda: Oracle of Seasons on the 3DS VC, I'd completed Oracle of Ages a while back so I started this with the password I had from that game, it's pretty cool the way they all know you at the start!

This is the only Zelda game I've never played so I'm looking forward to playing it some more!

I'll be doing that at some stage this year too, but the other way around (completed Seasons, so starting Ages with the password). Apparently Ages is balls hard :(

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'll be doing that at some stage this year too, but the other way around (completed Seasons, so starting Ages with the password). Apparently Ages is balls hard :(

I didn't think it was that hard, if you've played any Zelda games before then you shouldn't have a problem with it! I really enjoyed it, did you play Link's Awakening as well?

• Advertisement

I didn't think it was that hard, if you've played any Zelda games before then you shouldn't have a problem with it! I really enjoyed it, did you play Link's Awakening as well?

To my shame, Link's Awakening is one of the few Zelda titles I've yet to play. This summer....

To my shame, Link's Awakening is one of the few Zelda titles I've yet to play. This summer....

It's certainly worth picking up, I first played it on the original gameboy when it came out and I was blown away with the size of the world on a handheld, I'd played A Link to the past on the Snes and it was like playing that on my gameboy, so I have fond memories of it.

When it was released on the virtual console I picked it up and it still holds up as a classic, there's a lot of quirky humour in it, it's a must for any Zelda fan I reckon!

I have a loose cart of Link's Awakening DX. I plan to pick up a CIB copy at some stage, as I'm trying to collect all Zelda games complete in box (CDi monstrosities aside).

In the summer I plan on picking up an old/battered Gameboy, and fitting a replacement shell to it, and also doing the backlight/bivert mod. So once done, I plan on playing through Link's Awakening on it :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I have a loose cart of Link's Awakening DX. I plan to pick up a CIB copy at some stage, as I'm trying to collect all Zelda games complete in box (CDi monstrosities aside).

In the summer I plan on picking up an old/battered Gameboy, and fitting a replacement shell to it, and also doing the backlight/bivert mod. So once done, I plan on playing through Link's Awakening on it :)

It'll work on your GBA too if you have one, for a bit of added colour. :)

Prolly look great via a Super Gameboy as well.

Excellent, I'd follow Andrew's advice and use a GBA with a backlight! The virtual console versions do have added bonus of the restore points though which can make tricky parts a bit easier!!

Excellent, I'd follow Andrew's advice and use a GBA with a backlight! The virtual console versions do have added bonus of the restore points though which can make tricky parts a bit easier!!

I have two GBA's, the original one which is ergonomically but better hasn't got a great screen...and an SP, which has a good screen but isn't the best to use ergonomically. I think the best bet, is the original GBA modded with the AGS-101 screen.

I think I have both Oracle games on the 3DS too, though I kinda wanna play them on the original hardware (I played Seasons on the SP rather than the 3DS).

I have two GBA's, the original one which is ergonomically but better hasn't got a great screen...and an SP, which has a good screen but isn't the best to use ergonomically. I think the best bet, is the original GBA modded with the AGS-101 screen.

I think I have both Oracle games on the 3DS too, though I kinda wanna play them on the original hardware (I played Seasons on the SP rather than the 3DS).

Good work, I can remember trying to play that original GBA with no backlight and it was almost impossible unless you sat under a lamp!!

I was playing through Ages on my GBA SP and accidentally hit off the cartridge that was sticking out from the end and it somehow corrupted my save file so I didn't bother going back to it until the 3DS version came out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Started used my Retropie again last night.

Spent a good while playing a brilliant classic - Streets of Rage 2. It holds up so well, great gameplay, clean graphics and a great soundtrack. That soundtrack would be good even in a game today.

Then switched to PS and played a bit of Nuclear Strike, used to love the Strike games.

Determined to focus on SOR2 for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Decided to get stuck back into Xenoblade Chronicles again. Determined to finish it before starting the Wii U game.

Really enjoying it and it's great, but it feels 'too big' for the 3DS. Not sure if it's the resolution or the screen size (and I'm playing it on the XL version!) but it's just like I can't get the full scope and scale of the environments. Like I'm looking at an amazing, vast landscape through a letterbox.

• Advertisement
Advertisement