Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

airmax87 wrote: »
    Down in Celbridge area but work in baggot st mon-fri if thats any use ?

Send me a PM there.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, GBA VC on the Wii-U.

It's kinda strange, it apes Mario RPG a lot, but adds in these finicky button combos which, after 3 hours in, still aren't intuitive (which you can probaly chalk up to its emulation, I guess). The balance is a bit off too, where if you turn right instead of left, you end up fighting random battles with enemies 10 times stronger than you. The reliance on the rhythmic defense/offense is almost cruel as well. Otherwise, the standard of difficulty is the usual Mario RPG below-average. Them spikes, like.

Otherwise, it's stuff with the usual Mario RPG brand of wit, warmth and absurdity, just slightly disappointed in how it all comes together.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really enjoyed the game and had no problems with button timing. I'm guessing it's the usual LCD lag issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Silhouette Mirage is mental.
    Trying to figure out the bonkers rules....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

A little over a year ago, I moved here to NL. Bought a PS1 for €10 from a CEX type place. Played Gran Turismo 2 a lot and then sorta just stopped playing. But I'm back playing it a lot again. On ~67% completion now. Have even for the first time ever actually been doing the Endurance races.

I had GT2 when I was about 11, so the nostalgia is just amazing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭da gamer

Took out the nes for the first time in a looooong time. Playing kabuki quantum fighter at the moment. It's a super side scrolling platformer that can be quiet challenging, I'd recommend it to anyone who is a fan of metroid-espue platformers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Went back to Castlevania IV today after playing a lot of Castlevania XX.

First thing to notice - dear lord, the visuals! You really can see how much SNES sprite art and hardware exploitation developed over the console's life. Its quite jarring actually.

Still, for all its visual mode 7 fancy, XX is still ridiculously inferior to IV. Its just nowhere near as playable.

Weird you mention that. I just finished Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow this morning and was looking around for another entry to play and , I dunno, the janky quality of IV really stood out to me. Always thought it was a later game, but nope, 1991.

Anyways, it's that time of the year again where I'm decked with deadlines, exams, work stuff and other commitments and I somehow stave it all off by ploughing through my backlog. Getting to grips with the original F-Zero on the Wii VC (one of the few titles they have that's not a PAL version). Kinda similar to the Castlevania point above, where it lacks the visual and mechanic smoothness one'd eventually come to expect. F-Zero really punishes where one fails to master how to lean-in to the corner. Later entries'd be a bit more forgiving, such as the GBA titles, with an on-and-off lean/turn, but nope, not here, if don't perfectly angle and execute the turn then you're hopping off the rails and crashing out. I can kinda feel this is gonna be on of those "white whale" games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Went back to Castlevania IV today after playing a lot of Castlevania XX.

First thing to notice - dear lord, the visuals! You really can see how much SNES sprite art and hardware exploitation developed over the console's life. Its quite jarring actually.

Still, for all its visual mode 7 fancy, XX is still ridiculously inferior to IV. Its just nowhere near as playable.

The soundtrack though is near peerless.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The soundtrack though is near peerless.

Indeed, its leagues ahead of the art direction, in fact I think it makes the visual limitations even more jarring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 spankrocket

I'm playing Unreal Tournament 99 and UT 2004, can't belive the servers are still active all these years, I'm also playing the **** out of Brutal Doom, and I found a cool mod for doom 2 called Demon Steele, which is a mix of anime and doom, its wicked stuff

still to this day I'm playing Streets of Rage 2, that's my fave brawler of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭gymman39

Played some metal slug today on my gpd xd..great game

gymman39 wrote: »
    Played some metal slug today on my gpd xd..great game

Still my favourite of the original SNK-led 3(or 4, technically). The first one is a typical arcade game, where you're getting nothing for free, but it doesn't rip the mick like 2/X and 3, which become less games and more coin-extraction devices in their second-halves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I nearly prefer In The Hunt, same team but pre SNK, just an incredible amount of character in what is a side scrolling shooter.

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I nearly prefer In The Hunt, same team but pre SNK, just an incredible amount of character in what is a side scrolling shooter.

Its fantastic alright, but it still isn't in the same league as the original Metal Slug IMO.

Between the slowdown and massive hitbox, I find much of it unplayable. Frustratingly so.

...although maybe I'm just **** :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Metal slug 6 on the cab via demul.more of the same but very enjoyable none the less.

Also some street fighter alpha 2 on groovymame. Never been good at the sf games but I've always found alpha 2 accessible with a great art style. Nice level of speed and fluidity too.

I absolutely adore the SNES port of Alpha 2. It feels like it's a product of a coding challenge and they just released it when some chap did the impossible.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I absolutely adore the SNES port of Alpha 2. It feels like it's a product of a coding challenge and they just released it when some chap did the impossible.

Yeah
    Some stunning stuff in the last days of the SNES
    From Alpha 2 and Yoshi's Island to Donkey Kong Country 3 and , latest of all, Kirby's Dreamland 3 in 97.

Ah DKC 3. Played it for the first time a couple years back and it has this wonderful end-of-Summer melancholy atmosphere. Does it so well it kinda obscures the fact that you can trace the origins of Rare's shift to "let's hide lots of content behind collect-a-thons" philosophy.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Two hours into Rule of Rose for the first time and I just won my first battle - by frantically stabbing some odd thing to death with a fork.

What a peculiar game.

My advice is to run away from every battle you don't have to fight. They're all **** and you gain nothing from them.

Wait until you come up against the awful bosses :)

Oh and have brown look for healing items or you'll run out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

Virtua Striker 2 - Terrible camera angle makes it not fun to play. Thumbs down.

Virtua Tennis - Great fun. Used to be excellent at it but not now. :mad: Yevgeny Kafelnikov. :mad:

Resident Evil 2 - I am terrible at it.

Pier Solar - Going to start soon. Looking forward to it. I knew there was a MD version but only recently found out about DC version.

Pier Solar - Going to start soon. Looking forward to it. I knew there was a MD version but only recently found out about DC version.

It's unfortunately a bit on the crappy side. It's much better as a Megadrive showcase, you keep going just to see what they managed to pull off on a stock MD put once it's ported to better hardware you realise it's all so generic.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Just started a replay of A Link to the Past again but on the N3DS which I think is the NTSC version which I've never before played.

This is still my favourite Zelda game, maybe even favourite game ever! Looking forward to a quick run around Hyrule :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Just finished the Revenge of Shinobi for the first time in the 23 years I have owned the game.
    I even got the good ending

9ZFvvNwl.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I started Pokemon Yellow on my 3DS on the plane journey home last week, so much fun, I thought it would be hard to get into again.
    I'd love to get Soul Silver or Heart Gold next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Just finished the Revenge of Shinobi for the first time in the 23 years I have owned the game.
    I even got the good ending

9ZFvvNwl.png

Wow good work ! Might try that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

eddhorse wrote: »
    Wow good work ! Might try that

Such a good game. I was playing "Super Shinobi" (Japanese version), I don't think there would be much difference apart from the name?

I started Pokemon Yellow on my 3DS on the plane journey home last week, so much fun, I thought it would be hard to get into again.
    I'd love to get Soul Silver or Heart Gold next.

I just finished Link to the past on the 3DS and I have Pokemon Yellow to play now as well, my first Pokemon game was Silver so I'm looking forward to playing this for the first time!

• I'm trying to get through Castlevania: Symphony of the Night as I have heard great things about it and never played it before. It's got a real Metroid vibe about the game-play which I like.
    However, I'm already stuck and only an hour in :/
    Killed the first Boss but no idea how to get past the blocked paths in the next rooms

Also getting through Duke Nukem 64 & Odin Sphere.

• Advertisement

The first boss should be the tag team with the flying guy and the guy with the spear. After that there's two ways to go, but the most direct way is to head to the far right of the map so you can start climbing the tower and take a detour to the left. Also there should be a switch you can hit in the long corridor to get there that opens a hole in the floor so you can progress downwards. Remember some of the abilities you get can open doors. I know that game so well now that it's second nature to me so I forget the flow of the beginning of the game :)

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The first boss should be the tag team with the flying guy and the guy with the spear. After that there's two ways to go, but the most direct way is to head to the far right of the map so you can start climbing the tower and take a detour to the left. Also there should be a switch you can hit in the long corridor to get there that opens a hole in the floor so you can progress downwards. Remember some of the abilities you get can open doors. I know that game so well now that it's second nature to me so I forget the flow of the beginning of the game :)

Yep that's the boss I beat. Great, I will give this a whirl later this evening.
    Loving the art style / music in the game also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Wazoid

I've mostly been playing Ristar on MD the last few days. I always wanted it as a kid but never got to play it unfortunately, until now! Loving it, very simple mechanic (grab things) but used in great and inventive ways. Also been playing Comix Zone again, forgot how devastatingly hard it is!

Master of the Universe

Two really gorgeous looking games too. It's a shame that the difficulty level in Comix Zone is so high, it does detract from the game somewhat. Still great fun though.

Two really gorgeous looking games too. It's a shame that the difficulty level in Comix Zone is so high, it does detract from the game somewhat. Still great fun though.

Yeah, Comix Zone still looks so beautiful to this day. I think that's the only reason I keep booting it up! If only there was some sort of easy/I'm a wuss mode so I could see more of the game, haha!

I think Comix Zone is one of those games that represents the gulf between MD and Snes.
    Where today we have cross platform releases with mostly minor differences and exclusives that for no real reason are anchored to a single format, we once saw companies in Sega and Nintendo that were as different as their consoles.
    Comix Zone, Toejam & Earl, LHX Attack Chopper, these are titles which simply never would have found themselves on a Snes.
    I think some of it is the cross pollination of Amiga programmers into the MD developement pool, and it brought a certain approach.

Yup, totally agree. In one way it's a shame that today's consoles are essentially the same box with the odd few exclusives but I guess the market is so big now that it makes fiscal sense to get your games out to the widest possible audience.

Wazoid wrote: »
    Yup, totally agree. In one way it's a shame that today's consoles are essentially the same box with the odd few exclusives but I guess the market is so big now that it makes fiscal sense to get your games out to the widest possible audience.

As a matter of interest, how long have you been playing games, have you developed much of a collection?
    Is this your first time knocking around this forum?

Master of the Universe

As a matter of interest, how long have you been playing games, have you developed much of a collection?

May I just add, and what... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

An African or European swallow?

• Advertisement

I am indeed a boards noob! I'm 35 and have been playing games since I was about 10 or 11 I guess when I got a hand me down Atari 2600. Quickly moved onto the Mega Drive and then up through the generations. Unfortunately I sold everything as I was growing up to fund newer consoles/games etc. so my collection isn't huge.

Bought a Mega Drive again late last year and have been collecting ever since. Only have about 40 MD games, 50 odd original Xbox, and a smattering of other games and consoles. MD and OG Xbox were the consoles I loved the most growing up so I've decided to concentrate on them two for the moment. Just trying to get to know the retro community in Ireland, have some good banter with some like minded souls and hopefully get some good deals along the way! ;)

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Yep that's the boss I beat. Great, I will give this a whirl later this evening.
    Loving the art style / music in the game also.

There's some annoying parts to the game that can block you off if you aren't paying attention to the text... which is badly translated. There's a secret near a waterfall that you need to uncover to unlock a massive section of the castle involving a donkey kong skeleton type enemy... try and figure it out :)

May I just add, and what... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

I seek the Grail, surely that's enough! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Wazoid wrote: »
    I am indeed a boards noob! I'm 35 and have been playing games since I was about 10 or 11 I guess when I got a hand me down Atari 2600. Quickly moved onto the Mega Drive and then up through the generations. Unfortunately I sold everything as I was growing up to fund newer consoles/games etc. so my collection isn't huge.

Bought a Mega Drive again late last year and have been collecting ever since. Only have about 40 MD games, 50 odd original Xbox, and a smattering of other games and consoles. MD and OG Xbox were the consoles I loved the most growing up so I've decided to concentrate on them two for the moment. Just trying to get to know the retro community in Ireland, have some good banter with some like minded souls and hopefully get some good deals along the way! ;)

Well, if you are not to far from north co Dublin you're welcome to the get together of us all this Saturday evening.
    There's lots of chat about games, consoles, hotpants and CDi.
    Some of that is not true, one is regrettably possible

Well, if you are not to far from north co Dublin you're welcome to the get together of us all this Saturday evening.
    There's lots of chat about games, consoles, hotpants and CDi.
    Some of that is not true, one is regrettably possible

Hotpants are my other passion, how did you know?!? ;) I may be a super noob but even I know about Steve X2's strange CDi obsession, haha!

Thanks for the invite, I'm only up in Islandbridge so would be well on for a meet up but I have plans this Saturday. Next one ye's do, I'll be all over it, I'll wear my best hot pants and all! ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not strictly hot pants but reminded me of this equally disturbing image. :pac:

flanders-ski-suit-deadhomersociety1.png

Stupid sexy Flanders!

I finished Wonder Project J just there as part of the new boards.ie games club, which I'm hoping takes off.

I really liked it. It's not perfect but it's so quirky and full of heart I couldn't help but love it. There's really nothing else like it.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I finished Wonder Project J just there as part of the new boards.ie games club, which I'm hoping takes off.

I really liked it. It's not perfect but it's so quirky and full of heart I couldn't help but love it. There's really nothing else like it.

What's the boards.ie games club might I ask??

Advertisement