Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    I guess it's just shocking to see the price increase from cira 150 euro to over 500 in a matter of 2-3 years.

I think it's been mad money for a bit longer. I got my copy about three years ago I'd say, & was up near €400 I think. Actually, weren't you looking for an excuse to obscene purchase lately? There ya go o1s :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    I think it's been mad money for a bit longer. I got my copy about three years ago I'd say, & was up near €400 I think. Actually, weren't you looking for an excuse to obscene purchase lately? There ya go o1s :D

Hah! I think I've started getting to that age where 2-3 years in my mind is at least 5-6 in reality :eek:

If I spent €400 on a CD based game I'd end up with it stored in Pyongyang levels of OCD poly bags and only take it out while wearing jewler's gloves. And that would just be to give it a sniff and put it away again.

You'd want to see me opening up the Panzer Dragoon Saga outer cardboard sleeve, I look like I'm trying to steal the Mona Lisa from it's hermetically-sealed enclosure.

If I spent €400 on a CD based game I'd end up with it stored in Pyongyang levels of OCD poly bags and only take it out while wearing jewler's gloves. And that would just be to give it a sniff and put it away again.

Lol, not far off what I do :D Chuffed to have the game, but is without a doubt the most expensive game I've ever bought. I guess it comes down to what a game means to each person, for most, it's worth nowhere near that amount of money, to me though, it was. I played it at a time of my life where I wanted to play something different, and Snatcher was, well, exactly that. Love the game to bits.
    You'd want to see me opening up the Panzer Dragoon Saga outer cardboard sleeve, I look like I'm trying to steal the Mona Lisa from it's hermetically-sealed enclosure.

arajuku-Girl-Costume2.jpg

Master of the Universe

Ah yeah, sometimes you just have to take the plunge! Especially if it means that much to you.

I suppose if Sonic 1 was super rare, I didn't have a copy now and the few occasional copies that turn up on ebay sold for €500 each I'd probably pay that too.

I suppose if Sonic 1 was super rare, I didn't have a copy now and the few occasional copies that turn up on ebay sold for €500 each I'd probably pay that too.

Same :o Alarming, isn't it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For anyone that thinks they want to play Twin Snakes, you don't. It's a much inferior version of the original. Stick with MGS1, there's nothing really to be gained from playing Twin Snakes unless you are a fan of laughably bad cutscenes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    For anyone that thinks they want to play Twin Snakes, you don't. It's a much inferior version of the original. Stick with MGS1, there's nothing really to be gained from playing Twin Snakes unless you are a fan of laughably bad cutscenes.

See, told you...

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Is it really that bad? I always just thought it was just like the original but with MGS2 controls?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

UK magazines were always not so enamoured by Castlevania and Megaman. I remember a Megaman X review in a U.K. Mag and they gave it 6 out of 10. I was perplexed as I loved the Megaman games I played on the NES.

With symphony of the night I was randomly browsing through a magazine and saw a review for SotN. Thought it looked incredible in screenshots then I got to the score. 7 out of 10. Would have put me off it if I had a PS1. When I did get a PS1 the game had become impossible to find. Only got a copy when a relative of mine turned out to be an accountant at Konami and sent me a spare review copy.

It was much more highly rated in the US.

As for the load times, SotN has the best loading screen ever. Loved messing around with the loading sign while I waited.
    at the time it had that "uuurgh 2d platformer "stigma attached.
    I could have bought a copy for 20 quid a few months after release but I didnt...arrgh regret!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is it really that bad? I always just thought it was just like the original but with MGS2 controls?

It's not a total trainwreck. It is however a vastly inferior experience to the original. The original is a much better game.

The game adds FPS aiming which the game wasn't designed for which really breaks the game and makes it super easy.
    It looks nicer but is badly coded so suffers from terrible framerate issues.
    Konami cheaped out on the actors as well and it was only David Hayter that managed to get everyone on board again after discussion. So you have a lot of the actors being pissed off how they were treated and phoning in their performance.
    And then you have the cutscenes which have been made absolutely ludicrous. They are pants on head stupid. Of course you might like seeing Solid Snake back flip on to a missile then jump off it and fire a stinger missile at a Hind D while upside down but I rather when there was at least some suspension of disbelief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Dr Bob wrote: »
    at the time it had that "uuurgh 2d platformer "stigma attached.

It kinda felt like a law for games to be 3D in the late '90s. Well, it wasn't exactly a law, but 3D was the hot new trend back then.

Master of the Universe

It kinda felt like a law for games to be 3D in the late '90s. Well, it wasn't exactly a law, but 3D was the hot new trend back then.

It was law as far as Sega and the Saturn in the west went :(

So many great games missed out on or with extremely low print runs.

The surprise launch killed the Saturn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Was it not Sega and their treatment of smaller retailers, a very high rrp, a poor launch line up and difficult metal to code for that killed the Saturn?
    Oh, and also the release of some obscure little console that no one ever heard of from first timers Sony? ;)

Master of the Universe

'299'

No more Sega.

:(

• Retr0gamer wrote: »

Fail on so many levels

The surprise launch killed the Saturn.

Bernie Stollar was the nail in the coffin. His no 2D games and RPGs policy as head of playstation on the US helped the PS1 look very modern around launch but when he went to Sega and applied it, it was a disaster. The Saturn had an absolute wealth of RPG's and quirky 2D games and it could have been a good cult console. But they were blocked from release.

In comparison the PS1 free from Bernies restrictions built up one of the most eclectic and diverse libraries of any console. FF7 then made RPG'S the military shooters of that gen.

Have to agree there was a big anti 2D sentiment then. There was uproar that digitiser gave it's game of the year to yoshis island instead of resident evil. It wasn't just from publishers but from the consumer as well.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Fail on so many levels

Tell us more!

Hard to believe then that we had a Sega forum once upon a time, and as the brand lost momentum so it was matched with the moderator there sliding into despondency and, eventually, madness....

like madness
    giphy.gif

not Madness
    giphy.gif

Quite literally the dumbest **** ever until Kojima topped it with the 'Will you marry me' scene in MGS4

I never thought any game would beat chu chu being crucified in Xenogears for in terms of dumb.

• Advertisement

That was excellent

It's not a total trainwreck. It is however a vastly inferior experience to the original. The original is a much better game.

The game adds FPS aiming which the game wasn't designed for which really breaks the game and makes it super easy.
    It looks nicer but is badly coded so suffers from terrible framerate issues.
    Konami cheaped out on the actors as well and it was only David Hayter that managed to get everyone on board again after discussion. So you have a lot of the actors being pissed off how they were treated and phoning in their performance.
    And then you have the cutscenes which have been made absolutely ludicrous. They are pants on head stupid. Of course you might like seeing Solid Snake back flip on to a missile then jump off it and fire a stinger missile at a Hind D while upside down but I rather when there was at least some suspension of disbelief.

The stupid cutscenes has me more interested now! :) I'll keep my expectations low and if I hate it I can just replay the original and put Twin Snakes away, it could be worth a few quid in the future!

• The stupid cutscenes has me more interested now! :) I'll keep my expectations low and if I hate it I can just replay the original and put Twin Snakes away, it could be worth a few quid in the future!

Honestly, it's one of the best remasters ever made. Don't mind that!
    You would swear that the original MGS had nothing action movie orientated / fantastical about it the way he / she is going on :P

Master of the Universe

Quite literally the dumbest **** ever until Kojima topped it with the 'Will you marry me' scene in MGS4

I never thought any game would beat chu chu being crucified in Xenogears for in terms of dumb.

Dear god! It's Metal Gear Solid meets Last Action Hero. But not in a good way :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Playing with my Spectrum Vega+ earlier and now going to give the Coleco Chameleon a go for a few hours...

Dear god! It's Metal Gear Solid meets Last Action Hero. But not in a good way :eek:

Watching the cutscenes is like being bukakked with stupid.

They were directed by the guy that directed versus, ryuhei kitamura. Heard good things about the film so thought it would be a good fit. Saw the film much later and it was garbage.

Watching the cutscenes is like being bukakked with stupid.

They were directed by the guy that directed versus, ryuhei kitamura. Heard good things about the film so thought it would be a good fit. Saw the film much later and it was garbage.

I never actually watched that Versus movie, I remember seeing the dvd in Xtra Vision and wondering if it was any good, I just watched the trailer and it looks dreadful!

I'll still play through Twin Snakes at some point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Rygar is breaking my bloody heart. Just cannot clear it in one sweep. Definitely feel it's a faster game than what used to be in the arcades (my excuse anyway :o).

Master of the Universe

Any of you dudes ever try and 1cc Streets of Rage 2? I thought I'd give it a go last night - more difficult than you'd think!

Managed to finish stages 1-4 without losing a single life, so at that stage I was convinced I was going to 1 life the whole game...yeah, no.

Stages 4-8 really get punishing when you're literally trying to take no hits at all. It does really show though how amazing the game is, loads of brilliant strategies come out that you don't really consider unless you're playing like this. Even things like using enemies as projectiles against bosses becomes a major tool.

Anyway, managed to get to the final screen before the last boss, the last recycled boss on the elevator - and died :mad:

Not joking, my thumbs were in bits at that stage and it was a serious test of both mental and physical endurance. I just wanted it to end. The amount of palette swapped bosses at that stage is mad. I lost count at how many times I'd killed that rocketeer dude.

Final score achieved on 1 credit on the final stage, second last screen. So bloody close!! :mad:

IMG_20180222_194503149.jpg

I decided to press continue and finish the game, did it with one extra life. Which is an absolute kick in the balls. So it's a 1.1cc if that counts? :D Adam was still saved...

Capture.png
    where can i upload pictures to share for free

I will not be trying that again anytime soon :eek:

• Advertisement

Got a PS1 yesterday, with Metal Gear Solid, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, Gran Turismo, F1 2000 and FIFA 99. Unfortunately, the 2 included controllers weren't DualShocks, which we plan on getting sometime.

And an interesting vid on the legal battle with emulation, focusing on two PS1 emulators.

Any of you dudes ever try and 1cc Streets of Rage 2? I thought I'd give it a go last night - more difficult than you'd think!

Managed to finish stages 1-4 without losing a single life, so at that stage I was convinced I was going to 1 life the whole game...yeah, no.

Stages 4-8 really get punishing when you're literally trying to take no hits at all. It does really show though how amazing the game is, loads of brilliant strategies come out that you don't really consider unless you're playing like this. Even things like using enemies as projectiles against bosses becomes a major tool.

Anyway, managed to get to the final screen before the last boss, the last recycled boss on the elevator - and died :mad:

Not joking, my thumbs were in bits at that stage and it was a serious test of both mental and physical endurance. I just wanted it to end. The amount of palette swapped bosses at that stage is mad. I lost count at how many times I'd killed that rocketeer dude.

Final score achieved on 1 credit on the final stage, second last screen. So bloody close!! :mad:

I decided to press continue and finish the game, did it with one extra life. Which is an absolute kick in the balls. So it's a 1.1cc if that counts? :D Adam was still saved...

I will not be trying that again anytime soon :eek:

That's pretty impressive, I listened to the Cane and Rinse podcasts about Streets of Rage recently and it made me want to play through them again so I picked them up on 3DS and the best thing about that version is the one hit KO mode, I used to be good at it when I was younger but I don't think I'd be able to devote my time to it again, instead I ran through it killing everyone quickly and enjoying some of the best music ever produced in a Mega Drive game!

Obligatory KimJustice vid (and an awesome one at that)

When I was really good at those games I gave it a go. Best I did was get to Shiva, the boss before the final boss. That boss is a complete bellend.

Finished Limbo the other night (not exactly retro I know). What a gorgeous little game.

Finished Limbo the other night (not exactly retro I know). What a gorgeous little game.

Found it pretty but vapid. The puzzles near the end felt hit and miss with some bad design decisions in some areas and the ending was rubbish, the whole 'story' was just pretentious mush. I enjoyed it but I wouldn't call it a classic.

The team's next game Inside however is a different beast, now that game is incredible and the real deal.

• Advertisement

and the ending was rubbish, the whole 'story' was just pretentious mush.

Even considering the 'ending' and 'story' are more or less left to the player to decide upon their meaning? I thought it was great, controlled great, looked great, sounded great, & was the perfect no-nonsense short game to enjoy after BotW :)

I loved Limbo, the only blip was that last, very last puzzle that leads to the end scene.
    But the follow up Inside is gobsmacking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Still plugging away at battletoads on the NES.

Have made it to level 7 - Volkmire's Inferno

The turbo tunnel has become super easy, can get through it without dying once. Find level 5 - Surf City more frustrating.

After the first go of the snakes level I thought I'd get through it handy enough but then spent ages on it.

Even considering the 'ending' and 'story' are more or less left to the player to decide upon their meaning?

I've no issue with that at all. For me however Limbo was just a series of vaguely visually interesting vignettes stapled together and then left up to the audience to interpret when really there was no real creative vision behind it. It just feels a bit lazy compared to contemporaries like Braid or the spiritual follow up Inside.

In other words if you liked Limbo then Inside is a million times better.

Master of the Universe

Bit of the oul Namco shootfest today.

I actually just received a PS2 jammacon adapter from The Last Bandit recently, so going to see if I can run this in a cab next.

IMG_20180228_153138297.jpg
    temp image host

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

That still works ? :)

Master of the Universe

That still works ? :)

Absolutely perfectly :D, Rapid fire and all.

Actually I just contacted a dude on ebay selling the holster section from the arcade machine for fairly cheap. Thinking of maybe building some kind of pedestal for it.

Master of the Universe

Cool, he had a red one left, picked one up.

The top part is actually a lot bigger than I thought! :eek:

So I actually have all main components of the pedestal now, just have to connect them all up.

5722782.jpg

Completed Kung Fu on the NES. Fun game, very short when you get a handle on it.

Some end screens:

IMAG1312.jpg

IMAG1325.jpg

IMAG1334.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I used to play that a ton on the Atari 2600. One of the rare instances on that system of a game not losing much in translation other than graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just found this sub forum :)

Playing Skitchin on the Mega Drive at the moment. Never knew of it until recently and being a fan of Road Rash I decided to pick it up.

Also playing Alien Trilogy on the Saturn as I just recently picked one up and was playing Crazy Taxi on Dreamcast before the laser broke. Need to open it up and try adjusting it. Not many of them going these days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

My Dreamcast kept overheating I opened it up, bent some piece in there I was told to on Youtube, put it back together sorted it out in 15minutes. Should be able to get a new laser for 20 quid I'm not sure how much more involved the process of replacing that is though.

Completed Kabuki Quantum Fighter on the NES. Great game, will definitely play it again soon. Great music, very eerie feeling throughout the game.

Took me a while to realise you can swap health for chip (weapon ammo) and vice versa, pretty much a necessity for the final boss.

IMAG1343.jpg

IMAG1345.jpg

IMAG1346.jpg

IMAG1347.jpg

IMAG1348.jpg

IMAG1350.jpg

IMAG1357.jpg

IMAG1359.jpg

I started playing through Alundra on the PS1 last night. I had the game as a child and got stuck at a puzzle in the crypt. Got past it using the help of the internet. Turns out i'd been doing the puzzle in reverse all those years ago..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I started playing through Alundra on the PS1 last night. I had the game as a child and got stuck at a puzzle in the crypt. Got past it using the help of the internet. Turns out i'd been doing the puzzle in reverse all those years ago..:)

Oh Man, I remember that puzzle, or at least one puzzle in that Crypt. I ended up writing out all of the different possible combinations and then crossing them off as I attempted each. Like you, I was sure of the logic of the order but ended up getting to only 5 or 6 final available options and boom, then it worked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement