Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

briany wrote: »
    A great value game. Hours and hours of playtime just trying to finish each puzzle once, never mind going back and trying to beat your times.

A sequel exists on the GB which, like the SNES picross, was only released in Japan. English translated repros do exist, though.

I stuck them on a flash cart for my GBMicro, so I could run them via a suitable emulator (the GBMicro doesn't natively play GB games) and they were great, I also played the Snes one as well, just fantastic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm hear to say that Picross is an absolutely disgusting series of games and should be wiped from the face of the earth.

I have Picross games on the DS, 3DS and Switch. Everytime I turn on one of those systems trying to decide what to play I decide on 5 minutes of Picross. 3 hours later I still have made no dent in each systems library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Thought I'd be playing resident evil 3 remake by now (that's some ad campaign capcom are running with the pandemic! ), but it's not happening until the courier/post gets it sorted.

So, after packing away most arcade stuff for a big move (which won't happen now, thanks capcpom), I dug Aliens out for a blast. Still trying to 1cc it, got as far as the second apc level.

If you're any fan of the Cameron film, you've just got to check it out, easily top 5 games for me and THE Aliens game. Great two player, varied levels (descending into the reactor while protecting the elevator cables is cool), great music, great graphics for the time, just great. Play it on mame, get the board, put it on hardest difficulty and grab that flamethrower :)

DSC-2051.jpg

DSC-2053.jpg

DSC-2058.jpg

Aliens-Flyer.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a contra game dressed up as a Aliens game.

I really like it but find the level variety lessens as you get further in the game and it ends up a little bit of a slog.

In terms of Aliens based arcade games, my heart still belongs to Capcoms AvP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Finished Resident Evil 3 remake the other day, not as good as 2 but still enjoyable. I'll probably start an S Rank run next.

Haven't touched anything retro in ages, must dust off something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just playing a spot of Salamander and Parodius Da! on the TG-16 via the new AV adapter and it all looks very nice on the 29" Trini.
    The XE-1pc stick really hits the spot as well, as a controller.
    I don't actually have a traditional control pad for my TG-16, only a nasty little stick that came with it, aside from the excellent Micomsoft arcade stick, but I must pick one up.
    Certainly, it wets the appetite for the PC-Engine Mini due, from my new besties in Amazon.jp, by the end of next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Been playing Flintstones surprise at dinosaur peak. Using a ROM, doubt I'll ever own a cart, very expensive. Finished it there.
    Fun game, gets better throughout as well.

IMAG1651.jpg

IMAG1657.jpg

IMAG1660.jpg

IMAG1662.jpg

IMAG1666.jpg

IMAG1670.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Gradius wrote: »
    Thought I'd be playing resident evil 3 remake by now (that's some ad campaign capcom are running with the pandemic! ), but it's not happening until the courier/post gets it sorted.

So, after packing away most arcade stuff for a big move (which won't happen now, thanks capcpom), I dug Aliens out for a blast. Still trying to 1cc it, got as far as the second apc level.

If you're any fan of the Cameron film, you've just got to check it out, easily top 5 games for me and THE Aliens game. Great two player, varied levels (descending into the reactor while protecting the elevator cables is cool), great music, great graphics for the time, just great. Play it on mame, get the board, put it on hardest difficulty and grab that flamethrower :)

My favourite arcade game of them all. The only one I could 1cc every go and yep flame thrower is by far the best weapon. Iirc on that second apc level when there are too many to shoot with normal gun, use the bombs and also stay left. There are also two ways to kill the final boss. ;)

All cool stuff above :) salamander is always good, "destroy them all!", and that flintstones game looks pretty decent.

Yep, flamethrower is your only man for them there space critters

tumblr_p6bnd4gbRH1tdkro1o4_250.gifv

Still waiting on resident evil!

• Advertisement

That Flintstones game as a retro collectible has a weird history.

Apparently it isn't rare at all.

However a 'collector' (I think c*nt is more accurate) decided to buy up every copy that was on ebay and artificially raised the price of it. Has happened with other games since.

Anyway I finished Donkey Kong Country 2 102%. Decent game and way better than the mediocre original but lacking the inventiveness of a Nintendo classic.

Moving on to Yoshi's Island and going for 100%. Might not get it finished depending on when I'm needed back in work so hopefully won't be too long before this blows over...

From what I know about disease control it won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

On the last level of Shinobi 3. As much as I've played the game I've always gotten stuck at the rock platforming level. I think once I got past it and died on the air fortress level.

Using save states at the beginning of each level on the Mega Drive Mini as I wouldn't be able to get this far otherwise. Last level is a fairly big difficulty spike with the wall jumping. Feck all special abilities and lives left too. Even if I do make it to the boss, it will be a challenge.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    On the last level of Shinobi 3. As much as I've played the game I've always gotten stuck at the rock platforming level. I think once I got past it and died on the air fortress level.

Using save states at the beginning of each level on the Mega Drive Mini as I wouldn't be able to get this far otherwise. Last level is a fairly big difficulty spike with the wall jumping. Feck all special abilities and lives left too. Even if I do make it to the boss, it will be a challenge.

I watched a speed run of that recently. When I saw the rock level I thought to myself that it looks insanely frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Just finished Twilight Princess HD. Thoroughly enjoyed it, if perhaps a bit padded in places. The music let it down somewhat, it lacked the gusto and punch from the truly great Zelda games, despite all the familiar melodies being there. Great game nonetheless, and very well put together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Inviere wrote: »
    Just finished Twilight Princess HD. Thoroughly enjoyed it, if perhaps a bit padded in places. The music let it down somewhat, it lacked the gusto and punch from the truly great Zelda games, despite all the familiar melodies being there. Great game nonetheless, and very well put together.

Never played it. Hopefully will see it on the Switch soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I only ever played it on the Wii back in the day with the waggly (!) controls and wasn't a fan at all due to that. Don't think I finished it.

Would be fantastic to see a Switch release alright with a more regular control scheme.

• Advertisement

The waggle contols weren't that bad I found. It was barely set up for it so a tiny movement was all you needed.

I loved it at the time but I was very excited for the game so have always wondered how well it's held up, especially considering how I didn't get on with Skyward Sword at all.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Would be fantastic to see a Switch release alright with a more regular control scheme.

The HD remaster is for the Wii U, so no gimmicky controls at all. I played it with a controller & it's as if the game was designed for a controller (which of course it was I suppose, it's a GC game after all).
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I loved it at the time but I was very excited for the game so have always wondered how well it's held up, especially considering how I didn't get on with Skyward Sword at all.

I suppose it'll depend on what you made of Breath of the Wild in context of it being a Zelda game really. WHile BotW is indeed a masterpiece, I personally didn't care for the lack of dungeons, didn't enjoy weapons breaking, and prefer the more linear approach to a traditional Zelda game (reason being I absolutely hate pointless side-quests). So for me, it was nice to get back to the traditional approach of Zelda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

playing through the Secret of Mana on the switch at the moment. It's the SNES version emulated.

I'm just past the part where you have to walk the seasons and give the white dragon to the mushroom king.

Once you get magic powers all the boss battle are simple, feels like cheating even, but my god the first boss battle against Spiky without magic was a tough one. :pac:

There is something very relaxing about spending half an hour walking around in circles levelling up weapons and magic. :D

I plan on playing the Trials of Mana after this but I hear there is a 3D remake of this coming out soon so may play that version instead. The 3D remake of Secret of Mana had bad reviews a couple of years ago so fingers crossed on the Trials of Mana remake being good.

The 3D remake has a demo and it's fantastic. I'd go so far as to say it's far better than the very flawed snes original. Definitely not the secret of Mana remake disaster.

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    The HD remaster is for the Wii U, so no gimmicky controls at all. I played it with a controller & it's as if the game was designed for a controller (which of course it was I suppose, it's a GC game after all).

Oh yeah! I completely forgot about that release. Even more likely of it coming out on the Switch. Actually surprised it hasn't already with the amount of WiiU ports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I've been livestreaming Ready 2 Rumble and NBA Street lately. My god, Midway and EA BIG published the best arcade sports games. They knew how to focus on fun and remove the seriousness.

I also have NFL Street and I remember playing NFL Blitz back in the day. I must compile a collection of all those mental sports games that do not take themselves seriously at all.

I remember nba jam being good all right. Just simple and fun.

Not exactly retro, but I finished the resident evil 3 remake there. On its own, it's a very good game. But compared to what it could have been, big disappointment.

Can almost certainly blame it on resources getting sucked up by that resistance online game. Big mistake!

I've no love for the EA 'Street' series but NFL Blitz and NBA Jam were some of the only sports games I've enjoyed.

I've no love for the EA 'Street' series but NFL Blitz and NBA Jam were some of the only sports games I've enjoyed.

NFL Blitz was so good. I can't remember what one my auntie had back in the day (she has most of the retro games I played a lot of when I visited her house) but what I do remember was an announcer shouting "FIRST AND LONG!" very often.

Now I'm in the mood to play a Blitz game....

Master of the Universe

Sports games are a weird one. Generally, I don't like about 99% of them.

The remaining tiny percentage, arcade style sports games, I love!

Things like Neo Cup 98, Super Punch Out, NBA Jam, Neo Turf Masters, NHL Megadrive games, Jet Set Radio etc... fantastic fun.

I'm the same. Once you aim for realism you forget about fun.

That said there's a few sports that lend themselves to videogames really well.

Golf is always great. Ever since Nintendo perfected the genre with NES golf it's barely changed an with good reason, it just works. Same with NHL. The pace and simplicity of the game really just carries over very well to a sports game. Basketball usually works really well despite 2K's best attempts to sabotage their own NBA game with microtransactions.

Madden used to be another very clever take on American football that worked really well but it's since become 'Fifa-ised' and like that series is about as driving bamboo under your own fingernails.

I'm the same. Once you aim for realism you forget about fun.

That said there's a few sports that lend themselves to videogames really well.

Golf is always great. Ever since Nintendo perfected the genre with NES golf it's barely changed an with good reason, it just works. Same with NHL. The pace and simplicity of the game really just carries over very well to a sports game. Basketball usually works really well despite 2K's best attempts to sabotage their own NBA game with microtransactions.

Madden used to be another very clever take on American football that worked really well but it's since become 'Fifa-ised' and like that series is about as driving bamboo under your own fingernails.

I have Madden 18 and I will not buy another instalment. I think once you buy one of them, you've bought them all. FIFA would pretty much be the same, as well as PES, but because I do value the roster updates, I do buy them, although it's been a while since I bought a new copy. Then again, I'll be interested in seeing how PES/FIFA turns out this year as a result of CV19. I hope that they halt all development on them for a year at least. There is really no reason to make any new sports game this year, of any kind, unless it's arcadey and non-sim. That would be a positive in that they could take the time to improve and fix major issues all loyal fans have had.

I also have NBA 2K19 which I also plan on sticking with for the foreseeable future, as I don't really keep up to date with the NBA's roster, so I don't really give a shíte about who plays where.

I digress!!

In terms of non-realistic sports games, I own the following;
    • Mutant League Football
    • NFL Blitz 2000 (just ordered it)
    • NBA Street
    • NBA Street Vol. 2
    • NBA Street Vol. 3 (Just ordered it)
    • NFL Street
    • NFL Street 2
    • NBA JAM (PS2)
    • NBA 2K Playgrounds 2
    • FIFA Street (O.G.)
    • FIFA Street 2

I would love a resurgence of all of those old games. Some of them already came back (Mutant Football League came out a few years ago).

I also have Everybody's Golf 2 on PS1, but I haven't touched it yet. I dunno what those games are like at all. But I'd be interested in trying one of the more recent ones

Everybody's Golf as a series is fantastic. Really great fun Golf games. Used to be made by the developer of the original Mario Golf games and has kept that sense of fun.

• I still own the Game Boy one
    Just called Golf
    Good times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭barryribs

Everybody's Golf as a series is fantastic. Really great fun Golf games. Used to be made by the developer of the original Mario Golf games and has kept that sense of fun.

I haven't played any of the Everybody's golf games but loved the Mario Golf series. I played quite a lot of everybody's golf on the gamecube too, really liked it and I actually thought it was developed by camelot too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭paul79

Got some more of my launchbox setup going and added my GameCube games , Playing some of starfox assault I’m really enjoying it I never played it before , Also just noticed new episodes of hi-score girl on Netflix which I can watch later .

paul79 wrote: »
    Got some more of my launchbox setup going and added my GameCube games , Playing some of starfox assault I’m really enjoying it I never played it before , Also just noticed new episodes of hi-score girl on Netflix which I can watch later .

Wait until you get past the opening level. It gets utter ****e. There's like 3 decent levels in the entire game and they all happen to be linear arwing levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭paul79

Wait until you get past the opening level. It gets utter ****e. There's like 3 decent levels in the entire game and they all happen to be linear arwing levels.

Well that doesn’t sound promising :( I’ll give it a try tho , Is starfox adventures any better ?
    I never did finish starfox 64 on the 3ds so I have a backup .

paul79 wrote: »
    Well that doesn’t sound promising :( I’ll give it a try tho , Is starfox adventures any better ?
    I never did finish starfox 64 on the 3ds so I have a backup .

Adventures is a middling Zelda Clone. Not bad, not great either.

Stick to Starfox 64 and I'd advise on picking up Panzer Dragoon Zwei Remake when its released as its as good as if not better than Starfox 64

I rotated the screen in a cabinet to start playing through vertical games, so I began with 1942 by capcom.

Very easy to dismiss it at first glance, looks very simplistic. But it's got that raw gameplay thing down pat and the more you get into it the more fun and playable it is. Very long too, 32 levels/waves, haven't even got as far as half way yet.

I'll leave it in the cabinet for a few days before moving onto 1943. And then I'm missing 1944 which seems very difficult get hold of, even 19xx seems handier to track down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭briany

Harvest Moon GB. It's an oddly hypnotic game.

Yeah, Super Mario 64 isn't gonna happen....I'm blaming Mario Odyssey :( So instead, I'm really enjoying F-Zero X!

Master of the Universe

Gave in and bought a digital copy of Streets of Rage 4 as I just couldn't bring myself to wait until my physical copy ships.

Dear lord, it's fantastic! I am beyond blown away at how well it came out. Was absolutely convinced it would be a stinker.

Played up to level six this evening since downloading it and can see myself playing it all night (fingers are bloody sore though!)

Lots of great unlockables and nods to the previous games to keep you going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Been clearing Mario 64 with the young lad lately he loves it, but after starting all the Mario's and donkey Kong on the nes mini lately, wow does time fly when ur having fun, 3 hours into donkey Kong without even noticing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Have been struggling through Castlevania Requiem on PS4, Rondo of Blood is kicking my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Playing Soul Bubbles on the DS, unfortunately not on my original cart which the kids, when they were much younger, deposited somewhere never to be seen again.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Have been struggling through Castlevania Requiem on PS4, Rondo of Blood is kicking my arse.

You have the perfect name for that :)

Master of the Universe

Finally came first on Acropolis Expert in VR Racing.

Could never get through the last lap, always ran out of time on the last stage coming out of the hair pin.

God that was gratifying :pac:

Playing Final Fantasy Legend on the Gameboy and it's a little gem of a game. Crazy that it came out in 1989 during the launch window of the system as it's quite a complex game and far better than even nintendos games on the system at the time.

It's the first in the Saga series so expect little handholding and weird mechanics.

You make a party of three classes. Humans who are fairly basic but don't level up normally. You have to buy stat upgrades in shops. Espers that gain states randomly after battle and also gain and lose spells randomly. Then there's mutants who transform into different creatures from eating enemies. There's a complex methodology behind it but it might as well be random for how obtuse it is.

It's perfectly suited to the handheld, being 8-12 hours long and you can also save anywhere at any time, rather forward thinking for a 1989 handheld game.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eugenia Iliopoulou

Worms

• Advertisement

Was just browsing games through Launcbox looking for something to get stuck into...and happened to start up Super Mario World. Really enjoying it again after many many years. Not promised on the 96 exits at this stage, we'll see how it goes....:o

Hoping you get back to Mario 64 someday. Do think you have to give it a bit more time as I still believe it's one of the finest 3D platformers ever made. Maybe when the source port gets non-inverted y-axis controls!

Maybe check out a speed run of the game, a 70 star one. Always gets me wanting to play it again when you see how technical and crazy the movement is in the game.

Hoping you get back to Mario 64 someday. Do think you have to give it a bit more time as I still believe it's one of the finest 3D platformers ever made. Maybe when the source port gets non-inverted y-axis controls!

Maybe check out a speed run of the game, a 70 star one. Always gets me wanting to play it again when you see how technical and crazy the movement is in the game.

I'll go back to it for sure, but it'll likely be whatever Ninty have planned for it on Switch I'd say. After coming from Odyssey, it's a tough tough transition backwards. Odyssey was that good imo.

Couple of teething problems with SMW....firstly, I was sure you could save on the overworld map...and after trying every button, the only thing I could think of was Start & Select....unfortunately that happens to be a controller hotkey to exit a game on Launchbox that I'd forgotten! So I lost a bit of progress doing that, just a few levels, nothing major....I've already caught back up. Secondly, the damn game doesn't save your extra lives etc...so when you resume at a later time, you're back to 5 lives! Obviously to prevent 1up farming, but was a bit weird to re-discover this! I'm debating now whether to use save states as a result, but use them as I would normal saves....or whether I should play it OG.

If you want to save just beat a ghost house or castle. Will let you save even if you've beaten it already.

The extra lives thing can be annoying as sometimes you have to farm. I'm grand with it but when I was rubbish from the bridge levels on you'd have to do a bit of live farming when you restart. Once you get to the forest there's a level that is amazing for extra life farming and it's rather fun to do so it becomes a non-issue. (It's a level with a rotating item box. If you get the star you can cause absolutely havoc and rack up insane amounts of lives)

To be honest if you are just saving on the world map you aren't cheating yourself as playing through a ghost house or castle again is a pain.

Really enjoying Super Mario World, what a gem of a game....and a consoel launch game to boot! I think I've 30 odd levels done so far, half of Star Road, and three Switch Palaces done. Haven't played this far into the game in well over 20 years I'd say, & it has lost nothing.

It's rage inducing at times, but only because of silly twitchy movements on my part. The game would be unplayable on an emulator without RetroArch's Run-Ahead feature to reduce latency....really makes the game 'feel' right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement