Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

o1s1n wrote: »
    LOL

Did you buy up a liquidated games shop or something? You really should hang onto your consoles man. I know Macbooks are exciting..but you may regret it later!

I'm meant to be swapping a Snes for Weeder's Dreamcast. If he changes his mind I'll get back to you about your one ;)

On the topic of shooters, I just remembered I'd bought Rez and forgotten about it.

Just after giving it a go. Christ, that is one amazing game. I sat there in a trance for about half an hour. Had to turn it off before I woke up and the day was gone. I can only imagine it being enhanced by ..er.. substances.

At times it feels like I did buy up stock :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Rez is breathtaking, especially when you get to be good at it and play it straight through, a long journey but amazing, especially with the lights down and the bass up!
    Imagine when it was released most people were playing it on a Dreamcast or PS2, on a 21" TV!
    In this day and age of 42" Plasma bliss we forget the displays of yesteryear!

If someone does buy the 3DO, be aware that it is very very easy to burn off any game you want from a simple iso file onto a CD, just mentioning it as a piece of useless information,
    remember kids, piracy is wrong, and can lead to syphilis...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Phew, and there was me thinking it was from that tramp down the local.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, it could have been, perhaps she was selling R4's down the pub and that's where she got it!
    Filthy Ho!

On a brighter note, my NeoGeo MVS arrangement isn't knackered after all, a quick fuse change and it's working again.
    Unfortunately the video out is an RGB scart, and only one socket on my LCD Tv is RGB, and it has no seperate audio in, so I can have picture but no sound!
    Arse, going to have to figure this out.

Are there RGB specific scart cables?
    Or are all scart to scarts RGB?
    Don't know myself, only one of my two available scart cables seems to be carrying video.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's something wrong there. Scart carries audio and video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Unfortunately the video out is an RGB scart, and only one socket on my LCD Tv is RGB, and it has no seperate audio in, so I can have picture but no sound!
    Arse, going to have to figure this out.

Are there RGB specific scart cables?
    Or are all scart to scarts RGB?
    Don't know myself, only one of my two available scart cables seems to be carrying video.

Hang on, you're using a supergun aren't you?

The supergun mobo has an audio out jack that you connect up to speakers. None of the sound goes through the scart connection!

D'Oh, this I know, but I can pipe the sound in via a 3.5 jack to phono adaptor I have, I'll figure it out yet, not to worry.
    Really, the length of the scart is too short, thats all
    I was using another doo dad to put the sound in through the same scart,
    don't worry, I haven't suddenly got dumber since the hack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

...well, I was in the Airport the other day, and picked up one of those puzzle books ya know, the cryptic crossword one, so been flat out with that lately...

Oh wait yea Retro Games...Well the nerds out there that never stop updating software for the Dingoo have fixed the Y/B button problem with the Snes games, so finally able to give Supermarioworld a run for it's money.
    Here I come 96 levels :pac::pac::pac:*

*yea right, see yiz in six months..

Just playing some Front Mission 5 the fan translation and it's an absolute joy playing a japanese game again. Why? Because the X button is cancel and the O button is select, like it should be. It was fine when it was this way on the SNES, I'd love to strangle the idiots that made it standard on the PS1. Only Metal Gear sticks to it's guns with O as select and X as cancel.

Master of the Universe

LoGiE wrote: »
    Haha where did you get the floppy disks! There almost impossible to find in stores these days ;)

Ebay provides all! Think it was about 3 euro for ten. Cheap as chips. They came wrapped as if new. Very strange. Must be old stock surely?
    At this rate I'll have the whole Snes collection on floppy disk soon. :D
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just playing some Front Mission 5 the fan translation and it's an absolute joy playing a japanese game again. Why? Because the X button is cancel and the O button is select, like it should be. It was fine when it was this way on the SNES, I'd love to strangle the idiots that made it standard on the PS1. Only Metal Gear sticks to it's guns with O as select and X as cancel.

This drives me mad too. Something horrific I noticed while recently playing through Final Fantasy IX - they had the cheek to change select to X. Luckily enough, you could reconfigure it in the menu. Also had to change the text boxes back to blue. The bastards!

I'm still blasting away through Rez. So feckin addictive. Need to hook a subwoofer up to my tv. I'm sure the neighbours will love it.
    Actually, it's doing my girlfriends head in.

'Ahh lower down that music!'

'I can't! It's an Integral part of the game!!'

That and I started Metroid:Fusion. I have to say, it's really a lot of fun. Looks lovely too. ALthough I find they hold your hand a bit too much in it with the whole 'your objective is X in X part of the map...do you understand?!'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

ikargua on my dreamcast..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

Class game but I can never get past the 4th level,more practice I suppose.As a matter of interest how far can you get ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

not much better either but my god what an gorgeous game it was..

When I played it loads on my Gamecube I could get as far as Stage 4 on 1 credit if the stage 3 boss didn't **** me over. Can only get to stage 3 now. I did finish the game on 5 credits before. The last stage is actually easier than the 4th stage when you get used to some of the bosses.

For me the best way to play stage 4 is to try to keep alive and no bother trying to kill the enemies. When the giant circular object starts pumping out bullets I concentrate on avoiding them.

Master of the Universe

For me the best way to play stage 4 is to try to keep alive and no bother trying to kill the enemies. When the giant circular object starts pumping out bullets I concentrate on avoiding them.

That's the way I play most shooters now to be honest (Well, the challenging ones). I do shoot enemies, but I found when I wasn't so good at them it was because I was paying TOO much attention to shooting enemies and not nearly enough attention on their bullets!

R type is a bitch for that. Because whenever I get that ball thing that goes on the front of your ship, my perhiperal vision ends up thinking that's my ship.

The secret to being good at shooters is to concentrate on your ship and not on what you are shooting :) I discovered that playing contra hard corp. It's hard to get used to though.

Master of the Universe

The secret to being good at shooters is to concentrate on your ship and not on what you are shooting :) I discovered that playing contra hard corp. It's hard to get used to though.

Until I discovered that I was complete balls at shooters and didn't like them at all.

Then had an epiphany moment and now love them :D

There are so many games I really enjoy but will never be good at, never mind finish.
    I guess once you get over that, once you know that, like in Pacman, I'll never get past the 5th level, or that bit with the feckin' tanks in Robotron, I still love them and will always make time to play them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Coming on here asking for NES dimensions made me want the bust out the ole SNES.

What am I playing?

Super Castlevania IV :cool:

Jako8 wrote: »
    Super Castlevania IV :cool:

Best soundtrack ever?

• Advertisement

Best soundtrack for me is in Ico, simple, understated, peaceful until it all goes wrong, then like a good movie soundtrack it ramps up the tension.
    Same thing done in Shadow of the Colossus, wonderful stuff.

Master of the Universe

Too many good soundtracks out there for me to have a number 1 to be honest.

I think from a nostalgia point of view it goes to Mercs and (Ciderman's favourite game) Streets of Rage. Those two soundtracks blew me away when I first heard them. Still enjoy listening to them now.

Oh and of course Megaman 2. But I dont even think I need to mention that any more at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Currently playing through Pokémon Emerald. Might bring the gameboy micro to school tomorrow and sneak in a few hours of play :P

School, deary deary me!
    I have currently got two 23 year girls working on my unit (Waaheyyy!!!!) and we call them the kids.

Ah to be young again!

But I do bring my DSi and PSP to work with me, to sneak in some time with Picross, GT PSP and Peggle!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I cannot stop playing Pro Evolution Soccer 6. I think it's the best Pro Evo ever made.

And it's the only ProEvo I own, given it was €6 when I bought it, exactly the same amount as the credit I had left after a trade in!
    Still haven't played it, 2 years later, but you never know!

Master of the Universe

Soccer games? A pox on thee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Not been retroing for a while, Assassin's Creed 2 sucked up all my game time since Xmas, but finally polished off Splinter Cell Chaos Theory last night. Now just gotta finish Double Agent before Conviction comes out

And it's the only ProEvo I own, given it was €6 when I bought it, exactly the same amount as the credit I had left after a trade in!
    Still haven't played it, 2 years later, but you never know!

I think I paid something like 2.99 for it. And that was the sole reason I bought it :P

• Advertisement

The last soccer game I played much of at all was Fifa Soccer on the 3DO!
    And that was way way back, and only because I had a Dolby Prologic setup and the crowd noises and effects were all in surround.
    Actually it was one of the first systems whose games were pretty much all in surround, Need For Speed, Road Rash and especially Return Fire, all sounded great.

Master of the Universe

Wah, I thought this was general retro discussion.

/Copy-pasta content to other thread

Soccer games? A pox on thee!

Seriously, the Pro Evolution games are brilliant, there is so much more depth and challenge to the gameplay in Pro Evo than any other football game. You can get very tactical or just pick it up and play and you will still have a great experience. Pro Evo 6 for example, the players stats on your team will improve depending on your skill, so you can actually level up players and they will have better touch, stamina and response for example, like an RPG! :o

Augmerson wrote: »
    Pro Evo 6 for example, the players stats on your team will improve depending on your skill, so you can actually level up players and they will have better touch, stamina and response for example, like an RPG! :o

Just minus the ridiculous hair and oversized swords :o

Just minus the ridiculous hair and oversized swords :o

And minus the storyline haha :P

Master of the Universe

As interesting as the concept of leveling up footballers sounds, it still doesn't make up for the fact that it's a soccer game. And I can't stand soccer. In any form!

• Advertisement

And minus the storyline haha :P

And minus the names without enough vowels,

Unless of course you're playing as some eastern european team, which kinda kills the joke.

feck!

Master of the Universe

Just been playing MUSHA. I thought I was doing great, got through the first three levels without getting hit once. (For anyone who has never played it, the levels are really really long)

Was so powerful from power ups I was obliterating everything in an almost orgasmic frenzy of green lasers. Had picked up an arse load of extra lives too.

Then this boss comes along and crashes into me head first.

BASTARD!!!!!

Life lost..and back to having a pea shooter.

Lets just say I didn't do too well after that.

I hate when that happens! Everything's going so perfect..then BAM, you've lost it.

That usually happens to me in Gradius, there I am, kicking butt when amongst the multi coloured array of my awesome display of laser death I fail to notice an enemy bullet the size of a pixel and BAM! back to ssslllloooooooowwww ship speed and a peashooter as well, feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dally

Tetris, and Sonic the Hedgehog, both on iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

King of Fighters 99

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

King of Fighters 99

Does that mean your supergun now works?

I have the original MVS of that, very good game indeed, as if it needed mentioning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Does that mean your supergun now works?

Yes, Yes it does. :) I am already getting bits ordered for my Second one along with Custom sticks which I shall burn the rest of my fingers soldering together.

Master of the Universe

I have the original MVS of that, very good game indeed, as if it needed mentioning!

It's good, but it still comes nowhere near KOF 98. That game is just ..perfect 2d fighting.

Man I love the Neo Geo.

I can hear CCCP grumbling in the background. :mad:
    Yes, Yes it does. :) I am already getting bits ordered for my Second one along with Custom sticks which I shall burn the rest of my fingers soldering together.

What's the plan for the second one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

super r type, much easier than the gameboy r type but still hard,

I can hear CCCP grumbling in the background. :mad:

Haha, seriously, if someone gave me a Neo Geo I'd play it but I wouldn't go buy one, considering it's so expensive as well. It's not that I don't think it's a deadly console - it is - I'm just not into it. I'm too busy playing Halo, Goldeneye and Donkey Kong Country to notice the massive void in my retro diet that is the abscence of a Neo Geo /me wipes tear from eye.

Well, played a few games for maybe an hour or two - Pro Evo 6, Maximo vs Army of Zin (figured out how to beat the Cyclocks machine) and had a quick go of Timesplitters...and it's surprisingly good! I actually had trouble on the first level, the one in Egypt, so I may have a session of it tomorrow night after work.

I'm too busy playing Halo, Goldeneye and Donkey Kong Country to notice the massive void in my retro diet that is the abscence of a Neo Geo /me wipes tear from eye.

Definitely don't get a Neo Geo. You might end up playing some decent games.

Master of the Universe

Definitely don't get a Neo Geo. You might end up playing some decent games.

You made me choke on my morning coffee. Thanks :pac:

You know, I don't think he was serious about playing Halo, Goldeneye and Donkey Kong Country, hmm.....

You know, I don't think he was serious about playing Halo, Goldeneye and Donkey Kong Country, hmm.....

:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement