Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In old school remake news I'm sure you've all heard the Command & Conquer remaster is excellent. It feels a little dated and has a few quirks sinceit's missing a lot of features you take for granted in later RTS games but the main thing is the game is still heaps of fun and the cheesy presentation is charming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'll really have to download that and give it a go. Is there online multiplayer with it?

Red Alert is still my favourite RTS. I know there are others with lots of added features and depth, but there's just something about that game that can't be beat. It almost has an arcade like quality to it with it's simplicity.

Actually I think I mentioned this before, but worth a link again, it's been free to download and play online for a few years now:

https://cncnet.org/red-alert

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep Multiplayer and all the bells and whistles with all the expansions and even the console exclusive levels added as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Finished GTA V (very very well put together game, enjoyed it a lot).

Next up, a warpless Super Mario Bros. run. Man it's hard to adjust to the movement mechanics after beating Super Mario World there a while back...I tend to play Mario games with the run button held...not here though, it handles quite differently. I've made it to 5-2 before dying....those damned hammer brothers! Will try get further soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Playing Donkey Kong Country on snes, never played it before and damn its a difficult game

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    Next up, a warpless Super Mario Bros. run. Man it's hard to adjust to the movement mechanics after beating Super Mario World there a while back...I tend to play Mario games with the run button held...not here though, it handles quite differently. I've made it to 5-2 before dying....those damned hammer brothers! Will try get further soon

Good luck with that. Was trying for a year of and on before I finally did it. Stage 8-4 is a bitch if you don't know the route. Getting from 5-1 onwards is a slow struggle, especially stages in the 7th world.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Good luck with that. Was trying for a year of and on before I finally did it. Stage 8-4 is a bitch if you don't know the route. Getting from 5-1 onwards is a slow struggle, especially stages in the 7th world.

Yeah I could feel the difficulty spike from 5-1 onwards alright. I need moar lives...it's not like SMW where you've lives coming outta your ears!

Yeah you've got to try and collect as many coins and extra lives as you can. Helps to look up their locations.

Also there's weird 1up rules were the 1 up in the later part of a world only turns up if you collected every coin in previous levels so it's doubly important to collect every coin.

Also good luck no raging over the Cheep-Cheep bridge in world 7. It's RNG madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

bmorrissey wrote: »
    Playing Donkey Kong Country on snes, never played it before and damn its a difficult game

Muscle memory!

A few of the levels in that game are as good as scrolling platformers get. The mine cart levels and the trick track and tanked up levels in particular.

The Nal wrote: »
    Muscle memory!

A few of the levels in that game are as good as scrolling platformers get. The mine cart levels and the trick track and tanked up levels in particular.

Damn Some of the jumps on the mine cart levels need perfect timing down to the exact frame nearly

• Advertisement

5-4 there, getting better :o

5-4 there, getting better :o

It doesn't quite count, but made it from a 5-1 savestate to 6-4 there. I used a savestate to get some experience at the later levels without having to play through the whole game each time. Once I beat it this way, I'll do it without savestates.

Loving the game I must say

It doesn't quite count, but made it from a 5-1 savestate to 6-4 there. I used a savestate to get some experience at the later levels without having to play through the whole game each time. Once I beat it this way, I'll do it without savestates.

Loving the game I must say

..and from a 5-1 savestate to 8-2 there, and died stupidly!

I think it's 7-2, the last cheep cheep birdge level that was my greatest hurdle. Just so many lives lost on that stage, it would ruin runs on me.

Stage 8 actually isn't so bad, not as tough as stage 7, so if you can clear 7 consistently you'll make it. Wel... as long as you know the route though 8-4

I think it's 7-2, the last cheep cheep birdge level that was my greatest hurdle. Just so many lives lost on that stage, it would ruin runs on me.

Stage 8 actually isn't so bad, not as tough as stage 7, so if you can clear 7 consistently you'll make it. Wel... as long as you know the route though 8-4

Yeah you can feel the spike in difficulty rising with every level at this stage. I lost a chunk of lives on 7-4 Hammer Bowser....only got past him by sacrificing the mushroom. 7-2 is a pig, you've cheep cheeps, kupas, bullets, and precision jumping all being thrown at you :(

Bowser isn't too bad in small form when you get used to him. Just stand close and run when he jumps. But also pray he doesn't shoot a fireball as then you are screwed. It's hairy enough facing up to him like that. You just have to YOLO when he jumps.

Other advice I'd give is looking up 1up locations. Again though you've to collect every coin to activate some of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

As a die hard Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander player I'm finding CnC remasters UI sort of hard work to go back to. The cutscenes look super weird with the AI upscaling would have been better leave them at low res. It's certainly a lot of videogame for 20 euro though It's going to take me a while get through the single player nevermind get up to speed on multi. I still have to get back to FF7 Remake, which is also sort of hard work.

I'm actually really enjoying C&C and approaching the last few GDI missions. Having heaps of fun with it even if the control scheme and AI have issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've just spent the last hour playing Ridge Racer 2 on the PSP1001, and it's just as great as it was the first time I played it, 15 odd years ago, just spectacular stuff.

Anyone recommend any good Gameboy/Colour/Advance platformers?

• Advertisement

Can't go wrong with the Warioland and Kirby games.

WarioLand 2-4 are absolute gems.

Gargoyles Quest is excellent.

Trip World is great as long as you aren't buying it.

Megaman 2-5 are excellent, particularly 5.

And of course Donkey Kong 94.

Can't go wrong with the Warioland and Kirby games.

WarioLand 2-4 are absolute gems.

Gargoyles Quest is excellent.

Trip World is great as long as you aren't buying it.

Megaman 2-5 are excellent, particularly 5.

And of course Donkey Kong 94.

WarioLand it is, been ages since i played a Wario game, Just finished MegaMan 2 recently, still a really fun game, great memories trying to beat it as kid.

Damn Just looked up the price of tripworld, thats costly :D

Master of the Universe

Give Ninja Five O a go on the GBA if you haven't, fantastic little game that.

Also known as Ninja Cop in the west.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Give Ninja Five O a go on the GBA if you haven't, fantastic little game that.

Also known as Ninja Cop in the west.

Also bankruptingly expensive

Master of the Universe

Also bankruptingly expensive

One of the only games I knowingly bought a pirate version of :D

One of the only games I knowingly bought a pirate version of :D

I got my cart only one for 80 and really hoping its not a very good repro

Yeah you can feel the spike in difficulty rising with every level at this stage. I lost a chunk of lives on 7-4 Hammer Bowser....only got past him by sacrificing the mushroom. 7-2 is a pig, you've cheep cheeps, kupas, bullets, and precision jumping all being thrown at you :(

I think it's 7-3 actually

Made it to 8-2 again, losing tons of lives with stupid mistakes. Tough level :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shockframe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I've just spent the last hour playing Ridge Racer 2 on the PSP1001, and it's just as great as it was the first time I played it, 15 odd years ago, just spectacular stuff.

The graphics on the PSP really did work wonders with Ridge Racer.

I'd also recommend Outrun 2006. Magnificent game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

shockframe wrote: »
    The graphics on the PSP really did work wonders with Ridge Racer.

I was always a fan of the series, I played the PS games to death, especially Rage Racer and Ridge Racer Revolution.
    Not as much a fan of RRtype4 or RRV though, and Unbounded was awful.
    I'd also recommend Outrun 2006. Magnificent game.

Yep, I have Outrun, it's outstanding but still not as good as the version on either the PS2 or Xbox.
    I still play the PS2 one, on a plasma TV via HDMI, it's amazing!

• Advertisement

Made it to 8-2 again, losing tons of lives with stupid mistakes. Tough level :mad:

8-3 - **** world 8 and **** hammer brothers :mad:

8-3 - **** world 8 and **** hammer brothers :mad:

Job done, finito. A fire flower made 8-3 & 8-4 foolproof really (I knew the route through 8-4 off by heart as I've watched a lot of warpless runs of it). The fire flower takes the hammer bros out in one hit, and a few hits takes Bowser out....just a matter of walking to the end at that stage!

It's one thing beating it using the comfort of a save state to get experience of the later levels, but a whole different thing putting it all together in one run which is what I've to do next!

Congrats! I know myself how much effort it takes. So many people saying Super Mario Bros. is an easy game but they grew up with it and played the crap out of it!

I'll be trying SMB2/Lost Levels next but taking a break from Mario! Might just play the All Stars version and the Famicom version seems insane, expecially if you want to beat it with all worlds. I'll have to look into how it works (I think the famicom saves if you finished an extra world).

Congrats! I know myself how much effort it takes. So many people saying Super Mario Bros. is an easy game but they grew up with it and played the crap out of it!

It's not what I'd call an easy game, unless as you say you know the game inside out. The first half is handy enough, but it gets trickier the further you get into it. It's a lot less forgiving than Super Mario World...and the run mechanic in it means Mario is a bit slower to actually start running (it's not instant once the button is held down...I've died a lot because of this.)

That said it's rarely cheap, and when I've died in it (many times), it's been my fault having made stupid mistakes here & there. I started from scratch there & only made it just past halfway, so while I've beaten the game, it doesn't count yet...I need to do it all in one single run.
    I'll be trying SMB2/Lost Levels next but taking a break from Mario! Might just play the All Stars version and the Famicom version seems insane, expecially if you want to beat it with all worlds. I'll have to look into how it works (I think the famicom saves if you finished an extra world).

SMB2 looks like a whole different ball game...massive difficulty from the get-go. I doubt I'll move on to that next, and will instead try SMB2 (the Western release)....that's a game I know virtually nothing about, and never considered it a true Mario game (sprite swap with Doki Doki Panic). But...I'd like to have a go at it and finish it!

SMB2 is a fantastic game even if it feels weird as feck. Much prefer the NES release to the GBA one.

SMB2 is a fantastic game even if it feels weird as feck. Much prefer the NES release to the GBA one.

Did they mess around too much with the Super Mario Allstars version of SMB2?

• Advertisement

Not really. Physics off a bit but barely noticeable. More personal preference for the NES version. All stars has saves though so you don't have to beat it in one sitting. Doki doki panic has saves as we but the western Mario 2 is a big improvement over the original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Right, I'm going to have to do a warpless run of SMB now!

Last time I finished it I used the continue cheat where you can restart at the last world you were on.

accensi0n wrote: »
    Right, I'm going to have to do a warpless run of SMB now!

Last time I finished it I used the continue cheat where you can restart at the last world you were on.

Yay, let us know how you get on. I'll imagine you'll beat it handy enough, you've done very well finishing NES games over the years & months!

I made it from the start of the game to 8-4...and made it all the way to Bowser but just could not get passed him...between the final hammer brother, the jumping fireball, Bowser's flames, and his hammers....it's the perfect **** storm in the last five seconds of the game. I was well poised to beat the game, started 8-4 with a fireflower and 6 lives....5 minutes later all I had was a game over screen :(

I made it from the start of the game to 8-4...and made it all the way to Bowser but just could not get passed him...between the final hammer brother, the jumping fireball, Bowser's flames, and his hammers....it's the perfect **** storm in the last five seconds of the game. I was well poised to beat the game, started 8-4 with a fireflower and 6 lives....5 minutes later all I had was a game over screen :(

Done, finally! Start to finish, no warp run. Yus!

IMG-20200621-114550.jpg

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Congrats!

I'd say the adrenaline was coursing through your veins towards the end of that. :D

Congrats and I know well it's a big achievement! That game took me way longer than most 'hard' NES games like Contra which took an afternoon to beat!

Congrats!

I'd say the adrenaline was coursing through your veins towards the end of that. :D

The controller was certainly 'moist' by the end :D
    Congrats and I know well it's a big achievement! That game took me way longer than most 'hard' NES games like Contra which took an afternoon to beat!

I fell in love with the game doing it, it's such a fun (but infuriating game at times) game...so simple but much more than the sum of its parts. Prob be the other way around for me...Contra could take months! I finished Contra 3 on easy, couldn't beat it on normal...so switched to Contra Spirits (the jap version) to beat it on normal...hard mode can frak off, I don't know how anyone can get past that.

The NES contra's really aren't that bad. Super C is actually pretty easy, much more so than the original.

A game of each lasts about 10-15 minutes so you can get a good few goes in when you play it. So it's not as long as SMB and no where near as stressful. The industrial flame stage of Contra 1 is the only really tough section in that game.

Ninja Gaiden though.... that's a whole different level of hell. And the last boss 'it's not a bug it's a feature' bull**** with how you have one life to beat him or get sent back 4 stages can **** right off.

Picked up the Toki remaster on Switch as it's only 2.99 at the moment. Excellent conversion of a game that hates me. The art looks incredible.

Master of the Universe

Ninja Gaiden is relatively okay with a bit of rote learning up until the end of act 4.

Act 5 is where it really kicks off though. I was trying to get through it on my Famicom a couple of years ago (with a lot of muscle memory from when I was a kid!) but couldn't quite get through all of act five.

Haven't witnessed the horrors of the final stage in person yet :D

Ninja Gaiden though.... that's a whole different level of hell. And the last boss 'it's not a bug it's a feature' bull**** with how you have one life to beat him or get sent back 4 stages can **** right off.

I think I'd have to play a 'fixed' rom hack of that game which fixes that 'feature'. Life's too short for that crap

Ninja Gaiden is relatively okay with a bit of rote learning up until the end of act 4.

Act 5 is where it really kicks off though. I was trying to get through it on my Famicom a couple of years ago (with a lot of muscle memory from when I was a kid!) but couldn't quite get through all of act five.

Haven't witnessed the horrors of the final stage in person yet :D

I actually really enjoyed Ninja Gaiden. It's a great game but I think Ninja Gaiden 2 is way better as it fixes a lot of the bull****.
    I think I'd have to play a 'fixed' rom hack of that game which fixes that 'feature'. Life's too short for that crap

I actually had to save state before I beat it legit. Having one try on an incredibly difficult 3 phase fight it insane. You get there and panic and die and you haven't learned anything about the fight. Then have a 15-20 minute slog back to the boss to have one more shot again. It gives the player no room to experiment and try tactics. And sending you back 4 stages is nuts when they are 4 of the most incredibly tough stages in any NES game. I mean if you die on any of those stages you get sent back to the start of that stage but the boss sends you back 4 stages!

I ended up save stating before the boss and learning its patterns.

Master of the Universe

I think I read somewhere that the Japanese version only sends you back to 6-3 if you die on the final boss (Unlike the Western versions sending you all the way back to 6-1)

I only played Ninja Gaiden II recently for the first time, didn't realise it was such a good game, would have been playing it for years.

I think I read somewhere that the Japanese version only sends you back to 6-3 if you die on the final boss (Unlike the Western versions sending you all the way back to 6-1)

I only played Ninja Gaiden II recently for the first time, didn't realise it was such a good game, would have been playing it for years.

Probably. 6-3 is just before the boss and you are over the worst of it (6-2 is hell on earth). Also Arino finished it in game center CX, I don't think he could have put up with that if it sent you back so far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement