Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

So having gotten pretty decent at Super Mario Bros, I've moved onto Super Mario Bros 2 (the Western version)...died at 1-3 :o Didn't bother continuing, it's gonna take a while to get used to this game...it's a very different Mario game, but seems relatively ok, if a bit samey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I've been playing Hyper Zone on the Super Famicom. It's like F-Zero meets Space Harrier and feels like a Mode 7 tech demo!

It's enjoyable enough, but pretty basic in terms of gameplay. I don't think I'll go back to it when it's finished and it'll sit on my shelf with it's ugly box art forever.

Inviere wrote: »
    So having gotten pretty decent at Super Mario Bros, I've moved onto Super Mario Bros 2 (the Western version)...died at 1-3 :o Didn't bother continuing, it's gonna take a while to get used to this game...it's a very different Mario game, but seems relatively ok, if a bit samey.

Made it to 2-3 this time. It's not difficult, just silly mistakes on my part. Continuing puts you back at the start of the world though...boo :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Princess Peach float your way through, easy peasy :D - I don't think I've actually played that game since Mario All-Stars was released, does it hold up at all?

Absolutely loving my PSP at the moment, completely hooked on GTA Chinatown Wars.

It did take my eyes a bit to get used to the lower resolutions after being absolutely spoiled by the Switch, was actually a little jarring at first.

But once they adjusted - wow, there really is an amazingly realised little city in that game. It's incredibly playable and fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

o1s1n wrote: »
    Absolutely loving my PSP at the moment, completely hooked on GTA Chinatown Wars.

It did take my eyes a bit to get used to the lower resolutions after being absolutely spoiled by the Switch, was actually a little jarring at first.

But once they adjusted - wow, there really is an amazingly realised little city in that game. It's incredibly playable and fun.

Really good GTA game, i actually picked it up a few weeks back, i really gotta jump back into it, really fun game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Princess Peach float your way through, easy peasy :D - I don't think I've actually played that game since Mario All-Stars was released, does it hold up at all?

I really like it. One of the more unique NES platformers and has way more weird in it than most other mario games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm looking forward to playing Chinatown Wars as I've never played it before. I knew it was on DS and then iOS later but didn't know it was on PSP until I bought it a while ago!

Yep playing exclusively with Peach at the moment. It holds up in the sense that the game itself seems a fun & weird little game....it's just hard to judge it as a Mario game (because it isn't one really, it's essentially a romhack of another game).

Master of the Universe

bmorrissey wrote: »
    Really good GTA game, i actually picked it up a few weeks back, i really gotta jump back into it, really fun game

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to playing Chinatown Wars as I've never played it before. I knew it was on DS and then iOS later but didn't know it was on PSP until I bought it a while ago!

The one oddity about playing it on the PSP over the DS is it still has all of the DS stylus type bits - but the movements have been changed over to work with the PSP controls. So to remove a screw from a panel, you rotate the analogue stick etc rather than using a stylus to screw it out. It kind of works and they did what they could, but those elements would definitely work better on a DS.
    Yep playing exclusively with Peach at the moment. It holds up in the sense that the game itself seems a fun & weird little game....it's just hard to judge it as a Mario game (because it isn't one really, it's essentially a romhack of another game).

It was such an odd move, I'd love to have been in the Nintendo board room when they decided to do that. Must have thought they were going to print money when Mario 2 landed from Japan, freaked out when they played it and went through a rake of platformers to see if there was anything remotely similar that they could reskin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's pretty much how it went down according to Howard Philips.

He was asked to play the game to see if it would be suitable for release in America and was shocked at how hard it was and not much fun. Also he thought the game would be poorly received due to how dated the visuals were, at the time NES games had moved on massively in terms of graphics and complexity.

I think Doki Doki Panic was an easy one to pick as it was made by the SMB team and at the Time mario's platforming gameplay wasn't nailed to a particular style, he had stared in Donkey Kong, the single screen Mario Bros game before that and Wrecking Crew. So probably didn't seem that weird a decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

My 5 year old has been watching too much Mario related Youtube over lockdown. I swear to god the other day he was telling some other disinterested kid in the playground Mario 2/Doki Doki Panic facts and mangling the pronounciation of Shigeru Miyamoto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

My 5 year old has been watching too much Mario related Youtube over lockdown. I swear to god the other day he was telling some other disinterested kid in the playground Mario 2/Doki Doki Panic facts and mangling the pronounciation of Shigeru Miyamoto.

Whats with the kids loving watching other people play games? When I was a kid that was my idea of hell.

The Nal wrote: »
    Whats with the kids loving watching other people play games? When I was a kid that was my idea of hell.

I don't know, I kind of liked watching my friends play games I was better at. Also had a friend that wanted to watch me play all the time as I was better than them, even at their own games. I'd ask if they wanted to play and they would say they are happy to just watch.

My friend that was big into PC gaming and got me into it I would watch them play Warcraft and Doom and other games a lot. But it was never like twitch, it was a more interactive experience, joking, coming up with plans etc.

And on the other side I really like watching speed running events.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't know, I kind of liked watching my friends play games I was better at. Also had a friend that wanted to watch me play all the time as I was better than them, even at their own games. I'd ask if they wanted to play and they would say they are happy to just watch.

My friend that was big into PC gaming and got me into it I would watch them play Warcraft and Doom and other games a lot. But it was never like twitch, it was a more interactive experience, joking, coming up with plans etc.

And on the other side I really like watching speed running events.

Yeah here and there if it helps you in the end but just watching hours and hours of someone else gaming when you could be playing yourself seems odd to me. We all had that friend growing up who invited you over and then made you sit there and watch them play a single player game for hours.

• Advertisement

My father and I take my son out for half the day each so he's not hunched in front of a screen for 12 hours straight. He managed to solve this issue but doubling or tripling up on screens. He'll be playing Mario on the Switch with volume off, maybe a little Youtube game commentary on the tablet, plus some Spongebob on Netflix with visually impaired mode turned on so he can follow what's going on without looking at the screen.

Master of the Universe

Just coming to the end of RE4 now, loving every moment.

Well, apart for one little thing...the QTEs! Bloody hell have they dated. A lot.

Especially the QTEs in the middle of a cut scene. I tend to do a bit of sound mastering any time a cut scene comes on from that era and lower the volume down a bit to save myself the embarrassment of the dodgy dialogue.

Oh you were holding the remote were you? Tough luck! You should really have been holding the control pad as you'd to press the shoulder buttons to dodge that knife attack. Now you're dead, back to the start of the cut scene with you.

:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think the sound of a chainsaw gave me flashbacks to RE4 for ages...

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think the sound of a chainsaw gave me flashbacks to RE4 for ages...

Haha! Ah those chainsaw bastards give me the Willie's alright. One slice of their weapon and it's game over. Lost many a head to them on this playthrough!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The only other game that gave me flashbacks in the real world was Ico, and the brightness and birdsong of early morning.
    It was/is exactly like when you step outside the castle, particularly the first time.
    Just gorgeous.
    Must play that through again

• Advertisement

The only other game that gave me flashbacks in the real world was Ico, and the brightness and birdsong of early morning.
    It was/is exactly like when you step outside the castle, particularly the first time.
    Just gorgeous.

Oh you've just given me my game to play at the weekend. Amiga emulator will be used.

flas.jpg?1530079777

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭barryribs

After the talk of RE a few weeks back, I went back and completed 5. Had never gotten beyond the third stage before, always found the setting awful and the controls awkward.

It only took 13 years for me to realise it's actually a great game. RE4 gets a lot of the praise for revolutionising the game play, but 5 is actually just more of the same. The QTE's are fine, I don't mind them too much. The whole boulder punching thing is ridiculous, but so is the giant mechanical robot chasing you in 4.

I can't get my head around how much I liked 4 for the GC, but couldn't stomach 5. Have 6 lined up now for Monday

Master of the Universe

Just gorgeous.

Here's something that's terrifying about ICO - it's 20 years old next year! :eek:

barryribs wrote: »
    After the talk of RE a few weeks back, I went back and completed 5. Had never gotten beyond the third stage before, always found the setting awful and the controls awkward.

It only took 13 years for me to realise it's actually a great game. RE4 gets a lot of the praise for revolutionising the game play, but 5 is actually just more of the same. The QTE's are fine, I don't mind them too much. The whole boulder punching thing is ridiculous, but so is the giant mechanical robot chasing you in 4.

I can't get my head around how much I liked 4 for the GC, but couldn't stomach 5. Have 6 lined up now for Monday

Resident Evil 5 really didn't get a lot of love when it came out. I remember playing through it at the time in the full knowledge of all the bad reviews and wasn't very fold of it myself.

Would be interested in giving it a go now after finishing 4 just to see what it's like after a decade.

Actually come to think of it, it's the last RE game I played in the main line of games. Haven't gone anywhere near 6 or 7.

Resident Evil 5 really didn't get a lot of love when it came out. I remember playing through it at the time in the full knowledge of all the bad reviews and wasn't very fold of it myself.

Would be interested in giving it a go now after finishing 4 just to see what it's like after a decade.

Actually come to think of it, it's the last RE game I played in the main line of games. Haven't gone anywhere near 6 or 7.

RE5 is a decent game for what it is, its not a resident evil game really, but its a good game. If you have the time i'd advise you play 7 or the revelations series (ideally revelations 2)

Master of the Universe

I always forget about the Revelations games - played the first one on the 3DS when it came out. Thought the Jill sections were great actually.

Never did play the sequel though, will look into picking that up. (Tends to be on sale on the Switch store a lot actually)

Yeah they never got mad attention, revelations 2 was on PSN on sale for 7 euro recently i believe too, its a good game, its split into an episodic story line and that helped alot i found.

Resident Evil 5 is a good if not great game. The focus on co-op meant it couldn't have the wildly inventive scenarios ad Resi 4 and it's always going to be a bad version of Resi 4.

Resident Evil 6 however is a giant steaming pile of horse**** and one of the worst games I've played in a very long time.

Resident Evil 5 is a good if not great game. The focus on co-op meant it couldn't have the wildly inventive scenarios ad Resi 4 and it's always going to be a bad version of Resi 4.

Resident Evil 6 however is a giant steaming pile of horse**** and one of the worst games I've played in a very long time.

True, it wasnt even that 6 was **** (which it was) but it was really flawed gameplay wise i thought and it was soul sucking to play more than 45 mins at a time.

Flashback is one of those games that really benefits from having Youtube around. There were a few crucial points I used always get stuck on in that game and had to use the level select codes to progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Fired up the Naomi/NetDimm cab yesterday and noticed more Atomiswave games got converted over to the Naomi.
    Dolphin Blue is just strange

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Love that game, always wanted to pick up an Atomiswave mobo and get a copy of it.

Finished Resident Evil 4 last night. The urge to start new game+ was very high!

Too many other games to get through though so it will have to wait.

Rather annoyingly, the timer on the game keeps running even when you turn the console off. It was a similar problem to the one I had with Blasphemous on the Switch.

So my RE4 completion time was 99hours, 59 minutes, 59 sections, literally maxed out the clock due to it :eek:

I'd say in reality it was about 20 hours or a little under.

Not really enjoying Super Mario Bros. 2 at all....it's an ok game in its own right, but as a Mario game (!), it's pretty poor. Quite repetitive, music quite generic and re-used, game itself is pretty one dimensional with the only variety being the end of world bosses...

Bit of a slog sadly, though I'm at world 5-2 & I gather there's only 7 worlds so thankfully not too long to go.

Master of the Universe

Might be interesting to give Doki Doki Panic a go afterwards to see how it plays in comparison. Wonder are there any gameplay elements which actually suit the original better. (or is it just a 1:1 reskin?)

There's a similar reskin job on the Megadrive, you're probably aware of it - Magical Flying Hat Turbo Adventure became Decap Attack in Europe. Looks like there were far more changes put through in that case though.

Super Mario Bros. 2 is definitely the better game. Lots of QOL extras added and it's a bit more fleshed out. Only thing Doki Doki Panic offers over SMB2 is a save system but you have to beat every level with every character to beat that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Fired up the Naomi/NetDimm cab yesterday and noticed more Atomiswave games got converted over to the Naomi.
    Dolphin Blue is just strange
    Love that game, always wanted to pick up an Atomiswave mobo and get a copy of it.
    It's just a Naomi+NetDimm setup away now :D

Master of the Universe

Every time I play it, I just imagine it's a collaboration between SNK and Sega.

'Metal Ecco The Dolphin Slug'

200.gif

Every time I play it, I just imagine it's a collaboration between SNK and Sega.

'Metal Ecco The Dolphin Slug'

200.gif

I think of
    In the Hunt for a Metal Ecco the Dolphin Slug, but each to his/her own...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Not really enjoying Super Mario Bros. 2 at all....it's an ok game in its own right, but as a Mario game (!), it's pretty poor. Quite repetitive, music quite generic and re-used, game itself is pretty one dimensional with the only variety being the end of world bosses...

Bit of a slog sadly, though I'm at world 5-2 & I gather there's only 7 worlds so thankfully not too long to go.

It is good to hear different perspectives on game I made my mind up about years ago but never spoke to anyone about their impressions on it, I always felt Super Mario bros 2 was a far better game than Super Mario bros, less liner, more variety of character, horizontal as well as vertical gameplay and being able to pick up items was a game changer.

It is good to hear different perspectives on game I made my mind up about years ago but never spoke to anyone about their impressions on it, I always felt Super Mario bros 2 was a far better game than Super Mario bros, less liner, more variety of character, horizontal as well as vertical gameplay and being able to pick up items was a game changer.

Yeah it's interesting how opinions will differ on it. I went into it a bit cynical really given how we all know it was a last-minute Nintendo decision to make some changes to Doki and call it a Mario game (I would say the correct decision, given the brutality of the actual SMB 2). So I never felt the 'soul' of the game was a Mario one. Everything you said above is true, it's less linear, more character differentiation, horizontal gameplay, etc....I just don't feel it quite 'fits' in the Mario space.

I beat the game yesterday, though used savestates to get experience of the later levels. Made it to 5-3 today from the start before dying (didn't have time to continue as I had to head out)...I feel with another couple of runs at it I'll beat it without save states & only use the built-in continue system. I can't say I'll miss the game, particularly given the masterpiece that proceeds it next in the series...but it's been interesting sitting and spending time with a game I've never really ever played before.

I might take a break from Mario when this one is finished though, and play something a bit more modern. I'm thinking the original Resident Evil 2...I finished the REmake two or so years ago, and have been hankering to continue the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Playing Cosmic Star Heroine and Phantasy Star on the Switch, Cosmic not a bad little Sci-Fi RPG and Phantasy Star is just a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Gonna bust out some classic PS2 horror over the weekend. Haunting Grounds first up with Clock Tower 3 and Rule of Rose time permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Playing Ridge Racer on PSP. This is the first time I've played a PSP since the screen went dodgy on mine in 2007/08!

Man this takes me back. It was such a big deal to me at the time. Huge screen, PS2 graphics, it meant business. I remember watching loads of unboxings and reading all the reviews just to see pictures.

I'm looking forward to playing all the games I missed out on :)

Getting pretty frustrated with Mario 2 now :( It can be very cheap where it places respawning enemies (spiders, and bullets), the controls can be twitchy and unresponsive at crucial moments (I think I might detest the digging sections), and it's a big stinking pile of poo of a game*

*yes I've just died on 7-2 :mad:

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Playing Ridge Racer on PSP. This is the first time I've played a PSP since the screen went dodgy on mine in 2007/08!

Man this takes me back. It was such a big deal to me at the time. Huge screen, PS2 graphics, it meant business. I remember watching loads of unboxings and reading all the reviews just to see pictures.

I'm looking forward to playing all the games I missed out on :)

The only part of Ridge Racer on the PSP that I didn't like was the addition of boosting, which turned up in RR6 on the 360.

Getting pretty frustrated with Mario 2 now :( It can be very cheap where it places respawning enemies (spiders, and bullets), the controls can be twitchy and unresponsive at crucial moments (I think I might detest the digging sections), and it's a big stinking pile of poo of a game*

*yes I've just died on 7-2 :mad:

Annnnnnnnd done. One continue used (a save state used merely to save the game between one day and the next, as my aged patience can't cope with games much longer than 45 mins these days :o)

IMG-20200706-153536.jpg

Truth be told I've come to enjoy the game :o I think it has flaws in terms of some of its mechanics being not as refined as they could be, but all told, yeah, I got to like it as time went on.

Thinking Resident Evil 2 next, before I tackle Super Mario 3 :)

• Advertisement

Well done. I need to finish it myself and Mario 3!

I think the biggest hang up is comparing Mario 2 to other mario games. It's not as well designed and feels totally alien.

However if you take it out of context of the Mario games it really is a top tier NES platformer with really interesting level design and play mechanics.

However if you take it out of context of the Mario games it really is a top tier NES platformer with really interesting level design and play mechanics.

I'd have to agree with that, despite my previous expressions of dislike of the game. Strangely, I'll miss playing it now!

I might revisit the trilogy via the All Stars format at a later date!

Just coming back to this, now that I've got comfortable with & beat the game...I'm a lot more fond of it now. I don't feel it's a better game than SMB 1, but it's still a damn fine game (despite it's flaws...it's damned cheap at times!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Just coming back to this, now that I've got comfortable with & beat the game...I'm a lot more fond of it now. I don't feel it's a better game than SMB 1, but it's still a damn fine game (despite it's flaws...it's damned cheap at times!)

Yep, bizarre game considering the series, but really good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

3 is next then obv, I dont think I've ever completed 2 or 3

• Advertisement
Advertisement