Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Downloaded Bangai-O Missile Fury for the 360 last night, bit of a steal at a tenner!

It's gas actually, I've had that 360 since about 2007 I'd say and it's the only digital game I've ever bought for it :eek:

Crazy to think how much digital content I've bought for modern consoles, I was so against the idea back in that generation of consoles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I still prefer physical media although the big releases are the only ones I seem to buy these days, indies tend to be digital.
    My Switch is chocablock with digital titles at this point

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 ShedsDirectIre

I found my old copy of Wild 9 in the parents attic last weekend. Really enjoyed playing that when I was younger and it still holds up now. It's a massively under appreciated PS1 game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's still a lot of good games stuck on the PS3 and 360 digitally. I'm trying to get through my 360 games.

I've gone near full digital now. Just makes more sense on PC as the games will always be there and work on your system. Kind of gone mostly digital on Switch as well which I don't like but I just don't have the room any more.

As for Bangai-O Missile Fury... good luck if you ever try to beat it.

Master of the Universe

Yeah when I first booted it up and suddenly had a thousand missiles all around me targeted at once with no way out I knew I was in for quite the game :D

I know it says 'HD' in the title, but it looks absolutely gorgeous on a CRT in SD mode.

To be honest, with the whole digital/physical thing, part of my decision was a space one, I'm running out!

Made a bit of a decision that any console previous to the current gen I'd stick with my physical collection as I love it, but anything modern would be digital if I could. Saying that, I do have a collection of about 10 or so Switch physical games. (They're just so bloody lovely!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I have all the physical discs of the games I used to play but nowhere to insert them (save the external CD drive I have) , and no-CD hax for all the games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I generally go with Steam because it's so bloody cheap.

Still pick up a few PS4 game physical as they're often cheaper than the digital version.

Having been out of the loop on modern consoles till lately I resent having to pay a subscription to play console games online. Had PS Plus for a year or so but I cancelled it because I don't play online very consistently and I wasn't interested in 3/4 of the free games.

Master of the Universe

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Also it's annoying how dependent games are on it, I'm absolutely sick of Dark Souls 3 trying to log on and tell me I need a Game Pass sub every time I want to have a game.

I did have Game Pass for a bit (and it is definitely great value) but found I ended up suffering the the old 'spoiled for choice' syndrome - downloaded loads of games but never played any of them.

So instead I bought a few games that I'd been tinkering with on Game Pass and then cancelled my subscription.

Master of the Universe

And that's Hotline Miami 2 finished off on the Switch.

Played through them both now the whole story does not make one iota of sense. Loved every minute of it though. Will have to check out a plot explanation.

Also started Resident Evil Revaluations 2 earlier, for some reason it's a free download on the Xbox 360 store.

Actually I also started playing Valkyrie Chronicles 4 today too. Loved the first Chronicles, so this seems to be more of the same with a bit of visual gloss and some new units, can't complain though as its a fantastic battle system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

o1s1n wrote: »

Played through them both now the whole story does not make one iota of sense. Loved every minute of it though. Will have to check out a plot explanation.

Also started Resident Evil Revaluations 2 earlier, for some reason it's a free download on the Xbox 360 store.

Actually I also started playing Valkyrie Chronicles 4 today too. Loved the first Chronicles, so this seems to be more of the same with a bit of visual gloss and some new units, can't complain though as its a fantastic battle system.

love the hotline miami games......the second one does have a hidden ending/segment too iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

4c28ad.jpg

Master of the Universe

That genuinely made me lol, very good :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It might sound like utter blasphemy but I've been enjoying Final Fantasy Tactics on my phone. The touch controls actually work really well and it's by far the best way to play the game as it has updated sprite work and the PSP translation without the PSP issues of stretched graphics and slowdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I like doing the odd Mario Sunshine stage at lunchtime!

523634.jpeg

I loved that game on release but not sure how much I could put up with the blue coins and some of the more controller throwing levels these days.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it’s so damn hard! Not sure what to do about the blue coins.

I copied my save from back in the day to a new slot and it was sitting at 111 shines. I must’ve just got fed up!

Not sure what to do about the blue coins.

Gamefaqs. It's what I did. No shame in it.

The worst thing about blue coins is that it's doesn't keep a tally of how mnay and which ones you collected in a level.

I just checked the score board you see in Super Mario Sunshine when you hit Z and it shows the blue coins per level in there!

I just checked the score board you see in Super Mario Sunshine when you hit Z and it shows the blue coins per level in there!

Ah ok, but it doesn't show you which ones so I had to basically go back and collect them all even if they were missing as I didn't know which ones I missed.

It's worth doing though as some coins are hidden in areas of the levels you might not have visited.

It’s a total pain in the arse either way.

I’ve only opened 4 levels, so I might look at GameFaqs and see what the story is.

I played more last night and rage quit at the first Pachinko slide!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Music in the Fludd-less zones are so chilled you'd swear David Wise did the soundtrack. The levels are also paced at such a rhythm that they're not especially easier when you get to go back and do them with Fludd later.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭raven999

Got this english version of grandia on the Saturn am really enjoying it

IMG_20200822_123529915.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

raven999 wrote: »
    Got this english version of grandia on the Saturn am really enjoying it

IMG_20200822_123529915.jpg

I see thats available for download now for the Fenrir alright, nice get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

beware as you are going to do the same thing I did on Steam and not realise that it is just the first part and you'll have to buy the full game
    worth it though as it is fun

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭raven999

I got the game off Etsy case and 2 discs for €7 with free postage well worth it and just ordered Saturn bomberman

Master of the Universe

Skerries wrote: »
    beware as you are going to do the same thing I did on Steam and not realise that it is just the first part and you'll have to buy the full game
    worth it though as it is fun

Noooo seriously??? thanks for the heads up!! Won't continue with that version any more and will pick it up on the XB1 instead.

So I finished up Last of Us 2 (meh/10) and started my Radiant Silvergun journey by setting up the XBox 360.

Going to play Story mode and keep a file that will keep my weapon levels and carry them over to the next game. However unlike the saturn mode of the saturn game the story mode of xbox 360 gives you a life every hour played.... the saturn version gave you an entire credit.

The arcade mode gives credits at the 3 hour mark but it's not a straight run through of the game and missing some of the extra bosses of the saturn mode.

So I've a long way to go. My other option is to pull out the saturn and play that but it's a lot of effort.

Anyway my progress has been... terrible. I got as far as the first stage boss but didn't beat him. My old nemesis, the R-type boss homage, keeps stealing all my credits. I used to be able to get to the boss of Stage 2 easily enough and sometimes into stage 3 on one credit but my skills are very rusty!

48 minutes played so not gotten that first extra life.

Have to say I still consider it probably the greatest shmup ever made. I know a lot of bullet hell fans turn their nose up at it but I think the boss and attack pattern design is in another league compared to bullet hell games, they don't even come close. The only other game I'd say that has bosses coming close to Radiant Silvergun is G-Darius. If there's one complaint is that the non-boss stages are few and far between and can be a bit of an after thought but you know what, I love bosses and Radiant Silvergun is a masterclass in boss design. The chaining is a bit of a problem as it's a bit too complicated, Ikaruga's simplification is a lot more intuitive, but again it's only a concern at high level play.

Avoiding Last of Us 2 by playing Star Fox Assault in GC. First time playing this one. First stage it good, but it’s missing something compared to 64.

On foot levels? Haha wtf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I started playing mega Turrican, It is actually good which surprised me as most western games of that time where poor when it came to level design and fairness, Music is great. Funnily enough I see a collection just got announced.

• Advertisement

Avoiding Last of Us 2 by playing Star Fox Assault in GC. First time playing this one. First stage it good, but it’s missing something compared to 64.

Missing something from 64? The entire game is a **** show. There's only 3 arwing levels and only the first is any good. The other stages are atrocious.
    I started playing mega Turrican, It is actually good which surprised me as most western games of that time where poor when it came to level design and fairness, Music is great. Funnily enough I see a collection just got announced.

Mega Turrican is class. Made by Factor 5

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Missing something from 64? The entire game is a **** show. There's only 3 arwing levels and only the first is any good. The other stages are atrocious.

So, to be clear, are the 3 Arwing levels including the ones where you're sometimes in an Arwing?

I'm on Falco's Wing right now shooting things and it's been... a mixed bag...

Ugh, got to the 4th stage... WTF is up with this game? I also bought Star Fox Zero for Wii U at the start of lockdown, is it also ****

Next, Soul Calibur 2.

So, to be clear, are the 3 Arwing levels including the ones where you're sometimes in an Arwing?

I'm on Falco's Wing right now shooting things and it's been... a mixed bag...

There's 3 traditional Arwing levels. You've already played the only good one.

The game is garbage.

I've heard people defend Star Fox Zero. I've not played it myself but there's mixed reactions to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭barryribs

Starfox zero is really good, but the controls are awful. It was a real ham fisted effort to get the second screen and motion control into use.

Master of the Universe

How has there not been a good Starfox game since the n64? It's actually crazy when you think about it - it's just an on rails shooter, how hard can it be to get right?

I haven't played Starfox Zero, it looked absolutely lovely but I've heard it's ruined by the controls alright.

Would be great to see a Switch port with traditional controls added.

How has there not been a good Starfox game since the n64? It's actually crazy when you think about it - it's just an on rails shooter, how hard can it be to get right?

I haven't played Starfox Zero, it looked absolutely lovely but I've heard it's ruined by the controls alright.

Would be great to see a Switch port with traditional controls added.

The problem is nintendo seem to not want to keep to the same formula with Starfox so keep changing the formula up and doing something different with it despite people just wanting another rail shooter.

I did hear Zero is good if you get used to is, it is a platinum game afterall. It's totally tied to the gamepad so I think a port is out of the question.

Starfox on the DS was fun and felt like a follow up to Starfox 2.... which we also got.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Forget Starfox as an on-rail shooter: bring on the Kid Icarus Uprising remaster or sequel. Low-key one of the best Nintendo games of the last decade, and would soar even higher with a standard control scheme as an option.

Forget Starfox as an on-rail shooter: bring on the Kid Icarus Uprising remaster or sequel. Low-key one of the best Nintendo games of the last decade, and would soar even higher with a standard control scheme as an option.

I want this without the crippling hand strain.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

That was some game alright but yeah, I always felt like I'd done some kind of permanent nerve damage to my hand after a play through.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Always a good sign when your game has to come bundled with a stand for comfort reasons :pac:

I never found the game quite as bad I don’t think, but definitely would be amazing to get a dual stick Switch version. Their incorporation of the difficulty multiplier gauge was a stroke of genius - don’t recall if Smash Bros preceded it or borrowed it, but definitely one of the great ideas for a high-score game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Picked up Midway Arcade Treasures 2 for the PS2 today, put a lot hours into this years back as it was the only way for us to play MK2, MK3, NARC and the likes. Also reading through the booklet at lunch made me realize how much i miss booklets with games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was an apologist for Starfox Zero back upon release but the control systems are terrible, spoiling the game.
    Nintendo seemed to be forcing dual screen gameplay on people, along with idiosyncratic controls, and it just took a potentially great update to the franchise and made it unplayable.
    I wasn't a fan of Kirby on the WiiU either, they took it all and made you have to give all your attention to the tablet, meaning you lost all those lovely HD visuals.

I had hoped for a Starfox Zero port to the Switch, ditching the nonsense controls, but no sign, a pity then.

Finally made some progress on my Demon's Souls 2010 game save,
    Got by the crappy section after Adjudicator aka 4-2 and killed Old Hero boss and Storm King. Getting to the bosses is always harder than the bosses themselves.

Got by Valley of Defilement swamp area, beat Dirty Colossus boss, NPC Garl Vinland and Maiden Astraea :)

And now on Maneater boss at end of Tower of Latria.

Maneater gave me the most trouble in that game.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Maneater gave me the most trouble in that game.

Yes I've heard bad things, looking forward to the remaster and what they change or fix, any thoughts on that @Retr0gamer?

EDIT : Maneater second try and Old Monk first try, must be overpowered now :) great.
    Onto last level.

Well when bluepoint remade shadow of the colossus they changed the graphics but not the gameplay. The might do the same for demons souls but I think that game could do with some tweaks to bring it to the level of the more modern from games.

I'm not happy I'll need to buy a ps5 to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Played a bit of Streets of Rage 4 the other day. I wasn't a fan of the visual style when I first saw the trailer but after playing it I like it. Retro soundtrack, of course. Hoping to sit down to play it a bit more now.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Played a bit of Streets of Rage 4 the other day. I wasn't a fan of the visual style when I first saw the trailer but after playing it I like it. Retro soundtrack, of course. Hoping to sit down to play it a bit more now.

The added a lot of post processing to the game that really makes the visuals shine. The original reveal was lacking the post processing so it was very jarring.

Master of the Universe

Streets of Rage 4 really is a lot of fun. I played a bit of an online game for the first time the other night with some random person, was actually a lot of fun.

Interesting how, even when you can't speak or communicate with another player, the universal gamer code of allowing the person with the lower health to go for the chicken/apples still comes through :D

Playing through some Megadrive and Mastersystem games this evening. Thought I'd give Bart Versus the Space Mutants a go, I absolutely hated it when it came out and haven't played it since.

God was I right on the money, it's a pile of sh1te!

• Advertisement
Advertisement