Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I Still haven't played Chu Chu rocket. I feel like such a noob :pac:

Going to try to mainly work my way through the shooter library at the moment I think. Some great looking Japanese only titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Power stone 1 & 2 are great as well, as is Space channel 5.

Master of the Universe

ghostchant wrote: »
    Power stone 1 & 2 are great as well, as is Space channel 5.

They're all at the top of the list :)

Just had a go of Under Defeat. Wow! Feels more like a current gen game. Actually so far the Dreamcast feels a lot newer than the ps2..even though it came out before it. What's that about?

Also have Ecco Defender of the Future ready to go. This looks like it's going to be a good weekend of gaming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Ah yeah Power Stone. I have the Power Stone collection on the PSP and it's awesome!

Although I'm sure ye'll argue the originals are better :)

Master of the Universe

Wtf, you can rotate the screen in Under Defeat! Now there's a reason to buy a VGA box.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

o1s1n -

Get Marvel Vs Capcom 2,
    Virtua Striker 2 (if you like footie games, tis the only reason I got a DC years ago)
    MSR (Metropolis Street Racer).
    Grandia
    Silent Scope/Confidential Mission (If you have a lightgun)

There a heaps of good games on the DC.

Master of the Universe

looks like I'm going to have to buy yet another arcade stick. The Dreamcast pad is nice, but it's really not doing these shooters any justice.

Seems you can rotate the screen for Ikaruga too. I am very tempted to turn my LCD tv sideways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

o1s1n wrote: »
    I Still haven't played Chu Chu rocket. I feel like such a noob :pac:

Don't do it, it'll just wreck your head. The addictiveness is insane.
    Damn cats..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Ah yeah Power Stone. I have the Power Stone collection on the PSP and it's awesome!

Although I'm sure ye'll argue the originals are better :)

I have the PSP collection too, great when on the bus, though it can't beat crowding around the tv playing 4-player power stone 2, me and my brothers played it to death :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Powerstone, most fun I ever had with a fighting game, brilliant.
    Never picked up the PSP edition, but I have the first one on the DC, didn't like the second one at all, for some reason.

MSR though, still brilliant, what the DC was made for.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

So I've pretty much just spent the whole weekend playing the following shooters -

Layer Section 1 & 2
    1 is absolutely incredible. I love it. Everything from the sprite art to the soundtrack to the controls. Just brilliant.
    The lock on controls seemed very familar though. They're identical to ReZ. Even the way your projectile things fire out after being locked on. It's not a bad thing, not at all...after playing so much Rez lately it felt like I had played this before. But yeah, that got the most plays. Really addictive stuff.

Layer Section 2...meh. Not bad, just shows you how much better sprite art has aged over time though. Nothing compared to the first.

Ikaruga, Under Defeat & Shikigami No Shiro 2. -

The first two are so much fun I sat with my jaw on the floor, drooling while I played through. The whole game mechanic of Ikaruga is just so good it boggles the mind as to why it hasn't been done before.

The smoke effects in Under Defeat are just eye wateringly pretty. Actually after playing that I really wanted to give Zero Gunner 2 a go, but alas, the disc wouldn't boot up.

Shikigami is good too, just I much rather spaceship shooters than these Cave styled ones with people...plus it's a bit too bullet hellish for my liking. I don't mind bullet hell games, it just when there are half a billion projectiles on screen, and no matter what you do, you seem to avoid them all without being hit..an eyebrow does get raised. Seems it's made to look more difficult than it is.

So you think I'd be sick of playing shooters after all that. But no, no I'm not. I just want to play more. MORE!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You are probably playing Layer Section 2 on the saturn. It really should be played on the PS1 since the saturn can't handle the 3D and transparencies. Layer Section 1 is amazing on the saturn.

I can safely say that Under Defeat is the best looking game on the Dreamcast. It looks phenomenal especially when you pause it and change the camera.

Zero Gunner 2 is great as well but noit as good as under defeat.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You are probably playing Layer Section 2 on the saturn. It really should be played on the PS1 since the saturn can't handle the 3D and transparencies.

Yeah I sat there thinking 'wow, the Saturn really was not made for this'.

Didn't know it was on the ps1. Will check that out.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I can safely say that Under Defeat is the best looking game on the Dreamcast. It looks phenomenal especially when you pause it and change the camera.

Zero Gunner 2 is great as well but noit as good as under defeat.

Under Defeat could have been released yesterday on the 360 and I wouldn't think any different. I will be rotating my LCD TV for that when I can figure out some way of securing it properly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I got the "Shooters Collection" for the DC from a site, kinda....
    It's very good with some almost unintelligible japanses shooters on it.
    It feels like you are sampling illegal drugs, but have no idea what they are, just get this enormous buzz, confusion, a headache, wait til it wears off before you try another one!

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It feels like you are sampling illegal drugs, but have no idea what they are, just get this enormous buzz, confusion, a headache, wait til it wears off before you try another one!

I can see you now, late shift on a ward, a Dreamcast with Shikigami No Shiro 2 and the key to a drugs cabinet.

:pac::pac::pac:

Thankfully as a manager I don't have to do nights any more!
    But for 17 years I did them every 6 weeks or so, and in would come the console de jour, and so I finished GTAIII, Halo/2/3, played lots of Sonic 3, experimented with my new PS playing the demo disk with Loaded in front of a bemused colleague, oh yes, a lot of my gaming blissed out moments have been there!

Silent Hill 2, in a darkened ward, in a psychiatric hospital at 3am! It's as the game is meant to be played! Not funny wandering around the dormitory with a torch to guide you in the dark after surveying a very similar hospital, also with a torch, in the dark in Silent Hill 2, always waiting for some 8ft pyramid helmeted thing to wander out of the toilets and back to bed!

At the same time, heading back home, on foot, the morning after nights, especially on a Sunday, in summer, with the birds singing and the sound of the wind in the trees and the waves crashing on the nearby beach, transports me to the land of Ico, still does even now, hmmm......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Played a bit of Super Mario World and Sonic 3 and Knuckles last night because I wasn't in the mood of anything more demanding. Still awesome games. I wish there were some good turn your brain off games like these around today. Even Rez stresses me out.

I know what you mean, although I did finish the main quest in Fallout 3 last night, oddly a sense of relief as well as elation.

Mr. Jack Burton promptly posted my new MD games and now I own Street Racer, Street Fighter II, F22 Interceptor, Super Skidmarks and MegaGames II, which contains those wonderful games, Shinobi, Golden Axe and of course my favourite, Street of Rage, nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Recently completed Vice Project Doom on the NES. Complete and utter BASTARD of a game:eek:

Last year I managed to pull off the Megaman X grand slam, completing all games on the SNES, PS1 and PS2. Almost droveme completely insane but was totally worth it;)

Currently playing Rastan Saga on MAME. Complete bitch of a game but I'm gonna keep at it until it's beaten.

• Advertisement

Vice Project Doom is one of those hidden classics on the NES. Brilliant game.

I really must play and finish the Megaman X series, heard nothing but good things.

Master of the Universe

Leynos 2 - this game is currently kicking my arse.

Managed to get passed the first level (Kept dying - until I rememered about the shield!..feckin eejit)

Keep getting zapped by the big cannon on level 2 though.

Have to say, this game has a great 'just one more go' thing to it. It's one of those instances where you don't throw the controller to the other side of the room when you die - you actually try to learn from your mistake and go again.

A far cry from Assault Suits Leynos..which was cart smashingly frustrating.

Burned Leynos 2 but didn't work, will try again
    Started Bioshock 2 last night, nice drill, nice!

Master of the Universe

Burned Leynos 2 but didn't work, will try again
    Started Bioshock 2 last night, nice drill, nice!

I haven't even played the first Bioshock.

Keep meaning to pick it up but never do.

My poor 360 never gets any love.

I only played a tiny bit of Leynos 2 but what a way to start a game. Within 2 minutes you are battling a boss about 5 times bigger than the screen.

Retro, you typically should the dogged determination to defeat any oversize boss from the deepest darkest recesses of Bullet Hell!
    Don't let us down on this one!

Played a spot of Rogue Galaxy last night, now that Fallout 3 is on hiatus, before I return to the DLC, I might try to get back into this one, forgot how beautiful it was, and if that's a success I may whip out DragonQuest and see how it goes.

• Advertisement

I didn't play much of rogue galaxy but I much preferred Dragon Quest 8 which I have to say is one of the best RPGs ever made. If you do decide to play DQ8 one tip is to focus your upgrades on maxing out one weapon type, maybe have a secondary one for the main character since his boomerang is so useful. You won't get enough points to get anywhere near maxing them all out.

You see that's the thing, I try these games before getting bogged down in countless stats, magic spell combinations, creating parties for quests and immense amounts of customisable weapons, armour, there is simply too much going on!
    Why can't they make these things a little simpler, perhaps a mode for people like me where the characters are automatically leveled up, along with the stats, where dungeon trawling and random battles are kept to a minimum?
    I mean I like Oblivion, KOTOR, Fallout 3, why can't more RPGs be like that?

Well a lot of the fun I have is from understanding the systems and exploiting them. Games like Final Fantasy 8 and FF Tactics are great because you can break the battle system in so many ways and finding them out is half the fun. Oblivion and Fallout 3 aren't really that customisable and are quite simple really. I actually found Kotor to be far more complicated than any JRPG with it being based on D&D, it's talk of dice rolls and the amount of stats to be customised. I also hated the game for the inane conversations that went on for ever and dull battle system.

You'll be pleased to know that DQ8 is actually rather simple but it's depth steadily builds up over time. It's very old school though, although I found this charming, so expect a steep difficulty curve at time, random battles and dungeon crawling.

I found the d20 system in KOTOR no problem at all, maybe there is hope for me after all!

It just seemed very out of place in a star wars setting :) I'm also not a D&D player so found it new and weird.

Maybe if you want to start getting into JRPGs you should start with something like Grandia or Persona 3. Both have no random battles, are easy to understand with a lot of hidden depth excellent battle systems and aren't grindy (well persona is a little). Grandia also has wonderful dungeon design. Persona 3 has random dungeons but it actually works very well, I usually hate random dungeons.

• Advertisement

I have Persona 3 there, yet to be played, the random dungeons, saw that in Dark Chronicle, another game I have not really played but own! Looks lovely though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just finished Bioshock 2, great game, trying to beat maximum carnage right now, its fukcing hard

You FINISHED Bioshock 2?
    Crap!
    I only bought the thing!
    Did you play it non stop?
    Is it incredibly short?
    It's short right, feck! It's short, I knew I should have bought Mass Effect 2 instead!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I have Persona 3 there, yet to be played, the random dungeons, saw that in Dark Chronicle, another game I have not really played but own! Looks lovely though!

Dark Chronicle is a bit of a pain tbh. Endless Dungeon crawling, I got tired of it and haven't really been pushed to put it back on. What did you think, aside from graphics?

Yep, my sentiments exactly, in fact, the early part seems to be exactly that too, an actual crawl, with rubbish abilities through a dungeon, taking jrpg stereotypes a tad literally I think!
    I always imagine I quit these things too soon, that if I was only a little smarter I could really enjoy this japanese turn based games so many love, then I spy Quake or PGR4 out of the corner of my eye, through Dark Chronicle back into the pile, and get back to nuking things with a really really big fecking gun!

Master of the Universe

I really miss not having the time to play through RPGs any more. Loved leveling characters up and toying about with the games systems. Final Fantasy IX has been completely put to the side since I got back to work. Which is a shame as I was really enjoying it.

To anyone in college/other form of education - play as many RPGs as you can while you have free time! You won't have it again.

I'm in college and get no time for RPGs. I've been on the fifth mission of Front Mission 5 in the last few weeks. I haven't even gotten to the mission yet. I turned on the PS2 and got through two tiny bits of dialogue and saved. I'm lucky if I get home from college before 10 these days even on weekends and a girlfriend isn't helping anything either. At least i have my DS. Only bit of gaming I've really gotten has been a bit of phoenix wright each night.

Master of the Universe

Heh, reminds me of that old ad 'Daddy or chips?'

'Girlfriend or videogames?'

I've been sneaking consoles out from the games room into the sitting room one by one. As I never actually seem to be arsed to go into a separate room to play anything. In the beginning there was just an Xbox there to 'play DVDs'. It has now gone on to include the Super Famicom and a Dreamcast. I think the girlfriend might notice if I attempt to include the Megadrive/CD/32X combo! Maybe I can cover it in a nice throw...

o1s1n's GF: What's that?! *Pointing at SFC
    o1s1n: Erm... it's just there to play videos ^.^
    GF: ¬.¬
    o1s: ...Tapes then???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

Found my old Gameboy Advance in the attic and have been playing Super Mario World 3 and Tetris.

Speaking of RPG's I'm having a Bethesda fest, playing Oblivion and Fallout 3 GOTY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Metal Slug 2

Master of the Universe

o1s1n's GF: What's that?! *Pointing at SFC
    o1s1n: Erm... it's just there to play videos ^.^
    GF: ¬.¬
    o1s: ...Tapes then???

I'm using floppy disks with that Super Famicom. Do you know what my girlfriend said?

'The 80's called, they want their technology back'

:(
    Metal Slug 2

Argh this annoys me. I much rather the colour pallette in Metal Slug 2 to Metal Slug X. The desert levels
    look much nicer in daylight than night time. (Not that Metal Slug X isn't beauitful, but 2 just looks nicer)

However, the slowdown just makes it unplayable. I'm always forced to go for X instead.

Saying that..I do love X. It's the one game in the series I'm closest to 1 crediting.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm using floppy disks with that Super Famicom. Do you know what my girlfriend said?

:(

:eek: Oh no she di-ent!

Originally Posted by o1s1n viewpost.gif

In fairness, that is a quality line!:pac:

That's a pretty sweet smack down you got there, best not introduce her to Game&Watch or MB Simon then, or it'll be the 70's calling instead!
    I tried sneaking consoles into the sitting room but to no avail, although the sheer retro coolness of the Vectrex meant that it lasted, beside the big TV, quite a lot longer than expected.
    Next experiment, see how she reacts to the Steel Batallion controller on the coffee table, problem no.1, no room any more for actual coffee.....

Is this a well known saying?? If not here's my t-shirt design:

80s-1.png

All sales profits go to O1s1n's better half for the quality one-liner.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

playing this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro_Game_Challenge
    on the DS at the moment , kind of weird in that its challenges based on fake NES games (i.e. NES style retro games made specfically for the DS game).
    it's quite good.

Master of the Universe

I remember playing through that when it came out. It's a really interesting concept for a game. Some of the mini games aren't the greatest, but it's still a lot of fun.

Master of the Universe

Spent last night playing the 2600 for a bit. Pretty much had forgotten I own one. Must buy a few more games for it. The only game I have at the moment that's enjoyable is Yar's Revenge. Have asteroids but the flickering would make you have a fit it's so bad. Then I also have Pole Position and The Empire Strikes back. Pole Position looks fairly amazing for such an old game but meh, they don't hold my attention very long.

Went on to a bit of Metal Slug 3 and Aero Fighters 2 after that. It's amazing how easy those two series get when you spend a few weeks playing Ikaruga every day!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Playing alot of Tomb Raider: Legend. I'm very into it, although it isn't as hard as Anniversary. Anniversary was more like the first TR; exploration and puzzles. Legend is alot of action, killing bad guys, the exploration part isn't very taxing either but it has some cool bits like when your on the Motorbike. The graphics seem just a little bit less polished than Anniversary I have found too, with slightly barely noticeable slowdowns and roughness, but I can forgive it. The voice acting is well down and the story is alright as far as I'm concerned.

I think in Anniversary, there was a great sense of isolation and trepidation as you explored your environment, which were spooky, ancient crypt's with dark secrets. You might be attacked by a Lion or a Gorilla, but in Legend you fight almost exclusively against human enemies, and there are hundreds of those. I don't know, it's not really something to complain about, it just seems the original atmosphere was lost, but the game is still class, and I will definetly play this until I clear it.

Advertisement