Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'm on the last bit which has a lot of sailing. I even have the swift sail thingy on the Wii U version. Must finish it up soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really liked that meme fad a few months ago where they stuck Linkin park inappropriately into poignant videogame moments and ruined them as if they were made in 2005.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, what we really, really want is a Dark Souls/ LoZ mash up...

Hyrule Souls...

Have to say, I would play the sh1t out of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I kind of scoffed at the idea of a super adult blood and guts Zelda game earlier in the thread but after thinking about it, an incredibly Dark version of Zelda, styalised along the lines of Dark Souls might be interesting. Or would it just be Lord of The Rings? 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, I don't know...

LoZ has incredibly well described and, I might say, expected areas, from Hyrule Castle to the Deku Tree, from Death Mountain to Zora's Domain, you can see equivalent environments from the Souls games could slot right in, and make a dark as pitch LoZ game.

Lord of the Rings wouldn't work, too much walking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Master of the Universe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

"I'm sorry but the loathsome Dung Eater is in another castle"

(I know I'm mixing up my Nintendo franchises but I don't care 😆)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can see the website headlines already:

Is Zelden Ring the Dark Souls of Zelda?

• Advertisement

Right need to get this off my chest.

found Crash Bandicoot 2 to be a perfectly cromulent platformer. I thought it was far from a masterpiece PS1 fanboys made it out to be but decent enough.

Well I got to the last few stages last night and I can safely say **** anyone that says this is a great game. It just got mean and obnoxious and to make matters worse if you are going for secrets it manages to break everyone of it's own rules.

Also if I ever meet whoever designed the green nitro crates I will physically assault them. Whoever thought it was a good idea to have the hop off the ground at random thus running the no death run you needed to get 100% crates in the level can burn in hell.

Master of the Universe

Absolutely spoiled for choice at the moment with games.

Started Persona 4 again a few days ago, also started Hogwarts Legacy - now just read Metroid Prime is out today on the Switch and Zelda TOTK is due out in May? Oh and an Advance Wars remake in April?

WHERE AM I GOING TO FIND ALL THE TIME FOR THIS 😮

/Edit - and now I've heard there's a Castlevania/Dead Cells mash up game coming out too??

Yep, each announcement at that Nintendo direct last night had my wallet groaning.

Master of the Universe

I'm starting to think I might need to fake my own death to actually get the time to play through it all 😁

So what do you do after coming from Crash 2 traumatised?

Jump into Crash 3...

Not sure why I did but I've stuck with it. It's still got the flaws of the uninteresting level tile sets and boring enemies but it's so far a lot better and fairer game. Over the halfway point already. We will see if it ends up breaking me in the later stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Tapped out at Crash 3 last year after trying the series for the first time. Maybe burned out on the series too quickly but 3 felt a bit immediately gimmicky in a way I generally dread with 3rd entries.

On my playlist, there's Dragon Quest 7 remake on the 3DS. Haven't been well recently so it's the perfect combination of almost episodic anime with a grindy system bolted onto it, so it's ideal distraction to pass the time at the minute. Pace is slow, which is fine, but it's quite the novelty to see a jobs system only introduced after 20+ hours.

Finally finished Burnout Revenge on the 360 there as well. These Burnout games seem to always end on an anti-climax because you end up cheesing the final missions to unlock the Elite license. You don't feel particularly triumphant eeking out 3rd on a challenge because you've learned exploit the blindspots of the rubberbanding AI versus, and hear me out, just being good at the game. Wonderful games all the same, if not a bit drawn out for its own good but it's not the first racer to be guilty of that (here's looking at you Outrun 2006).

Post edited by Mr.Saturn on

I'm finding Crash 3 good, but the racing stages are really poor. Also the new abilities you get after each boss feel like you are breaking the game. I'm over the halfway mark now. I really don't get the requirements for unlocking the 5 'secret' areas. It's all just based on getting the time trial ankhs but the bottom tier sapphire ankh is valid for the unlock and seems to be doled out as a participation trophy so all you are doing is playing all the levels twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Still a great game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Finally got around to finishing Max Payne on the PC (Steam, widescreen patch, hi resolution texture mod)....I've so much nostalgia for games/graphics of this era that I'm definitely biased when I say it holds up fine. It's a bog standard 3rd person action game, but the soundtrack, narration, and of course the snow....all come together to make it a bit more than the sum of its parts (for me). Great game.

Speaking of old PC games I started playing Deus Ex Invisible War.

Pain in the arse to get running, the game has conflicts with near everything in Windows which means it hangs on loading into the game from the menu.

Anyone interested in playing, my work around is to open task manager, open the game, let it hang loading then ctrl alt del and sign out. The sign out will end all tasks in the background but task manager will hold up the sign out enough so you can cancel it. The game will work on the next boot.

Anyway Invisible War was the game that gave us consolised games, games that are ham strung by being made for console. There's a lot of concessions made here that negatively affect the game compared to the original. The levels are tiny and there's a huge amount of streamlining such as having universal ammo. Some of it though is for the better. You've to make harsh choices in your biomods which is very interesting and it's nice that keycodes are entered automatically.

The biggest issue with the game is that it's constantly compared to the first game. While it doesn't live up to it taken on its own terms it's a really great immersive sim. There's plenty of deus ex style choices and multiple ways to approach challenges and the quests seem really fun. Once you get out of the pretty lame tutorial section it becomes a lot of fun.

The graphics have aged a lot but it has that stencil shadow look that was pioneered by Doom 3 which I still think is very effective and a damn sight better than the more accurate real time shadows that render in massive macro blocks we had to put up with until recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Even without mods I remember it looking pretty decent with modern resolutions. Games of the early/mid 2000s can hold up fairly well on PC if there's not too much going on texture wise.

I just missed the original two on sale, think it was something like €4.50 for them back up to €15 now. Never cared too much for them when I played them so I'd like to give them a shot.

Likewise with 3, I liked it when I first played it but it didn't stand out and wasn't memorable. When I revisited it last year on 360 I really enjoyed it, currently playing through it again on my Steam Deck and still really liking it. I know it's not as well received as the first two but I enjoy it for what it is and it makes me want to revisit the originals.

Have them on PS2 but from what I recall the controls are clunky and they don't run too well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

They're often on sale, and given their age, it's worth holding out for a sale price. I did play through 3 closer to release, can't really remember much of it tbh but I'd like to have another go at it at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

New C64 & Speccy roms.

Examples, C64 - Lester, Zuma [Balls Like a Frog], etc.

Examples, Zx - Super Bomberman 2 Remix, Ganimedes, etc.

8-bit bliss!

:-)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The Spanish and the former Soviet Union are the MVPs when it comes to ZX Spectrum games, some of the stuff they continue to churn out is incredible.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Can someone please explain how that speccy game has actual good music?

I believe it is running on the 128k Speccy, so the console can do more than modulate beeps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Yup, the 128k(s) had a AY-3-8912 sound chip which was also used in the Amstrad CPC to the MSX.

Most remember playing games on the 128k, games like the Dizzy series - the 48k game loading period would past and you then have to wait for the music elements to load :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The Switch reminds me of the Speccy. PS5/Series X is Commodores 64. Devs have to work miracles to port stuff to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Spectrum nerds grinding their teeth everywhere at the use of the word console :pac:

Speccy being a Switch fair enough but the breadbin a PS5? Harrumph.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Back to… Chrono Trigger. I’m on the endgame side quests and underequipped with fire gear for Rust Tyrano. Dammit, I remember now why I stopped playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

If you are using a switch for anything other than indie and nintendo games you are doing it wrong.

The analogy doesn't really work either, the Switch is just underpowered.

On the other hand the C64 had fancy graphical hardware that let it push sprites and do scrolling which is why the game looked better. The Spectrum on the other hand had a much beefier CPU but bugger all graphical hardware. I meant it couldn't do sprites and had to brute force that stuff. But it meant 3D and processor intensive games ran better and most games ran smoothly despite the jank. I think the Megadrive and SNES are a better comparison.

Master of the Universe

Before the vanilla update on boards, there was a pacman emoticon. :pac: is how you would get him to appear.

We lost him in the recent update.

Swear to god, aside from all the numerous other issues with Vanilla, that was the one that almost pushed me over the edge!

Managed to do it despite being short on fire resist. Used Haste a lot on Chrono to spam his big damage and Frog's Sword Strike was good too. Also used Barrier consumables to take the edge off Tyrano's Fire.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Good man! Definitely a game worth sticking with. Is it your first playthrough?

That's one of the first games I ever truly bought as a 'rare retro' game, think it was also one of the first things I ever bought from the US on ebay too. Must be about 20 years ago now, in fact it's been so long the replacement save battery has died in it for a second time in it's life 😁

This is the furthest I've ever got on play throughs that go back to ZSNES through to the Nintendo DS version, where I got to The Fated Hour as well.

I got the US version from VideoGameImports for maybe £80 over 15 years ago and didn't get around to it until the height of the pandemic before my son way born.

I'm picking up that play through now and it looks like I've done half the side quests now!

I'd better check the voltage on the battery. I dunno if it's ever been replaced!

There's a whole bunch of games like this for me. I only finished Metroid Prime last year having got to Ridley in 2002 and I have yet to do the final part of Skies of Arcadia. It's a blast revisiting them now. I was a crap and much less patient gamer back then.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I was the same for years and years, so many games left unfinished near the end! I did something similar a few years ago and went back to either finish off a lot of the big hitters I hadn't completed, or just restarted them again and played the whole way through.

Finally finished Metroid Prime on the WiiU rerelease of Trilogy 2-3 years ago. Did something similar around that time with Windwaker too actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Anyone know how the DS version holds up to the SNES ? I fluked an underpriced version of it for DS but because its such a classic apparently, I want to play it on the best system for it.

Master of the Universe

I think the DS version has some extras towards the end but it's the same game otherwise.

Funnily enough I bought that game cheap on release and kept it sealed as I had a feeling it was going to be worth a few quid.

Of course, I now cannot figure out where it is 😁

• Advertisement

It’s great. Having the menus on the bottom screen worked really well and the translation was apparently improved.

It also includes the PS FMV.

It's an excellent. They took on all the criticism of the gba FF games and went all out on the DS port. It's pretty much a perfect ports, even the music sounds spot on. There's a few rows of pixels missing due to the resolution but it's not noticable really.

They also added in a new dungeon which was meant to be in the final release, the music track was left on the snes cartridge. It's nice to have but it's kind of a slog unfortunately.

I'm really enjoying Deus Ex Invisibile War. Once you forget that it's a sequel to arguably the best game ever made and start taking it for it's own game there's a lot here to enjoy. I've one big issue though which is related to the game's console roots. I've finished the first major area of the game and with the Biomods I have I'm quite powerful and usually have an excess of multitools and bio energy to perform all tasks. I remember the original Deus Ex had a much steeper upgrade path where you were always on the verge of having an ability that would make your current situation much more comfortable (Etrian Odyssey also pulls this balance off nicely). The only big trade off I've had to make was to sacrifice my cloaking ability for hacking but hacking is just way more fun and the stealth is too janky in this game to make non lethal viable on a first playthrough.

As one of those Speccy nerds I am currently very annoyed with myself and will probably not be talking to him for some time to come.

I see that Star Fox just turned 30. The latest thing to make me feel old.

In work sometimes I talk games with my team and often they haven’t played games because they hadn’t been born yet!

Anyway, I’ll put on Star Fox at lunch today!!

Post edited by Colonel Panic on

Master of the Universe

30 years old! that's hard to believe alright.

Nobody I knew back then actually owned it but we rented it out a lot. It's a great rental game really, straight into the action from the moment you press start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Slippy is down

The releases were mad back then. Wasnt released until June here. February in Japan.

Megadrive owners had to wait until Virtua Racing for something that came close.

Master of the Universe

And then when it came out it was £75!

I remember picking up a copy in the videogame section that used to be in the back of Quinnsworth Bray and my eyes nearly popped out of my head.

Edit - just ran that through an inflation calculator

£75 in 1994 was worth about €153.57 in 2021.

• Advertisement
Advertisement