Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I completely forgot about that 3DS Shinobi game. Bought it on release and thought it was great.

Speaking of handheld ninja action, anyone remember Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword? I loved that when it came out. Making such a fluid ninja action game using stylus controls really was quite something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep, Dragon Sword was a little gem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Another one for my DS collection then. Luckily it was only 12 euro in CEX just there.

Master of the Universe

Excellent, yeah when I remembered it I decided to look it up on ebay expecting it to go for a pretty penny but it looks to be nice and cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Shame the same can't be said about 3DS - Shinobi. Anytime I see recommendations from the folks on here, I make a point of trying to pick them up. That one was about 15-20 last summer.. now up to 35ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Pocket Card Jockey on the 3DS might be the thing that finally costs me my sanity. Its addictiveness is one thing, but having to re-do and re-raise an entire run for the 1 race you're missing is a diabolical bit of game design. And that's before we get into the absolute can of worms that is the breeding mechanic. I guess I should've known Game Freak would fart out something this unexpectedly complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

Less horses and more biplane, been playing flying shark by taito. Reminds you a lot of the raiden games. Difficulty really ramps up in the last couple of levels and you need to use the smart bombs to cancel out enemy shots. Fun game!

A nice little detail I noticed, if you clip the wings of enemy planes they end up crashing, and can end up taking out other enemies on the ground.

One more go this evening to beat it and then shinobi and the evil neo-zeed empire.

Got another vertical screen orientation game instead of shinobi because laziness. Strange one here, sega's angel kids. It's quite good but what's making it very difficult is that the joysticks are swapped (twin stick game), confusing! Left is right and right is left.

I had a look at the dipswitchs on the board and they still have the original seal over them, and besides that there's no dipswitch info online, no manual that I could find either. There are 4 soundpots on the pcb, 1 for music, 1 for sound effects, and the other two are a mystery.

Balloons are the worst enemy so far but I'll stick at it until I can beat it or lose my mind. Blasting through these games now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

You need to clean up the Jamma edge before if wrecks your harness connector - its nasty..

Yeah it's something special, I'll see about getting some desoldering braid

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Love that game, I imported the Megadrive port from Japan and it is fantastic.

I know I could just run it from an Everdrive, but there's something very nice about having the original cart.

Master of the Universe

Always find it interesting how many shmups of that era have Raiden vibes, it really did influence a lot of titles at the time.

I spent a couple of hours last night playing through IREM M92 games on MiSTer. I can never get over the level of detail in Gunforce 2/Geostorm and In The Hunt. So many little things you wouldn't even notice unless you looked closely. It's actually horrendously distracting if you're actually trying to play the games properly! (maybe that was a credit feeding ploy to make more money, distract them with detail!)

Picture on both looks absolutely gorgeous.

Yeah it's very good, looped the game at area 121 and packed it in, that last part is ridiculous but I suppose that's why its the last part!

Actually I think you mean fire shark and not flying shark, also not to be confused with the cooking simulator frying shark

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dolphins

Master of the Universe

Part of me always hoped that mistranslation was half on purpose.

Looks good! Irem really pumped out a lot of great games, it's very easy to tell them apart from the art style like undercover cops, metal slug, in the hunt.

I was looking into getting that irem m72 multi board but it seems to be only available in the states. 225 dollars as an add on, it's not the worst, but the potential customs and all that puts me off.

Master of the Universe

225 dollars isn't bad at all but yeah you'd then be murdered on shipping and import duties :(

Just looking through the M72 games list, Armed Police Unit Gallop (what a name!) is one I haven't heard of before, looks to have that 'dirty detailed' sprite look that a lot of the other Irem games have.

Armed Police Unit Gallop is *chefs kiss* good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You are absolutely right.

I have just learned it's included in the M2 Shotriggers port of Fire Shark for the PS4, which I have somewhere.

I'll be playing it later!

Battletoads is still making my life miserable.

Had a good run last night. Got through the turbo tunnel first time. Lost only a life on the stupid jump in the ice stage. Only died once on the snakes. The fire tunnel I died twice.

So I got to the Intruder Excluder stage with plenty of lives and then proceeded to lose most of them. I did however make it to the top with 3 lives left and.... there's a poxy boss up there. Boss wiped me out.

Now to get something off my chest. Battletoads gives the played 5 hit points but I'm wondering why they bothered when near everything in the game including most bosses kill you in one hit.

Anyway I made it back to the boss on my next continue and had his pattern down.

The next stage are these water tunnels full of dick move level design. You've to first contend with robots that instant kill you if you get too close. Then you have to run away from gears which is infuriating when you don't know their pattern yet. The last area is a swimming section with really annoying enemies. There's also parts where you float up or down using little copter things but you are so close to the bottom/top of the screen it's impossible to react to the hazards. Managed to fluke my way through this after losing 2 continues. There's a few lives here at least and I got to the last section with 2 lives left. I died so much here but there's mercifully a 1 up you can keep collecting so I made it through.

Then I got to the rat race area.... christ. The first two rat races are fine. The last one however I only had one shot at it and despite me thinking I did ok the rat was so far ahead of me I had no chance. Not looking forward to playing it again.

Anyway if I ever beat that stage I've the whirly gig area which is meant to be extremely hard on a NES but near impossible on a modern display because of lag. I'll have to calibrate the lag compensation for that. And then a vertical shaft area that makes the Intruder Excluder looking like 1-1 in Super Mario Bros.

Master of the Universe

At some point it really becomes more of a masochistic journey than just playing a videogame, that sounds mental!

It's actually not a bad game, just infuriating when played in a modern context. Had this been young retr0gamer who had a NES and this was one of the few games he owned I'd have lapped this up and loved it. Battletoads is almost great, there's just way too many moments where the game will kill you if you if you don't know what is up ahead as it gives you no time to react in many cases. Shame as it plays well and there's good variety in the levels. It looks incredible as well, the intro even has true sprite scaling which is mental on a NES.

Eat **** battletoads! I managed to beat it!

The last few stages are tough.

The Rat Race in particular is absolute nonsense. The issue is on the last rat if you aren't absolutely perfect he can get ahead of you and the moving floors won't spawn for him and he just clips right on through. It means you can be on a great run and yet it will feel impossible to catch up with him.

But that's not the worst part. If you get too far ahead and get to the end before he does you can soft lock the game. You are stuck there and there's no way of continuing as there's no time limit. This actually happened to me on this run but I just said **** that, I used the emulators rewind feature to get out of it. **** that.

After that is clinger winger. You are being chased by a plasma ball awhile you ride a one wheeled machine. You have to hold in the direction of the surface you are moving on as it makes 90 degree turns.

This one when I got to it first time I made a save state and practiced so I guess that's cheating. It's actually not that bad once you get it but this would have driven me insane to play over an hour of the game to get here and have a few goes to understand it.

Basically for anyone that wants to try this game, if you press the wrong direction before you hit the change in surface you slow right down. The actual way to beat this is to not change direction until you hit the actual surface. You end up losing way less time than pressing the button too soon.

The last stage is a very tough platforming section. It's very difficult but surprisingly fair. The last boss as well is surprisingly fair.

The game is pretty mean near the end with three of the hardest stages, intruder excluder, Rat Race and Clinger Winger ending in boss battles that can hemorrhage your lives if they get out of hand. Clinger winger in particular is pure nonsense.

I really don't think I could have beaten this without the you can beat videogame youtube series. It really helped a lot as I wasn't going in blind to most situations even if the execution was still tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

Is it possible these days to beat/ fully enjoy these games without save states? I'm finding myself playing more on virtual console rather than original catrs.

• Advertisement

Yes definitely. You just have to accept that you aren't going to beat these games first time and it's going to take a lot of repetition to get good at them. But each time you get play the games you get better. I mean while I was struggling with the last stages of this game I was getting to the point where I was able to rack up insane amounts of one ups from stage 2 and beat the turbo tunnel with ease. Battletoads would be on the upper level of NES difficulty but I find the easier 8-bit and 16-bit games are still a joy to beat. There's also the satisfaction you get from beating a genuinely challenging game that new modern triple A games outside of Souls games can't deliver. I will reiterate how helpful 'U can Beat Video Games' is for attempting these games.

However if you are happy using save states then enjoy the games how you see fit. As I said I used save states myself in this playthrough. While I didn't use them to create checkpoints I did use them to practice tough parts of the game that take well over an hour to reach.

I thought I was doing well on shinobi until I found out you can't use a continue once you reach level 5.

That'll be a tough nut to crack.

I prefer it over shadow dancer though, just seems fairer and tighter control. This music track will be stuck in my head for a week from dying over and over

I hate games that do that. I remember aero fighters 2 did similar. And then there's that era of Konami games that only let you continue a set number of times like super Contra and Asterix.

Started Knightmare on the MSX. Tough game as you only get 3 lives and it's a very tough game but I'm using save states every time I die as of you beat a stage you can find a hidden item then next time you play that lets you skip forward to the next stage. So far ive only reach stage 3 of 8. Banjo guy Ollie was a big fan of this one and I can see why.

Also started starfox. Beat the easy route. I never finished this game on the other two routes.

I've decided Super Monkey Ball 3D takes way too much flack for having the audacity to do more of the same with entirely optional motion controls. It's just as playable as any other entry in the series.

Post edited by Mr.Saturn on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I’m playing through Metroid Prime 2. Boost Guardian stopped me in 2004. Nothing will this time, including the Spider Guardian where I am at the moment.

I’ve got it figured out now, but the part where you need to trigger 3 switches is tough. Keeping the boss stunned to reset the timeout on the switches needs a bit of messing about.

Great game though, love the light/dark traversal and the area and music are great! Sky Sanctuary in particular is just such a great area.

Having a nightmare with, eh, knightmare's third stage.

The game really ramps up the difficulty in this stage and I was struggling with it. Got to the boss who seemed handy enough. My shield was working very effectively at blocking the bosses projectiles until I discovered a new mechanic, the shield only lasts a few shots. Once that was gone I panicked and disaster struck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Managed to defeat the Spider Guardian easily enough in the end. Then I was faced with the “where now?” dilemma. I’m glad I kept some notes telling me “spider ball here” for a room on Torvus Bog.

This is the problem with games like this and limited playtime. I had to give up on Elden Ring for this reason. I’m not sure what I’ll do when the new Zelda shows up.

After getting really pissed off with stage three of Knightmare yet again I started up what I thought was a quick go of Contra on the MSX before bed. This is a very different game to the arcade or NES game. You mercifully have a lifebar in this game. The game is also very good at dishing out extra lives. The levels follow the arcade quite closely but the layouts are very different. Since the MSX2 has issues with scrolling the game is a flip screen game and has been totally redesigned to accommodate this.

As a result of all these changes its a very different game. The sprites and backgrounds are more colourful than the NES game but the level design is not as good with less dynamic elements and enemy variety. When you pick up a gun icon it opens a menu and lets you select your weapon. They're all kind of useless other than the machinegun, no spreadgun in this version.

Anyway I got all the way up to the alien heart which is the last boss without much difficulty in all other versions. However the game then continues and is over twice as long. 19 Stages in total. I beat the game first time quite handily but it took way longer than I was planning for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I am knee deep in Thief 3 (Deadly Shadows). These games really are a gem and would highly recommend - the use of light, sound, strategy, the enemies unique with their own personality. The first three games haven't been matched in years.

Finally got to stage 4 in knightmare. This game is so difficult. It's actually insane how many sprites and bullets Konami got the Msx to push. Also how they managed to make bosses so tough. There's only a few bullets on screen but they are tougher than most bullet hell bosses.

Anyway I decided on a new strategy. Stage 1 has an extra life so if I get that and beat then take the warp in stage 2 I'll have a better chance. Turns outs later in stage 1 there's another warp this time to stage 3. So I can get the extra life and then skip to stage 3.

Now I've got to find the exit to stage 4 but also face the horrors of this new area.

I enjoyed them at the time, including the original I played on the PC, Looking Glass made it and they were a bananas good studio at the time, they also made the superb Flight Unlimited titles

They still hold up. For me they are the best stealth games although I feel thief 1 and 2 are way better than 3.

Wario: Master of Disguise is every bit the disappointing mediocrity you’ve been warned about. No idea what happened as the developer they farmed it off to was actually pretty reputed. No gonna bother struggling through it anymore.

I had a whole piece typed and my awful work internet connection murdered it and buried the body!

In short, the series was away ahead of it's time, certainly the sense of the environment being a character in the game, if not an extension of yourself, was quite potent, something that Dark Souls became renowned for later on.

And, as result of the above discussion I went and bought the whole franchise on Steam for €5.50!

Now, to think about wrestling them onto the Steam Deck when I get home!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Thief is one of those franchises I've been meaning to play since it was released but for whatever reason, never gave any of them a go.

€5.50 for the whole lot on Steam is hard to pass up.

I miss looking glass.

Me too,

My PC gaming days in the 90s had their stuff front and centre.

I recall their stuff being well optimised too.

This is from 1995!

This is only two years later, in 97

Beat the medium route of the original starfox. I really don't think I played anything other than the easy route before as this was all new to me. The game definitely ups the difficulty here with some really difficult bosses and stages. Took me a while to figure out the stage with the space/aquatic life and that you were meant to not shoot the innocent creatures! There's also some really interesting looking levels in this route. The boss of Titania reminded me of the water boss in Panzer Dragoon Zwei, and the highway stage in venom was an interesting change of scenery.

Kind of looking forward to the hard route but I've a feeling it's going to break me.

Starfox 64 was great, but they seemed to lock the best levels, much like the one you describe, later in the game.

The opening level is the most "Green Hills Zone" of all, only later with the extreme environments and running the tank about as well as the other craft did it get to awesome proportions.

Master of the Universe

I was always a bit conflicted on the Starfox route system.

It's a great way to get you to up your gameplay and find secrets, but at the same time most people probably didn't see a lot of the alternative routes as on the surface they're fairly pick up and play casual games.

I think some sort of level select with a score/time attack element attached to it would have been a good idea to see more of the games content. kind of like a caravan mode you see in a lot of PCE Shmups.

I remember sometimes having a hankering to play the tank level in Starfox 64 for example but wasn't arsed trying to play up to the stage.

I kind of like it. The game is an hour long and quite exhausting, especially with that framerate. Starfox 64 is longer again. It would be nice to have an option to play all levels back to back but I'd say it would become a real slog by the end. I also really like the branching paths based on objectives in starfox 64, added some mystery and replayability.

Donkey Kong '94 is absurdly good for what it is. Haven't played a puzzle platformer this good since the GBA/WS Klonoas.

Also have FF6, Yakuza 6 and Yokai Watch 2 on the side and all of them are going get cobwebs over them by time I come back from Hyrule.

Much the same, I remember picking it up and playing through the first few levels, entirely happy with a decent port of the classic game and then, BOOM! it just expanded into a cracking puzzler with tons of humour.

• Advertisement

If someone told me it was the best gameboy game ever I wouldn't be able to argue. The GBA sequels have been great but nothing has matched DK '94. Also it's crazy how much that game influenced Mario's 3D games.

Advertisement