Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The game still loses points for the crappy controls and the awful repetitive voice over, although I do remember many magazines reporting the button combinations for the alleged nude cheat, where young lads, with joysticks in hand, feverishly pressed never ending combinations of buttons not knowing it was all a big wind-up, aimed at just those little w*nkers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just found my copy of tomb raider 2 for the pc, I really must give it a go.

Really are great games. I played underworld on the 360 but got pissed of during the first level and didnt play it agian haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I thought the controls would be mangled but they're actually not. Maybe it's just because I played the games so much when I was younger I'm really use to them. I dunno. They feel right for the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

yeah controls have NEVER been Tomb Raider's strong point but I still love playing the PS1 games. I also liked Underworld but the real question is...

and forgive me if i'm not supposed to ask this but regarding earlier...
    if i download an emulator and afew roms, would I then just have two put those files onto an empty memory card, plug into an r4 and be laughing playing earthworm jim on my DS? or do i need to configure anything etc?

Master of the Universe

There's nothing wrong with discussing flash cards and homebrew.
    Emulators are homebrew. So it's fine.

You need to configure the micro sd card. This just involves downloading the firmware and dropping it onto the card. A monkey could do it really. It's very easy.

Also, you'll need an emulator that's specifically designed for the DS. I think PicoDS was the Megadrive one I used.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't bother with Tomb Raider 2. After an excellent first stage the game goes gradually downhill.

Master of the Universe

It's such a shame how much they ruined the franchise after the first game.

I don't particularly remember 2 & 3 very well as I haven't played them since release. But I do remember being very very let down. So much so that I don't think I even bothered playing them through to the end.

Played a bit of Ristar tonight, little bit of Earthworm Jim also and then topped it off with Battletoads. Alright!:cool:

Master of the Universe

Ristar is a really great game. It makes me sad that it went by more or less completely unnoticed :(

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Finally got Soukyugurentai.

Wow.

This is going to be a good Sunday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, it's pretty good, playing a spot of a CPS2 shooter called Progear, made by Cave, published by Capcom and emulated to perfection on my PSP.

Master of the Universe

Progear really looks great on the PSP. Give Mars Matrix a go too. A nice vertical shooter to compliment Progear's horizontal play.

Didn't really like Mars Matrix, too much going on at once, then there's the slow down.
    I rather the Steam Punk stylie of Progear, reminds me of SteamBoy and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

un squadron,i forgot how good that game was in arcades/c64,port i was playing today was the 128k speccy port.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The C64 port of UNsquardron is a bit of a disgrace. The arcade game is alright but the SNES version is by far the best version of that game.

• Advertisement

Yup, the Snes version is great, I remember the ads for the upcoming Snes console in EGM, back in the day, and they had two page ads of UN Squadron, Final Fight and Super R-Type, all looking good, how I wanted one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Think I linked to this before, but would anyone here have any interest in be able to play those really rare games which yea can only find ROMs for on the real SNES hardware? Like Crono Trigger, Secret of Evermore and the like? Is it really worth €140~

Master of the Universe

Way too expensive if you ask me. I bought a Super Famicom and a Magic drive from someone here for €70 in total. You put a game on a floppy disk, put it in the magic drive, few seconds later you're playing it on your Snes.

The only drawback is floppy disk size. Any games over 1.44mb will have to go onto multiple disks.

But at half the price of the Neo Flash cart I'm not complaining.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Started playing God of War about 2 weeks back, I've had it ages but never tried it out for anything more than the first level but now I'm getting into it. Excellent game, get's really intense with all the monsters coming at you. Ultra Violence!

Master of the Universe

I played the first, thought it was brilliant but never bothered with the second.

Hmm..must go back to that.

Anyway..back to FF XIII :pac:

• Advertisement

The second God Of War is easily better than the first, if anything it's even more specatular.
    I have the PS2 and the PS3 collection of them both, really good fun the two.

Master of the Universe

I must look out for it so. Can't see it being too expensive.

In other news, I thought Under Defeat looked nice through RGB Scart. My Dreamcast VGA box came today. Holy fook..!

Dreamcast + VGA box + Under Defeat + Ikaruga + vertical LCD monitor = The greatest thing on earth. Really. It's so much fun. All monitors should be vertical! I just wish Raiden 2 was released on it.

Sadly I think my Dreamcast arcade stick might have been lost in the post :(

Also got a Saturn Action replay along with a UK copy of Gradius 2. Works on my Jap console perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Den85

Currently playing Project EDEN on the PS2. It's a great little gem that I'm surprised passed me by when it came out. Great puzzle based adventure whereby you control four different characters in a squad. Loving it!

Played God of War for a bit this evening, then broke out the Light Gun for Virtua Cop on the PS2 and House of the Dead for Dreamcast and then decided to break out my Steering Wheel and play Gran Tourismo 2. Ah I wish Sunday would never end :/

Hmmm, must break out the Virtua Cop and VC 2 while I still have a CRT to play them on!
    Confidential Mission is pretty cool on the DC as well, very VC.
    I have House of the Dead as well somewhere, not near as polished as the DC and Xbox sequels but great never the less.
    I always preferred the Sega light gun titles to Sonys output, I never saw the attraction in Point Blank and Time Crisis.

Now that I think of it, it'd be cool to see Virtua Cop and maybe Silent Scope on the DS, especially SS, the lower screen as the sights, nice!

Master of the Universe

Well I suppose there's a bit of a difference as HOTD is first party where as Time Crisis and Point Blank are third.

I always preferred the Time Crisis play mechanics. Being able to duck and reload makes the game feel more involving than your standard rail shooter. Although it does have the major downside of limiting you to 1 player games per screen. (And no dual light gun action)

That reminds me, I need to pick up light guns for the Saturn and DC.

Spent some time this evening playing my second Gamegear. It also has the all too common old capacitor problem. Seems it's a design fault. Can't see the screen straight on (You have to angle it a bit). It runs okay if left to warm up for a while. No sound out of the speaker but the headphone jack works. Bloody annoying though. There are cap kits for it on ebay. Might give it a go.

I find the Sega lightgun games have more replay. They can be quite deep and if you are into getting high scores you can get a lot more out of them by exploiting the play mechanics.

I really liked Time Crisis but my interest in the series got less and less with each sequel. The first one I liked because I could one credit it if the arcade dipswitches for the time weren't set to a ridiculously high difficulty.

I think I have had that problem with both of the Game Gear's I owned but the speakers were fine. I reckon your right about HOTD and Time Crisis O1s1n, that sums up how I feel about the games. I have a Mad Catz light gun for the DC and it's good, I recommend one of those if your looking, might be a bit expensive for Sega's light gun because it's, well it's Sega.

Master of the Universe

Augmerson wrote: »
    I think I have had that problem with both of the Game Gear's I owned but the speakers were fine. I reckon your right about HOTD and Time Crisis O1s1n, that sums up how I feel about the games. I have a Mad Catz light gun for the DC and it's good, I recommend one of those if your looking, might be a bit expensive for Sega's light gun because it's, well it's Sega.

The capacitors that control the speakers are different to the ones that control the screen. So maybe your main caps went but the speaker ones were fine..they'll all go in the end though :( Tis a right pain. I'm starting to get worried the same might happen with my Nomad.

Might use one of the Gamegears as a test subject to see if I can change the caps.

Dreamcast light guns are suprisingly expensive on ebay alright. Will see if I can find a Mad Catz one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Managed to finally clear Rastan. It's bloody cruel that way it won't let you continue if you lose all your lives on the last level, bastards:mad:

Currently playing Viking, Battle for Asgard on the Xbox 360. It has it's flaws but it's really fun once you get into it.

• Advertisement

Perfect Dark HD is awesome on XBLA, really really good, super smooth, your choice of Halo or COD controls, as well as an original setup, visuals are nice and sharp and the game is huge, not to mention the presence of the Goldeneye maps in multiplayer! And you can play them over XBLA, nice!

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    not to mention the presence of the Goldeneye maps in multiplayer! And you can play them over XBLA, nice!

That was a nice touch!

The Goldeneye maps and weapons were always in Perfect Dark.

Master of the Universe

Awh, here was me thinking they actually put some effort into a download :(

Does it matter?
    I mean, really?

The presence of the maps was initally a cause of some delight, was this because you thought the company handling the conversion had put some extra effort in or simply that they were there?

For me it would be enough to know they are there, I mean Ninty could just as easily insisted that they be stripped out for the XBLA release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Having never played the original I decided to give the demo a go. It was alright, nothing special IMO. I guess it's one of those "had to be there" things.

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Does it matter?
    I mean, really?

The presence of the maps was initally a cause of some delight, was this because you thought the company handling the conversion had put some extra effort in or simply that they were there?

For me it would be enough to know they are there, I mean Ninty could just as easily insisted that they be stripped out for the XBLA release.

My excitement was nothing to do with it being Perfect Dark or Goldeneye. It was that I thought they had added something extra to an old game. This would have been a very interesting development as it could have meant other such additions to games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I always thought there were only a couple of goldeneye maps in the original perfect dark, did they add more in? Me and my friends played 4-player PD every day for months on my old 19-inch CRT...a muddy, slow mess, but definitely the most fun I ever had gaming. Used to play a version of clay-pigeon shooting on the map with all the bridges in the middle, using the slow-mo setting: the target would jump off a bridge and the person who killed them on the way down would be the pigeon in the next round..can't wait to try out the remake online

I'd love to join you guys in a game of Perfect Dark but my account balance is 710points... so close yet so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

o1s1n wrote: »
    Dreamcast light guns are suprisingly expensive on ebay alright. Will see if I can find a Mad Catz one.

There's a guy on adverts selling HotD2 and 2 guns (one official, one MadCatz) for €20 - pretty good price I would have thought.

Master of the Universe

/edit - Nice one! Thanks for the tip off. Just offered asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

I see you found it!

Master of the Universe

I was never one to pass on a good deal.

It's my downfall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Just started a new Metal Gear Solid marathon. Playing the original at the moment, then will move through the series (although may skip 2 - I played it about eight or nine months ago and whilst I enjoyed it a lot more than I did the first time I played it, I'm not sure I'm up for another playthrough so soon).

Master of the Universe

Does the original hold up well? I haven't actually played it in about ten years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I actually think it really does. In fact I was actually marvelling at the graphics the other day. Yeah, they're primative, but they're also so sophisticated for the time.

The controls and camera are both clunky, but they felt that way when the game came out. That's not an aging issue.

I still love the storyline. I'm only about a third of the way in this time, but I can't wait to play the Sniper Wolf fight, as well as the battle with the Hind D.

MGS is still well worth a play through and still miles better than Twin Snakes. You'll notice how creaky it looks now but that'sno bad thing because you can notice how they cut corners with the PS1 technology and managed to squeeze such a good looking game of the creaking technology with good art and resource management. Better than MGS 4, that's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭osprey

Desert Strike - Return to the Gulf on MD - harder, MUCH harder, than I remember!

Master of the Universe

osprey wrote: »
    Desert Strike - Return to the Gulf on MD - harder, MUCH harder, than I remember!

Half the time I played that game I didn't even bother with the missions. Just flew around blowing **** up. Was more fun in Jungle Strike though. Loved blowing the crap out of the White House :D

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    MGS is still well worth a play through and still miles better than Twin Snakes. You'll notice how creaky it looks now but that'sno bad thing because you can notice how they cut corners with the PS1 technology and managed to squeeze such a good looking game of the creaking technology with good art and resource management. Better than MGS 4, that's for sure!

I didn't think the PS was considered "creaking technology" back in '98.
    By then it was really getting into the swing, Resident Evil 2, Gran Turismo, Tekken 3, Final Fantasy VII got a euro release, so plenty of potential in the PS in that year, with thre release of the PS2 still a couple of years away and the PS easily capable of dealing with the Dreamcast the following year.

We still had several more Resident Evil games, GT2 and FFVIII to come on the PS, not to mention Silent Hill, Tony Hawks, RRtype4, Driver, Medal of Honor, so there was lots more to come, and nothing to compete on any other format, bar perhaps the PC.

Don't really know how you can prefer MGS over Twin Snakes, given that the latter is the same game, but with better graphics and added gameplay.
    The only things I miss are the visual nostalgia and the controller.

• Advertisement
Advertisement