Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I didn't think the PS was considered "creaking technology" back in '98.
    By then it was really getting into the swing, Resident Evil 2, Gran Turismo, Tekken 3, Final Fantasy VII got a euro release, so plenty of potential in the PS in that year, with thre release of the PS2 still a couple of years away and the PS easily capable of dealing with the Dreamcast the following year.

We still had several more Resident Evil games, GT2 and FFVIII to come on the PS, not to mention Silent Hill, Tony Hawks, RRtype4, Driver, Medal of Honor, so there was lots more to come, and nothing to compete on any other format, bar perhaps the PC.

Don't.

You've just made me realize how much I miss that era of gaming. They really were exciting times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I didn't think the PS was considered "creaking technology" back in '98.

Well I mean compared to now it's creaking technology. I just found it fascinating how they squeezed so much out of the system and MGS is a good place to see how they did it. And in 1998 the PS1 really was gettig creaky if you had a PC as well. It was way ahead of it with graphics acceleration. 1998 had some stunning looking PC games like Half-life and the awful but impressive looking unreal. You can't fault the games on the PS1 at the time though.
    Don't really know how you can prefer MGS over Twin Snakes, given that the latter is the same game, but with better graphics and added gameplay.
    The only things I miss are the visual nostalgia and the controller.

It's actually very easy to hate it because it's a much worse game. The first person aiming breaks the game by making it too easy especially some of the boss fights, specifically the ninja, vulcan raven and revolver ocelot. Also the cutscenes are out and out retarded. They are so over the top it's embarassing. The original was more subtle and didn't seem stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

MGS, Resident Evil, Tekken 3, Gran Turismo on CFW PSP

Super Mario Bros, Smash TV, Prince of Persia, Digger T Rock on NesDs for Nintendo DS

Handheld Retro gaming! Sweet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's actually very easy to hate it because it's a much worse game. The first person aiming breaks the game by making it too easy especially some of the boss fights, specifically the ninja, vulcan raven and revolver ocelot. Also the cutscenes are out and out retarded. They are so over the top it's embarassing. The original was more subtle and didn't seem stupid.

There is a part when your fighting the Hind D when Snake jumps onto a missile fired at him. That was a bit much. They should have done more with the game, all it really is is updated graphics and the AI from MGS Sons of Liberty I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

When I got the game My friend called over to have a look at it. I had just gotten to the Hind D part and when my friend saw it he just stood there gobsmacked and said 'that is the stupidest thing I've ever seen in my life'. It's definitely the worst offender but there's plenty of other similarly retarded moments in the cutscenes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No, the worst, the absolute worst thing to emerge onto the PS in 98 was the shockingly awful F1'98.
    That game sucked like nothing had ever sucked before, the hopes were so high after the frankly better than we ever deserved F1'97 and then the rep delivered F1'98 to Gameworld on liffey st.
    I eagerly popped open the PS pod, loaded the disk and awaited further Formula 1 bliss...

And instead was treated to a face full of sh1te!

Unbeliveable trip that game, and I don't think the brand, during Sonys days holding the licence, ever recovered.
    And the aforementioned licence mean't that no one else could have a go at making a better one, so we were stuck with that rubbish instead, or downloaded unofficial textures and teams for Geoff Crammonds F1 game on the PC that shat all over F198.

Codemasters were producing superior track day experiences on the PS then, with the Toca series, it's a pity they didn't get the F1 licence then, we could have been spared the single format tripe Sony have been forcing on us for over 10 years!

Master of the Universe

Augmerson wrote: »
    There is a part when your fighting the Hind D when Snake jumps onto a missile fired at him. That was a bit much. They should have done more with the game, all it really is is updated graphics and the AI from MGS Sons of Liberty I think.

It's an annoying habit of Japanese games and film. They get it so right, and then it's ruined with 'this is absolutey ridiculous' moments.

'Cool, a kick ass fight!'

/Characters start running along tree tops.

'this is absolutey ridiculous'

That was pretty much my whole experience of Metal Gear Solid 2.

Whatever you do don't play MGS4 then!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I liked MGS4, don't know why, but I liked it, for all the reasons I didn't like other ones, the interminably long cut scenes in it were well made and compelling to watch, I liked that it didn't demand stealth to let you move through the game, the controls were great as well.
    All in all not a conventional war game, for that we had Killzone 2, COD4 and their ilk, but somehow it was something special.
    I don't really play SuperSmashBrosBrawl but my son and nieces do and I caught them playing a game of it last week and to my surprise the level was based on MGS4, with the semi organic legged walking mini-gears stomping and jumping around a warzone in the background, awesome!
    How interesting would a Wii Metal Gear game be? Back on Nintendo where the series was born!

How interesting would a Wii Metal Gear game be? Back on Nintendo where the series was born!

It was out on the MSX first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

the msx versions where awesome,i wept with joy when they where translated,and of course word and name gets around,snatcher+metal gear msx goes for mad prices on ebay!

Augmerson wrote: »
    It was out on the MSX first.

The NES games were also utter, utter unplayable ****e, very different to the MSX games. I'd recommend the MSX games to anyone, they are really good especially Solid Snake. Metal Gear Solid is actually a tiny veiled remake of solid snake.

I want to play games tonight but I'm so tired, just finished a 12 1/5 hours at work and played Demon's Souls til 1:30 last night, eyes sore, want to eat then sleep!
    Might play just a little bit more Demon's Souls though, just a little, finished off the main demon yesterday, want to get past the pesky dragons, whats all this white/black business?

Master of the Universe

Spent a while this evening playing Time Crisis with my new fancy Japanese Gcon45 (Had actually forgotten I'd bought it!)

Still a great game. The voice acting is absolutely hilarious. I knew it was cheesy but wah, not THAT cheesy. Half the things people say don't even make any sense.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Spent a while this evening playing Time Crisis with my new fancy Japanese Gcon45 (Had actually forgotten I'd bought it!)

Still a great game. The voice acting is absolutely hilarious. I knew it was cheesy but wah, not THAT cheesy. Half the things people say don't even make any sense.

Yeah, do you remember the young woman shouting "No Don't Come!" lol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

loved it in the arcade with its gun recoil,used to have the big box and all for it..

I don't have a Guncon!
    Must remedy this as soon as possible!

but aside from Time Crisis and Point Blank, what else is there of note for the gun?
    The resi game sucked didn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ive become addicted again to the original street fighter off the snes downloaded to the xbox 360 classic game.

Master of the Universe

I don't have a Guncon!

but aside from Time Crisis and Point Blank, what else is there of note for the gun?

Well it works with the ps2 as well, so you can include games for that.

Time Crisis 1, 2, 3 & Project Titan

Crisis Zone (Kicks ass!)

Virtua Cop: Elite Edition

And then the Point Blank games. There are more alright, I just haven't played them myself. The above does me fine :)

• Advertisement

The first Resident Evil Survivor game isn't even Gun compatiable. Dead Aim is and it's not a bad game but too easy. Gun Survivor 2 isn't that great.

Vampire Night
    Time Crisis 1 & 3
    Crisis Zone
    Virtua Cop 1 & 2
    Point Blank 2

These are all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I don't have a Guncon!

Careful now, GunCom1/2 guns won't work with LCD TVs afaik

Might play just a little bit more Demon's Souls though, just a little, finished off the main demon yesterday, want to get past the pesky dragons, whats all this white/black business?

1-2 is difficult, you might be better off trying 2-1 which is easier and opens up the very important and awesome blacksmith in the level. Also 3-1 will open up some new spells. Start using your blue stone to get yourself summoned as well.

As for the black and white thing, it's complicated so read the demon's souls wiki. It explains it better.

1-2 is difficult, you might be better off trying 2-1 which is easier and opens up the very important and awesome blacksmith in the level. Also 3-1 will open up some new spells. Start using your blue stone to get yourself summoned as well.

As for the black and white thing, it's complicated so read the demon's souls wiki. It explains it better.

Ok, I have no idea what you just said, do you mean that rather than re-entering the first level again I should go to the 2nd stone and head in?
    So complicated yet so good, hmm....

Getting places with HL2:ep2 as well, I love gravity guns and circular saw blades, it's a marriage made in gory, bisected heaven!

Yep there's five levels open to you now.

I was hoping to binge on mass effect and bayonetta but my 360 just RROD'ed. First I get dumped now this. Something better come up retr0 :(

Finished Soul Blazer. It's not a bad game if a little simple but original enough. well worth a play.

I've moved on to Shin Megami Tensei on the SNES. Hopefully I can keep up at it unlike secret of mana.

• Advertisement

Had another crack at Bioshock 2 before retreating to more retro fare, have a need right now to play some Asteroids, and the Vectrex has a rather nice version on it!

No one wanted my Virtual Boy :(
    Not for 250 anyways, ho hum... :(

Master of the Universe

I'd love it but unfortunately don't really have money to be spending at the moment. Can only really stick to cheaper things. Maybe you should look further afield with regards to buyers? Lots of big spenders in Germany/France.

Plus my girlfriend may murder me after buying that stereo equipment. Any more big items and I'll be thrown out of the apartment! :(

Speaking of new things, picked up those two Dreamcast light guns and House of the Dead 2 over the weekend. They're a hell of a lot of fun.

And I thought the voice acting in Time Crisis was bad! This is side splitting stuff. The girls in this one also seem to love saying 'Don't come!'. Oh the hilarity.

How dare you! Goldman has the best voice actor ever!

Master of the Universe

I am not doubting it's sheer awesomeness..just that it is awesome in how bad it is :pac:

It's like someone translated the Japanese word for word without filtering in any kind of sentence structure, loss in translation/meaning to what is being said.

'How could anyone DO this?'

ye wha?!

The voice acting in House of the Dead 2 is on par with Resident Evil for being so bad it's good but the rest of the game is great. I think they meant for it to be corny like a b-movie horror or something.

I haven't played anything for a few days now as I am really getting into 'The Stand' by Stephen King.

• Advertisement

Why do all of Stephen Kings books seem to descend from wonderful opening to soap opera? Tried Under the Dome, his recent one, and it was excruciating, not to mention the lousy ending.
    I think I prefer Clive Barker or HP Lovecraft for my horror kicks.
    Speaking of which, I must start the GC version of Resident Evil again, isn't it a pity they didn't try to add a better control scheme to the Wii re-issue?

So, anyone playing anything particularly retrogroovalicious at the mo?
    I had a spot of Super Mario 3 the other day, not to mention a bit of Super Sprint, love those games, not necessarily any good mind you, but love them.
    RC Pro Am 2 on the NES emu via my flashcard on the GBA is a guilty pleasure, all that gaming goodness on a device the size of a small mobile phone, not to mention the GB/C emu as well, lovely jubbly

Master of the Universe

Got my modded Megadrive back from Enternow so I've been playing lots of 60hz goodness this evening.

Started with SOR 3, then SOR 1 & 2, Probotector, MUSHA, Thunderforce IV, Sub-Terrania, Demolition Man, Alisa Dragoon, Robocop Versus the Terminator, The Revenge of Shinobi, Gunstar Heroes, Space Harrier, Another World (Doesn't like 60hz unfortunately) Vectorman, Megaman: Wiley Wars..yes it was pretty much me putting in random games, and then giggling as I flicked the switch back and forth between 50 and 60hz, wondering how I played slowed down games for so many years.

Still playing the **** out of Shin Megami Tensei on the SNES. I'm amazed that it came out in 1992 because most peopl think that FFIV was the height of videogame storytelling at the time because this game explores themes and has a storyline that really shows up lesser games like FFVII as the bad animes they are. The battle system being a brilliant mix of pokemon and the occult helps as well.

Master of the Universe

Turning into a bit of a Shin Megami Tensei fanboi eh? :p

Are you playing a Fan translation? Or did it see an English snes release?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Gaming all weekend consisted of Doom original on the Laptop/Dos, and a wholelotta Solar Fox on the 2600. Addictive I tells ya!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Turning into a bit of a Shin Megami Tensei fanboi eh? :p

Are you playing a Fan translation? Or did it see an English snes release?

I think I've already turned full fanboy. It really is far and away the best JRPG series out there and really shows up most of the FF series as the bad anime that it is. The only thing that could beat it was if panzer dragoon Saga turned into a series :D Yep it's the fan translation I'm playing.

Master of the Universe

Excellent, I must see if I can get that going on my Snes via the Magic Drive thingy! Never dawned on me that I could use it for fan translations. I'm sure there are a load of them out there I need to get through. Oooh, Clock Tower!

This will get you started:

http://www.romhacking.net/?genre=&platform=&status=A&languageid=12&perpage=50&page=translations&transsearch=Go&title=&author=

Romhacks is a great site for getting info on all the latest translations.

Master of the Universe

This will get you started:

http://www.romhacking.net/?genre=&platform=&status=A&languageid=12&perpage=50&page=translations&transsearch=Go&title=&author=

Romhacks is a great site for getting info on all the latest translations.

Nice one man, thanks for that :)

I split Shin Megami Tensei into two separate files and put one each on a floppy. Booted up perfectly from the Magic drive! I may just abandon FF XIII and start this instead.

That's some sinister opening music by the way. Gave me the willies!

• Advertisement

Be prepared for some hardcore RPGing though. It can be a bit archaic before you understand the system fully. Also playing it on the SNES will be tough since you can't save state. Save points are few and far between and the battle system is tough. You also have to seek out save points and healing churches when you enter a new area. You also should be only using the healing church of the alignment you want to finish the game with.

I posted some thoughts on it here:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055873495

Worth a read before you start into it.

Master of the Universe

Weird, it freezes up the snes when I try to save a game.

Ah well, will give it a bash on the DS.

Cheers for the link, I'll give it a look through alright :)

Are you sure you patched it right and does the magic card thing support battery back up? TBH if you are going to play it on the DS make sure it's a port of the snes9x emulator. Not sure if there is one for the DS. The translation has issues with other emulators. Works great on the wii since it's a snes9x port.

Master of the Universe

It does support SRAM saves yeah. Copies them to a floppy. So there's no need for batteries.

However for some reason when save mode is on, the screen goes black at the very beginning when you're chosing your attributes. The music keeps playing.

It works perfectly when save mode is turned off. No use to me though!

Seeing as you were saying there aren't many save points I'd probably be best going with emulation then.

Will just stick with the laptop so! Think I have a USB pad somewhere.

Hmm... I kind of find it hard to play emulated games on PC. Quick arcade games are fine but I can't seem to dedicate myself to a console RPG! So the Wii for me is great because it's a console. I think it's just a psychological thing.

My advise, save state often, there's no shame in it :D

Woo Hoo, Desert Strike and it's sequels arrived yesterday for the Megadrive, and very lovely they are too!
    Just started Mass Effect 2 as well, very nice indeed.

Master of the Universe

Hmm... I kind of find it hard to play emulated games on PC. Quick arcade games are fine but I can't seem to dedicate myself to a console RPG! So the Wii for me is great because it's a console. I think it's just a psychological thing.

My advise, save state often, there's no shame in it :D

Heh, I'm the complete opposite. If an RPG is on a console I get lazy and don't switch it on. I'm always on my laptop though so will dip in and out of it that way. Plus as you mentioned, save states are a godsend.

On the other hand I hate playing anything arcady on a PC. For a start there's my lack of decent controls. Plus the emulation just never does fast moving visuals as much justice as the original. Yuck!
    Woo Hoo, Desert Strike and it's sequels arrived yesterday for the Megadrive, and very lovely they are too!

One of these days I'll play back through them again. I would imagine they still hold their charm.

Can never remember if I have desert strike on my MD or not! I have Urban strike from launch, have an unboxed Jungle Strike..but Desert? Will have to check when I go home. Fairly sure I do. Hmm.

Desert Strike is still my fave, although the sequels have better animation and levels more populated they do lose something compared to the challenges of Desert Strike, expecially since the missions themselves seem to hold as much nostalgia as the game overall!

Master of the Universe

I've set a gaming challange with my mate. 1ccing Metal Slug. I've decided enough is enough ****ing about and I'm going to dedicate some time to doing it. I'm sick of getting through half the game unscathed and losing it after that.

If I also have someone else spurring me on it'll help. Plus if he can do it too it would be kick ass to see 2player on my AES.

Anyone else care to join us?! :pac:

• Advertisement

I could probably easily 1cc metal slug if it wasn't for that wanker of a miniboss on stage 3 and the last stage and boss being such a bitch. However I have beaten Probotector on hte megadrive so maybe I can give it a try.

Advertisement