Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Mate linked me to a theme song for a retro game on youtube.

I now find myself playing the SNES classic....

BEBE'S KIDS!!!

LOL,jk.

It's Donkey Kong Country =]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Finished PDS last night. Great ending. Something very 2001: A Space Odyssey about it all.

Annoyingly enough, I went to buy Orta and it turns out the PAL version crashes after stage 3 on the 360. :(

Backwards compatible me arse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I finished Kill.Switch the other night so stuck on something else. Played the first level of We Love Katamari. All I can say is that game is very trippy. It's a crazy game but really fun to play. I stuck on Cold Winter after that and forgot how good that game is, it really feels like your watching a spy thriller. The voice acting is so well done, the man who voices Sterling voice sounds like Daniel Craig and the CGI cut-scenes are brilliant. The story as well is really good, Warren Ellis worked on it, so you know your getting something good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Finished PDS last night. Great ending. Something very 2001: A Space Odyssey about it all.

Annoyingly enough, I went to buy Orta and it turns out the PAL version crashes after stage 3 on the 360. :(

Backwards compatible me arse.

Well done. I thought the ending was excellent and wrapped it up nicely. However you should really try and find a way of playing panzer dragoon orta. It really is amazing and wraps up PDS's ambiguous ending brilliantly.

I can also confirm that PDS crashes after Stage 3 despite being 'backwards compatible' on the xbox 360 list.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well done. I thought the ending was excellent and wrapped it up nicely. However you should really try and find a way of playing panzer dragoon orta. It really is amazing and wraps up PDS's ambiguous ending brilliantly.

I'm always really conflicted over ambiguous endings. I love them. I love how they really make you think. I end up spending ages trying to decipher what it all meant.

However, at the same time..I want closure! Going to have to figure out a way of playing Orta just for that alright.

I was reading a bit about Zwei. Were the cgi sections before the last battle in Saga snippits from that game? The character and the baby dragon seemed the same. If it is I can really see how it would be interesting to check that out too.

Thanks for lending it to me anyway. I'll try to get it back to you soon. Can really see why it's your favourite game. Going to hunt down my own copy :)
    I can also confirm that PDS crashes after Stage 3 despite being 'backwards compatible' on the xbox 360 list.

There's one work around, and it's to use a level select cheat..(Or something that allows you to skip through the levels, might have been some bonus thing, I've never played the game). But supposedly you miss all the CGI sequences doing it that way. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm always really conflicted over ambiguous endings. I love them. I love how they really make you think. I end up spending ages trying to decipher what it all meant.

However, at the same time..I want closure! Going to have to figure out a way of playing Orta just for that alright.

Well I usually find ambiguous ends to be more like cop outs when the writers couldn't think of a good ending but I think Saga's was absolutely perfect and very clever. Orta's storyline however is pretty damn clever as well but it's not what you would expect, it's still a bit ambiguous and both happy and yet very depressing. There's really only a minute long cutscene to link both games! I won't go into it for fear of spoiling it.

Saga is pretty damn refreshing though storywise, a great sci-fi story that doesn't follow the tired stereotypes. Interesting fact, I read an article with the translator of PDS. Apparently he didn't know any japanese but from a rough guideline of the story and from watching it people that know japanese say that his transaltion is pretty much spot on :)
    I was reading a bit about Zwei. Were the cgi sections before the last battle in Saga snippits from that game? The character and the baby dragon seemed the same. If it is I can really see how it would be interesting to check that out too.

Zwei is well worth hunting down and it should be really cheap. It's light on story but it's a fantastic game with great music. Yep some of the CG flashbacks you see are from Zwei. Both games were in development at the same time but Zwei was finished about a year and a half ahead of Saga and Saga actually uses the Zwei engine for the battles.
    There's one work around, and it's to use a level select cheat..(Or something that allows you to skip through the levels, might have been some bonus thing, I've never played the game). But supposedly you miss all the CGI sequences doing it that way. :(

Well you have to beat the game to open up the option to pick levels in Orta. The other option is to use a trick and leave the game running for 20 hours to open everything up in pandoras box including the level select. The CGI cutscenes and in engine cutscenes are missing when you use the level select and I find there's some errors in how some of the music plays particularly Ancient Weapon 2, a massive pity because it's probably the best piece of boss music ever written:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Just finishing up on Metal Gear Solid there. I forgot you could use Chaff grenades against Rex and was trying to beat him without!

Playing Advance Wars on the GBA, oh it's a great game. I have to get a crack at Advance Wars DS because I'm almost finished this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Xinkai wrote: »
    Mate linked me to a theme song for a retro game on youtube.

I now find myself playing the SNES classic....

BEBE'S KIDS!!!

LOL,jk.

It's Donkey Kong Country =]

The funny thing about this post is, back in the day, the day of baggy jeans, backwards baseball caps and big big sneakers, I loved Bebes Kids, the movie that is,
    I must of watched it a dozen times, very good, an animation upon which the game is based I suppose.
    I was thinking of it the other day and "downloaded it" from a very disreputable site, and watched it all over again, and it's still great!

I never played the game tie-in so I'll assume it's dung.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

The first GT is still a very playable game. I love it still.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭osprey

Shadow of the beast 2 on my tiring A500 - 'TOUGH' game :eek:
    Shadowofthebeast2.gif

Master of the Universe

And now I cheat on all my old games for the next month or two.

/Boots up Red Dead Redemption for the first time.

Woot!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looking to buying Red Dead Redemption, the original was fantastic fun, and the reviews for this seem uniformly great, must go and decapitate the piggy bank, here piggy piggy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Looking to buying Red Dead Redemption, the original was fantastic fun, and the reviews for this seem uniformly great, must go and decapitate the piggy bank, here piggy piggy!

PiggyBankUnderHammer.jpg

Master of the Universe

Well, I'm 5 hours or so in and it's bloody brilliant! Everyone, smash up those piggy banks and run off to buy a copy this instant.

• Advertisement

Can't buy it now, playing a certain, yet to be released Mario game that shall remain nameless, and I shall remain shameless! It's the cat pyjama's, the dogs nuts, the butterflies doc martens, all these things and more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

been playing crazy taxi, haha forgot how much i loved it.

Crazy Taxi is awesome, I love it a lot too!

Finally started into Silent Hill myself.

Master of the Universe

Silent Hill really is the scariest game ever made...there's something demented about it. I knew I was buying a survival horror game when it was released, but jesus christ. Scared the **** out of me.

It has an eerie vibe to it alright. Just something unsettling about it.

• Advertisement

Silent Hill really is the scariest game ever made...there's something demented about it. I knew I was buying a survival horror game when it was released, but jesus christ. Scared the **** out of me.

Silent Hill 2 is even better. It's the Catcher in the Rye of videogames for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

im really wanting to play a load of games but theres a load of good ones coming up at once for me and im broke so i gotta pick one :mad:

red dead is on the list though along with a load of dreamcast games and ds titles

Silent Hill 2, that bit when you get the torch!
    That game almost made me need new pants, awesome!
    Multiple endings, the one I got made some psychological sense too, oddly.
    It could be some time before we see anything like it again, unless of course the next Super Mario Bros Wii game has some dark and twisted undercurrent,
    I can see it now,
    "It's a-me Mario!"
    "The Pyramid Head a-suit! I got it!"
    Now start trawling through Koopas with a 8 foot sword made of a triangle of rusty iron!

Putting your hand into that hole in the wall was the best use of vibrating controllers since the original MGS1.

Putting your hand into that hole in the wall was the best use of vibrating controllers since the original MGS1.

I'm sure plenty of male teenagers found much more.....satisfying uses for vibrating controllers when they came out.

The Rez Trance vibrator is the best videogame sex toy ever.

trance-vibrator-2.jpg

Eh... Google image search for Rez Trance Vibrator even with safe search on brings up some NSFW images!

Master of the Universe

The Rez Trance vibrator is the best videogame sex toy ever.

Sounds like you're speaking from experience.

STOP GROOMING ME!!!

/rings Chris Hanson

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Master of the Universe

The only problem with buying Rez trance vibrators now is they're all second hand.

/shudder

If there's a bang of stale fish off it it's best to stay away.

• Advertisement

If there's a bang of stale fish off it it's best to stay away.

Haha eww :/

I would suggest taking the casing apart and soaking it in bleach until the bad smells have gone away, however if it starts vibrating of its own accord and making for your privates, an orifice or both, then get rid of it, it's had a taste of humans and grown to like it, so have it humanely put down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Gone back to my old Streets of Rage 1 addiction, downloaded the OST's for 1 & 2. How fun that game is :rolleyes:

AHHHHH
    Streets of Rage and it's sequels are everything that's wrong about videogames, mindless crap, punching a button or two and mostly going right, the whole genre is awful, especially Golden Axe!

Only Batman Returns on the Snes is good, and that's probably because of the wonderful atmosphere of the movie evoked therein.

Sidescrolling Beatem Ups, they really grind my gears!

Master of the Universe

AHHHHH
    Streets of Rage and it's sequels are everything that's wrong about videogames, mindless crap, punching a button or two and mostly going right, the whole genre is awful, especially Golden Axe!

Don't make me have to beat you to death, because I will!

The Golden Axe games have dated quite badly. I still enjoy them though, more out of nostaliga than anything.

Although the Revenge of Death adder is still feckin brilliant. Such a shame it was never ported out of the arcade.

Streets of Rage on the other hand - you can **** right off! They're still fantastic. Espectially 2 & 3. The graphics are among the best on the Megadrive and the fighting goes far beyond just pressing punch and kick. The sheer numble of enemy sprites on the screen at once during harder modes with no flickering is a feat in itself.

Anyone who says otherwise deserves to have all their games taken away for sheer lack of taste.
    Only Batman Returns on the Snes is good, and that's probably because of the wonderful atmosphere of the movie evoked therein.

Sidescrolling Beatem Ups, they really grind my gears!

Batman Returns? you just solidifed your lack of taste. I'll pm you my number now so you can begin handing in your collection.

Or I'll go all Axel on your ass :pac:

Alien vs. Predator is still the best scrolling beat'em up although anyone that doesn't enjoy some 2 player Streets of Rage is sick and wrong. Also Revenge of Death Adder is all kinds of awesome.

Maybe at the next retro meet up I should bring Pu Li Ru La for the Saturn:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/pulirula/pulirula.htm

pulirula-26.png

pulirula-2.png

pulirula-3.png

pulirula-4.png

pulirula-51.png

pulirula-8.png

What was it with the saturn and highly....suggestive games??

Master of the Universe

I remember playing that years ago in MAME. Just randomly stumbled across it.

'Aw, look at the pretty 2d visuals. So pretty'

Then I got to that digitized level. Was convinced some sex freak was after messing with the rom I'd downloaded and perved it up for the craic.

I used to put a good few 20p's into the old Aliens coin-op back in the day, a great game.

But I detest the genre overall, sorry!
    I have Guardian Heroes for both Saturn and GBA and have yet to play them, perhaps they'll be a second and third example of the genre I like!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I wasn't impressed with Guardian Heroes at all :( The jumping between different plains made the game feel very jerky and lose fluidity.

Aliens Versus Predator is fantastic alright. Best game to ever come out of that franchise by far. Hell, best THING to ever come out of that franchise by far.

You're not going to like either game. I found them highly over rated.

Scrolling beat'em ups follow the same principles of Halo. Halo has the principle of 30 seconds of gameplay. Scrolling beat'em ups however work on the principle of 30 seconds of fun. :P

Meow Retro, Meow.
    Halo has plenty of fun, it's just sprite whores like yourself fail to be interested in anything that doesn't feature, well, sprites!
    And Retro, didn't you play and finish all the Halo games so far?
    A lot of Halo hours logged for someone who dislikes the game, no?

I like Ikaruga though, and Blazing Star.
    I can't help but have a soft spot for Hellfire on the MD, as well as Biohazard Battle.

I've finished an awful lot of awful games in my time. Halo 1 wasn't bad for it's time and was worth playing until the halfway point were it got very tedious. I played it to the end hoping it would pick up but it didn't. Halo 2 had a cracker of an opening but it just turned to absolute crap when you started the arbiter mission. I played it to see if it would pick up and just when it looked like it was it ended. It was one of the hardest games for me to finish (not difficulty wise) and only managed it because I was playing co-op with a friend. Halo 3 wasn't all that bad. An ok dumb action game that me and my brother got through, it just wasn't anything special at all. The problem with Halo 1 and 3 is that there are far superior FPS games in everyway. Halo 2 on the other hand is just unforgiveable.

And I do like 3D games without sprite art. System Shock 2 and Metroid Prime and 2 FPS games that take a dump all over the Halo franchise :P

Metroid Prime series and FEAR 2 are much better than Halo, I know this to be true, but I still lurve Halo anyways

Master of the Universe

I can't help but have a soft spot for Hellfire on the MD, as well as Biohazard Battle.

I've been playing through Hellfire a bit recently. Finally got around to picking up a copy. Great game alright. The colour of the enemy bullets is really annoying though, I keep flying straight into them.

• Advertisement

and FEAR 2

I thought it was a terrible game, I'd rate Halo 1 and 3 over it! :)

*screenshot*

Scandal: Retr0 likes halo 3 and rates it highly!

You really are one contrary ****er aren't you?

Seriously, you would argue with your own toenails if you were trapped in a lift on your own!

FEAR 2, not terrible in any discernible way, full of invention, good weapons, good scary bits.... Nothing remotely poor about that game, much better than the good first one, far better than the stand alone mission packs that weren't even made by the original developers and, best of all, soon to be joined by the amazingly well titled FEAR 3!

I just found it was FEAR but with cutscenes that were predictable and as scary as a damp tissue. Much preferred the first one although I did turn off FEAR 2 because I thought it wasn't worth my while.

Yeah and I'm having a bad day :P

Master of the Universe

Retr0 reported for trolling :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement