Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Playing Demon's Souls, only started, just beaten the Tower Knight, but amazing so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

By far my favourite game this generation. At least it's getting a Euro release for the dopes too lazy to import.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Have you played Red Dead Redemption yet? It's rivaling Fallout 3 as my own favourite game of this generation.

Still haven't played Demons Souls yet though. Maybe some day when I pick up a ps3 in a charity shop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nope still haven't played Red Dead Redemption. Really didn't think too much of GTA 4 so it was under my radar but really want to play it now but haven't the time to put in because of this thesis :(

Master of the Universe

Ah forget about souless GTA IV, this completely blows it away in every respect.

You're in luck though as it seems to be out of stock everywhere. So get your Thesis finished before shops get more copies in!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I saw loads of Red Dead in HMV in the Pav in Swords, going for 45 new as well.
    Gamestop are selling Lost Planet 2 for a fiver once you trade in a game with a preowned value of 15 or over, they also have Split Second for 15 when trade in a similar 15 euro preowned value title.
    Going to go for Lost Planet 2 at least, Split Second seems more my type than Blur, which looks a bit like Wipeout, or rather Rollcage but with street cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭marcuspheonix

retro games i have been playing are duke nukem 3d and sonic. completed altered beast couple of weeks ago. as for current gen games, battlefield bc2 and arkham asylum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

o1s1n wrote: »

Streets of Rage on the other hand - you can **** right off! They're still fantastic. Espectially 2 & 3. The graphics are among the best on the Megadrive and the fighting goes far beyond just pressing punch and kick. The sheer numble of enemy sprites on the screen at once during harder modes with no flickering is a feat in itself.

Anyone who says otherwise deserves to have all their games taken away for sheer lack of taste.

I dunno about 3 i hated SoR3, mainly because of the music, thats the one thing that SoR made itself great, and they messed it up. I don't get how anyone likes the Character Select screen music, it soulds like it belongs on Atari 2600!!!

Sor1 was the best SoR game though, SoR2 was amazing still but it was too easy, good thing is though they gave Blaze a Dan-Like Kadouken xD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I spent most of yesterday playing PSX games. Played me some Resident Evil (the Dual Shock edition of the Director's Cut, it has a different soundtrack) and WipEout 2097, Street Fighter Ex Plus Alpha and X-Men: Mutant Academy.

Has anyone played X-Men: Mutant Academy btw?

Master of the Universe

Xinkai wrote: »
    I dunno about 3 i hated SoR3, mainly because of the music, thats the one thing that SoR made itself great, and they messed it up. I don't get how anyone likes the Character Select screen music, it soulds like it belongs on Atari 2600!!!

The character select screen music makes my ears bleed alright. I think they were just following the music trend at the time, the electronic stuff was getting a lot harsher.

The game itself is quite good though. Especially if you play Bare Knuckle 3 and not the neutered version we got here.
    Sor1 was the best SoR game though, SoR2 was amazing still but it was too easy, good thing is though they gave Blaze a Dan-Like Kadouken xD

Streets of Rage 1 has by far the best music, but the sprite animation isn't the best. There just aren't enough frames of animation to each character. They really fixed that with SOR 2 though. The game looks beautiful. Would love to see SOR 1 remade with the SOR engine.
    Augmerson wrote: »
    I spent most of yesterday playing PSX games. Played me some Resident Evil (the Dual Shock edition of the Director's Cut, it has a different soundtrack) and WipEout 2097, Street Fighter Ex Plus Alpha and X-Men: Mutant Academy.

Has anyone played X-Men: Mutant Academy btw?

I've never actually played through Resident Evil completely. My first game in that series was RE2. Must pick it up and give it a proper play through.

Never played Mutant Academy. Any good?

• Advertisement

Wasn't Mutant Academy not brilliant but decent and far better than a license had any right to be?

I was always wondering why the music in the SoR games seemed like it should be running at a higher tempo until I found out about the horrors of PAL gaming in an issue of Superplay.

You really should play Resident Evil 1, it's completely different to the rest of the series. From Resi 2 onwards the series has been very action orientated while Resi 1 really was about choosing the safest route through the mansion and saving on ammo. Resi Remake on the Gamecube is also well worth playing and different enough from the original that it's worht playing both games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭justbrian

SOR 2 was by far the best, yeah agreed it was too easy. That can be fixed by using the cheat code to up to difficulty to very hard. (hold a +b on control 2 while going into options.) The music, and characters were the best of the game. max is cool.

SOR 3 was good but the music was not as good and it just seemed overall very alike SOR2. Not the vast improvement that was SOR2 over SOR1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I remember renting mutant academy.Fun fighting game and better then I was expecting too.Never played the sequels though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

justbrian wrote: »
    SOR 2 was by far the best, yeah agreed it was too easy. That can be fixed by using the cheat code to up to difficulty to very hard. (hold a +b on control 2 while going into options.) The music, and characters were the best of the game. max is cool.

SOR 3 was good but the music was not as good and it just seemed overall very alike SOR2. Not the vast improvement that was SOR2 over SOR1

You know, the one thing I hated about the SOR series of games was there simply wasn't enough of them, I mean how about SOR4 or even 5 on all the formats, they're so great, even my dog loves them!

Only kidding, Streets of Rage games suck!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You know, the one thing I hated about the SOR series of games was there simply wasn't enough of them, I mean how about SOR4 or even 5 on all the formats, they're so great, even my dog loves them!

Only kidding, Streets of Rage games suck!
    Sucked in your personal opinion of course. Everybody has at least one well liked game that they just don't like.

Me? I hate mario brothers games. thought they were boring compared to other platformers. Doesn't mean I think they are bad games, they are not. Just means I find them boring.

Master of the Universe

Sucked in your personal opinion of course. Everybody has at least one well liked game that they just don't like.

Me? I hate mario brothers games. thought they were boring compared to other platformers. Doesn't mean I think they are bad games, they are not. Just means I find them boring.

Don't mind Ciderman, if there's one person who hates fantastic games and loves stinkers, it's him :pac:

Don't mind Ciderman, if there's one person who hates fantastic games and loves stinkers, it's him :pac:
    Actually that gives me a thought. Peple like bad films sometimes, as in so bad it's good, but almost never bad games.

Does anybody like bad retro games, in a so bad it's good way?

Me I love to play rise of the robot. Yeah its S**** but still fun.

Yeah, Streets of Rage, just love it, because it's really sh1te!

And Justbrian, Mario Bros games are "boring"?

You're going to find it hard to get along in these parts, I mean slagging off Streets of Rage and GoldenAxe aside, it's hard to pick any faults at all with the likes of Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World, beautifully made, constantly inventive, I mean boring compared to what exactly?
    Or do you mean Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy/2 are boring?
    A few particular 2D fiends may agree with you, but each of those games represents the zenith of 3D platforming in their respective generations (not SMG/SMG2 as they were in the same gen, of course, d'oh!).
    To paraphrase Douglas Adams, when you're bored with Mario games, you're bored with life.

Perhaps you should subject yourself to Shadow the Hedgehog and Bubsy the Bobcat to remind yourself how awful the world is when Mario isn't the star of the game!

And name one stinker that I liked that no one else did, and Halo doesn't count, because the rest if the planet loves them too!

Woohoo!
    3700 posts!
    Must get a life!
    Ah, forget it, much more fun here!

Yeah, Streets of Rage, just love it, because it's really sh1te!

And Justbrian, Mario Bros games are "boring"?

You're going to find it hard to get along in these parts, I mean slagging off Streets of Rage and GoldenAxe aside, it's hard to pick any faults at all with the likes of Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World, beautifully made, constantly inventive, I mean boring compared to what exactly?
    Or do you mean Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy/2 are boring?
    A few particular 2D fiends may agree with you, but each of those games represents the zenith of 3D platforming in their respective generations (not SMG/SMG2 as they were in the same gen, of course, d'oh!).
    To paraphrase Douglas Adams, when you're bored with Mario games, you're bored with life.

Perhaps you should subject yourself to Shadow the Hedgehog and Bubsy the Bobcat to remind yourself how awful the world is when Mario isn't the star of the game!

And name one stinker that I liked that no one else did, and Halo doesn't count, because the rest if the planet loves them too!

Woohoo!
    3700 posts!
    Must get a life!
    Ah, forget it, much more fun here!
    Mario games are boring in that I don't enjoy them. Not in any way, shape or form bad games.

Then again I always was a sega (read sonic) man.

• Advertisement

Hmm, games I love because they are crap? Not sure there's anything that I like that way. I heard a lot of people love Night Trap for this reason.

The only game that comes close is Global Defence Force and Earth Defence Force 2017. However both of those games despite having awful production values and crappy visuals are both amazing fun and the cheapness only adds to the charm.
    And name one stinker that I liked that no one else did, and Halo doesn't count, because all the 7-13 year old impressionable teenagers and boozed up college jocks love them too!

FYP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Kuri Kuri Mix is a game I picked up earlier today as I was passing by Gamestop on Liffey Street, I liked it. Now, it really should be played with two people, but I'm playing on my own, and the objective is to get these two rabbits from the end of an obstacle course against the clock. I love the music and the graphics of the game, very colourful and bright and happy -

Vid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The only game that comes close is Global Defence Force and Earth Defence Force 2017. However both of those games despite having awful production values and crappy visuals are both amazing fun and the cheapness only adds to the charm.

+1. EDF 2017 it's definitely not the most technologically or visually advanced game ever, but massive amounts of fun. I'll admit I didn't think I'd enjoy it or play it too much and I was only buying it because it could be a future rarity, but I was very surprised at how addictive it was and just pure fun.

Also, if anyone even thinks of bad mouthing pokémon or saying how crap it is, I will hunt you down. 4 rlz.

And you have evidence of these impressionable teens and jocks?
    Hmm....

I wonder what european demographic plays your games? Or has an unreasonable obsession with Hello Kitty branded consoles???? ;)

EDF and GDF, have them for the 360 and PS2, a bit like Space Invaders really, there are better games out there but once in a while you pop them in the console, fire them up for a quick go and find yourself in a frantic state some 15 minutes later when a 10 story robot incinerates you with a mini-nuke while standing over you, and then some similarly sized ants pick through your ashes, looking for what? I don't know, perhaps a few more frames of animation?

Gears Of War series is arguably more fun than Halo, however your character does feel just a little too hard (ooh err missus, me "character" is too hard, would'ja take a look?)

What was that about Pokemon?
    Apparently on the 8th day, after the resting one, the gods made Pokemon, or so I'm told, right after they made Halo.
    The gods work experience student was given some crap to keep him busy and he came up with Streets of Rage and Golden Axe, Altered Beast as well!

And you have evidence of these impressionable teens and jocks?

I'll just fire up xbox live here. Oh look I've been called a noob gay faglord already.

I'd rather play EDF and GDF than Halo and most other shooters tbh. It might be a dumb shooter with no finesse but by god does it do the dumb shooter well. GDF is way better than EDF which is a pity since a game as good as GDF with EDF's graphics would be excellent. It's more smash TV than space invaders for me!

Master of the Universe

The gods work experience student was given some crap to keep him busy and he came up with Streets of Rage and Golden Axe, Altered Beast as well!

You just lumped SOR and Golden Axe with Altered Beast. We are now officially enemies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Pete Sampras Tennis on MD and Top Spin on Xbox

Master of the Universe

I love Pete Sampras Tennis. Tennis games are the only sports games worth playing -FACT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I love Pete Sampras Tennis. Tennis games are the only sports games worth playing -FACT!
    Im suddenly in the mood for a game of anna kournikovas smash court tennis

The second God of War is far better than the already great first game. The only place it doesn't beat the first game is in the story department, the story is terrible and Kratos has been turned into a very not likeable 1D character.

The thing about God of War is that there's not much to it other than the spectacle since the combat really isn;t deep at all. It's still a good game but it can't match the deep combat system of DMC3, Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta.

Master of the Universe

I quite liked the original God of War. The visuals were stunning for the aging ps2 hardware...and it also made quick time events fun. A feat in itself.

Haven't played any of the sequals though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I really think the GoW series is overrated. Technically and in terms of spectacle, it's pretty damn impressive. The developers can get the most out of the PS hardware. Gameplay wise, I agree with Retr0 with the combat system suffering in comparison with the likes of DMC. Playing the third one in clos proximity to Bayonetta made it feel clunky and messy in comparison to Platinum's almost perfect combat. Plus, the attempts at 'maturity' in GoW are embarrasing. Not bad games, just strangely overrated IMO.

I just had a go of Gradius V. It might just be perfect. I've only played the third one before that, but that formula plus Treasure is stupidly good. The second stage boss battle lasts like a quarter of an hour! ****ing epic.

I keep telling people that Gradius V might very well be the best game on the PS2 but people just don't listen to me. I'm glad someone else got to play it though. Really is a superb shooter. Love the second level boss. It's like Treasure said 'in the old games these were end of level bosses but this is a treasure joint and a only a **** load of old bosses will do!'.

It's a great series as well, every game in it is amazing (well Gradius 3 is way too tough but the SNES version rectifies that) and the spin off series Parodius has some of the best shooters ever made. Gradius Gaiden on the PS1is probably as good as Gradius V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

The cheats are gas...

Loved the codes in F197, new tracks and the Wipeout style car.
    Thought the various cheat codes in the Colin McCrea games on the PS1 were a bit over the top.
    DEATH TAAAANNNNNKKKKK! is still the best freebie ever.

DEATH TAAAANNNNNKKKKK! is still the best freebie ever.

If only we had some multitaps and more saturn pads at the last retro meet up, we could have played it all night.

I have yet to go to one of these get togethers, it's just a pity I live in the Sticks, or you could all convene here!
    Not sure how many would fit in my gamesroom, you're all pretty small yes?
    Certainly have to get another TV or two in to support all those that want to play.
    Then again you'd all see my Goldenaxe and SoR collections, in their little shrine, next to the crucified Master Chief figurine, and my secret would be out, you wouldn't tell anyone, would you?

I live in the Sticks as well, Balbriggan! although at least I've a nightrider bus if I'm drinking and a car if I want to loser out. There's no excuse not to be there ciderman. I'm still waiting on this face to face Gunstar vs. Halo 'discussion' or are you too chicken??? :P

One word review:
    Awesome!

Master of the Universe

I'm still waiting on this face to face Gunstar vs. Halo 'discussion' or are you too chicken??? :P

I'm still waiting to show him my Golden Axe. And I don't mean the game :pac:

• Advertisement

Golden Axe had the best named bad guy ever, Death=Adder. Can't forget the =

Golden=Axe
    Death=Adder
    Skid=Mark
    Sh1te=Stain;)

Master of the Universe

Sh1te=stain
    Wipe=out

:D

Halo = Shite

Halo = Shite
    Halo 2= Multiplayer ****e

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Halo 2= Multiplayer ****e

Halo 3 = Wait, haven't I played this ****e before?

Master of the Universe

Halo ODST = Overrated Deplorable Shit is Tiresome.

And I won't hear a word said about Wipeout, that game is next to the gods themselves, brit developers at their very best, Psygnosis Rule!

And as for Halo, you're all quite entitled to your opinions, they stink, but you're entitled to them.
    Halo ODST, only thing wrong with that one was it was too short.
    Nearly finished Mass Effect 2 by the way, very good stuff, don't want to wait another 2 years for Mass Effect 3 though!

Master of the Universe

And I won't hear a word said about Wipeout, that game is next to the gods themselves, brit developers at their very best, Psygnosis Rule!

I know, I did feel bad writing that :(

Halo ODST, only thing wrong with that one was it was too short.

You're also forgetting the title...and the fact that it featured the green dildo.

Okay I haven't played it but this Halo bashing bandwagon is great :D

• Advertisement

I still play (the original) wipeout, Love it.

Advertisement