Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nope it wasn't a destruction derby game, it was a game that played like it but not part of the series. It had destruction in the name. I rememeber when you landed on top of a car you'd get a massive bonus and kill it outright in one hit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's the one, it's a surprisingly brilliant game!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Never liked the later games in the genre, on the xbox.ps2, the likes of Test Drive:Eve of Destruction, not much fun tbh.
    Looking for something new retrogaming wise and now figure I have everything I could possibly want, nice way to be!
    Although the promise of no more ebay parcels coming through the postal system makes me sad, a little.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,266 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Never liked the later games in the genre, on the xbox.ps2, the likes of Test Drive:Eve of Destruction, not much fun tbh.
    Looking for something new retrogaming wise and now figure I have everything I could possibly want, nice way to be!
    Although the promise of no more ebay parcels coming through the postal system makes me sad, a little.. :(

Ah, I know what you mean. I've kind of reached that point. I need to buy Panzer Dragoon Saga, Radiant Silvergun and a Vectrex.

After that I'm out of ideas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I remember being seriously dazzled by DD, while playing it on the demo disc that came with my PS1. Such a fun game, and the commentary ha - "You've blown your radiator!" after a big mince up in The Bowl :) - '97 was a pure golden age indeed.

I always find there's something else I've never tried or a genre that I've yet to explore. Usually find out about them from HG101 and I think the best feeling as a retrohead is discovering a game you've never heard of before and finding out that it's brilliant.

I used to hate western RPGs thanks to knights of the old republic boring me to tears but recently Fallout, Fallout 3 and Mass Effect have got me interested in the genre again. I've also discovered how stupid I was playing Final Fantasy all the time and ignoring the vastly superior Shin Megami Tensei series, plenty of games there to keep me collecting for quite a while. I've kind of gotten into dungeon crawlers as well.

I've also found out that Silent Bomber on the PS1 is supposedly amazing and really want it.

So o1s1n... think you've got almost every game you've ever wanted. Then don't click on this link and read it:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/divide/divide.htm

See there's always something new to discover in gaming. I also think you haven't tried Einhander yet.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah, I know what you mean. I've kind of reached that point. I need to buy Panzer Dragoon Saga, Radiant Silvergun and a Vectrex.

After that I'm out of ideas!

Well, you're coming on Saturday night yes?
    Then you can sample the Vectrex, see what you think.
    You have to get the flash cart though, essential stuff.
    The homebrew is better than the regular stuff!

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So o1s1n... think you've got almost every game you've ever wanted. Then don't click on this link and read it:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/divide/divide.htm

See there's always something new to discover in gaming. I also think you haven't tried Einhander yet.

Cheers for the link! I'll check it out.

I was actually referring to buying things. There are crap loads more games I need to play but I don't plan on buying them all! Starting to run out of space. The collector side of me is almost satisfied. Especially hardware wise.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, you're coming on Saturday night yes?
    Then you can sample the Vectrex, see what you think.
    You have to get the flash cart though, essential stuff.
    The homebrew is better than the regular stuff!

Oh god yeah I'll be there. Would never miss a chance to thrash Retr0 at Powerstone :D

Cant wait to give that Vectrex a go. I've seen some on ebay going for cheap enough over the last while.

Was the flash card expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've also found out that Silent Bomber on the PS1 is supposedly amazing and really want it.

It is indeed. I remember seeing a review when it was released and running out to buy it. Actually might be the last ps1 game I bought new. Great, great game

It was a while ago I got it, I think it weighed in at about 60/70 euro.
    I have a link here to his site,
    http://www.richard.hutchinson.dsl.pipex.com/
    and if you are seriously intending to buy a Vectrex you have to have one, so I would suggest you buy one ahead of time, as he has only 2 left in stock.
    Also it's the groovy USB one, not the slightly less groovy serial port one I have!

Master of the Universe

Spent the evening playing Ikaruga, Under Defeat and Shikigami no Shiro II with the new joystick. You really haven't met shooter percision until you've used a seimitsu stick. First time I've tried one and my god I love the thing. Was dodging bullet hell sections in Skikigami that I would have blistered my thumb using a Dreamcast D pad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Playing alot of Metroid Prime lately and really getting into it. I remember the first time I played it I found the control scheme very difficult to get used to, but this time around I've got it or it could be the different controller I am using (a Game controller).

It's an impressive game but not your usual FPS. More exploring involved. The worlds are really well done. I like it alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Im playing Heroes of Might and Magic 3, complete edition these days, classs

Wait until you get to the two sequels, outstanding!
    The second one is quite tough, and unforgiving.
    The third is a bit easier, although the characterisation of the other mercenaries is terrible, really a Resident Evil school of voice acting here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'm quite happy to have my Dreamcast up and running again with the VMU so been giving that a lot of love today. Played a good bit of Jet Set Radio and Tokyo Highway Challenge. My Code Veronica disc doesn't seem to want to play so I'll have to try give that a clean.

Tokyo Highway Battle!
    I loved that game, racing along the Tokyo motorways, challenges and swerving in and out of traffic.
    And yet when Need for Speed went there with Underground, I hated it.
    The only one of that period I liked was NFS:Most Wanted, mostly because the drivers weren't exclusively nocturnal!
    I swear most of the recent NFS drivers were at least part badger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It's quite fun but sometimes a little difficult. I don't like the way the other cars are like moving walls, as in they don't move at all when you crash into them. Still, it's a fun game and I'm enjoying it.

Master of the Universe

Hooked up the Dreamcast/seimitsu stick to my pc this evening via the Tro Linker Plus II. It works a hell of a lot better than I thought it would. No lag at all. Was able to get really percise movements in for shooters.

Also tried out that Dreamcast shooter pack for the first time. Hadn't played any of them. Zero Gunner 2 is great fun but seems easier than average. Either that or this stick has given me godly powers as I didn't get hit once for the first 5 levels. (Then someone stood in front of the tv!)

Now, just have to figure out if there's a way I can get it working with the ps2 for Gradius V!

Must break out the Dreamcast Arcade (now repurposed into NeoGeo MBS duties) stick and play a bit of Metal Slug tonight, nice game I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭feckhead

Played and completed Desert, Jungle and Urban strike on the Megadrive during the week. Gameplay still holds up today. Waiting on Soviet and Nuclear Strike to arrive from England for the PS1. Even though I'm a huge fan of the Strike series I never got to play them when they came out, so I really can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cheetara

I am playing through Fable for the first time. Great game. I am really enjoying it!

feckhead wrote: »
    Played and completed Desert, Jungle and Urban strike on the Megadrive during the week. Gameplay still holds up today. Waiting on Soviet and Nuclear Strike to arrive from England for the PS1. Even though I'm a huge fan of the Strike series I never got to play them when they came out, so I really can't wait.

Well done, found the strike series to be really tough. Soviet Strike has one of the best missions ever, protecting Boris Yeltsins armoured limo from a terrorist attack. Halfway through the mission he stops at an off license to get vodka. Think they changed it to a fast food place in some versions.

Soviet Strike cannot be cleared by mortal beings.

Back-to-Back Post FO REALZ.

I ordered an RGB cable from ebay for my Gamecube and finally hooked it up last night. I was playing Metroid Prime first and noticed a little difference in the quality of the image, but when I put F-Zero GX on, I was blown away.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Back-to-Back Post FO REALZ.

I ordered an RGB cable from ebay for my Gamecube and finally hooked it up last night. I was playing Metroid Prime first and noticed a little difference in the quality of the image, but when I put F-Zero GX on, I was blown away.

F-zero GX was the first game I played to try out RGB and see what the fuss was about. Ran back to the shop the next day and got RGB cables for my Xbox and PS2 :) There is a massive difference in Metroid Prime. Go immediately back to AV and it will look terrible with less detail and washed out colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That Sir, is a week WELL spent - well done man.

RF/Standard AV cables are only for the gaming equivilent of muck savages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭justbrian

I found Nuclear strike to be the weakest in the series, but I love the rest.

Re(rerere) playing Ape Escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭feckhead

EnterNow wrote: »
    That Sir, is a week WELL spent - well done man.

RF/Standard AV cables are only for the gaming equivilent of muck savages.

Loved every minute of it. I honestly forgot how good the games were. Im suprised they havent been remade on XBLA or PSN already.

If you want an unofficial sequel to the strike games then get Future Cop LAPD for the PS1, also available from PSN. Was meant to be a named strike game but was changed at the last minute and was appartently developedby the old strike series team.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yep, Future Cop LAPD is a kick ass game. It somewhat suffered from Tombi syndrome in that everyone played the demo but never bought the game.

I only got my copy last year. It's been on my to buy list since the 90s.

Visually it really reminds me of Syndicate Wars for some reason.

Master of the Universe

FINALLY managed to finish ICO. I don't know what it was about that game, but some later sections I just kept dying over and over. Would then have to do huge parts all over again due to how the save mechanism worked. Controller throwing frustration. I'd given up on it a few years ago half way through because of this..but just had to stick it out this time as it's such a great game.

Loved the ambiguity of it all. Especially the ending.

Just moved on to Odin Sphere. Christ they're some nice looking visuals!

Odin Sphere was done in HD before it was downscaled for the PS2. Think how good it would have looked on the PS3 :) The unfortunate thing is you'll be seeing those visuals a lot, there's a lot of reused assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DaleHyland

I have urban strike upstairs. Played it for 10 minutes and shut it off. didnt know what was going on lols. I'm playing tekken four alot and Dead or Alive 3 and Tony Hawks Underground 2. (WTF? Outta place much?) I might get a game of Need for Speed underground 2 epic game.

Started Limbo on the 360 tonight, all I can say is bloody bell, redefined 2D platforming, the diametric opposite of New Super Mario Bros. it looks breathtaking, I'll never look at either bear traps or giant spiders the same way. I urge you all to forget all about a new Sonic game and just try the demo instead. I bet you'll jump the first time you're introduced to the bear trap. Class stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Limbo is a wonderful game alright, gorgeous, atmospheric, poor little chap looks so lonely in the darkness. The puzzles are fantastic too, although very devious towards the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Age of Empires (1997)

Age of Empires II and the expansion The Conquerors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

-Resident Evil 1 (PS3)
    -Red Dead Redemption (PS3)
    -Sword of the Stars (PC)
    -Patapon 2 (PSP)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yep, Future Cop LAPD is a kick ass game. It somewhat suffered from Tombi syndrome in that everyone played the demo but never bought the game.

I only got my copy last year. It's been on my to buy list since the 90s.

Visually it really reminds me of Syndicate Wars for some reason.
    I used to have the game years ago but I don't know where it went :( I still have the case even, to taunt me. It was a fantastic game, I especially loved the kind of "battle" thing where you could create tanks and helicopters.

• Advertisement

Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising for the GBA. About 10 or 11 missions into it so far, not as challenging as the first (and that was a breeze compared to Advance Wars DS) but still an enjoyable game. I play it in work on the GBA and then when I get home stick it on the Gameboy Player :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Mortal Kombat II and lots of it. It's partly because I have the original cab but mostly because I enjoying giving the house mates a good kicking then watching them explode in a shower of gore!

I played it a lot in arcade's in Dublin City and Swords in 93'- 94' (I may even have kicked your ass) so I found the moves, fatality's and combos came back naturally. I know one or two of my mates have now downloaded it for there PS3's and swore revenge!

Now...let the MKII bashing begin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I was thinking of starting Bioforge again, its been a long time since I played it.

I love that game! I still have my original copy somewhere, must dig that out again, after I'm done with all the Resident Evil games..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Got Wonder Boy In Monster World for the MD this week and loving it, great game. Only Wonder Boy I had properly played before was on the C64 which was totally different. Think I have Wonder Boy 3 somewhere but not mad on that (has the shoot-em up sections in it?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Am playing at the moment, Prince of Persia (original game) and x-wing vs Tie Fighter. Would love a new Tie fighter game to be made but dont see any in the pipeline.

Mother 3 on the GBA, which is an absolutely amazing, so emotionally involving (sniff)

Also Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne which is a stupidly good RPG. I can see why the HG101 people think it's the best RPG ever.

And to top it all I'm playing Thief. It took a while to get into because of the old graphics and bugs but it's a great game with some stupidly good level design and there's really nothing else like it.

• Advertisement

If I find time to play a few it'll probably be a spot of red dead redemption, but I do want to get back into Shadow of the Colossus and a bit of God of War 2 as well.
    Must put games aside and tidy the games room, can't move but for other junk in there at the mo

Master of the Universe

I haven't finished Shadow of the Colossus myself. After completing ICO last week I really want to put the effort into it. I may put Odin Sphere on the back burner and focus on that instead.

Also have a nice fresh copy of Psychonauts ready to go too. Spoiled for choice so I am :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Being playing Resident Evil 5 of late and am bored having to play new games so tonight I'm gonna rock some GBA till late heres the list in order that
    I'll play.

1. Final Fight 1
    2. Street Fighter II super turbo
    3. MegaMan Zero 3
    4. Advanced Guardian Heroes
    5. Metal Slug Advance

That should keep me going for a while but if its not enough I can always break out SuperMario Advance 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭justbrian

LoGiE wrote: »
    Mortal Kombat II and lots of it. It's partly because I have the original cab but mostly because I enjoying giving the house mates a good kicking then watching them explode in a shower of gore!

I played it a lot in arcade's in Dublin City and Swords in 93'- 94' (I may even have kicked your ass) so I found the moves, fatality's and combos came back naturally. I know one or two of my mates have now downloaded it for there PS3's and swore revenge!

Now...let the MKII bashing begin!
    If you played it in Swords in 93 /94 in the old main street arcade then you probably played me. Almost certain actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I've been replaying Supersonic Racers, such a good game. Its even better than I remember it. Want to get a hold of the Crash Bandicoot games and play them. Going through a "games I played when I was a teenager" phase

• Advertisement
Advertisement