Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

justbrian wrote: »
    If you played it in Swords in 93 /94 in the old main street arcade then you probably played me. Almost certain actually.

It was in the snooker hall for a long time. I think Killer instinct came along and I lost interest. The memory isn't what it used to be but I remember most of the arcade cabinets they had in there. I wonder what happened to them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,266 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

LoGiE wrote: »
    I wonder what happened to them all.

http://g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/moviesandtv/69009/Behind-the-Scenes-of-Human-Wrecking-Balls.html

Oh dear god. I think I'm going to be sick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh the humanity :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pretty horrific that is, shame that helicopter blade didn't slice them in half. :D

Master of the Universe

I was hoping one of them might accidentally dislodge an annode cap.

Master of the Universe

Finally finished Shadow of the Colossus last night. About five years overdue. Better late than never, eh?

Fantastic ending. Really moving.
    The futility of clinging on to the steps just as you're getting sucked into the pool. Still hung on till the very end though!

After just finishing ICO a couple of weeks before, my mind is now full of possibilities of how the two are linked.

I can't believe how long I put off playing them through. Especially as I've had them both sitting in my ps2 collection for years.

Moved on to Batman: Arkham Asylum now. It feels so dumb in comparison :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Since the CRT is free I've been playing lightgun games on the saturn and DC!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Finally finished Shadow of the Colossus last night. About five years overdue. Better late than never, eh?

Fantastic ending. Really moving.
    The futility of clinging on to the steps just as you're getting sucked into the pool. Still hung on till the very end though!

After just finishing ICO a couple of weeks before, my mind is now full of possibilities of how the two are linked.

I can't believe how long I put off playing them through. Especially as I've had them both sitting in my ps2 collection for years.

Moved on to Batman: Arkham Asylum now. It feels so dumb in comparison :D

Betcha can't wait for The Last Guardian then, and what subtle way it may, or may not, be linked into the meta-verse of Team Ico's games.

Now there's a thought!
    What would happen if Team Ico and Sonic Team swapped series?

Dragging Yorda around the castle at 100mph, Shadow monsters led by Dr.Eggman and a misguided Knuckles? Probably either make it with the friend hauling Sonic Crackers engine, or turn it into a crap game with a robotic Hedgehog, a chase scene involving an Orca and a big cat that likes to fish.
    Very tragic I think you'll agree!

But....

The other side, in this murky alternate gaming dev world?
    What if Team Ico had made, say, Sonic Adventure?
    How cool could it have been?
    Suggestions to the usual place (namely beneath this post!)
    No prizes, just nice thoughts :)

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Betcha can't wait for The Last Guardian then, and what subtle way it may, or may not, be linked into the meta-verse of Team Ico's games.

I still don't have a PS3. So I'm currently trying to convince myself that this game doesn't exist!

Might get to play it in about 4 or 5 years when I pick up a ps3 in a charity shop :(

Really interested in seeing how it ties in with the other games and it if shines more light on the overall story and links. I would imagine that if anything it'll just make the whole thing even more complex and open ended. Just the way I like it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh, just buy a damn PS3 and be done with it!
    Sell a couple of your extra MD and Snes games to fund it!
    Go on!
    The get Uncharted and the sequel, probably the best things on the machine, aside from Flower via PSN.

• Advertisement

Meh to uncharted 1 and 2. Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles are the games that make the system worth it.

Master of the Universe

I think it'll take more than 3 or 4 games to warrant another black monolith beside the television. I may just rob a mates ps3 for a little while to have a bash of The Last Guardian when it comes out.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Meh to uncharted 1 and 2. Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles are the games that make the system worth it.

Well, he would say that, wouldn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

Playing lots of Mame stuff on my shiny new Caanoo (GP2X thingy).
    Also Laser Squad via spectrum emulator, hmmm must try and get hold of an old 48k Spectrum...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

What's the analog stick like on the Caanoo? Would it be at all usable for NES emulation etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I've had a bit of a survival horror craving recently, so I'm replaying the Gamecube Resident Evil 1 remake! Usually at night, with the lights off and curtains closed to maximise the possibility of becoming creeped out. Difficult to get scared when you're wielding an acid-spewing grenade launcher, mind. :p

On a less retro note (assuming GC games can be considered retro in the first place o_o) I'm also playing Fatal Frame 4 using the translation patch some lovely fans created for it! It's the first FF game I've played, and it's damn good. Your character feels mostly helpless, and your only means of defence requires you to get an up-close and first-person view of whatever horror happens to be shambling your way... so it's quite genuinely terrifying at times. The plot is very strong, and it achieves a nice balance between the cheap frights found in the RE series and the slower burning, more psychologically affecting terror of the Silent Hill games. It's insane that Nintendo won't be publishing it outside of Japan, it's easily one of the Wii's best games!

A friend of mine absolutely loves the series (he even owns a Camera Obscura replica that actually functions as a camera!) and has been singing their praises for ages... I can definitely see why now, and can't wait to play the previous entries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Played a bit of Formula 1 World Championship for the Sega CD tonight. It's an ok game, graphics aren't great but the sound is good and the game is well put together, it's a nice attempt. Only problem was there is no reverse, if you hit an obstacle you bounce off it and you can end up pointing in the wrong direction. This happened to me after I did 2 qualifying sessions and my final race was just a write off, grrrraaaarrrrr!

Then stuck on Hellfire, didn't get very far but I'll have to come back to it again, it's a good 'un.

Reminds me to revisit that excellent F1 game for the N64, frame rate wasn't great but it otherwise looked fab, a very good unlicensed F1 game on the DC too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭justbrian

I've had a bit of a survival horror craving recently, so I'm replaying the Gamecube Resident Evil 1 remake! Usually at night, with the lights off and curtains closed to maximise the possibility of becoming creeped out. Difficult to get scared when you're wielding an acid-spewing grenade launcher, mind. :p

On a less retro note (assuming GC games can be considered retro in the first place o_o) I'm also playing Fatal Frame 4 using the translation patch some lovely fans created for it! It's the first FF game I've played, and it's damn good. Your character feels mostly helpless, and your only means of defence requires you to get an up-close and first-person view of whatever horror happens to be shambling your way... so it's quite genuinely terrifying at times. The plot is very strong, and it achieves a nice balance between the cheap frights found in the RE series and the slower burning, more psychologically affecting terror of the Silent Hill games. It's insane that Nintendo won't be publishing it outside of Japan, it's easily one of the Wii's best games!

A friend of mine absolutely loves the series (he even owns a Camera Obscura replica that actually functions as a camera!) and has been singing their praises for ages... I can definitely see why now, and can't wait to play the previous entries.
    The fatal frame games are released as project zero here in Ireland (and on pal). Try PZ 2 and 3 both superb games, I have not tried the original.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Thanks to this thread I'm back playing RA on the PS1 :)

It's a horrible game if you don't have a mouse. Just get it off steam for peanuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It's a horrible game if you don't have a mouse. Just get it off steam for peanuts.

I do have the mouse

Still PS1 version only runs in 320x240, a really crappy resolution for the game. You can run it at a ridiculous resolution on the PC.

Actually you can download red alert for free now that I think about it.

http://compactiongames.about.com/od/freegames/p/ccredalert_free.htm

Just finished Thief there. Absolutely superb game with some of the best level and sound design I've ever seen. Can't believe I missed out on it. Best thing is, I've thief 2 and 3 still to go!

Thief 3 on the Xbox, astounding looking stuff.
    Must get back to it some day.

• Advertisement

All my PC friends have been telling me it was 'consolified' and no were near as good. Playing this and STALKER it's refreshing playing an FPS that isn't just point and shoot and it's kind of annoying that the genre hasn't found as big an audience because these games along wiht deus ex and system shock 2 (and I'm sure some one will say Ultima Underworld) are far more satisfying. I hope Cliffy B is right in that the future of FPS is in RPGs.

Finally played a spot of Metroid: Other M this morning.
    Not sure if I really like it as much as the Prime series.
    The visuals are fine, the sounds are all there, the swoosh of the jumps and the tac tac of her armoured feet on metal platforms is great, but the auto-targeting? The lack of proper analogue controls?
    It all feels like a DS game, in fact that is maybe the better platform for this exact game, 2D running and jumping with a spot of visor action thrown in.
    The Prime series on the GC was streets ahead.
    Not to mention the long, unskippable cutscenes and the deplorable voice acting.
    I'll persevere but not holding out too much hope.

May not get to play Metroid for a while, just started Lost In Shadows for the Wii, it's gorgeous, another game destined to be played by about 5 people in the west!
    It, so far, feels a bit like Ico, stark bright sunshine bathed castle, dark shadows upon the walls, except instead of fighting shadow creatures, you are a shadow creature!
    Anyways, it's a stunning variant on the platformer, very much 2D, well what do you expect, you're a shadow!

Can I ask how you got your hands on it now? Thought it wasn't out until 2011. Made a note to keep an eye on it as it reminded me of Ico too.

Master of the Universe

That's probably a question that's best left unanswered :pac:

• Advertisement

Lost In Shadows you say?
    I must have meant I saw it running online somewhere and... em....anyways....
    Look over there!!! (runs away to hide his Wii and "attachments")

Hah no probs. ;)

Rest assured that if a game is good enough to warrant purchase I will put my hand in my pocket, I bought Super Mario Galaxy 2 for example.
    Unfortunately I don't buy many Wii titles these days for that very reason.
    And sadly, as long as they and try to "pirate" their way into my wallet, expecting payment for rubbish games, I won't mind the try before you buy method.
    Or in this case, try long before you'll have a chance to buy!
    Nicely, Lost In Shadows has totally english ingame text, presumably switched on with the language settings of the console.
    Also means that a North American release can't be too far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 aerosmith

Brilliant thread! AH!

I actually have an American Atari with junior console, original pads and about 30 games for sale if anyone is interested?

aerosmith wrote: »
    Brilliant thread! AH!

I actually have an American Atari with junior console, original pads and about 30 games for sale if anyone is interested?

Please put this up on Adverts, no selling on Boards, thanks.

Master of the Universe

Just totally kicked Ranger X's arse. Finished the game only losing two lives. Hoped to get through it on one but it was the first time I'd played some of those later levels and bosses. Ah well, not bad for a first proper run through :)

Such a fantastic underrated game. Some of the best visuals on the Megadrive by far.

If I was playing Lost In Shadows, I'd have to say, it's excellent.
    Plays like a platformer most of the time, although I have only scratched the surface.
    You are ascending the tower level by level, activating realworld devices to change the shadows, similarly altering certain light sources to do the same.
    It certainly looks the part and the music is straight from Ico's iPod.
    They are starting to add features now, and while the lack of a 3rd dimension to the gameplay means it is limited, and there is a certain simplicity to the real-world visuals, it is a fairly nice game.
    It has certainly distracted me from Metroid anyway!

Is Fragile Dreams worth "getting"?
    Retro, sounds like your cup of tea tbh

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is Fragile Dreams worth "getting"?
    Retro, sounds like your cup of tea tbh

Been looking to get fragile for a while and it does look like my cup of tea but nobody elses cup of tea! I heard its a great idea for a game but not a great game at all that's really repetitive and boring so I'd say you'd hate it.

Well, that'll save the servers overloading!
    Thanks for that!

A game I would recommend for the Wii is Klonoa. The PS1 game is a classic. I didn't realise the game was even released here and now that I'm looking for it it's sold out everywhere! I think this one might become a future rarity, the original commands a high price already.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

A game I would recommend for the Wii is Klonoa. The PS1 game is a classic. I didn't realise the game was even released here and now that I'm looking for it it's sold out everywhere! I think this one might become a future rarity, the original commands a high price already.

Just looking up the Wii version on ebay now. Only two copies. Is it a remake of the original?

Yeah it is, a supposedly a very good remake of an excellent game. I shouldn't be telling you guysit will be sold out by the time I've money for it! :P

I "have" it somewhere, must pick up a "real" copy, Gamestop are all linked so they can check the stock in all their stores of any game, so look for Klonoa in one and it'll ping, could be somewhere in westmeath mind you!

I kind of want to get it on the cheap though, I'm broke and can't justify 45 euros on a game when it was going for 12 sterlin on zavvi! I'm trying to get all the games I missed at the moment and thank god they are all cheap. Just trying to get the ones that have a chance of becoming rare first, FFXIII, mass effect 2 etc. can wait despite going for peanuts on most sites.

I'd thank you if I hadn't spent all my videogaming money already this week. Maybe you could work your magic againnext tuesday? :)

Master of the Universe

Nice one! Cant wait to give that a go :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    Nice one! Cant wait to give that a go :)

I hate you :(

Master of the Universe

Well I was going to offer you a lend, but now you can feck off! :p

• Advertisement

Seems to be a few french copies going for 20 euros so hopefully there's no klonoa black hole between now and tuesday :)

Advertisement