Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had a look for Klonoa today, guy in Smyths looked at me like I asked for the settings for the Large Hadron Collider, a look of panic followed by an inquiry made to a marginally older staff member who also knew nothing. :(
    The search continues!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've actually never seen a copy of it in the wild. Up until 2 days ago I thought it was a US and Jap only game until I searched for it on zavvi to chance my arm. I'm sure it wasn't as bad as when I asked some one in smyths if the had Ikaruga. I was halfway through it when I had a realisation that this wasn't going well and couldn't pronounce the name of the game under pressure. They were totally clueless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But sure wouldn't you be worried if they knew exactly what you were talking about! Might have to have a lie down if one engaged you in a conversation about Persona4!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd marry them. One of the gamestop Swords people started talking to me about shadow of the colossus last time I was there and I was complemented on my choice of Sin and Punishment 2 by the girl there so there is hope :)

I ordered 3D Dot Game Heroes from Zavvi and they haven't shipped it because it just got marked out of stock. I'll have to cancel it and get it some place else, there's no chance of that getting restocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

I remember heading into Game in Limerick back in the day. I went in to buy Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind for the Xbox. I was dreading asking any staff, because I knew there would be that moment of absolute confusion for a minute or two and he or she will think I'm an absolute nerd. So, I hatched a fiendish plan where I would write the title on a piece of paper and I read from it like I was asking about the game for someone else. Of course the only staffer free had to be the hottest chick there.

I read from the piece of paper; she smiled, said she knew the game and said it was all sold out - I think she knew though that or she liked me.

Walked down to HMV and they had it. It was sixty fucking euro, though. Cheap considering how many hours I eventually spent on it.

• Advertisement

The staff in Gamestop Santry are great, Ronan and Fiona know their stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Was playing Taito Legends 2 last night and earlier on.

Massive value for money with that, I really got stuck into playing some of the games. Was playing Elevator Action Returns which reminded me, just a little bit, of Metal Slug, and then Growl, Gekirindan and Football Champ.

I still haven't tried half of the other games on the disc, going to try get my hands on the first Taito Legends game as well if I can.

Played Mega Bomberman a bit also during the week, I quite like the game. I know it's like a diluted version of Bomberman 93 or is it Bomberman 94? But it's still a nice experience on your Mega Drive. It's quite a fun game, sure you've all been playing it before and ended up accidentally killing yourself in getting yourself into a tricky situation, good craic.

Still playing Advance Wars 2 on the GBA. I think I'm on the last continent in it, the missions definitely get a bit trickier.
    CiDeRmAn wrote:
    I "have" it somewhere, must pick up a "real" copy, Gamestop are all linked so they can check the stock in all their stores of any game, so look for Klonoa in one and it'll ping, could be somewhere in westmeath mind you!

It's quite good that they're stocks are all linked on the computer, but what they could really benefit from is being able to transfer the stock quickly between stores. What's the point of having X game over in Sligo when nobody wants to buy it but some shop in Wicklow has a few people looking for it?

When I ever went in and asked about stuff like that, they always told me they couldn't get it from the other shop, but I see no reason why deliveries can't pick up returns from the shops, drop 'em up to the warehouse and they get sent to the other shop from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd marry them. One of the gamestop Swords people started talking to me about shadow of the colossus last time I was there and I was complemented on my choice of Sin and Punishment 2 by the girl there so there is hope :)

I ordered 3D Dot Game Heroes from Zavvi and they haven't shipped it because it just got marked out of stock. I'll have to cancel it and get it some place else, there's no chance of that getting restocked.

I picked it up in HMV on grafton street a good while ago, think there were plenty of copies so wouldn't be surprised if there were still a couple there. Will have a look this morning as I'll be passing by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Just had a look there, didn't see any copies unfortunately. Display is all over the place order-wise though so may well be there somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭justbrian

Gamestop Swords. I am in a ps2 buying frenzy today.
    Check it out today if you want some fairly good ps2 games. I got MSG: snake eater and project zero 2 and Digitial devil sega there today. Mind you there was only 1 copy of each, but their ps2 stock is better than usual today.

Also went to Santry to check but nought, just kids and sports games.

• Advertisement

Augmerson wrote: »
    Was playing Taito Legends 2 last night and earlier on.

Massive value for money with that, I really got stuck into playing some of the games. Was playing Elevator Action Returns which reminded me, just a little bit, of Metal Slug, and then Growl, Gekirindan and Football Champ.

I still haven't tried half of the other games on the disc, going to try get my hands on the first Taito Legends game as well if I can.

Played Mega Bomberman a bit also during the week, I quite like the game. I know it's like a diluted version of Bomberman 93 or is it Bomberman 94? But it's still a nice experience on your Mega Drive. It's quite a fun game, sure you've all been playing it before and ended up accidentally killing yourself in getting yourself into a tricky situation, good craic.

Still playing Advance Wars 2 on the GBA. I think I'm on the last continent in it, the missions definitely get a bit trickier.

It's quite good that they're stocks are all linked on the computer, but what they could really benefit from is being able to transfer the stock quickly between stores. What's the point of having X game over in Sligo when nobody wants to buy it but some shop in Wicklow has a few people looking for it?

When I ever went in and asked about stuff like that, they always told me they couldn't get it from the other shop, but I see no reason why deliveries can't pick up returns from the shops, drop 'em up to the warehouse and they get sent to the other shop from there.

actually they used to do it, it involved shipping it back to the swords warehouse then shipping on to the store that requested but the whole system took too many man hours for little return. So they stopped, boo hiss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭justbrian

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    actually they used to do it, it involved shipping it back to the swords warehouse then shipping on to the store that requested but the whole system took too many man hours for little return. So they stopped, boo hiss!
    Swords warehouse huh? I live in swords... so that break in kit I just got will...

...Oh wait that was a dream.

Hmm, maybe I have said too much, my cover as a normal retro gamer is blown, my identity as a Gamestop stooge is apparent to all, well, at least it pays better than a retro gamer!

(actually, I am no longer a Gamestop employee, I was never one I don't think, the last time I worked there regularly it was still called Gamesworld, before the dark times, before the Empire!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A friend of mine dug his C64 out of the shed and amazingly enough it still works. Along with all the tapes.

So we're officially making tomorrow Commodore 64 day. Can't wait! :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    Can't wait! :)

Ho ho you will wait! 15 minutes at least for each game to load and that doesn't take into account multiloaders!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Arghhhhh :/

Just annoying when you find out a game you want is at a shop on the other side of the country and you have to get to it. So close, yet so far.

Worse is when the system says, yes, that copy of (insert rare game title here) is in Santry, so you drive there and lo and behold, "Ehh, what?, Ehh, I'll look, Ehh, no, can't find it, Ehh, hold on, there's the box, Ehh, no, the disk is missing, Ehh...., have you put a deposit on (insert EA game of choice here)"

True.
    Story.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

A friend of mine dug his C64 out of the shed and amazingly enough it still works. Along with all the tapes.

So we're officially making tomorrow Commodore 64 day. Can't wait! :)

Hopefully he has Track & Field, have a few 2 player games of that it's brilliant fun. Incredibly addictive trying to break your own records too. Your arm will be broken after a while mind. Remember using a quickshot joystick and it was torture, upgraded to a zipstick for some proper fast times. :pac:

Last Ninja is great too and my personal fav Usagi Yojimbo - samurai rabbit that could decapitate folk with a roundhouse chop! Lol feel like a senior citizen rambling on about the "good ole days". :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

I dig this out again for the c64 fans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

I dig this out again for the c64 fans

Good old flimbos quest is possibly the best platformer on C64 but if its sitting around waiting for each level to load all day then California Games is your only man god I loved that game even though you had to wait an eternity for it to load.
    Double Dragon 2 is also one of the finest titles on C64 aswell it will beat you down then make you wait till it loads some more then beat you down once more.......Good times :)

• Advertisement

Great technology for its time,considering the 64 came out in 82 and only died when commodore themselves went bust!.

I had my C64 all the way up until Christmas 1993 when my auntie felt sorry for me and gave my parents a megadrive. It sucked having a C64 and watching all the amazing megadrive and SNES games on Gamesmaster and in magazines but it had some damn fine games at the end of it's life, particularly from the Roland brothers.

I got my first C64 when I was in my nurse training!
    I had a Gameboy at launch, then I had a Speccy +3 for a month or two, then I got a cheap C64 and played some Roadblasters and Uridium on it, before taking the plunge and buying the Megadrive, the just launched Sonic bundle as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles are the games that make the system worth it.
    finally picked this up over the weekend , havent had a chance to play it yet though!

Master of the Universe

Picked up Panzer Dragoon over the weekend. It has just reminded me how much I miss Panzer Dragoon Saga and want my own copy!

Picked up Panzer Dragoon over the weekend. It has just reminded me how much I miss Panzer Dragoon Saga and want my own copy!

The original game? I think it's dated really badly and isn't that good. You should definitely pick up Panzer Dragoon Zwei though, it's absolutely superb and would be the best on the rails shooter if not for Orta. Regarding Orta, you simply have to play it. It brings closure to a few things in Saga!

Master of the Universe

Yep, the first one. Got it on ebay Ireland for pretty much nothing. It's dated but playable. If anything it's interesting to have a playthrough to see the development of the universe Saga was based on. The first level really reminds me of that PDS water level. (Was it The Ruins of Uru? I'm already starting to forget!)

Still trying to pick up a cheap xbox to play Orta. I'll get around to it one of these days.

Annoyingly enough, the guy who I bought Dragoon from also had more Saturn games for sale. He had one lot of four. It was just titled '4 sega saturn games'. One of them was a PAL Guardian Heroes. I forgot to bid. The lot sold for a fiver. ah! Not that I thought much of Guardian Heroes, but I'd like a copy all the same and it usually goes for 30-40.

Maybe if we gave Gaurdian Heroes enough time we'd like it but I just didn't see the appeal the few times I did play it.

Yep it's Ruins of Uru. Zwei ties in a lot more with Saga since it was developed alongside Saga.

Master of the Universe

I found the whole different plane thing highly irritating. It was just too slow jumping between them.

It is made by Treasure though...so I'm sure that's just me being a Philistine :pac:

Right so, looks like I'm off to ebay to pick up a copy of Zwei.

Ah! while we're on the Saturn, I just remembered something. Something most excellent. Andrew76 is dropping out Radiant Silvergun to me for a lend.

\O/

• Advertisement

You should be able to get Zwei cheap. Also one thing to note, Sega did a great PAL conversion of Zwei so it's full screen, full speed and even has a widescreen mode in the options.

As for radiant silvergun, don't believe the hype that the game has, not as good as people say it is. It's far far better!

As for radiant silvergun, don't believe the hype that the game has, not as good as people say it is. It's far far better!

objection%20court%20out%20of%20order%20lawyer%20attorney%20object.jpg

What's wrong, the bosses too hard for you??? Or are you one of those sicko's that actually likes R-type Final?

What's wrong, the bosses too hard for you??? Or are you one of those sicko's that actually likes R-type Final?

Its not that ground breaking,it does not glow,it does not cure diseases or raise the dead,its data on a cd thats stored and adored :)

Nope it doesn't break new ground just like Super Mario World and just like Super Mario World it does it's genre far better than any other game out there. (arguably)

Its all about design man!
    SMW was sublime, I don't think we will ever be treated to such a treat again.
    Gods, the Snes had some of the most, well, classic of games on it, games that will still be relevant in 60 years time, Zelda, Super Metroid, incredible games, as wonderfully crafted as Snow White or Cinderella for Disney.
    Lets hope, over the years, the desire to "remaster" them into 3D, or HD or whatever the new latest thing is, will be resisted. (Although, I could possibly be convinced in the merits of Zelda:LTTP rendered in 3D, Ocarina stylie on the 3DS, but I may have to be stoned at the time of convincing)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

/Boots up an official release of Radiant Silvergun.

Ooooh yeah :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I've been playing the Wii remake of Klonoa over the past few days, fuelled by the praise for it a couple of pages back. Fantastic game! It took me a while to get fully used to the control scheme, but it's a brilliant system. So simple, but there's great variety in how they base the levels around it. Extremely pretty artwork as well, especially in Visions 6-1 and 6-2 and the water levels.

Apparently the game got a little bit of criticism for being too easy, but if the reviewers in question had tried the Reverse Mode bonus levels I think they'd likely change their minds. I spent ages today trying to finish all 12 of those. Just look at this delicious platforming madness!

I'm trying to find all 150 Dream Stones in each level now, so I've still got a fair bit left to do. Can't wait to track down the second game afterwards. Apparently there's a chance Namco might port it to the Wii, and then make a totally new third game. I really hope they do, it would be a tragedy if the series' bizarrely poor sales stopped it from continuing.

See people, I do knwo what I'm talking about :P The story of Klonoais also surprsingly dark and yes there's a lot more challenge if you search out the secrets and collectibles.

Klonoa 2 is also excellent and cheap.

There's also a wonderswan game which is supposedly excellent, a GBA remake of that game which is fantastic and a sequel to that game on the GBA.

It's unfortunate it was criminally ignored.

I may be playing Halo Reach or something, so far so good, will have a proper go tomorrow.

Master of the Universe

I now have the Wii version of Klonoa and Andrew76 gave me a lend of the ps1 original.

Which to play first?! I'm interested in seeing how they compare.

• Advertisement

I have the original and the remake, I like the original, but only because I don't really like playing platformers with the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

Master of the Universe

Ah, is it only Wiimote/nunchuck controlled? No Gamecube controller option?

Be sticking with the ps1 version so. Worth owning the Wii one just to annoy Retr0 ;)

Ah, is it only Wiimote/nunchuck controlled? No Gamecube controller option?

The remake supports almost every controller configuration you could think of. :)

Master of the Universe

The remake supports almost every controller configuration you could think of. :)

Ah excellent! Thanks. :)

The idea of playing a platformer with a Nunchuck and Wiimote doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

Remake is the same as the PS1 but prettier.

Tbh the nunchuk and wiimote are pretty damn good for 2D games unless there's waggle involved. Better than the 360 controller for sure anyway.

Yeah, I've been playing through the remake using the nunchuck & remote and it actually works very well. You use the analogue stick to move, A to jump and B to grab/throw enemies. It feels quite natural seeing as the B button's a trigger, all three aspects of the controls are positioned at opposing parts of your hands.

And there's no waggle involved other than this completely optional move you'll never have to use. Though you can even turn off the motion sensor controls and map that move more conventionally. They thought of everything!

I've no money to buy it this week! I shouldhave kept my money until it was ordered!

Well, I have the PS and Wii versions and I did have a little go of the HDD installed Wii edition the other night and it did seem like a lot of fun, and now that I know the Wavebird or Classic will work, I'll get back to it sometime for sure.

All we need is a Tombi 1 and 2 Wii re-release (hard to say).

Nahwho am I kidding. I'd still want Megaman Legends 1 and 2, The misadventures of Tron Bonne, Tail Concerto and probably a few other obscurities!

Up checking if everything is working in the gamesroom, ended up playing the following, Vigilante on the turbografx, guitar on the md, darius gaiden, radiant silvergun, dodonpachi on the Saturn

• Advertisement
Advertisement