Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm more baffled that the game was complete and reviews were published and yet it got pulled from release. You'd think they'd just release it anyway since all the work and had already gone into it including advertising.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finished the kitchen god dungeon of shiren's post game. Very interesting dungeon. You start with a knife that will randomly turn an enemy into a piece of meat. Eating this meat is the only way to replenish hunger in these dungeons and will also turn you into the enemies whose flesh it is.

It's a neat survival twist on the main gameplay where you have to really keep your hunger topped up but also exploit the enemy abilities. My tactic for the final few levels was to use one of the pumpkin enemies who can attack from walls and not suffer any retaliation and can also clip through any barrier. Made the final few floors trivial.

Then I almost screwed myself over. Found the npc that would give me an item and end the dungeon. My inventory was full so I ate the first enemy meat I had. Unfortunately when you eat enemy meat your character will attack automatically with their special attack on that turn. So I had eaten tank meat and sent an artillery shell at this npc who then aggroed. Luckily they respawned on the next floor and forgot about the artillery shell to the face.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

So I've 4 dungeons left of Shiren. One is a 99 floor nightmare where nothing is identified. Got to floor 10 on that, it's nasty.

The other 3 you can bring your levels and weapons into them and I get wiped by the second floor. To beat them you have to grind and make weapons to even last on them and even at that theres no guarantee you will not get screwed over by nastiness and bad luck and lose those weapons.

So I decided to bring my good weapons to the second storehouse to make a start on weapon grinding and got ganked on the beginning stages and lost everything...

I'll see how weapon grinding goes but I might put the game down if it's a chore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Came across Pokemon Crystal Legacy recently, it's a romhack of the original Crystal that emphasizes rebalancing the game and filling with various QoL features. So far, so good. It's challenging without getting unfair, never mind reaching Kaizo territory, and the selection of monsters has been expanded earlier into the game so you've more tools to play with re: team building and such.

You'll need it as well, as the AI's gotten a bit of a buff (actual behaviour hasn't been modified, only the moves they have access to at any given time) that'll actively look for holes in your game rather than spam the same two moves while you sweep their team. You can find yourself suddenly on the ropes cause you thought a random battle would be cakewalk.

Would recommend it to anyone looking to try OG Johto that's been refined to the best version of itself.

Me two days ago: think I'm done here if grinding up a better weapon and shield is how to progress in Shiren.

Me yesterday: grinding up a better weapon and shield in this game is so much fun!

There's actually a lot to grinding up weapons but the most fun is abusing the shop that sells pots.

Pots in the game are used for many things, mostly for storing items and increasing your inventory space, but some have special properties. The one you really need is the super rare and expensive melding pot.

There's shop that sells pots and you can really abuse it to make money, putting junk in jars that changes them to more valuable items. But if you play your cards right, you can steal melding jars from the shop. Of course when you exit the shop you will be set upon by police and their dogs and have no way or beating them. But you can stun them and hit them with status effects and once you return to the town your crime is forgotten.

• Advertisement

How come you get on so well with something like Shiren, but bounced off something like Binding of Isaac?

Well in fairness I didn't give Isaac that much time. I kind of found the twin stick combat lacked some audio visual feedback. Like the attacks were weak.

I have played some rogue-lites like Isaac and have enjoyed them but they do play a little differently from an actual rogue-like such Shiren. There's a whole lot of narrative built into Shiren just from the interactions of the gameplay systems which makes it a lot of fun.

I would like to go back to Isaac but the insane amount of hours people put into it scares me off. Saying that I thought Shiren would be a short game and I'm just north of 40 hours into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,203 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

To this day I literally have the exact same problem with Isaac. Can see its a good game and have put a few hours into it, but the pathetic 'pew' 'pew' weapon had always been a difficult thing to get past.

It's just his basic weapon, it modifies depending on your build. There's also characters like Azazel that rock a death laser as standard, if that goes any ways to convincing the pair of you.

I constructed a pretty bad ass sword and shield in Shiren. Didn't get all the special abilities on them but got enough and a few of them aren't even available other than the far reaches of some of the tougher dungeons. I went into the 30 floor Ceremonial cave dungeon and absolutely bodied it. The final boss was fun but couldn't keep up with my damage output.

I then decided to take on the Tainted Path dungeon. This is continues on the main quest dungeon from its final floor of 30 and extends it to 99.

Started off relatively easy. Then around the 40 hour mark it gets a lot hairier. I can wipe most enemies out in one hit and they can only do 1 HP damage but the enemy designs are such that you can't be too confident.

The gaze enemies are still present that can hypnotise you to carry out a random action and can trap you in a long loop of this. You could end up throwing your equipment and losing it so these guys are very dangerous.

There's also these little Mandrake looking plant guys. These just poison you in the base game which reduces you strength stat permanently unless you have an antidote handy in the next few turns. In the later dungeons they will put you to sleep and then try to confuse and poison you multiple times. I got caught a few times by these. One poisoned me 6 times which lowered my strength to less than half but I had an antidote handy. Sleep is a minor inconvenience but in these later dungeons it can be a death sentence. There's also mage enemies that are annoying at low levels up at high levels they can also put you to sleep. They also have the ability to drain levels from you. Even worse is they can turn you into a riceball. This means you can't use items and bonuses from equipped weapons and armour are negated for 10 turns. This is absolutely lethal if any other enemies are around and you are asleep and have basically my Defense buff from a shield.

There's also the danger of enemies that can slap your sword or shield straight out of your hands. These only appeared on one floor near the end of the main game but are common here. At least it means you are scrambling after your sword or shield you put hours into levelling up. At worst they can slap it into an abyss and it's gone forever.

So far I've been lucky and gotten all the was to floor 74 before taking a break. However things have gotten very dicey size the 60th floor. These floors introduce high level dragons that can breath fire at you from anywhere as long as you are in the same room as them. Their fire breath does fire damage which ignores a lot of your shield Defensive buffs and it's therefore one of the few attacks that can trouble my Defense and does about 10% of my health in one hit. Now this is perfectly manageable in the usual small areas the game takes place in but some levels are giant rooms while every 10th floor is a boss fight in a massive roo. With no walls. If there's multiple dragons you will take multiple hits before you can even get to them. Your best bet is to get the hell out of there. These guys are giving me massive trouble and I've only survived by using a scroll to confuse every enemy in the room and running for the exit.

I looked at what other nightmares are ahead and it seems that the final 10 floors have the maximum level dragons that can hot you from anywhere on the floor.... Even through walls. So I guess I've 14 floors to prepare for these guys and come up with a strategy to get past them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I completely forgot I had a lifetime license(pre Annual sub) for Retrox. So after a little bit of PSX GTA1 & 2 I'm on the hunt for a Tenchu rom and I'll be disappearing with my phone and Kishi RAZR for a few hours 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Don't forget 'Bushido Blade' :D tbh a short game but still stands out from the PS1 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I actually completely forgot about that game! The auld shnakey strike will your opponent is bowing 🤣

It is short iirc but, mastering the blade to get a good run into the game took time

Master of the Universe

Bushido Blade is one of those games I've been meaning to play since it was released. Don't know how I've gone 27 years without ever giving it a go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Unsure if I've played Bushido Blade 2, but from checking there seems to be more recient games like it - 'Die By The Blade' or 'Hellish Quart!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Picked a minty copy of Bushido Blade up in CEX earlier this year for less than 20 euro. In the 90s I was disappointed it wasn't Soul Blade, these days I appreciate it a lot more for what it is and how unique it remains.

They screwed up Bushido blade 2. It feels different than the first game and nowhere near as much fun.

Think I'm done with Shiren. 67 hours in, Ive beaten all the dungeons other than the true rogue like dungeon Fay's final puzzle. Had a few goes of it last night and only got as far as floor 6 of 99 at best. I see that a full run takes over 5 hours. Absolutely adore the game and could play that rogue dungeon forever but time to move on.

Master of the Universe

I think that's probably enough of that alright 😁

What I do these days is I try to play the main quest of a game, do a few side quests if I'm enjoying them but try to keep it as concise really as I can. I remember years ago you saying how short games can be great too (citing Panzer Dragoon Saga) and I reckon you can apply the same logic to a lot of games if you axe much of the filler.

I'm almost done now with Rent a Hero but could probably milk another 5 hours out of it if I started doing all the menial fetch type quests. Would rather avoid that type of thing and just keep it to the main story.

• Advertisement

I try to do that but sometimes I really love getting into the meta post game of RPGs and doing post game megabosses so often doesn't work out that way.

Shiren is kind of different though. I heard it say that the Mystery Dungeon games don't really begin until the post game and it was very true here. There's a massive amounts of content in the post game and it's all a huge amount of fun and honestly makes the game so much better. The new mechanics, enemies and items add are a real game changer. I'm glad I finished it all and I gave that rogue dungeon an honest go but it takes serious dedication to get through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

I've a mental block with side quests and filler. I know there's some examples of how they can be great, but for as long as I can remember, I've only ever been interested in the main narrative of a game.

As a result, trophies and unlocking achievements is something completely lost on me....zero interest.

Oh trophies and achievements have no interest for me. They were relevant to me for precisely two games, dead rising and geometry wars 2 nd in both games they were suggestions about how the player could have fun with games systems.

Shiren though is different. I would say that the main quest is a teaser for the post game content which is where the real game is. It just gets you ready for all the post game content. You're really missing out on not playing it and it's what turns a great game into one of the best games I've played.

Super Star Wars - Made it to the the Death Star Hangar Bay....before the end of level boss schooled me. I was stuck on the inside of the Sand Crawler level for ages, but once you beat that, you can go on a bit of a run.

Fun, if not punishing game.

Edit - it was actually the Escape from Mos Eisely end of level boss, not the Death Star one.

Post edited by Inviere on

I find those games have lost a bit of their charm. The soundtracks still sound great through the SNES but it has that weird US jank game design where you kind of have to tank hits and it's made up for by health being so generous. It is however one of the best US jank games. Some stages are waaaaaay too long and a bit airplane hangar design wise.

I really haven't properly revisited them since they were current, so my rose tinted glasses here are quite tinted admittedly. They do indeed sound amazing. They obviously only very loosely follow the story, but it's OK, they've done well to make an action platformer out of it.

Gameplay wise, they're pretty unforgiving. There's a lot of re-gen health available, so it sort of balances things...but they're still frustratingly difficult. Some of the stages are quite long, with persistently spawning enemies too, it never slows down.

Level wise, yeah, it's a bit hit and miss. I'm not at all fond of the Mode7 levels, certainly in the first entry anyway. There's a lot of action platforming while shooting, and the controls and timing took a while a click for me too.

Not sure I'll be able to finish it, I'll certainly keep plugging away on Easy anyway and see how far I can go.

Iirc the first game is shorter than you expect. They are kind of games of their time, they remind me of the Dave Perry games a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭Worztron

Berzerk on the C64 emulator, VICE. https://www.lemon64.com/game/berzerk

Post edited by Worztron on

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think I have carts of them all, including the Indiana Jones title, but they are built to a template and you are seldom surprised at what's going to happen.

Even with cheats, the games can be a slog, and so not that enjoyable.

But the music, a staple of the PC game output, is fantastic on the SNES.

• Advertisement

The Indiana Jones game is really rough. It was a different Dev team than the star wars ones.

Advertisement