Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

1331332333334335337»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The 3D remake of Rondo of Blood looks crappy but it's actually a better game than the original. It adds some new stuff to the game. There's a new boss for the bad ending. Dracula was a bit of a push over in the original so he has a new phase that makes him a much better boss fight. Also Stage 5' was very much unfinished in the original so the one in the 3D remake is brand new with a new boss and it's a real challenge.

SotN PSP version is actually very good other than the 'improved' script and translation. You get to pick Richter from the start but also maria who was previously exclusive to the Saturn.

And Dracula x on the SNES.... Play on a platform with save states. The final boss is dick move central.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was listening to Jeremy parish talk about Marathon Infinity so I decided to start Marathon 2 Durandal. It's a pretty decent shooter that in someways is better than shooters of its time and in others, not so much. The level design is great and a big improvement on the first game. The art has been tidied up as well although it still feels a big amateur compared to contemporaries. The story is really interesting with some great writing and it's interesting to see some of the new designs in this game and how they carried over to Halo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

When I played Air (Ace) Combat on the Playstation, back in the day, the recommendation was to play it in hard mode.
    Not only did the controls become more simulator like, but the game levels themselves were more populated with targets, and smarter ones at that.
    I have the original trilogy on the PS, the 3rd one leaned into the science fiction, Electrosphere, but it was a very nice use of the systems power, as were most late Namco titles for the PS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Pushing the boundaries of retro as it was the remake, but I finished Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door just now. 40 hours and 35 of it was excellent. The remaining 5 was a bit of a slog. I really blitzed the game for a while and was just so burned out by it that it took me more calendar time to do the last 5 hours than the rest.

I THINK I enjoyed the Wii game more.

Next up, I was thinking of something on the Megadrive. Phantasy Star IV perhaps.

Played a lot of Klonoa 2 last night. Fantastic game. The level design is exceptional and there's some amazing set pieces. There's a chase through a burning town which looked incredible and the last level I played last night was a stage that used mirror effects in really interesting ways. It looked insane for a PS2 game. Can't recommend it enough.

You do know that electosphere was completely bastardized for the Western release. The japanese version is a two disc game with a movie cutscenes and branching paths. They removed the story, branching paths and half the stages for the Western release. There's a fan translation of the japanese release that's worth playing.

I bounced off paper Mario 2 myself on GameCube. The battle system is fun but it can't sustain itself for the run time of the game, it worked better in the previous two games due to their brevity.

I'd highly recommend PS4. It's a lot of fun and looks and sounds incredible and I can't help thinking some people at squaresoft played it as it feels they ripped a lot of it off in FF7.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll be buying a Japanese copy of it so!

At least to have, while I play it proper via the translation you mention

Advertisement