Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oblivion - it was OK, and I was playing it with only minor enthusiasm. Mechanics frustrated as much as they impressed. But one day I checked the playtime and I was at like 120 hours :eek: Still have no idea how I spent that time. Mostly hiding in shadows and waiting so my health would recharge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭megaten

I loved morrowind, wasn't a big fan of Oblivion. I don't really want to go round a 80km world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I'm playing Putty on my Amiga

I'm playing Crystal Kingdom Dizzy on my Spectrum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Super Street Fighter 2 on SNES.

Bit of a letdown after Turbo. Ruined the music, I mean Kens sage is just not at all enjoyable now, new announcer, getting perfect just not worth i anymore and the graphics aren't that much better, I know its the same console and all that but it just underwhelms.

And it's a slow as a really slow thing. After turbo it's nearly unplayable. I know theres a Super STreet Fighter 2 turbo but its not on SNES only Saturn. is that right?

Also liking Evermore but prefer Secret of Mana. Solely for the music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm currently breaking one of my rules (!) playing multiple games at once. It's mainly down to figuring out how to get the oul debug ps2 going.

So on the ps2 -

Persona 4 - fantastic! wish I had more hours in the day to play this. Oddly enough, I actually like the OC-ish American dub for once.

We Love Katamari - I can't get over how many things in this game can be moved/stick to your Katamari. It's crazy. You go towards a house, think you're going to stop - but no, it comes apart piece by piece. Really impressive for the ps2.

Raiden 3 - Finally managed to get this going last night. Wasn't expecting much after they made one of my favourite gaming franchises 3d instead of 2d...but wanted to give it a go out of curiosity. It's a good game! hurrah!

Manhunt 2 beta - I've played through a hacked version on the PSP which got rid of the censorship, but there was still some of the more extreme stuff left out. So I thought I'd give the proper beta a run through. Some of the executions are truely gut wrenching. Which is impressive given how much the engine has aged.

I still haven't gone back to Silent Hill 2. It makes Manhunt 2 seem like something for children. I've never had a game put me on such a downer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think Persona 4's american dub is fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

Rouge Squadron!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Megaman x2. Music not bad but can't beat intro to megaman 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

have I just gotten retarded or was Rogue Squadron always this hard?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Twas a whore alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Does the fact it's set in 1947 count as retro?

Bought this on Sunday at Stansted Airport HMV for the cheeky sum of £33.33 (VAT free), got a DLC token and a copy of LA Confidential on Blu Ray for free with it.

Absolutely fallen in love with this game. It's brilliant.

I now can't stop listening to this:

...while doing my own narration over the top of it in a Private Dick voice. (best read with the YouTube link on in the background)

"It was a Thursday afternoon, the ceaseless rain still smothered the skyline of the city. The blinking neon MOTEL sign filtered through the blinds of my office window, flooding my office with it's vibrant blood red colouring. There was a tap on my window, I looked up, turned it on and had a drink..."

...and so on. :DPossibly my favourite R* game ever. There, I said it. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

At the minute, I'm going modern with a retro twist...

Gradius Collection on the PSP.

and

NBA Jam on the PS3, I loved that game as a kid... I don't know if it's as good but I sit down to play a quick game and get up an hour later so I guess that's a good sign!?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

At the minute, I'm going modern with a retro twist...

Gradius Collection on the PSP.

Dipping in and out of Parodius Collection on PSP - nice to have the games in one place, but alas the controls are just that little bit too unresponsive at times. Still, gotta love the oddness!

Still slowly working through Majora's Mask in between LA Noire sessions. MM might be the most fiendish Zelda ever conceived - it's really quite taxing. Anyone who thinks the Water Temple was hard should try the ones in MM where you're racing against the clock as well! I'd be lying if I didn't admit the weird time system didn't get to me at times - especially all those heart pieces that require you to work through a whole three day cycle - but mostly spectacularly designed and unlike any other game, Zelda or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cots1

Currently playing Warioland on gameboy, is it wrong to like wario games more than mario ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Just after leaving a very old and dodgy looking arcade in Mito, Japan. The place was a mess and with some very dodgy dudes indeed (lot's of middle age women dressed as school girls etc, which always freaks me out a bit)

Was worth it though as I spent about an hour on an old Radiant Silvergun machine :D

I love that game and don't get to play it on a real arcade machine very often at all.

Now back to the hotel for some dinner and then back to Tokyo in the morning and a bit of shopping in Akihabara as I have the day off from work :D:D:D

• Advertisement

On a side note, I'm having lots of problems connecting to boards.ie from Mito.

It's quicker to connect to my PC at home with Logmein and browse from there than it is to connect using my hotel bband or even my Vodafone data plan.

Weird!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm playing Super Mario DS on my 3DS.
    For some reason the Circle Pad is perfectly functional and, aside from pressing the run button to, well, run, you now have proper analog control over the diminutive plumber and his mates, solving one the outstanding issues many had with the conversion, namely the use of both d-pad and screen pressing for movement.

Oh I thought it was perfectly functional as well. Wait until it becomes physically painful and really annoying later on though when you change back to d-pad. Also the controls are the least of the worries with the game and more the game killing bugs that will stop you seeing most of the extra content and getting all the stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Just for the driving section,foward to 0.51-

Have decided to give Persona 1 another go (PSP version), and around three hours in I'm much more favourable than I was first time around. The random battles are the one hurdle to overcome - the one distinctly retro element of the game. It's a frustration to navigate (especially in the weird 1st person view that the dungeons are presented in) and treasure hunt.

However, otherwise it's a very unique game indeed. The actual battle system is great, although keep meaning to turn off the persona animations. Being able to converse with enemies to either scare them away, inflict status effects or ideally get special items is a fun mechanic. The story is weird and unique.

I miss the dating sim stuff (sniff), and it shows its age - but it's still a compelling, peculiar and very original game.

And the Shoji Meguro soundtrack is beyond catchy:

• Advertisement

After slogging through Shin Megami Tensei which is as pure a dungeon crawler as you can get the genre has really clicked with me. You don't go into these games expecting an easy ride like Final Fantasy or it's ilk. the game is all about the battle system and a big element is surviving until the next save point to get a breather. It's a different sort of game and certainly not for everyone. I fell people that didn't really like Persona 1 are too accustomed to P3 and P4 which really mixed the sensibilities of the original SMT games and more popular JRPGs and did so excellently. People dabbling in the rest of the series outside these two games don't realise how much of a pure RPG experience the SMT series is and get scared off. P3 and P4 are tough games but the rest of the SMT series is absolutely brutal. It's a different type of game and takes a while to acclimatise to it. It's got more in common with western RPGs like Ultima, wizardry or Dungeon Master than JRPGs. Theyeven have you making moral choices during the game that actual matter. There's less than in a Bioware game but I feel they are much better handled than Bioware. It's all shades of grey whereas Bioware it's a black or white choice.

However if it does click then it will open your eyes to the purer RPG games like the orginal Phantasy Star games and stuff like Etrian Odyssey. There's a whole heap of fantastic games out there like this they just aren't mainstream and never will. If it clicks with you you're in for a lot of fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'm looking for some sailors.

Currently working my way through Shenmue :) I was doing fine until my DC decided to freeze before I saved :mad:

Played some Rez last night and finished it. The final stage is a work of art. Can't wait for Child of Eden.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Played some Rez last night and finished it. The final stage is a work of art. Can't wait for Child of Eden.

Have you played the beta yet? I think o1s1n recommended it to me. It's pretty great :)

Played a bit of it but it had some annoying code thing obscuring most of the screen. Mush prefer the original games music as well.

I figured out how to get rid of that....but I don't remember what I pressed. Never played the original Rez :(

I figured out how to get rid of that....but I don't remember what I pressed. Never played the original Rez :(

Sort that out! It's amazing, even more so with the HD version.

Yeah it's one game I'd say looks amazing in HD.

Rez is the game HD is made for!

I feel morally obliged to buy Child of Eden on day one.

Rez is the game HD is made for!

I feel morally obliged to buy Child of Eden on day one.

I played the original version last night as well to see and there's not a lot other than the HD version being in widescreen. Most people think there's a massive difference between HD and composite but the jump from RGB to HD really isn't that massive. Still Rez definitely should be experineced in HD.

• Advertisement

Playing some Disposable Hero on the CD32, hooked up to a nice Commodore monitor.

The game still looks fairly decent if you ask me and the music fits well with the gameplay.

Had a go of Raystorm PS1 last night - man, it's a pretty tricky shmup! Maybe it's just the low res graphics (yeh, blaming the graphics - boo me :() but can never spot the bullets amongst the background explosions. The mechanics are kick ass, but need more practice! My credit allowance was used up distressingly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Playing Braid, Call of Duty 2, No One Lives Forever and I would be playing the recently bought Matsuno's Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together if I had a working PSP.

Braid is simulatanouesly the most complex and brilliantly-designed puzzle and the most average of game experiences and game mechanics and in places, the writing is comparable to when you're fourteen, and you discover Yeats' or Elliot's poetry and attempt to copy it. Call of Duty 2 and No One Lives Forever are still decent above-average First-Person Shooters.

I'll be moving on to Outcast and Far Cry 2 next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Spent the morning playing EDF 2017. What a fantastic game!

If you have the means to play the previous game Global Defence Force you should. It's even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭OniKen

Broke out power stone on the dream cast this morning, I was playing super mario Bros on the NES last night though haha

Master of the Universe

With the bank holiday yesterday I had a good few hours to sit down with Persona 4. Managed to get about 10 hours in. Still feels like I'm only scratching the surface, but so far I can tell it'll be up there in my favourite games ever. The battle system is brilliant and I'm absolutely loving creating Personas.

The relationship building aspect (I refuse to call it dating! :pac:) is unlike anything I've really played before. But it works. Oh how it works! Trying to decide whether to go dungeon crawling after school or hang out with some geeky music students is always a dilemma.

One thing I really like about this is the battles always seem to keep your on your toes. There have been multiple occasions where I've been killed trying to level up against what I thought were easy enemies.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Shin Megami Tensei. You can put down those final fantasy kids toys now :P

Master of the Universe

/mumble mumble Final Fantasy VII mumble

It's nice playing an RPG based in the real world. Reminds me that I need to get back to Earthbound.

• Advertisement

You kind of have to stick with earthbound a bit. There was a guy going off on one about how archaic it was on HG101. It eventually transpired that the guy thought the game had a one man battle system because he never got toofar into the game. Also it all comes together in the end. It's not immediately apparent what the game is about because of how surreal it all is. Even then the game is more about the emotion it evokes than some convoluted story.

And just to add, Persona 4 is a far far better game than FFVII could ever hope to be. It has Teddy!

Master of the Universe

I wonder is Earthbound available on the 3ds virtual console? Might be an interesting way to play through it.

Although gah, it'd probably be 50hz wouldnt it :(

I'm convinced Teddy is some weird sexual predator. The S&M type zip, creepy comments towards Yukiko, hanging out with kids....where are you Chris Hansen?!

Earthbound won't ever get released on a virtual console or at least it's very unlikely. Also it would be in 60Hz since it never got a PAL release.

The guys at starmen.net have inside information from nintendo that they really wanted to bring earthbound to the virtual console but a chat with their lawyers about all the pop culture references told them that bringing it to virtual console would be too much hassle and cost too much money which is unfortunate.

Master of the Universe

Ah bugger, so like PDS, it really falls into the 'never to be released again' category!

You really want pds dont you :confused:

Yes unfortunately. I'd really like more people to experience these games but it probably won't happen. Really annoying about PDS, there's so many companies that just don't look after their source code. It's like if MGM released Casablanca on VHS and then burnt all the original film reels.

• Advertisement

You really want pds dont you :confused:

Should be easy to find for 20 euro, sure that's what I got it for :P

its only a game,a block of platinum or scrap metal at its current rate be worth more than it,baffled to be treated like a god to own it confused.gif

Master of the Universe

Yes unfortunately. I'd really like more people to experience these games but it probably won't happen. Really annoying about PDS, there's so many companies that just don't look after their source code. It's like if MGM released Casablanca on VHS and then burnt all the original film reels.

That's a really good way of putting it! Why games aren't archived with the same care as film I'll never know. It makes me sad :(
    its only a game,a block of platinum or scrap metal at its current rate be worth more than it,baffled to be treated like a god to own it confused.gif

It's not that at all. PDS one of the best games ever made. It's also in my top 5 games ever made. Therefore I want to own the original game.

There are some games I've bought purely for collectability, I'll fully admit that. PDS is not one of them. I just love that game.

And again, cheers for the lend Retr0, would have missed out on a classic if it wasn't for yourself!

Booted up Ys 1 and 2 Chronicles last night. It's my first Ys game and I ust say it's really good fun. The battle system is excellent. Instead of pressing an attack button you jus bump into enemies to do damage but the trick is you have to bump into them slightly off centre to not damage yourself. When you walk into a new area you'll have loads of trouble with the enemies. However once you level up one level or get a new piece of equipment the enemies are a breeze and you are literally mowing straight through them. It's simple and more fun than it sounds.The music and visuals are excellent.

Booted up Ys 1 and 2 Chronicles last night. It's my first Ys game...

Thought you'd played the (absurdly underrated and underplayed) Ys Seven as well?

Ordered a copy of the collectors edition of Ys The Oath in Felghana myself since it was on sale on vgplus. Has shipped so looking forward to it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement