Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not really although I imagine it's worse with a 3D effect. Nothing worse than playing the PSP on the bus or train and having your big fat head glaring back at you being more visible than what's happening in Valkyria Chronicles 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The shine is doing two different things here.

For a 2D game it's obscuring your view.

For 3D it's not just obscuring your view - it's that it stops the 3D effect actually working properly. If I turn the 3D off I can see the game fine.

As I'm sure you well know, the 3D works stereoscopically with two images. To get the sweet spot, you have to have both the images working together. If you throw in a reflection your eyes can't see the image properly and you end up with double vision.

I think all handhelds should come with a parasol attachment. Problem solved :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

o1s1n wrote: »
    Anyone playing OOT 3D at the moment? I sunk a good few hours into it last night. It's a joy. The controls are very well put together and the 3D really works great.

I was never a big fan of 3rd person platforming due to trying to judge distances you're jumping towards. With the 3D on it just feels right.

Yes daily, 3D works really well on it.
    Didn't own an N64 back in the day and had only played OoT a few times briefly, glad now because it's brilliant and it's like having a brand new game:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a very easy solution to that problem though. Buy a Virtual Boy.

Master of the Universe

You should make a head mount for that thing. I can't see it being very difficult to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

its a fragile yoke,and its not rgb *oh whatever....

Master of the Universe

Sitting in a chair with a VB strapped to your head would probably be safer for it (and your back!) than slouching down to a tripod.

I'm going to tape the thing to my head and play it in public. I'll look like the guys from daft punk.... in other words awesome.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    I think all handhelds should come with a parasol attachment. Problem solved :pac:

Seems all you need is a jumper! :pac:

2414194397_9a484b1d75.jpeg?w=385&h=200

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Honestly don't want to know what's going on under that jumper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Nice one Andrew76 for the youtube fix

I'm not 100% on how to post youtube videos but I saw this over on cinemassacre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcgDgNriQ4s&feature=player_embedded

Just stick the bcgDgNriQ4s bit inside youtube tags. Looks pretty cool that cabinet alright. Retr0 could get one and put casters on it and wheel it down the street looking "awesome". :)

They see me rollin'
    They hatin'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've realised that if anything is named Persona (my favourite game series, my favourite film of all time) or Ys (awesome game series, my favourite album of all time) I am more than likely going to become obsessed with it - except the Persona album by Queen Latifah, which I'm guessing I wouldn't enjoy.

Loving Ys: Oath in Felghana at the moment - surprisingly difficult, but has some of the most enjoyable grinding around due to a clever combo based exp system (your exp multiplier increases by .01% per attack up to a maximum of 99). It keeps you moving and on your toes. Actually almost a distinctly Zelda / Metroid vibe to the series too, with new items opening up new passageways and paths. Music's great, the voice acting OK but colourful. Really is a shame this series isn't better known in the West, because it's ****ing great stuff altogether.

• Advertisement

Ys really is fantastic. Absolutely loving Ys 1 and 2. Must check out the other Falcom series as well becasue they've a big following on HG101 and they swear by them over there.

I've just been looking up the original games and not what I expected :pac: Ys III is 2D! I had been wondering how they managed such speedy combat in ye olden days of the SNES and PC Engine :P

Really want to get my hands on some of the originals now. Apparently I and II are on virtual console, I'd imagine in original form. Probably will pick up the PSP collection too though.

Also, how bitchin' is this cover? It's almost Mega Man quality!

ys3-genesis.jpg

Oath in Felghana is a remake of the third game. The third game is the black sheep in the Ys series since it was side on. It's regarded as not being a bad game but just not up to the rest in the series. It has one of the best stories though and music which is why Falcom choose to remake it as a classic Ys game with oath in felghana.

Ys books 1 and 2 are available on the VC, it was the TG16 Super CDroms original killer app. It's actually another remake of Ys 1 and 2. Ys one and two originally appeared across a load of 8-bit consoles and japanese home computers. The PSP version is the one to get since it's regarded as the definitive edition. Along with Ys 7 there's Ys 6 Ark of Naphtism (sp?) on PS2 and PSP. That leave Ys 4 and 5 unlocalised. There's actually 2 versions of Ys 4, one by Falcom and one by Hudson which is noncanonical but supposedly even better than the Falcom version. Unfortunately we'll never see the Hudson one localised and probably won't see the other 2 unless they get remade. As usual the best place for information on the series is the HG101 article.

It seems like a tough series to keep track of tbh :pac: Games on all consoles / formats, countless remakes (Ys III seems to have a crazy amount of editions - PS2 one looks mad). Will definitely get around to I and II soon, they're the kind of game that jump straight up the backlog whenever I invest in one. Ys Seven saw me through many a bullet train journey - really addicting game altogether.

And as for music, this is win:

Falcom have been know for awesome music since the beginning. Yuzo Koshiro used to do a lot of work for them. They were the first videogame company to do soundtrack CDs.

I've started Dragon Quest 9. Ah DQ, you're what FF wishes it could be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

THUG 2, you can't beat it.

Since I was 13, there has been nothing more relaxing than booting up the PS2 and skating your worries away around the school or the airport in free skate mode.

Fbjm wrote: »
    THUG 2, you can't beat it.

Since I was 13, there has been nothing more relaxing than booting up the PS2 and skating your worries away around the school or the airport in free skate mode.

Tony Hawks Underground 2?!

Kill it with fire!!!!

I'm sorry, but Underground's when the series went from good to bad. It still had the core gameplay, but its obsession with Jackass culture and 'celebrity' cameos was the undoing of the purity the series was built on. It was a process that had begun with four (still a great game, but the point when it started seriously jumping sharks) and Underground was the culmination of all that was bad about the series.

RIP Tony Hawks Pro Skater. 1999-2002

Tony Hawks died after TH3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

I hated classic mode. For me it was always just about skating around without having to worry about timers or objectives. Nothing more relaxing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I don't know, I like (love?) Ocarina and all but fundamentally it's still the same game with a coat of paint. A system seller it is not, given that I have various other formats I could play the game in right now if I wanted to with none of the expense.

Nintendo's sales pitch over the last few years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I loved the one on the DC, I think it was the second one, ollying over the helicopter.
    Aside from that the only XTREMMMEEEE games I enjoyed would have been SSX and the Jet Set Radio games.`
    Playing the Mario Galaxy games again, can't believe I never got around to finishing those!
    Fired up Brothers In Arms for the 360 as well, forgot what a great game it was, played and finished the first one on the original Xbox, always liked the pace of the games, fighting from house to house, through streets, watching your flank and back...

EnterNow wrote: »
    Nintendo's sales pitch over the last few years.

Hahahahahah brilliant! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Was playing RE3 last night. About 2% of the game is a direct rip from RE2. The part's in the station, even the music are the exact same, with minor differences in certain areas being blocked off - which are somehow unblocked by the time Claire and Leon show up later on in RE2.

Wut.

RE3 was meant to be an RE2 expansion disc originally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    RE3 was meant to be an RE2 expansion disc originally.

I'd never heard about that :o

• Advertisement

If was only very early in development. The game got huge and capcom decided it was worth a full release. Don't worry, hadn't heard about it myself until recently.

Fbjm wrote: »
    I hated classic mode. For me it was always just about skating around without having to worry about timers or objectives. Nothing more relaxing :)

But Tony Hawks was designed as a pure score attack based game, and there's few 3D games like it as a result. Free roam is nice and all, but TH was never able to implement it as smoothly as they should have. Instead, the joy was trying to succeed within the two minutes they give you. Do you go for the tape, the SKATE letters, the secret areas or the grind spots? All in 120 seconds, and all with the core goal of racking the number on top of the screen as far as you can go. That purity, giving you decent sized arenas you needed to memorise to truly utilise, was what the later entries in the series lack, and indeed seemed like a mere side mode compared to the Jakkass posturing.

Whatever floats one's boat I guess, but trust me I spent a hell of a lot of time playing TH2, 3 and to a lesser degree 4 back in the day, and I was pretty good at it! Alas, as it moved away from simple, compelling high scoring, Tony Hawks lost the simple joy that pulled me and countless others back for one more go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Super Pang!
    Lets kick some bubbles? Balloons?

I'd say there's something to be said for a rerelease of the Resi series onto the 3DS, perhaps using that 3D thingy it has going on there.
    Use the back catalog of superb GC titles and port them across.
    I'd buy them!

I think some new games rather than ports would be preferrable.

I'd think that any games would be prefrable:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Anyone else think we might see a new iteration of 3DS next spring? that and some games might see the *actual* launch of the system.

A price drop would be nice. It would be madness going up against the PS Vita with the same price. The PS Vita looks far more attractive to me considering the amount of fun I'm having with the PSP lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A price drop would be nice. It would be madness going up against the PS Vita with the same price. The PS Vita looks far more attractive to me considering the amount of fun I'm having with the PSP lately.

As impressive as it is, the Vita leaves me cold for some reason. However it would be very hard to justify a 3DS purchase when the two are the same price!

• Advertisement

I just watched 3D trailers for both Mario Kart 3D and Super Mario 3D and they are all the reason you need to buy a 3DS, not to mention MGS3D as well.
    Looking forward to some genuinely new IP on the machine too.

I heard MGS3D had an absolutely terrible showing at E3. It's a cheap and nasty budget port by a third party and the visuals have taken a compared to the PS2 version and the framerate was terrible. Also you have to consider that for the same price at around the same time the PS3 is getting MGS HD collection which is in 3D and contains MGS 2, MGS 3 and MGS Peace Walker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I just watched 3D trailers for both Mario Kart 3D and Super Mario 3D

The coins are coming back and hopefully, the blue shells are traded off, huzzahs allround.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I just watched 3D trailers for both Mario Kart 3D and Super Mario 3D and they are all the reason you need to buy a 3DS, not to mention MGS3D as well.

They should have been launch titles tbh, almost four months on & still very very little of interest. Thats not uncommon, but for those who paid launch price (myself included), its hard not to feel done over by Nintendo. I still feel like the 3DS is pre-ordered ffs, waiting on something to actually use on it.

The Vita does look a better package, but everything post PS2 by Sony has no soul & feels like generic electronics.

I watched those trailers the other day in 3D and I felt ill after it, definitly gonna pick those games up but will not be playing MK in 3D unless I feel like a dose of motion sickness:pac:

pdbhp wrote: »
    I watched those trailers the other day in 3D and I felt ill after it, definitly gonna pick those games up but will not be playing MK in 3D unless I feel like a dose of motion sickness:pac:

In a word
    Wuss!

• Advertisement

As for MGS3, that's a pity, odd that they would so lazy with such a potentially important game.
    So where does that leave the 3DS?
    Is it going to be destined to be another Ninty console that plays little more than Nintendo IP reheats and mini game extravaganzas from THQ and Ubisoft?
    Will the PSVita be destined for the same? Reheats of Sony IP's and mini versions of PS3 games?

Bugger!

Well Devil Survivor Overclocked looks really good. It was amazing on the DS and there's tonnes of new extra content added. Oh, sorry it's US only.

You just said that to get a poke at the region locked nature of the console!
    Fecker!

Well, it's early days yet, the DS wasn't much of a looker for the first while either and now, aside from the Nintendo IP reheats and the mini game compilations from Ubisoft, there are plenty of great games on it, more than enough to have laughed the various generations of the PSP out of the hall.
    Perhaps we need the 3DS equivalent of the DS Lite to come along and make it all, well, better?
    Start with a screen that doesn't reflect so much, or attract more fingerprints than a pair of panties in a CSI Miami episode!

Well to be honest with how badly Nintendo of America is treating DS and Wii users over there with no sign of great games like Last Window, Another Code R, Xenoblade, Last Story, Tingle, Pandora's Tower, as well as others that made it to Europe but not the US then it might be a case that a US and EU system will be essential.

The 3DS line up at the moment is far far better than what we had on the DS for the first 9 months so be happy. The PSP had one of the best launches ever in terms of software but after that it was slim pickings until the last 12-18 months or so.

It's what happens when you get a console at launch, same thing with the PS3 and 360, the PS2, PS1, Megadrive.

Except the Dreamcast... Mmmm Soul Calibur was all you needed.

In a word
    Wuss!

True Story!!!:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement