Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My Dreamcast, I spent a fortune on games for that, House of the Dead 2, Powerstone, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, even Incoming and Pen Pen Tri Icelon, or something like that, I owned them all, even Blue Stinger, I so tried to love that game, but only got more and more pissed off, wanting to play the Resi series on the PS again, so much better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Blue Stinger is awesome! It might have been a crappy Resi clone that had far too much backtracking that drove you insane but it had Dogs Bowser!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I've been getting stuck into Armed Police Batrider and Gigawing at the moment.
    Two great games,I love the sound effects and music in Gigawing.,especially when your shield powers up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Armed Police Batrider doesn't get enough attention. I love that game!

Yeah I only discovered it..great game
    I played it before but for some reason the first 2 minutes always turned me off.
    Think it was all those cars at the start and your ships fire power before it's powered up

Master of the Universe

I love blowing up all those cars at the start, always seemed so excessive :D

Yeah I love that level now..It just threw me at the start.Really short attention span:)
    Any game that involves destroying cars gets a thumbs up in my book.Street fighter,final fight,Crude busters...can't think of any more

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sorry, the best shooters to me still remain the post Thunderforce 2 games (that one was dung) and the incredible, perfect, sublime Einhander, a game that gets lots of mentions here and deserves them all.

Master of the Universe

Thunderforce III & IV are great...but they're no match for things like Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, Under Defeat, Gradius V, Souky, Blazing Star & Dodonpachi.

God damn it, why am I in work. I want to be at home playing shmups :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep I like my Thunderforce 3 and 4 but there are far far better shooters out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Solm

Playing zelda ocarina of time 3DS first Zelda game I have played it's great.

Well, I'm sure all the other Raizing and Cave shooters are great but there is history between me and the MD games, and that warm familiarity makes the games all the better.
    But I too am going to have to play some more shooters, once I am finished with Red Dead, just heading off to see Mr Ross after his retirement, I'm sure we have a lot to talk about...

Master of the Universe

Sat down with Child of Eden yesterday (seems to be a Saturday morning game for me for some reason?!) and finished off the last stage. It was odd, the attack the last boss was doing on me previously which resulted in death didn't make an apperance. Not sure why.

The bonus stage really is a nice touch.

I know the bosses in Rez change with how wellyou did in the stage. Child of Eden might be similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Bosses in Rez had 3 states IIRC, though I was never crap enough to trigger the very easiest form :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭megaten

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I know the bosses in Rez change with how wellyou did in the stage. Child of Eden might be similar.

Does that include Area 5? I might try and do crap on purpose so I don't get piles of rockets spewed at me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

o1s1n wrote: »
    Sat down with Child of Eden yesterday (seems to be a Saturday morning game for me for some reason?!) and finished off the last stage. It was odd, the attack the last boss was doing on me previously which resulted in death didn't make an apperance. Not sure why.

The bonus stage really is a nice touch.

Was that the one where it sends a circle of missiles at you if you don't defeat the three 'worms' in enough time? Has shown up the few times I've played through it, a pain in the arse trying to balance rapid fire and precious combo granting octo-shots there!

Also, the end of that level is stunning stuff - mainly the bit between defeating the boss and the credits rolling!

Master of the Universe

Was that the one where it sends a circle of missiles at you if you don't defeat the three 'worms' in enough time? Has shown up the few times I've played through it, a pain in the arse trying to balance rapid fire and precious combo granting octo-shots there!

Also, the end of that level is stunning stuff - mainly the bit between defeating the boss and the credits rolling!

Yep, that's exactly the boss I mean.

Beat based octo shots went out the window at that point. It was more just 'DIE WORM THINGS! DIE DIE DIE!!!!!'

Either I killed them all in rapid time or like the other guys said, happened to be playing badly so the game adjusted!

The end of that level is indeed stunning. One of the most imaginative end credits ever I think.

Have you played much of the bonus stage? I only went through a few levels of it before I had to turn it off and head out, but it really is great. Kind of makes me wish they'd included Rez HD on the disc too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have only had a few goes of the bonus stage - got to maybe level five before the difficulty seriously picks up! Pretty awesome though, a fairly direct acceptance that Child of Eden is Rez 2 in all but name (and story (and tone (and music))).

I'm still surprised Sega didn't publish it actually. Seems weird Ubisoft popping up everytime you boot up. More power to 'em for financing it though! For all Ubisofts flaws - shovelware and encouraging Gameloft, namely - they do have a welcome habit of encouraging more experimental approaches to existing games and new IPs.

• Advertisement

Think it's the same for area 5.

Also the last boss of Rez is Eden... coincidence?

Master of the Universe

Sure 'Project Eden' was one of the Rez working titles.

I "obtained" the Genki rockets album, its very good indeed.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I "obtained" the Genki rockets album, its very good indeed.

It's absolute muck, especially the last couple of songs but there's 4 or 5 on there that that bloody game child of eden has made me addicted to :(

Isn't it a pity there isn't a thumbs down button :(
    Probably doesn't like Freezepop either...

I quite the remixes at the end btw.

The remixes are usually the best thing about the songs. There's far too much cheese and a few ropey songs to challenging Surfer Rosa any time soon.

• Advertisement

After finishing Child of Eden I went through a few days where I couldn't stop listening to Heavenly Star. Junk, but super catchy junk.

So,
    Child Of Eden...

To Kinect or not to Kinect?

I have both and think a non-kinect approach is best, using the Kinect you wind up back at the start screen and exhausted/sweaty repeatedly!

I haven't tried Kinect, but playing well rather than just OK is demanding enough with a controller :pac:

So yeah, controller with strategically placed extra controllers around erogenous zones the couch to make it that bit easier to pick up on the appropriate beat.

Master of the Universe

erogenous zones

Needs more strikeout :(

I haven't tried Kinect, but playing well rather than just OK is demanding enough with a controller :pac:

So yeah, controller with strategically placed extra controllers around erogenous zones the couch to make it that bit easier to pick up on the appropriate beat.

The game really needs a trance vibrator.

• Advertisement

And a well informed 2nd hand market, maybe one of those ebay warning pages,

"So you're buying a trance vibrator for Rez or Child of Eden? Here are the health concerns and links to protective latex sheaths for your device, and a selection of hygienic wipes if you insist on playing 'bare back'"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Castlevania on the GBA and not Quite retro but played a brief bit of Mario Kart Wii last night with the girlfriend. First time I've played it in well over 12 months, had forgotten just how good it is, was online with it for an hour this evening.

Finding the back catalogue getting raided right now, so playing Half Life 2: Ep2 right now, never got to finishing it so having a blast right now, those Hunters are b@stards!
    Also playing the second Mechwarrior game on the xbox as well as trying not to get blasted out of the sky again in Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Master of the Universe

PD Orta gets suprisingly difficult doesn't it? Great game though. Another reason to keep an Xbox knocking about. Such a shame Microsoft mangled the backwards compatability on that one!

I broke out the A1200 yesterday. Been meaning to take that out for a while. Due to space restrictions I had to run it on my LCD tv. And amazingly - it didn't look ****! I thought my eyes would be bleeding with the lack of scanlines..but no, the games looked quite nice.

Spent a bit of time playing the CD32 version of Road Kill. Great fun so it is. I really wish they made a Micro Machines on the system with that kind of visual detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Finding the back catalogue getting raided right now, so playing Half Life 2: Ep2 right now, never got to finishing it so having a blast right now

I thought the way the game ended was exceptional, very cinematic'y. Then again, I'm a devout Half Life worshipper :o Very, very good game. Only second to the original. Gabe Newell is also a jerk.

EnterNow wrote: »
    I thought the way the game ended was exceptional, very cinematic'y.

Cinematic is a curious word to use there. What I love about Half-Life is the way it tells the story without dragging you away to pointless cutscenes - it's much more of a 'game' than most, rarely taking away interactivity. It's why the end of Episode 2 -
    where for the first time, barring the 'stranger' endings of the original and sequel, the stranger 'lose control' over Freeman - is so utterly heartbreaking and powerful.
    Yeah, I love Half-Life, it's the game every FPS maker should hold up as an example of how to do the genre right. Half-Life 2 is still one of my favourite games of all time, it's a masterfully designed game from beginning to end.

Also trying to work through a sizable backlog of freebies and Steam sales. Loving Frozen Synapse, the best online game I've played in a long time. So-so about inFamous and Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty (what a dodgy title). Adore Jamestown. All topped with the occasional dip into Dynamite Headdy or Earthworm Jim!

The new Ratchet and Clank games got so much praise but I really thought they were very average. I guess coming out as an exclusive while the PS3 was starved of games helped.

Someone was trying to get me to buy Infamous 2 the other day, no thanks says I, found the first one a bit boring tbh, after gaming for as long as us it's got to the point that a game really has to be interesting to make us play, make us invest in it.
    I find often that the big budget games become boring rehashes of games long since finished, while other sometimes flawed games are fun simply because they dare to offer some kernel of the new..
    I would consider every 3rd person brawler since God of War in the former category, aside perhaps for Bayonetta, they all are a meaningless blur of big attacks, little attacks, opening chests for magic and life extensions.
    I would be more in mind to play EDF/GDF or Powerdrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Damokc

spent the last few weeks playing the very 1st Carmageddon...pixilated madness..love it.

Master of the Universe

I would consider every 3rd person brawler since God of War in the former category, aside perhaps for Bayonetta, they all are a meaningless blur of big attacks, little attacks, opening chests for magic and life extensions.
    I would be more in mind to play EDF/GDF or Powerdrome.

Thank feck you can always fall back on your other love, 2d brawlers.

Oh wait :(

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The new Ratchet and Clank games got so much praise but I really thought they were very average. I guess coming out as an exclusive while the PS3 was starved of games helped.

Yeah I remember them getting praise all over the shop. This is the first R&C I've played and I'm honestly just a bit bored by the whole thing. The platforming is rubbish. The weaponry is interesting but poorly implemented (six axis controls can **** right off). And actually shooting just feels like a ****ter implementation of shooting mechanics from much better games. Rail grinding is cool though. I'm guessing the PS2 games are a bit better?

As for brawlers, Castlevania Lords of Shadow is surprisingly enjoyable despite robbing nearly every single game mechanic from other games. It's the scale that impresses. But then again, I always fail to see the appeal of God of War, a franchise I enjoy but don't love. Give me the glory of Bayonetta anyday, still probably my game of this console gen!

Thank feck you can always fall back on your other love, 2d brawlers.

Oh wait :(

Ah well, I like some 2d fighting games alright, The Last Blade and it's sequel being top of the list, but when some genius thinks to himself..
    "Hmm, I know what would make this better, lets reduce the move set to four actions, lets make the play arena scroll horizontally and, feck it no time to be original, just reuse the same handful of enemies and use a palette swap to make the saps believe they are different enemies, brilliant!"

Do we really have to revisit the factual suck-edness that is Streets of Rage and Golden Axe? Really, do you want to be ridiculed again, in front of all your mate? ;)

Master of the Universe

Do we really have to revisit the factual suck-edness that is Streets of Rage and Golden Axe? Really, do you want to be ridiculed again, in front of all your mate? ;)

How you get away with trolling a forum you moderate I'll never know :p

I'm guessing the PS2 games are a bit better?

It's more of the same really. Found them good but not worth bothering with.

Best.
    Job.
    In.
    The.
    World!

I know, sorry, lets go back to baiting Retr0 instead!

lets go back to baiting Retr0 instead!

Basically the ethos of the forum :p

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Basically the ethos of the forum :p

Sure didn't our Lord himself on the cross pause to bait Retr0 before giving himself up for the world?

Sure didn't our Lord himself on the cross pause to bait Retr0 before giving himself up for the world?

A nice Teddage adapted for the situation - nicely done :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Forgive them for not owning NES'es or something? Or what was it he said?

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Forgive them for not owning NES'es or something? Or what was it he said?

More specific though...something about moderators of the Ninteno forum, and lover of all things Nintendo not spending 15 quid on a NES. Eternal damnation/ridicule followed I think...

Advertisement