Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Forgive them for not owning NES'es or something? Or what was it he said?

'Shame on thee, wearer of women's clothing, for not partaking in the ownership of a Nintendo Entertaiment System.
    Until you taste the fruit of it's loins on hardware which you doth own, I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon you."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    'Shame on thee, wearer of women's clothing, for not partaking in the ownership of a Nintendo Entertaiment System.
    Until you taste the fruit of it's loins on hardware which you doth own, I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon you."

Wtf he robbed that from Samuel L. ;)

@EnterNow: Retr0 is a lost cause with the NES, even a 15 quid one, it isn't 60Hz... :rolleyes: :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Today's readings from the Letters of St. John to Shigeru Miayamoto (John 6:4)

What was from the beginning,
    what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes,
    what we have looked at and touched with our hands,
    concerning the World of 1-1 and the life was manifested,
    and we have seen and testify and proclaim to you the eternal warp pipe,
    which was with the Famicom and was manifested to us -
    what we have seen and heard we proclaim to you also,
    so that you too may have fellowship with us;
    and indeed our fellowship is with the Famicom, and with His Son Mario.
    These things we write, so that our joy may be made complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Well I haven't bought a new game in a few weeks nor have I been playing games so last night I thought I'd give CastleVania SotN a blast on PSP, still a great game.

Tonight I'm gonna blast more PSP with some Tenchu as I need a Ninja fix

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Until you taste the fruit of it's loins on hardware which you doth own, I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon you, and all in 60hz, via RGB cable on a 29" Sony Trinitron, using a genuine original Jap cart"

Fixed it for ya!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Today's readings from the Letters of St. John to Shigeru Miayamoto (John 6:4)

What was from the beginning,
    what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes,
    what we have looked at and touched with our hands,
    concerning the World of 1-1 and the life was manifested,
    and we have seen and testify and proclaim to you the eternal warp pipe,
    which was with the Famicom and was manifested to us -
    what we have seen and heard we proclaim to you also,
    so that you too may have fellowship with us;
    and indeed our fellowship is with the Famicom, and with His Son Mario.
    These things we write, so that our joy may be made complete.

Ah, this would seem to be one of those scriptures, after the schism, when the lesser, weaker members of the faith decided to believe the false promises of the warp pipe, the heathen device by which the Lord Shigsy's well laid down trials may be skipped over, thereby rendering the soul of the weak path taker unfullfilled.

They will therefore be unworthy when the day comes, the day when we will all be risen up, up to where Nintendo Shop items are all only 200 points, always arrive as ordered and within 6 calendar months.

Sounds like heaven to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Not retro, but hopelessly addicted to Persona 3 Portable at the moment. Only 17 hours in but one of my favourite RPGs ever so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

ghostchant wrote: »
    Not retro, but hopelessly addicted to Persona 3 Portable at the moment. Only 17 hours in but one of my favourite RPGs ever so far.

And you have the even better Persona 4 ahead of you :)

I need Persona 5 :(

Some people just need a Persona!

You know, that was funnier in my head....

Everyone should watch Bergman's Persona too, it's the film that made me fall in love with cinema all over again!

Probably should point out there's no dungeon crawling in it though, and no talking teddy bears.

• Advertisement

Tell the truth, it wasn't Bergmans Persona, it was Lucas' Howard The Duck, tell the truth now!

Speaking of Lucas,
    Best movie ever incoming! (I hope!)

Joe Johnston wants to make a live action Boba Fett movie!

Finished two games this evening. Firstly, finally took the time to sit down and play Adventures of Little Ralph in its entirety over two days (thank you, PSP sleep option!) and many, many credits. Very inventive game, definitely one an underplayed classic. The minecart level was frustrating but great fun, but a definite highlight was the game switching to fully function
    2D beat 'em up
    during two boss battles, with a special control system and all! Great game.

And speaking of great games, also finished Ys Oath in Felghana after an epic final boss fight which might just be as close to 3D bullet hell as you'll get :P Some of gaming's finest boss battles and music and a really weird localisation too! Loved every minute, even those parts where you fall down a pit when trying to get an item and spend five minutes backtracking :pac: I'm not sure if it was a joke or not, but there's an amusing feature to the combo system. Every hit up until 99 raises your exp multiplier by .01%. It then lingers at 1.99 until you get to the maximum of 999 hits - maybe a good five-ten minutes work - and then simply jumps up one more .01% and stays there at 2.00!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The last few bosses of Ys 2 in Chronicles went into insane bullet hell mode as well. It was awesome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

A Danmaku RPG? :eek: :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They do exist :) Ys is a lot more action orientated than most RPGs and there's also Knights in the Nightmare on DS and PSP which is a full on mash up of Strategy RPG and Danmaku shooter, and a rather fantastic one by all accounts.

Knights in the Nightmare is insanely good. Haven't tried it on psp, works beatuifully on the DS touchscreen though.

I am just heading to bed after enjoying an hour of Portal, can't believe it took me just 4 years to get to playing it!
    And although the meme is a couple of years out of date,

The Cake Is A Lie!

What a perfect combo for tattooes,
    An orange lambda on one arm and a companion cube with the above phrase on the other,
    What you shower think?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I am just heading to bed after enjoying an hour of Portal, can't believe it took me just 4 years to get to playing it!
    And although the meme is a couple of years out of date,

The Cake Is A Lie!

What a perfect combo for tattooes,
    An orange lambda on one arm and a companion cube with the above phrase on the other,
    What you shower think?

It was out of date when I was playing it a couple of years ago :) The internet has beaten the phrase to death through repetition, so am a bit tired of it now.

cutting_edge.png

Yeah it was great fun being in on all the Portal memes back at release. And then everyone played it :pac:

Still, few games have produced so many iconic lines and characters, even if the internet recycled 'em to death. Luckily, Valve seemed to learn from their mistakes (wrong word when talking about Portal), and while Portal 2 brings the laughs with stunning regularity, they have moved away from one-liners.

• Advertisement

GS have Portal 2 for 19.99, not sure whether to spring for it or Castlevania on the 360, help here!
    Portal is breathtaking, love to see it on the 3DS, not that it will happen but a man can dream.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    GS have Portal 2 for 19.99, not sure whether to spring for it or Castlevania on the 360, help here!
    Portal is breathtaking, love to see it on the 3DS, not that it will happen but a man can dream.

Portal 2 by a distance on that one!

Castlevania is good, but Portal 2 is sublime!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm playing Mario 64 at the moment on a borrowed N64. Today was the first time I've ever played it. The N64 looks a little rough on our large LCD screen but not as bad as I was expecting.

I've heard so many good things about Mario 64 that there is no way it can live up to the hype. One thing I'm finding annoying is the camera. It may have been groundbreaking back when it was first released but not any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It may have been groundbreaking back when it was first released but not any more.

Most past innovation falls into that category unfortunately. In reality, it's us that change - not the games.

Oh, wait until you hit Wet/Dry world, or the world where things are big/small, it's a great game, and plenty of hidden stars in once off little areas too.
    A cracking game no matter what the age.
    The camera is a lone weak point but at least the yellow buttons afford the player with instant adjustment.

I actually don't feel the basic level design has aged in Mario 64. I was a late comer too and actually only played it on the cursed DS, so yeah certainly control and camera issues. But I was still deeply impressed at how so much of it is still terrific fun to play.

Heart the slide levels! Ah, the joys when I discovered they had returned in SMG2 in 360 degree glory.

playing the original Castlevania since early today, got really into it but alas it's too bloody hard to get anywhere in it:(
    Need to buy some new games but I'm having an anti Ebay/other internet purchasing boycott for a few weeks cos I need my monies for the lady friends birthday

I actually don't feel the basic level design has aged in Mario 64. I was a late comer too and actually only played it on the cursed DS, so yeah certainly control and camera issues. But I was still deeply impressed at how so much of it is still terrific fun to play.

Heart the slide levels! Ah, the joys when I discovered they had returned in SMG2 in 360 degree glory.

If you play Mario64 on the 3DS the analogue stick really akes the gae a lot better and lets you have some control over it

pdbhp wrote: »
    playing the original Castlevania since early today, got really into it but alas it's too bloody hard to get anywhere in it:(
    Need to buy some new games but I'm having an anti Ebay/other internet purchasing boycott for a few weeks cos I need my monies for the lady friends birthday

You could try the japanese version, sometimes they are easier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cots1

Just started kingdom hearts for the first time, it looks a lot better then i originality thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I loved the first kingodm hearts, really enjoyed he playthrough.

Never bothered with any sequals though, i missed the GBA game when it first came out and figured i wouldnt know what was going on if i played KH 2 then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Kingdom Hearts 1 is great because it's story is almost non existent.

Was listening to Roleplayers Realm the other day and Kat wanted to do a KH podcast. She was only able to find one person that liked the series and even they admitted that the Kingdom Hearts series has far and away the worst storyline of any videogame ever. After KH1 just forget about the story and enjoy the game because it's absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Yeah to be fair KH 2 has really good fighting. I liked how they had a normal attack button and a contextual attack button instead of qte's

KH2 from what little I played was way too easy, you can beat it just mashing X. Must go back and play to finish it. The first game seemed better to me because it was really challenging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Well I am playing a title that is just so cooooooollllllllll.....

Tiny Toons.....Busters Hidden Treasure.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svcGgZoAlAI

Nice, but the Snes game was so much better, no? I loved it back in the day, Busters Busts Loose, a perfect platformer, a really nice licence from an age of really pants licences!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Started Final Fantasy Tactics today, long overdue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Lost Vikings 2: Norse by Norsewest
    Also want to play Nightmare creatures for PS1 again as I cant remember if it sucked or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Iridion II though i think I want to buy a GB Micro now as I hate how the carts stick out of a DS Lite.

Also playing DoDonpachi Resurrection and Deathsmiles on my iPad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Lost Vikings 2: Norse by Norsewest
    Also want to play Nightmare creatures for PS1 again as I cant remember if it sucked or not.

I recall Nightmare Creatures being decent at the time, i should still have it at home somewhere must give it a go!

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Iridion II though i think I want to buy a GB Micro now as I hate how the carts stick out of a DS Lite.

Also playing DoDonpachi Resurrection and Deathsmiles on my iPad.

Don't have a GB Micro, come on thats the most necessary console ever, the minute size of it allows sneaky gaming everywhere, also the added bonus of looking úber cool playing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

pdbhp wrote: »
    Don't have a GB Micro, come on thats the most necessary console ever, the minute size of it allows sneaky gaming everywhere, also the added bonus of looking úber cool playing it

Not the pink one;)

Not the pink one;)

Pink with silver face plate looks sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Strider on my new Megadrive \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

still panging away. The game that you can easily play in real life. All you need is a grappling gun and a kids birthday party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Playing Marvel vs Capcom 3 on the 360.

Must say its a lot better than I thought it would be and definitely worth a look.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Playing Marvel vs Capcom 3 on the 360.

Must say its a lot better than I thought it would be and definitely worth a look.

I was waiting for it to go down in price and then they announced the budget Ultimate edition :) As my name suggests Im a sucker for ultimate stuff, So will just wait it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I was waiting for it to go down in price and then they announced the budget Ultimate edition :) As my name suggests Im a sucker for ultimate stuff, So will just wait it out!

Picked it up new in HMV on Henry st for €19.99 yesterday along with King of Fighters XII for 11.99, so that was alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Steve SI wrote: »
    Picked it up new in HMV on Henry st for €19.99 yesterday along with King of Fighters XII for 11.99, so that was alright.

Do they have any more copies of King of Fighters XII going? Ever since I got a YLOD a couple of years back I've been afraid to sink any money into
    a PS3, but for 12 yoyos, why not? The game's a bit bare, but it's gorgeous from what I've seen, and it's still King of Fighters, which is A+.

Anyways, at the moment, I'm alternating between King of Fighters '99 Dream Match through to King of Fighters 2002 on the Dreamcast, a bit of Garou and Capcom vs SNK 2 thrown in, with just a dash of Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door.

• Advertisement
Advertisement