Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Maybe hold out for KoF13 which id out soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

October, and full price. Rather wait it out for a drop and sink some time in 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Looking forward to new KOF.
    I'm really getting in to neo geo fighters recently after giving them a wide birth for many years.
    Mark of the wolf is top for me..followed by KOF 98.
    Dabbling in the last blade series too.Top notch stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Do they have any more copies of King of Fighters XII going? Ever since I got a YLOD a couple of years back I've been afraid to sink any money into
    a PS3, but for 12 yoyos, why not? The game's a bit bare, but it's gorgeous from what I've seen, and it's still King of Fighters, which is A+.

Anyways, at the moment, I'm alternating between King of Fighters '99 Dream Match through to King of Fighters 2002 on the Dreamcast, a bit of Garou and Capcom vs SNK 2 thrown in, with just a dash of Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door.

Not sure if the have any more copies, I'd say they do as it was new and not second hand. So that price for a new one was well worth it.

Playing Ōkami on PS2, well on my PS3 as the PS2 died a death and needs replacing.

Liking the game a lot and the visual style is great.

If you don't have this game grab it while they have them in stock on Amazon and at such cheap price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Capcom-Okami-PS2/dp/B000JL6F2W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311970616&sr=8-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

The Dungeon man in Earthbound is one of the weirdest things I have ever seen in a video game.

Is this your first playthrough? If so, buckle the **** up. Do you own an actual copy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

First Playthrough. I'm playing using my Caanoo. It's very good. Though I think I prefer Mother 1 so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just gave my son his first viewing of The Princess Bride! Awesome!

Drop.

Your.

Sword.

Now for some games, I'm thinking Portal to start....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dungeon is great, fantastic take off of RPG dungeon design. I love the way it takes a swipe at RPG tropes and yet embraces them by being so similar to Dragon Quest.

Started the new fan translation of Mother 1 to see if it makes much of a difference. There's a new easy ring to equip at the start that has made the game a total breeze so far, the game is usually a total grindfest.

Also threw on some ninja gaiden for NES, still fantastic. Think I'll try and beat this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

System Shock 2. That is all.

EnterNow wrote: »
    System Shock 2. That is all.

Isn't it just glorious! Best FPS game ever imo.

Tatsunoko Vs Capcom Ultimate All Stars on the Wii.

Pretty decent actually. I've ordered one of those Mad Catz Tatsunoko Vs Capcom Arcade FightStick from amazon as well.

Really getting into my fighters lately and giving no love to the shmups(except on the iPad/iCade) at all.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Tatsunoko Vs Capcom Ultimate All Stars on the Wii.

Pretty decent actually. I've ordered one of those Mad Catz Tatsunoko Vs Capcom Arcade FightStick from amazon as well.

Really getting into my fighters lately and giving no love to the shmups(except on the iPad/iCade) at all.

It's a good game alright. Mind, I'm not sure it's worth getting a stick solely for.

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    It's a good game alright. Mind, I'm not sure it's worth getting a stick solely for.

Only 22 euro with free delivery from Amazon when I included a few other bits. No harm in getting it at that price :D

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Isn't it just glorious! Best FPS game ever imo.

Its cyberpunk awsomeness, meets the story is bigger than the player brilliance :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Or, alternatively, read a book!
    William Gibson, given he invented the genre.
    Peter F. Hamilton's series of Greg Mandel books are great too.
    Richard Morgan and his Takeshi Kovacs books are superb.
    And they are all better than System Shock 2, promise!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Or, alternatively, read a book!
    William Gibson, given he invented the genre.
    Peter F. Hamilton's series of Greg Mandel books are great too.
    Richard Morgan and his Takeshi Kovacs books are superb.

My minds eye has gotten far too lazy in recent years, I find myself reading the words but not building the picture. Shame really, I used to be able to read/enjoy books...then my htpc came along and ruined it :o

Have you played System Shock 2? The story in that game and the excellent visual symbolism for me is on par with any of the great sci-fi novels. It's seriously that good.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, you'll have to be more specific about the novels you have read, and of it has colouring in it doesn't count I'm afraid, even if you stayed inside all the lines! ;)

Best book in ages "The Passage" by Julian Cronin.
    Also you gotta try the Nights Dawn trilogy by Peter F Hamilton and Ilium and Olympos, The Hyperion Sequence all by Dan Simmons, haven't played any games that come close.

The closest a game came to aping it's written inspiration was Eternal Darkness' riff on the Lovecraft books, not bad, not brilliant but not bad, Color Out Of Space, Call of Cthulhu and the rest are simply sublime, aside from the casual racism, not cool HP, not cool!

Well I still think System Shock 2 joins the ranks of the very very few games along with the likes of Earthbound, Mother 3 and Silent Hill 2, as a game that can stand shoulder to shoulder with literary greats.

Kingdom Hearts 2 on the other hand can stand up tall as being far and away the worst example of storytelling in any medium.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm on a David Mitchell buzz at the moment. Anyone with an interest in Japan should read The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet, absolutely beautiful and insightful novel. Moving on to Number9Dream now, once I read through Maus and Akira book one. Also, I dare anyone to suggest a game that has the same emotional impact as Kafka on the Shore by Murakami. I've rarely been so engrossed by a single work of art, and have been a Haruki Murakami obsessive ever since.

Oh yeah, games. Ahem. Had a whirl of Probotector during the week, fascinating tech. Plays hypersmooth for an MD game! Just spent an evening with Back to the Future (Episode 2) - good but like all Telltale games not great. Couldn't say no when they were on sale on PSN though. And Catherine, well Catherine is just awesome.

I liked how Gamesmaster put it when reviewing Probotector: 'faster scrolling than the credits of NYPD Blue'.

Also, I dare anyone to suggest a game that has the same emotional impact as Kafka on the Shore by Murakami.

Well the obvious choice is SimCity 2000, but to try & break the mould, I'd say...Midnight Resistance on the C64 left some harrowing choices for the player. It touched many on a deep level choosing who lives & who dies (:p)

Also, I dare anyone to suggest a game that has the same emotional impact as Kafka on the Shore by Murakami.

Says your man who's never played Earthbound or Mother 3 :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Says your man who's never played Earthbound or Mother 3 :rolleyes:

Have you read Kafka on the Shore?

I will play Earthbound one of these games. It's been hyped up to almost godly levels though, which is worrying.

Kafka on the Shore insists upon itself. It's the worst case of manipulating the reader/viewer to feel something since the ending of Pay it Forward. What the hell is FF6's protagonist doing in it anyway?

...actually I haven't. Is it better than Da Vinci code?

Is it better than Da Vinci code?

I've actually never read the Da Vinci Code. I watched the film of Angels & Demons and it pretty much confirmed everything I feared a Dan Brown story would be.

Are we stuck in an argument where we keep trying to compare works in vastly different mediums to things the other has never seen / played / read?

*gets coffee*

I've actually never read the Da Vinci Code. I watched the film of Angels & Demons and it pretty much confirmed everything I feared a Dan Brown story would be.

The film is a vast, vast improvement on the book, which says a lot.
    Are we stuck in an argument where we keep trying to compare works in vastly different mediums to things the other has never seen / played / read?

*gets coffee*

Says your man that never played the fan translation of Assault Suit Valken 2.

• Advertisement

The film is a vast, vast improvement on the book, which says a lot.

I don't think I've ever been as tempted to walk out of a cinema as when Ewan McGregor jumped out of a helicopter while there was a giant anti-matter explosion behind him.

And I believe in the book there wasn't even a parachute involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

I'm playing Dragon Ball Z Supersonic Warriors on GBA and King of the Zoo and Mario Bros DX on gameboy color plus loads of SNES games on the snes emu for wii

I don't think I've ever been as tempted to walk out of a cinema as when Ewan McGregor jumped out of a helicopter while there was a giant anti-matter explosion behind him.

Tom Hanks character managed to survive falling from a helicopter, not ewan mcgregors in the book, by using his coat to slow him down, landing in soft frothy water and by using the power of bad writing. The end of the book is even more daft than the film which is what they changed the most.

Tom Hanks character managed to survive falling from a helicopter, not ewan mcgregors in the book, by using his coat to slow him down, landing in soft frothy water and by using the power of bad writing. The end of the book is even more daft than the film which is what they changed the most.

Well don't you use your coat as a parachute when your falling from a helicopter..?

SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    Well don't you use your coat as a parachute when your falling from a helicopter..?

falling from a helicopter that's being engulfed in an anti-matter explosion.

It's pretty much a writer seeing how many nonsense fictional physics shenanigans can be stuffed onto a single page / minute of screen time.

The answer is quite a bit.

falling from a helicopter that's being engulfed in an anti-matter explosion.

It's pretty much a writer seeing how many nonsense fictional physics shenanigans can be stuffed onto a single page / minute of screen time.

The answer is quite a bit.

well said! So what are you playing at the moment?

I say we get Dan Brown, a helicopter and some anti-matter, head for the Vatican and put his writing to the test!

Apparently, there is a secret code in the name "Dan Brown", it means "I can't write for buttons, please give me lots of money".

Apparently, there is a secret code in the name "Dan Brown", it means "I can't write for buttons, please give me lots of money".

I knew it... To the knights Templar mobile!

Reported for trying to get an A&R thread back on topic. Ciderman, looks like we've an idealist here :p

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »

Reported for trying to get an A&R thread back on topic. Ciderman, looks like we've an idealist here :p

Sacré Bleu!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Just got the Galaga DX trial on XBLA. Very fun, VERY addictive!

There's something about hitting the sweet spot and clearing waves that is utterly satisfying.

Great game. Great XBLA makeover. Well worth the 800 MP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Just got the Galaga DX trial on XBLA. Very fun, VERY addictive!

There's something about hitting the sweet spot and clearing waves that is utterly satisfying.

Great game. Great XBLA makeover. Well worth the 800 MP.

It's a fun game alright, there dows be so much happening on screen that it's difficult to take it all in.
    Looking forward to the release on 3DS of Galaga Legions as that console is crying out for some playable games

Started playing Dragon Quest 1 last night, the game that started it all. I have to say, for some reason I've really been enjoying these old grindy RPGs. DQ1 is a bit weird since you've only got the one character and the game is quite non-linear. The graphics are also very basic, even in the SNES remake I'm playing on. However I'm really digging the music and monster design.

Played a spot of Space Invaders on my GB followed by my Super Gameboy'd Snes!
    It's awesome!!!!

Ok, it's still Space Invaders but to squish all that content onto a GB cart, it's more Ninty miracles I tell ya!
    And no Digital Anal Eclipse logos anywhere!

God I hate digital eclipse and backbone entertainment. They always have crap emulation and add stuff that's not needed. I wish more publishers would let M2 handle their rereleases.

• Advertisement

I have started Earthbound. Enjoying it thoroughly so far, although given the hype I expect my head to actually explode from the awesome at some point.

I have started Earthbound. Enjoying it thoroughly so far, although given the hype I expect my head to actually explode from the awesome at some point.

It takes a while. Finish it first :P

Bring back the Scratch n'sniff ads for Earthbound I remember in my regular copy of EGM, imported for me back in the day by Easons, well when I say for me I mean for everyone.
    No not everyone read the one imported copy, they would bring in loads.... feck it you know what I mean.
    Never liked Gamepro in the day, like it even less now.
    I also got Boot every month as well as the occasional US PcGamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tjones64

playing pokemon emerald atm.
    but, am using nearly all "classic" pokemon.
    here's a screen:

pokege.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Getting my bad ass Ninja on all day yesterday with a Tenchu marathon.
    I've had tenchu games for ages but alas they were at tthe bottom of the pile so I've neglected them for years until yesterday.
    Have to say that I really enjoyed playing them, I didn't realise that they were so good or I'd have played them ages ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement