Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Have you gone back into Metroid after closing it?

There's no option to save, but when you open the game it up resumes where you left off! I think Zelda does the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Metroid uses passwords. I think if you end the game instead of continuing you get a password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I've been spending a bit of time playing NES stuff on my Dingoo recently and I agree with the above, most of the games are as frustrating and annoying as I found them as a 10 year old the first time around. Having said that Bionic Commando is a game I am determined to crack and Bubble Bobble is the genius it always was.

If anything those two games represent the two extremes of NES gaming (in my eyes at least) one is a simple single screen arcade challenge, basic but excellent also. BC on the other hand is expansive and ambitious in scope, and it pulls it off.

I guess its because it was because I was a little bit older but the jump to 16 bit and the Snes was massive for me, I played that thing into the ground and got volumes more out of it than I ever did the NES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

o1s1n wrote: »
    Have you gone back into Metroid after closing it?

There's no option to save, but when you open the game it up resumes where you left off! I think Zelda does the same.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Metroid uses passwords. I think if you end the game instead of continuing you get a password.

Interesting.... but the thing is I was quite a bit into the game and then a bat put paid to Samus' adventure.... and I ended up back at the start :( Its like there is no checkpoints or something? Maybe that's how the original game was, I don't know, my only experience of it was on the GameCube after unlocking it with GBA Fusion linked up to it.
    I've been spending a bit of time playing NES stuff on my Dingoo recently and I agree with the above, most of the games are as frustrating and annoying as I found them as a 10 year old the first time around. Having said that Bionic Commando is a game I am determined to crack and Bubble Bobble is the genius it always was.

If anything those two games represent the two extremes of NES gaming (in my eyes at least) one is a simple single screen arcade challenge, basic but excellent also. BC on the other hand is expansive and ambitious in scope, and it pulls it off.

I guess its because it was because I was a little bit older but the jump to 16 bit and the Snes was massive for me, I played that thing into the ground and got volumes more out of it than I ever did the NES.

I agree. Even though I thought back then that the only different between 8 and 16-bit was the shinier, more colourful visuals, it was also a lot to do with user-friendliness and technical accomplishment applied to things like collision detection and artificial intelligence.

While I'm not the world's biggest 8-bit fan, there are many 8-bit games that I can't get enough of. The likes of Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt and 8-bit Game Boy games such as Tetris and Zelda: Link's Awakening are some of the best games I have ever played, and still stand the test of time easily.

16-bit though was some jump, and the 32/64 -bit generation after another huge leap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Interesting.... but the thing is I was quite a bit into the game and then a bat put paid to Samus' adventure.... and I ended up back at the start :( Its like there is no checkpoints or something? Maybe that's how the original game was, I don't know, my only experience of it was on the GameCube after unlocking it with GBA Fusion linked up to it.

Yep this is how the original is. If you die you go straight back to the start but keep all the upgrades you find.

The even more annoying thing is that you will always start at 30 health no matter how many energy tanks you find so you have to spend ages farming health.

I hope you remembered to bring your graph paper :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

That sounds really punishing! I guess back in the day you really got your moneys worth for lastability.

Spent some more time with Metal Slug First mission this morning. Was really enjoying it until I got to a night time level.

Seriously, a night time level on a console with no backlight? It was really sunny earlier and I STILL couldn't see a thing. Madness!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Was playing Guwange last night for a bit, pretty cool game. Tis funny, it's so much easier to dodge a screen full of bullets in that game than it is to dodge a few bullets in Raiden. I guess having a health bar makes it easier too.

Master of the Universe

You know bullet hell shmups are made to look harder than they are when one bullet out of tank in Raiden poses as much risk as a screen full in something like Deathsmiles!

You know bullet hell shmups are made to look harder than they are when one bullet out of tank in Raiden poses as much risk as a screen full in something like Deathsmiles!

I'm only a novice at the bullet hell type shmups but find you can kind of get into a trance and see how the patterns are moving without looking at them in detail. Raiden's single bullets seem to home in on yer ass, they're harder to keep track of. Very rewarding surviving a difficult section though. More often than not it's cursing at myself as I notice a bullet too late to dodge. :pac:

Have a couple more 360 shmups incoming soon so looking forward to them.

In bullet hell games the bullets look big but the hit box is only a few pixels in the centre, same with te players craft. The bullets also move a hell of a lot slower. It's more to do with the speed of the bullets and the large hit boxes. I know the non bullet hell Image Fight is far tougher than any bullet hell I've ever played.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    More often than not it's cursing at myself as I notice a bullet too late to dodge. :pac:

Heh, I hate those ones. You can see the bullet incoming but your brain just can't get the signal to your hand to move your ship in time.
    In bullet hell games the bullets look big but the hit box is only a few pixels in the centre, same with te players craft. The bullets also move a hell of a lot slower. It's more to do with the speed of the bullets and the large hit boxes. I know the non bullet hell Image Fight is far tougher than any bullet hell I've ever played.

I've never heard of image fight. I see it's made by Irem. Will check it out now as a matter of interest :)

edit - woah, definitely not a game for keyboard controls!

Yep this is how the original is. If you die you go straight back to the start but keep all the upgrades you find.

The even more annoying thing is that you will always start at 30 health no matter how many energy tanks you find so you have to spend ages farming health.

I hope you remembered to bring your graph paper :)

:eek:

Also the bullets move in a pattern. Mars Matrix is a bullet curtain title too, but its bullets often move independantly which makes its screen full o death a right pain to navigate if your sheild is recharging... Huge hitbox, huge amounts of randomly moving bullets makes this one of the toughest shooters out there in my view.... still haven't clocked it yet. Great fun though - love the piercing shot, so satisfying!

Anyway, they may not be retro, but I've been busy playing Espgaluda II and Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 on my 360. I effing love these games. I was gripped my Mushi the second I got it, and then got stuck into Esp II, which has been taking up a lot of my time over the last few nights in particular. I love playing it in Novice mode as its so fun and enjoyable and staidfying, but there's a time to move on and play the real deal, which is what I've been at and its is fricking difficult! Going to keep at it anyway....

Was playing Futari last night at length, and managed to 1CC Maniac on Novice mode last night easily. Its funny how you get better at all shooters when you are playing others too. Again, having enjoyed the game to buggery on Novice, its time to move on to Normal and that's what I'm ging to be doing from now on.

I'm aiming to get three shooters over the next month or so. Zero Gunner 2, which I've mentioned before - the graphics in that are so good, and I've heard its a super-enjoyable experience. At the same time, I'm saving up coins (!) to pay for Batsugun. That sounds daft but its a good way to save up for a game - I've a little Space Invaders "piggy bank" cab that I throw change into - once I've got €70 I'll have the money to get the game and pay for the postage.

Lastly I'm planning on importing Muchi Muchi Pork & Pink Sweets. Has anyone on the boards got this, and what do you think? Worth the considerable outlay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I've never heard of image fight. I see it's made by Irem. Will check it out now as a matter of interest :)

I have the PC Engine edition. It's seriously difficult, but it was well known for this.

Great game though, definitely one to put some time in to.

Its funny how you get better at all shooters when you are playing others too.

Odd. I had the same thought when I played Darius Burst last night. Playing endless Danmaku or difficult traditional shooting games really gives you a better grip on the slower scrollers. Even with the dodgy PSP controls.
    I've a little Space Invaders "piggy bank" cab that I throw change into

Not that yolk that came with Space Invaders Anniversary is it? I have the game, not the piggy bank!
    Lastly I'm planning on importing Muchi Muchi Pork & Pink Sweets. Has anyone on the boards got this, and what do you think? Worth the considerable outlay?

Not played it, don't own it. Would love to own it though. It's definitely worth the outlay if you are a shooting game fan though, two Cave titles for the price one usually retails at plus it has a limited run in all editions. Grab it while you can!

edit - woah, definitely not a game for keyboard controls!

The guy that produced Radiant Silvergun says it's a big inspiration for that game. He reckons it's the hardest shmup ever made. I reckon he could be right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I read somewhere that Muchi Muchi Pork / Pink Sweets are 'easy' Cave games. Think another software house had a hand in them too?

I'd like to own them too, but boy they're expensive. They're out of print already, and go for pretty crazy prices on Ebay.

I read somewhere that Muchi Muchi Pork / Pink Sweets are 'easy' Cave games. Think another software house had a hand in them too?

I'd like to own them too, but boy they're expensive. They're out of print already, and go for pretty crazy prices on Ebay.

Cave games seem to retail for quite a lot in Japan when they launch.

I was delighted to get the reprints of Espgaluga II and Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 brand new, €80 for the pair. Platinum boxes actually look pretty damn good too.

I'll have to get the Muchi double pack shortly before it goes up even higher.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's funny, when I had more disposable income I didn't mind paying full whack for the original prints of Mushi and Espgaluda (latter with a free soundtrack, too). Looking back now, I do see it's more than a bit ridiculous paying 60-80 euro for a shooter. But I've played enough of each of those games to have made it worth every yen!

It's the perpetual problem with importing from Japan though - RRPs are very high indeed over there for all platforms. It's always worth checking if there's a Hong Kong version - they go for sometimes half the price with Japanese audio anyway! The HK PSN store for example sells the exact same titles as the Japanese one for sometimes considerably less than half the price.

It's funny, when I had more disposable income I didn't mind paying full whack for the original prints of Mushi and Espgaluda (latter with a free soundtrack, too). Looking back now, I do see it's more than a bit ridiculous paying 60-80 euro for a shooter. But I've played enough of each of those games to have made it worth every yen!

It's the perpetual problem with importing from Japan though - RRPs are very high indeed over there for all platforms. It's always worth checking if there's a Hong Kong version - they go for sometimes half the price with Japanese audio anyway! The HK PSN store for example sells the exact same titles as the Japanese one for sometimes considerably less than half the price.

Interesting. I only found out about how high Jap RRPs are when I went shopping for 360 shooters. Seeing that we actually get a better deal in Ireland over somewhere else on price for once is a shock it has to be said!

I personally don't mind paying €100 odd for a game if its going to keep me busy for a long time - thats the price for two 360 PAL games new, which might not last all that long, so it can be worth it if the game in question is really good. I know that I'll get my value out of the likes of Battle Garegga, Radiant Silvergun, Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 etc in the long term.

Got The Raiden Project running on the cab via ePSXe. Maybe I haven't hit the sweet spot with the video settings yet but even with scanlines turned on both of them look pretty cack compared to proper arcade games. Must spend some more time tinkering.

The first level in Raiden II looks like a carbon copy of the first game? Even the end of level bosses have the same bullet patterns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Got The Raiden Project running on the cab via ePSXe. Maybe I haven't hit the sweet spot with the video settings yet but even with scanlines turned on both of them look pretty cack compared to proper arcade games. Must spend some more time tinkering.

The first level in Raiden II looks like a carbon copy of the first game? Even the end of level bosses have the same bullet patterns.

PS1 emulation is bolloxed & overcomplicated plugin hell. They aimed at improving the visuals, rather than replicating them. Not my cuppa when it comes to emulation.

EnterNow wrote: »
    PS1 emulation is bolloxed & overcomplicated plugin hell. They aimed at improving the visuals, rather than replicating them. Not my cuppa when it comes to emulation.

The sound is crap too compared to the mame version of Raiden I. Just wanted to get some version of my legit copy (:p) of Raiden II running on the cab but tbh the av experience is very meh, and I'm not that picky about asthetics etc.

Every time I mention how crap PS1 emulation is on other forums I get shot down. It seems it's another bizarro topic where both me and enternow agree on it :)

Every time I mention how crap PS1 emulation is on other forums I get shot down. It seems it's another bizarro topic where both me and enternow agree on it :)

Seriously? How anyone finds PS1 emulation streamlined is beyond me :confused:

Yeah I was saying how it's far from accurate and how things like texture filtering can actually be bad for the visuals since many games like MGS use gaps in textures as holes that end up looking blurry instead of sharp. Also was saying as well how hard it is to replicate the fantastic sound hardware and had a few people tell me that it's really accurate. I find it a pain using plugins for specific games and other nonsense.

Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire and Darius Burst are currently filling my trouser area presently. Fine games!

Might slot in a little Espgaluda II on the iPad or XBOX 360 later (if the good woman stops watching Big Brother, argh!).

Cave has decided that shooting millions of bugs and mythical creatures in a colourful world of wonder is immense fun.

Cave is correct.

Had one of the most fun sessions all year last night whilst continuing my adventures in Mushihimesama Futari. This games has just so much packed into it, and I just love the art direction, both in-game and on the delicious case. Each gameplay mode just feels so fresh and different to the last. Thinking about shelling out the €12 for the Black Label DLC, but haven't a clue what the difference is....

I'll keep rotating this game with the similarly superb Espgaluda II every week until I sort myself out with Muchi Muchi.

The music on Stage 2 of Mushihimesama Futari is some of the best I ever heard.*

*though not as good as Dick Tracy on the Commodore 64.

Thinking about shelling out the €12 for the Black Label DLC, but haven't a clue what the difference is....

The DLC is available on the UK/Eire Marketplace oddly. I bought it when I bought the game. It's worth it as it opens up the Mega Black Label game mode. Super intense difficulty although some would argue not as difficult or manic as those contained on the disc.

Completist or not, you have to buy it. End of! :)

• Advertisement

I no doubt will! Will exhaust the modes on the disc first though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Marvel Superheroes: War of the Gems (SNES)
    TMNT 4: Turtles in Time (SNES)

Eh, I'm not digging the former all that much thus far, and its lackingness is only exacerbated by the playing the latter, which I'm finding to be one of the finer examples of the beat'em-up genre.

Just cleared Saturn valley (APPRECIATE), moved onto Fourside and defeated the No. 3 Moles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

EnterNow wrote: »
    Seriously? How anyone finds PS1 emulation streamlined is beyond me :confused:

Retro and Enternow agreeing:eek::eek:

ahitch61k.jpg

Just cleared Saturn valley (APPRECIATE), moved onto Fourside and defeated the No. 3 Moles.

Saturn Valley and Fourside are two of the best areas in the game. You'll really enjoy fourside. There's also some great satire on JRPG mcguffins coming up :)

I got out what are quite possibly my three favourite AES games last night for a bash - Real Bout Fatal Fury 2, The Last Blade 2 and King of Fighters '94.

I have mentioned the former before on here. Its is astounding - looks beautiful, plays very fast, responds to control inputs instantly and has a load of great characters to play as. Its art style is incredible as well. Its got one of my favourite covers too - so moodly, so evocative. ****ing essential!

The Last Blade 2 is as above, but with swords. It is every bit as good and plays like a dream. Another perfect game. Possibly even better than RBFF2. In fact it is, and thats coming from a Real Bout fanatic!

Lastly we come to King of Fighters '94; cheap as chips and proper old-school - holds a very special place in my heart. I first got really into SNK after playing Fatal Fury Special. Playing KoF '94 was the SNK fighter that first blew me away and then some. It is a far deeper game than Street Fighter II. It is less accessible, but is easily the best fighter of its generation (in my opinion anyway).

Now don't get me wrong, Street Fighter II is one of my favourite video games of all time, but KoF '94 is different and better in many regards - it is deeper in terms of its gameplay for a start. Think of Street Fighter II as Outrun 2 and KoF '94 as Forza Motorsport.

There are some incredible mechanics in '94 given its age, including desparation moves, charge bars, a pseudo-3D dodge mechanic, and truly jaw dropping stage introductions. The backgrounds and character line-up are excellent, as is the music. The move-lists are far longer than in Street Fighter. What I really like is the game's "heavy" feel, which makes the punches and kicks satisfying. This is a lot more "sim-like" than Street Fighter. It takes a long time to get used to for those brought up on Capcom's astounding series - but its worth it. It really is worth playing. And worth buying as its only about thirty quid!

King of Fighters '95 is an improvement in some regards, but loses something - the atmosphere just isn't quite right, and it just doesn't have the same impact as '94. It is the second and last of the initial "old school generation" of KoF - 1996 would completely change-up the series with the enjoyable and highly accessible KoF '96. But '94 is truly a special game, a magical experience that plays as well today as its did way back then...... truly a revolutionary video game that has sadly been overlooked by many in the West :(

• Advertisement

I heard the KoF games are like the star trek films but the even numbered years are the better ones. I always wanted to play KoF 94, all the magazines of the time were calling it the best fighting game ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I heard the KoF games are like the star trek films but the even numbered years are the better ones. I always wanted to play KoF 94, all the magazines of the time were calling it the best fighting game ever.

KOF XI bucks that trend for the better. I can't really disagree otherwise. I'm afraid to play '94, as I've seen folk who've been playing since its release, still not being able to beat Rugal's 2nd form and the chap makes me want to die in just about all his appearances.
    His vanilla form in Capcom vs SNK series being a minor exception.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Rugal's what now?
    The whole SNK fighter thing seems so technical and deep, I can't make head nor tail of it, it's just flailing about on the joystick for me!
    I have a bunch of the KoF games on the 111-1 cart and a proper copy of KoF'96 on MVS as well, someday, could be a long ways into the future admittedly, I will break those puppys out and play them, someday....

Playing a bit of Serious Sam HD, reliving the world of FPS' I missed out on as a wee lad.

They should call it Serious Strafe. Fun, although 50% of the game seems to be strafing out of the way while a bull creature runs at you. The other 50% is shooting the bull creature.

There's some truth to both points. I'd say in my opinion that KoF '94 is the best game from that time period, fighting-wise.

Regarding the KoF series as a whole, its a bit like this:

'94 & '95 - old school, hardcore fighting games with loads of moves compared to other fighters at the time. On paper '95 is the better game, but the heart still says '94 is where its at...

'96 - '98 KoF '96 is far more excessible than '94 or '95. Stripped back character move lists, rebalanced, new sprites and lovely controls. Fighters feel different - lighter even. A great game to start on for new AES / MVS owners and those new to KoF. '97 is a slight improvement, '98 has got some ugly looking levels and a boring stmosphere, a good deal overrated in my view, but its got a massive roster of fighters from the whole series to date. Very comprehensive game that should be respected, but missing a nice does of SNK presentational polish.

'99 & 2000 - Introduction of the "Strikers" system, whereby you can call in assistance from an off-screen fighter to help you out when you are in a spot of bother. A new, more realistic aesthetic and atmosphere. 2000 has some bland levels but has loads of fighters. Its a really excellent title, similar to '98 in its huge scope. The English AES version of 2000 is as rare at games come. It was released as the original SNK went wollop.

2001 - not made by SNK, but Eolith, a Korean firm. Probably the worst mainline KoF ever, though its still fun enough and not a total disaster as some would have you believe. Its an unneeded overhaul and ****s up some of the characters' move lists and abilities. Its unbalanced, has a near unbeatable final boss, has crap levels and its only real standout feature is its weighting of character selections depending on ho many fighters you select - one big tough dude or four weaker fighters - your choice.

2002 - another "Dream match" like '98 - ie its not canon. Great gameplay, a ridiculous amount of well balanced fighters, deep fighting, long move lists and some good music. Poor level backdrops for the most part and a flat atmosphere however. A big improvement for Eolith compared to 2001 however. Thing of its as a contemporary '98 basicly.

2003 - Superb. Last AES / MVS KoF and maybe the best. Some people have issues with the balance of the game and some gameplay ommissions, but I love it. Very deep, great atmosphere, fresh mechanics, lovely visuals and nearly as good as...

XI - Atomiswave and PS2. Essential. Best KoF ever, EASILY. Insanely deep, beautiful to look at, loads of fighters, great controls - ****ty final boss aside, this is practically faultless. Better than anything I've ever played from Capcom, inluding SF IV or any of the Alphas.

NeoWave - A pseudo remake of 2002 on the Atomiswave. Has a very interesting ISM-style fighting mode system. Very ****ing deep even without this. I love the graphics and the line-up of characters. A lot of people moan about it, but for me its possibly the second best game in the series. Dirt cheap and easy enough to source on PS2.

Maximum Impact - 3D KoFs..... yeah, you can probably guess where this is going. They are fun in small doses, but shouldn't be taken too seriously. Nice distractions for fans though.

Remakes - '94, '98 and 2002 were all remade. '94 was remade on PS2 in Japan and looks stunning. '98 had a UM remake and came out on XBLA everywhere and PS2 in some countries (In APL-land I think Italy got it in a small amount). 2002 UM is out on Japanese PS2 and on XBLA - its superb.

XII - EXTREMELY underrated, and I mean EXTREMELY in big ****-off style capitals :p The gameplay in XII is amazing. Its fun, deep and satisfying. Sure, there is no final boss, there are but a handful of levels, some of the characters were butchered, others left out, but... for that first weekend that I had the game on my 360.... well it was one of the best gaming weekends of my life. This game is incredible - much better than any other fighter on 360 in my completelu unshared view. Just the fighting action... uh, it was so fast, responsive, fluid, engrossing, exciting, rewarding, contemporary and cool. Stunning visuals - seat of the pant stuff when the balanced fights got going.

XIII - out in October. Promises to improve and expand on XII. If it does... well it will be incredible, seriously. Colud be the best game ever by SNK if it nails it.

In short, for those of you interested in KoF and can't be bothered to read all that (and I wouldn't blame you - I don't half go on sometimes :o ) KoF's '94, '98, 2002, 2003, NeoWave and XI are the way to go for long term appeal. But you can't go too far wrong with any of them really....

'94 really is lovely though, as is XI.... Ah I'll shut up now :D

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    KOF XI bucks that trend for the better. I can't really disagree otherwise. I'm afraid to play '94, as I've seen folk who've been playing since its release, still not being able to beat Rugal's 2nd form and the chap makes me want to die in just about all his appearances.
    His vanilla form in Capcom vs SNK series being a minor exception.

He's hard but.... there are far harder SNK bosses to be honest with you. 2001's boss is a disgrace, as is XI's unless tackled in "Arrange" mode, in which he is not the coin-gobbling prick he is designed to be in the arcade...

Tip - get used to the "3D" dodge (tap A + B together) and his is beatable with practice and with a bit of cheap-ass running down the clock action! :p

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Rugal's what now?
    The whole SNK fighter thing seems so technical and deep, I can't make head nor tail of it, it's just flailing about on the joystick for me!
    I have a bunch of the KoF games on the 111-1 cart and a proper copy of KoF'96 on MVS as well, someday, could be a long ways into the future admittedly, I will break those puppys out and play them, someday....

I'll give you some advice into how I got into (and subsequently became obsessed with) SNK fighters - you got to go back to the series foundations, its grassroots....

My first SNK game was the PS2 King of Fighters Collection disc, which had KoFs 2000 and 2001 bundled together on there. I really didn't take to it, even though I tried my best - it was just far too inaccessible. It was like trying to get into Virtua Fighter starting at version 4 or 5 - it was next to impossible. For a start, who the eff do you pick? There's about a million guys on the character select screen! :eek: If you pick a character like Ryo who is close to Street Fighter's Ryu, and try to play the game like Street Fighter then you are screwed - this is not Street Fighter - this is a tougher, grittier, much more unforgiving video game than Capcom's beautifully polished, lightning fast beat 'em-up series.

So what you need to do is go back in time, and play the two game series that lead to KoF - Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting.

I'd start with the excellent little Fatal Fury Special. This is a kind of remake, or update of Fatal Fury 2. Both Fatal Fury 1 and 2 are good, but dated. Fatal Fury Special is still a fun game to play - a bit like Street Figher II Turbo is great today still, even though the first Street Fighter II is now quite slow and dated to a degree. Special is Fatal Fury 2, but vastly improved in its playability owing to a new combo system, quicker gameplay and more characters to play as.

Once you get a hang and a feel for Special, and like a character or three, try out the first Art of Fighting game (2 is **** and 3 very different to ant SNK game ever released - its superb, but we'll talk about that baby another day!).

Now this is quite a poor game, if Art of Fighting 1 - I will be the first to admit that. But... it will introduce you to the other side of the SNK fighting coin of the early 90's. It is a "heavy" feeling fighter, realistic, satisfying when its good, and very gritty. Its ****ing great at times, ridiculously frustrating at others. Don't even attempt to master it as its not worth the hassle, but do enjoy it for what it is - a tough, hardcore early 90's fighter, which is badly flawed, but contains a real statement of intent - SNK doesn't **** about!

Once you are familiar with both Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting, try out King of Fighters '94. Its got several fighters from both the above, plus other SNK characters from older 8-bit SNK games like Ikari Warriors. There are also some new characters in there as well - each of whom wants to attain the "King of Fighters" title for themselves.

With some practice, and steering clear of Capcom's fighters for a while, gamers weaned on a healthy diet of Street Fighter will begin to acclimatise to the feel and style of gameplay present in SNK world renouned fighting games.

Now some people do just take to SNK fighters instantly, but its hard at the start for most, but worth the time investment. Once '94 is mastered then a trip through the whole series is easy enough to do, once you know the ropes, at which point a wonderful journey discovering some incredible gameplay systems, and some of the most challenging bosses in fighting game history, awaits the player :)

Could cost a few bob though, so be warned!

Any advice about getting into Samurai Shodown? I love the series but I'm really crap at it!

Any advice about getting into Samurai Shodown Street Fighter 4? I love the series but I'm really crap at it!

Sorry man, but WAY too much an obvious one to pass up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

You want fighting games,come over to the dark side
    Come over to the fighting games forum where dreams become reality(possibly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Playing Dark Seal at the moment.
    I stumbled upon it and the memories came flooding back.
    It was the first Isometric "adventure" type game I remember seeing and playing in the arcade environemt and it seemed out of place.Baldurs gate in the making but with a shump mix
    Great stuff anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Could cost a few bob though, so be warned!

Nope, won't cost me a penny more, I have a ton of unplayed NeoGeo fighting games on the 111 in 1 MVS in my consolised sytem.
    I have a hacked Dreamcast Arcade Stick and an AES stick doing the controlling duties.
    Up to now I have used it mainly for Metal Slugs, Aero Fighters, the occasional game of Last Blade and Pulstar and Blazing Stars but I will break out the KOF and FF series for a blast.

I loved Samurai Shodown II, I had it on the 3DO of all machines and a damn fine conversion it was too, far ahead of the other home editions, keeping the screen scaling and most of the animation too, brilliant!

Any advice about getting into Samurai Shodown? I love the series but I'm really crap at it!

Want me to be totally blunt? Don't bother - play the Last Blade games instead.... they are better games, and were basicly SNK creating a more realistic weapons-based fighting game series with a more serious, mature feel. The first is very accessible, the second less so. They look and sound incredible. Could bring a tear to the eye they could as they are so evocative and atmospheric..... truly atounding video games that are well worth the considerable cost as you will play them for years.

But.... the Samurai Shodown series is still good fun, though a little over rated in my opinion. Saying you shouldn't play them is a bit harsh.

A lot of people do go on about SamSho II as its often many people's first or only experience of SNK beat 'em-ups. Back when it came out in arcades it was very different to everything else, plus it was quite violent. This gave it a lot of fans. Today though I believe that the series is somewhat dated, and made largely redundant by the superior Last Blade series, which was designed to succeed the SamSho series. Here's a quick rundown anyway....

Samurai Shodown 1 - dated looking, controls aren't great. Quite slow, but okay in small doses. Cheap as chips though.

SamSho II - A darker looking game than 1. Improved gameplay, and a so-so line-up of fighters. Its very slow and a "considered" fighting game with no combos - eff up and leave yourself open and you will be punished. Best played in two-player if you want a patient, tense fight with a friend. Single-player is very hard. A good game, highly regarded, but far from being the best weapons-base fighter in existance, as some would have you believe (in my view of course, others will disgaree no doubt, but they are entitled to their opinion!). To play it requires dedication and practice and a good understanding of your enemies' abilities.

SamSho III - Each strikes takes off a ****-load of health, meaning fights can be over very quickly. A new line-up of fighters for the most part. Very very dark in its visual design. Has two types of fighting "mode" - 'Bust' and 'Slash'. Quite buggy, but some hardcore types really dig it!

SamSho IV - Similar to III, but polished and tweaked. Still drab and dark though for a fighting game.... You now have two energy bars, so bouts are longer.

SamSho V / Zero - A prequel released in about 2003, about seven years after IV. Gorgeous box art! But... its got a lot of re-used assets from IV, is considered very unbalanced and a bit of a mess by some SNK fans. An interesting game though none-the-less.

SamSho V / Zero Special - a brand new game than fixes the issues found to be in V / Zero by fans. Looks astounding. The last official AES / MVS game, coming out in 2004, and exclusive to the Neo Geo format. Plays very well, and includes fatalities. SNK Playmore recalled this game to sort out the level of gore in it, so those that are unaltered, known as "unfixed" in eBay listing, are as rare as hens' teeth, but are censored to a degree. They go for silly money on eBay, as do "fixed" copies, though the latter are cheaper.

SamSho VI - Atomisawave game, looks good. "Dream match", like King of Fighter '98 and 2002, in that it has characters from across the whole series, even if they "died" in the story.

Others: SamSho Sen is an arcade and Xbox 360 game - is okay, but in 3D. A bit like the Neo Geo 64 version - its alright but nothing special. Neo Geo Pocket and Neo Geo Pocket Colour games are said to be very good.

I hope that gives you an idea at which title to start playing. I suppose SamSho II or IV are the way to go, but its by no means perfect. The whole series has issues and its no wonder you are having problems with it. Just break open the piggy bank, eat beans for a week or work an extra shift or two and invest in The Last Blade 1 or 2 in whatever format you desire. They really are the way to go....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Playing Zelda Links Awakening DX on the 101 GBA. Don't have the time to play it but just two more dungeons to go.. Have to say I’m really enjoying this game (again)

Also found myself face to face with old workstations running Grannies Garden this week so had a game of that :p

Managed to get some cab time in tonight. Raiden still breaking my balls, finding it hard to get back to level 3. Gave Dodonpachi, Tetris and Sunset Riders a lash before 1 cc'ing Aliens on my first attempt, that brought back fond memories of Amusement City in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Playing Zelda Links Awakening DX on the 101 GBA. Don't have the time to play it but just two more dungeons to go.. Have to say I’m really enjoying this game (again)

Also found myself face to face with old workstations running Grannies Garden this week so had a game of that :p

Just started DX this week myself, my favourite GB game by far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement