Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I like your sig :P

o1s1n again, what can I say, the man is sig gold :D

The Halo teabagging one got the runner up place, but I can't remember it to quote it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What can I say, I live to offend and attach completely baseless rumours to people. :D

Excluding Retr0 of course. Everything I've ever said about him is 100% fact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Of course, it is on occasion, his own skirt he is looking up....

Mirror on the floor...
    Kodak in one hand...

Hair trimmer in the other ?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

EnterNow wrote: »
    9 Hours is p1ssing me off at this point. I've got three outta the 6 endings, problem is replaying the game & saying something like "Excuse me, sorry about that" instead of "Really sorry there" means the difference between life & death. Hate that bs, great game, good enough to play through 3 times in a row, it's getting a bit much though

I know how frustrating that game gets, I eventually gave up and used the FAQ. There are just too many time consuming combinations to try. The story is too cryptic to make any sensible decisions when trying to progress any further in the game.

Anyone ever played Syberia? It's a point & click game, need something to do other than 9 Hours. (I know you hate it Retr0, seems interesting though)

Might take a look at Professor Clayton & The Curious Village too over yule-tide, never played any of the layton games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

hitting up a bit of vice city at the minute, forgot how great this was, and i only got about 3 missions in before having to go off, i would be further only first thing i had to do was go on a rampage :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's cheap on GoG, you might like it, some people do. There's better point and clicks out there.

Time Hollows on DS is meant to be really good if you want to try it.

Master of the Universe

Wow, after playing Dark Souls, you really do feel like a complete failure when a Mario boss beats you more than twice in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

o1s1n wrote: »
    Wow, after playing Dark Souls, you really do feel like a complete failure when a Mario boss beats you more than twice in a row.

Complete failure is when your given the special suit to pass the stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Playing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on PSP all day yesterday, nice looking game, good controls etc. but extremly painful to play. It took hours to even get going and then goes straight to slogging along wearing me down.

Now I know the old Japanese love a bit of torture but come on there has to be a limit to it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Monster Hunter is proof that - as much as we like to think Japan is a glorious land of A-Grade shmups, RPGs and Platinum games - the average Japanese gamer has even worse taste than the average Western gamer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hate monster hunter as well and how it's ruining every RPG franchise in Japan. It's like they can't make an RPG anymore unless it's on the PSP (0.00001% chance of a western release), an action RPG with awful camera controls, and has tonnes and tonnes or needless grinding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Monster Hunter is proof that - as much as we like to think Japan is a glorious land of A-Grade shmups, RPGs and Platinum games - the average Japanese gamer has even worse taste than the average Western gamer.
    I hate monster hunter as well and how it's ruining every RPG franchise in Japan. It's like they can't make an RPG anymore unless it's on the PSP (0.00001% chance of a western release), an action RPG with awful camera controls, and has tonnes and tonnes or needless grinding.

Yep it's pretty weak alright but I thought I'd like it right up to the time I started playing it.
    Even the tutorial is endless grinding and the game supposedly has over 500 hours with 400 quests to complete... No thank you!!

On a more positive note God of War GoS is really good and the graphics are superb, only played the first 2 levels but it's really good so far... the DS still kicks its ass though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just tried the first 5 minutes of El Shaddai and, wow, it's weird, makes Bayonetta look sane.
    The combat system seems way simple, this button to attack, this to guard, this to jump, if I didn't know better I'd say there's a stank of SoR off of it!
    The visuals are pretty impressive, not sure if the old lava/winter/green grass of home levels are going to crop up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Thanks for the Chrono Trigger recommendations, it was possibly the best RPG I've played on SNES, definitely up there with FFVI!

I'm just starting on Secret of Mana now, it's a bit on the tough side though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Thanks for the Chrono Trigger recommendations, it was possibly the best RPG I've played on SNES, definitely up there with FFVI!

I'm just starting on Secret of Mana now, it's a bit on the tough side though...

The bit in the woods wrecked my head back when I played it originally. Winter to summer to autumn :mad:

Have to say I love Mario 3D just passed it there now and unlocked special world. The final Bowser battle was the best Bowser battle ever, not at all as disappointing as the fight at the end of Mario 3 on the NES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Not really retro but playing a good bit of Touch My Katamari on the PS Vita.
    I didn't think I'd play it that much as it didn't really look like my cup of tea. But after getting used to it I have to say its loads of fun and the back touch panel on the vita is very intuitive once you remember its there.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is great as well and looks pretty good.

Edit:
    Also, just a note on battery life.
    It's god damn awful.

Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    Edit:
    Also, just a note on battery life.
    It's god damn awful.

Any worse than the 3ds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    Any worse than the 3ds?

I think the Vita battery life is a little better than the 3DS if the 3DS has the 3D slider on. If the slider is off then its about the same(3-4 hours of play time on an graphically intensive game).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

From what I have heard, Akai Katana is coming to Vita. It can have 15 mins battery life for all I care! :)

• Advertisement

Not to be too cynical but aren't all Katamari games, since the first one, just tributes to the first one?
    They keep the visuals, sonics and controls and that's all we want.
    Then they try to spice up each iteration with some gameplay addition that just gets panned in the reviews.
    I have a whole bunch of Katamari titles, starting with the fist PAL one here on the PS2, itself a tribute to it's predecessor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Katamari was a wonderfully unexpected and original idea ran into the ground by a studio who ironically made it one of those franchises the first game was a direct response to. It's telling the creator ****ed off after one sequel (and a sequel he was initially reluctant to make, at that).

We Love Katamari is still one of my all time favourites though. Still wish Damacy would have gotten a PAL release :(

I must try to pick it up, should work just fine on the TEST PS2 Kerbdog has kindly given to the Ciderman/Gordon Freeman Gaming Museum...

Watching lots of Adventure Time with my son, "procured" 3 seasons and it's lots of fun, barking mad but lots of fun.
    I'm a bit troubled by the Mushroom Wars and the copious amounts of wreckage from our now dead civilisation, it seems to be everywhere, in spite of the candy coloured goings on elsewhere.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I must try to pick it up, should work just fine on the TEST PS2 Kerbdog has kindly given to the Ciderman/Gordon Freeman Gaming Museum...

Watching lots of Adventure Time with my son, "procured" 3 seasons and it's lots of fun, barking mad but lots of fun.
    I'm a bit troubled by the Mushroom Wars and the copious amounts of wreckage from our now dead civilisation, it seems to be everywhere, in spite of the candy coloured goings on elsewhere.

Annoying isn't it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

What would happen if you mashed up Mario Bros. and Katamari Damacy?

I think I need to hook up some sort of storage device to my PS2 and get Katamari. Can only find NTSC versions of the game on ebay and it aint cheap.

What's the best way of modding a PS2 these days?

waveform wrote: »
    What's the best way of modding a PS2 these days?

Free McBoot. It's a softmod exploit that lives on the memory card. Remove the card & your PS2 returns to stock.

It will enable multi-region, hdd loader, & other stuff Ciderman knows about. :D

Free McBoot. It's a softmod exploit that lives on the memory card. Remove the card & your PS2 returns to stock.

It will enable multi-region, hdd loader, & other stuff Ciderman knows about. :D

Arrrrrr! Nice one matey!

I be looking into the McBoot fellow, and ESR.

I wonder if it can read rewriteables.

Edit: Jesus I am seriously such a cheap bastard, I mean REWRITABLES LOL!

waveform wrote: »
    Arrrrrr! Nice one matey!

I be looking into the McBoot fellow, and ESR.

I wonder if it can read rewriteables.

Edit: Jesus I am seriously such a cheap bastard, I mean REWRITABLES LOL!

The cheapness of dvdr's made rewriteables defunk really. ESR in its native state won't allow for piracy, you need to patch game images if I recall. HD Loader, similarly, won't allow a burned disc to be dumped to the HDD.

Annoying isn't it :D

Are you suggesting that the song is annoying, because it isn't a patch on the Lazytown Pirate song.
    Are you suggesting that my posting an important, public service announcement about the devilry that is piracy, in the form of the aforementioned Lazytown Pirate video, is annoying??

Help me out here?
    How am I to modify my behaviour to be more acceptable to the little folk who frequent the forum?

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting that the song is annoying, because it isn't a patch on the Lazytown Pirate song.
    Are you suggesting that my posting an important, public service announcement about the devilry that is piracy, in the form of the aforementioned Lazytown Pirate video, is annoying??

Help me out here?
    How am I to modify my behaviour to be more acceptable to the little folk who frequent the forum?

The irony of ironies :D

Hmm,
    to use the homebrew channel to sort my my behaviour or find a neuro-surgeon sober enough to pop a mod-chip into my limbic system...

The search continues....

The cheapness of dvdr's made rewriteables defunk really. ESR in its native state won't allow for piracy, you need to patch game images if I recall. HD Loader, similarly, won't allow a burned disc to be dumped to the HDD.

haha, i just have a few DVD-RWs at hand to try out it if it works.

ESR patcher is the tool you can use to burn the games, I didn't realize ESR was the name of the homebrew app also!

Happy days!
    Seems like my busted Wii days are over!
    Seems Wii consoles are going for as little as 50 on Adverts right now.
    That's cheaper than a repair, plus I have the games that you need to get the HBC back uo and running!
    Fingers crossed I'll be back playing my illegitimately bought Wii titles in jig time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Happy days!
    Seems like my busted Wii days are over!
    Seems Wii consoles are going for as little as 50 on Adverts right now.
    That's cheaper than a repair, plus I have the games that you need to get the HBC back uo and running!
    Fingers crossed I'll be back playing my illegitimately bought Wii titles in jig time!

You dont need a exploit game now m8

Just look into letterbomb for the 4.3 wiis:D

50 euro, interesting that i may have to invest.

im still playing vice city. so fracking addicted to it again, except this time ive gotten in a week to where it wouldve taken me a month solid to get to,

on to san andreas next.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

If you guys are buying second hand Wiis, just make sure to test them out in case they're suffering from that GPU problem.

Black speckles on the screen are the onset of it.

is the gpu chip dyin altogether or is it just a 360 style death? i.e sorted by a reflow

Master of the Universe

As far as I know, it's totally ruined due to heat and you need a new GPU.

It's caused by Wiiconnect24 being on and trying to update all the time. Make sure any Wii you have has this disabled. Apparantly it's been fixed in a firmware update, but I wouldn't be too sure!

The GPU failure is in earlier models and, I'd say, just turn of Wiiconnect and you're laughing.
    The effect, for me, emerged with flickering contrast issues, then the screen would tear and go to black but still the sound of the game running in the background.
    Later the tearing became more immediate and now the Wii is virtually unusable.
    A part of me is kinda impressed, a design flaw that only raises it's head after the announcement of the WiiU... I wonder what was really in the 4.3 update ;) (only kidding Nintendo, I love you...)

The GPU failure is in earlier models and, I'd say, just turn of Wiiconnect and you're laughing.
    The effect, for me, emerged with flickering contrast issues, then the screen would tear and go to black but still the sound of the game running in the background.
    Later the tearing became more immediate and now the Wii is virtually unusable.
    A part of me is kinda impressed, a design flaw that only raises it's head after the announcement of the WiiU... I wonder what was really in the 4.3 update ;) (only kidding Nintendo, I love you...)

WiiConnect24 was a soft-mod killer was it not, silently updating your firmware... I'm surprised you had it switched on Cidona?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I've been sinking lots of time in Donkey Kong Country 2 because I felt I didn't have enough contempt for this whole life business. Marvellous game, though.

Not a fan of DKC2. Competent platformer but nothing more.

WiiConnect24 was a soft-mod killer was it not, silently updating your firmware... I'm surprised you had it switched on Cidona?

I was a real man (once)
    I had a launch Wii and hard modded it as soon as the Wiikey was released.

None of this wussy soft modding malarkey for me!

That said it was at the time that most ways to make sure your Wii is up to speed and capable of running everything you throw at it is geared towards softmodded consoles.

So, next time, it's softmods all the way.

Not a fan of DKC2. Competent platformer but nothing more.

Yeah, I read your blog on it yonks ago. How come you didn't play DKC3?

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Yeah, I read your blog on it yonks ago. How come you didn't play DKC3?

Most people haven't, it came out really late in the SNES's life span. I've been meaning to get around to it but at the moment I'm still trying to stop procrastinating on a yoshi'd island polay through.

Played it, finished it, it's good fun but I think isn't as good as DKC2 and I overall would prefer Yoshi's Island instead, one of the other handful of AAA games released late in the Snes' life, the other one being Street Fighter Alpha.

Alpha 2 on the SNES is a game that shouldn't exist, logically and practically speaking. It was like some masochistic coder's wet-dream trying to convert that baby into 16 bits. The real boon is that, aside from the slightly surreal loading times, it manages to be a good game.

Master of the Universe

People always make that loading out to be a big deal. I'm pretty sure it's just the cart loading sound effects onto the sound chip. The game is an amazing port. One I really need to pick up a cart of!

It's actually the game decompressing animations into ram on the cart. Not a big deal when you considering how much animation they managed to cram into that game. Really fluid and close to the arcade machine. It's better than Batman Forever on the SNES which had loading times and still looked like absolute ass.

Master of the Universe

Ah it was wiki where I read that about the sound chip, must google around to see if that's true -

A Super NES port was also released in 1996. This version makes use of the S-DD1 chip for on-the-fly graphic decompression. Despite the graphics decompression chip, this version has loading delays when entering matches while sounds are loaded onto the sound chip

• Advertisement
Advertisement