Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Rising Star have a decent set of tutorial videos. The first one is very basic, but the other ones linked at the end of the video give an overview of the mechanics in the different modes:

You'll need to play quite a bit to figure out the subtleties of the systems, but that should get you started. Slash Mode is terrific fun and the mechanics aren't too bad to get to grips with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I think I've just copped on...somewhat!
    Build up energy meter to transform by auto firing.
    While tapping builds the other power that converts into those orb things when you transform.
    Then when you transform back you unleash all the katanas you've amassed.
    Phew..took a while...how does scoring system work though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Katanas split bullets into gold, so it's about getting as many bullets and enemies on screen as possible before unleashing them. Also very effective on bosses too.

You have to actively collect the gold - it loses its value as it gets sucked towards your ship. So you have to 'follow' your katanas to get the max gold values.

Also, keeping you combo meter up is key. Further influences the amount of gold / multipliers you get.

Eureka...Its actually a great mechanic I must say.
    Really enjoyable once it clicks.
    This is shaping up to be one of my fave shumps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Was in the mood for some Shmups after the above discussion. Couldn't find my Under Defeat anywhere though. I'd also gotten a new laptop between now and when I previously backed up all my DC games (!), so didn't have Discjuggler installed.

Tried to install it but couldn't get it going with Windows 7. Found an alternative - ImgBurn. And to my absolute joy, it works 100% of the time, every time! Discjuggler on the other hand was probably about 60% successful (meaning me destroying the environment with borked discs)

So anyway, got to try out a load of Shmups I haven't been able to get working before. Only verticals, so I can use them on the Ikea cab.

Triggerheart Exelica and Radilgy are brilliant! Radilgy along with the scanlines and cel shaded art looks beautiful, while Exelica has some insane bullet patterns with very high FPS rates and no slowdown going on.

I think I'm just going to make that Ikea unit into a dedicated Dreamcast cabinet. Take out the laptop and put the DC in the drawer.

Nice one..disc juggler seem to give me random results..prob 1 in 5 CDRs are fecked in the bin.
    I'll give image burn a go so.
    DC pad hacks coming in the post this week so I can't wait to hook up my cab to a DC
    What version you using and is there settings that need to be tinkered with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was going to play either one of these amazing games...

j8nGv.jpg

But I decided to put away childish things and play these instead!
    qn67w.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

Been playing DoDonpachi Daifukkatsu 1.5 on the 360 .
    Game didn't click with me at all when I first played it because of all the bullet cancelling and extreme use of hypers , I'm more fan of old style Cave so I ignored it for the most part that I have it like Akai Katana .
    This week I played it again and for some reason I really got in to it , was close to 1cc'ing it tonight although my score still sucks because I use the hypers when I shouldn't, miss bees while chaining or lose the damn chain altogether .

All these CAVE boards laying around but now I'm back at the 360 , I think I need the board :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

@Ciderman: A wise choice indeed.

Must say I wasn't impressed at all with The Raiden Project, partly because I have the pcbs but mainly because of the atrocious game settings - you can rotate the screen but the controls don't get rotated along with it (think I read there might have been a fix/hack to get them working but cba with that). DX is a far superior port, brilliant game.

Master of the Universe

The rotate problem is a biggie, but other than that, The Raiden Project is a perfect port of both games. It's definitely worth having.

In fact it's the only way of playing Raiden 2 if you don't own the board.

It's probably possible to get around the rotate issue if you use it with a ps1 emulator.

One of these days I'll get around to picking up DX myself. Definitely the best out of the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Andrew76 wrote: »
    @Ciderman: A wise choice indeed.

Must say I wasn't impressed at all with The Raiden Project, partly because I have the pcbs but mainly because of the atrocious game settings - you can rotate the screen but the controls don't get rotated along with it (think I read there might have been a fix/hack to get them working but cba with that). DX is a far superior port, brilliant game.

Actually, there is no control issue at all.
    I play the PAL version you see there with my lovely Namco stick on a 'tated Philips TV, controls proper and correct via onscreen menu.
    No probs.

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Actually, there is no control issue at all.
    I play the PAL version you see there with my lovely Namco stick on a 'tated Philips TV, controls proper and correct via onscreen menu.
    No probs.

You sure you're not confusing the versions? You can tate the screen in The Raiden Project, but the controls don't tate with it. So it's unplayable. It's a known error with the game. Some people even hack pads to work just with that one game.

Unless you've managed to get some crazy assed PAL version which works properly?! :eek:

o1s1n wrote: »
    You sure you're not confusing the versions? You can tate the screen in The Raiden Project, but the controls don't tate with it. So it's unplayable. It's a known error with the game. Some people even hack pads to work just with that one game.

Unless you've managed to get some crazy assed PAL version which works properly?! :eek:

Yeah just did some Googling, seems the PAL version's tate mode works fine with the controls, but the game is in 50Hz. NSTC-J/U versions have the tate control problem that needs the game code lark.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Triggerheart Exelica and Radilgy are brilliant! Radilgy along with the scanlines and cel shaded art looks beautiful, while Exelica has some insane bullet patterns with very high FPS rates and no slowdown going on.

Wasn't a fan of either of those games. I don't really like danmakus but those ones in particular I found really dull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

I liked Triggerheart Exelica and that little Puppet that came with it , Radilgy plays awesome but the art style is a bit weird .

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wasn't a fan of either of those games. I don't really like danmakus but those ones in particular I found really dull.

You sure you've played Radilgy? It's a really nice standard cel shaded shmup. Not a danmaku/bullet hell game.

No youtube videos do it justice, it looks really love running on the console.

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Yeah just did some Googling, seems the PAL version's tate mode works fine with the controls, but the game is in 50Hz. NSTC-J/U versions have the tate control problem that needs the game code lark.

Serious? I must be wrong so, sorry Ciderdude!

Could have sworn my Raiden project rotated the screen but not the controls (so you could play it like a side scrolling shmup)

Serious? I must be wrong so, sorry Ciderdude!

Could have sworn my Raiden project rotated the screen but not the controls (so you could play it like a side scrolling shmup)

Mine was definitely like that also. Seems like the PAL release was an exception.

Master of the Universe

Mine is the PAL release though, I've had an original copy since just after it came out! :D 7 pounds in Smyths. Shame I didn't know it would go up in price, they had loads of them!

• Advertisement

Mine is the PAL release though, I've had an original copy since just after it came out! :D 7 pounds in Smyths. Shame I didn't know it would go up in price, they had loads of them!

Found a thread earlier on shmups about a game genie type code that sorts the problem for the NTSC releases and a different post saying pal was fine. The version I had was a download that was deleted after 5 mins, it must have been ntsc-j. Maybe go back and try yours again sometime? :)

Never knew Raiden Project was worth anything, really?
    It's far too good to trade in though, a smashing game....
    Even if it is in 50Hz...
    What does that mean, in this case?

Never knew Raiden Project was worth anything, really?
    It's far too good to trade in though, a smashing game....
    Even if it is in 50Hz...
    What does that mean, in this case?

Master of the Universe

Ah it's not worth millions, probably about 30 euro. And I'd say if you sniped it you could get it a good bit cheaper.

50hz will mean it's 17.5% slower than it should be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You sure you've played Radilgy? It's a really nice standard cel shaded shmup. Not a danmaku/bullet hell game.

Yeah that's the one I played. I only played it the once but ended up turning it off after a few levels mid-game since it was so boring. It looks nice but there's not a lot to it.

50hz will mean it's 17.5% slower than it should be.

:(

• Advertisement

Just started into Etrian Odyssey and so far it's superb, probably the best dungeon crawler I've ever played. There's so many great little systems, the FOE one being the most interesting and sometimes ball breakingly tough one. I'd definitely recommend it to people that want a challenging RPG. Also the soundtrack is by Yuzo Koshiro and was composed on NEC PC-88 and sounds glorious.

I've always been a little on the dismissive side of Deus Ex sequels, but picked up Human Revolution in a recent sale. Spent a few hours with it last night and *whisper it* it's actually not bad at all. Managed to get through the first extended mission without firing a shot, and some welcome throwbacks to the original (even the angle as you speed away in a helicopter seems the same). It's too early to call whether the whole thing lives up to its predecessor, and I've heard nowt but bad things about the boss battles, but early indicators suggest this might actually be a semi-worthy sequel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Playing Forza 4 at the moment. I needed a break after long involving games like LA Noire, so a nice fast paced race simulation sounded exactly like what the doctor ordered!

Its pretty good. Seems way better than Dirt 3 which I cleared on pc a while back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I agree on the boss battle on deus ex but aprt from that the game is really good and I really enjoyed it when I played though it

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Playing Forza 4 at the moment. I needed a break after long involving games like LA Noire, so a nice fast paced race simulation sounded exactly like what the doctor ordered!

Its pretty good. Seems way better than Dirt 3 which I cleared on pc a while back

Sometimes (rarely, but sometimes) I love to get my teeth stuck into a good driving sim.

Before Retr0 come in with his 'why would you want to play a driving sim, it's just the same as driving, F-Zero DX FTW!' comments - I still can't drive. So a standard driving sim might as well be a flight sim as far as I'm concerned :pac:

• Advertisement

Sometimes (rarely, but sometimes) I love to get my teeth stuck into a good driving sim.

Before Retr0 come in with his 'why would you want to play a driving sim, it's just the same as driving, F-Zero DX FTW!' comments - I still can't drive. So a standard driving sim might as well be a flight sim as far as I'm concerned :pac:

I like Arcade style racers. I also like in-betweeners like Forza & Gran Turismo, which I wouldn't call racing sims { i know I did above, mistake tho}. Actual racing sims need a proper setup, proper wheel & pedal, powerhouse of a pc, really good screen/seating position etc. Much the same as flight sims in that respect.

But when you want to race, without having the hangups that sims do, Forza etc fill that gap nicely. As for why you'd want to play them? Maybe when Retr0 gets bored of Superman 64 & his CD-i he'll understand :D Just a change of pace is all really tho

Thankfully no DRS in that says you. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I've been Fantasy Zone (NES) like a fiend all week. I'm at the point that I can honestly say I'm an addict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I enjoy a game of Dirt 3 on the PC from time to time. Sound up high, 3D glasses on, internal view selected and a dark rainy track (Finland perhaps).
    It's pretty darn good :)

If you have the means and space, I heartily recommend a decent Logitech wheel and a Wheel Stand Pro.

When I get back on my feet with money, I'm half thinking of doing a projector setup in the shed where my cabs are for racing games. Loadsa space, all nicely lit & carpeted it is so its begging for either that or a huge Scalextric set :o

But a proper car seat maybe, good set of pedals & wheel, 7.1 surround, huge projection screen...hmm, me likey

Pokemon + cars - fun = Gran Turismo/Forza

Aw, you must be rubbish at driving games man :o:p Still, can't be good at everything!

I haven't played Forza tbh but Retr0 is right about GT.
    I haven't had fun with that series proper since GT2, and I had some fun with Gran Turismo Concept 2002, but that was it.

MSR, PGR4, they are my favourite racing titles, I seem to own lots though!

Colin McCrea 2 on the PS is another, along with the ubiquitous F1'97.

I haven't played Forza tbh but Retr0 is right about GT.
    I haven't had fun with that series proper since GT2, and I had some fun with Gran Turismo Concept 2002, but that was it.

MSR, PGR4, they are my favourite racing titles, I seem to own lots though!

Colin McCrea 2 on the PS is another, along with the ubiquitous F1'97.

PGR etc are too arcadey though, if your gonna play those you may as well play Daytona or Sega Rally etc. The newer arcadey racers like Sega Rally 2 are utter tripe, old school is still where its at there. MSR is good though for a a blast.

Colin McRae 1 on the Ps1 blew me away, fantastic game & was perfect back then as a semi-serious racer/rally game. The series went downhill drastically though.

Regards Gran Turismo, again the first one was a marvel, nothing like it was seen at the time & I remember it well. Never played or got into any of the sequels, they never felt quite right...hard to put a finger on it.

I have a copy of GT Concept, its still sealed from when I bought it. I suspect it aint worth opening :o

• Advertisement

Why would I want to slow down, check what gear I'm in and keep the perfect racing line when I can put in a game and take a corner sideways at full speed while powersliding/airbraking.

You should all be playing Outrun 2!

Why would I want to slow down, check what gear I'm in and keep the perfect racing line when I can put in a game and take a corner sideways at full speed while powersliding/airbraking.

As much as I love all that, & bear in mind I've a Ridge Racer cab, the sense of satisfaction is higher in games that challenge you more to get it right. See below for why.

As fun & gorgeous as it is, the day I drifted around a corner facing the wrong way was the last day I played it. It's pointless fun, whereas your rewarded in the more challenging games.

If you think stuff like Forza is sim like, you should try Richard Burns Rally. It'll crucify you & is still today regarded as one of the best rally/sim game mechanics around

PGR etc are too arcadey though, if your gonna play those you may as well play Daytona or Sega Rally etc. The newer arcadey racers like Sega Rally 2 are utter tripe, old school is still where its at there. MSR is good though for a a blast.

Colin McRae 1 on the Ps1 blew me away, fantastic game & was perfect back then as a semi-serious racer/rally game. The series went downhill drastically though.

Regards Gran Turismo, again the first one was a marvel, nothing like it was seen at the time & I remember it well. Never played or got into any of the sequels, they never felt quite right...hard to put a finger on it.

I have a copy of GT Concept, its still sealed from when I bought it. I suspect it aint worth opening :o

I liked the early Colin McRae games myself, thought PGR3 was fairly decent as an arcade racer too. GT peaked at GT3: A Spec imo, I thought the F1 cars in that were brilliant fun.

Retr0 at full pelt behind the wheel. :p

driving%252Bmiss%252Bdiasy.jpg

Someone with photoshop NEEDS to put Sera and Retro into that screen grab!

Someone with photoshop NEEDS to put Sera and Retro into that screen grab!

Yeah & make sure Retr0 is the one in the back seat. She is wearing a dress after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

When I heard about the respraying options in Forza it nearly made me buy an xBox 360. Not because I like racing games (I do, but I'm plain bad at 'em :o), but buying cars purely so I could turn 'em into a billboards to wind oh-so-serious driving fans up the wall.

219595.jpg
    That or painting a van/car with my best imitation of Koopa Troopa's sprite from SNES Mario Kart and hooking the mic up to a soundboard for a nonverbal response to any whiny mouth breathers - like the "got a coin" SFX. :cool:

Master of the Universe

Because i dont drive! its such a novelty pretending im like the rest of you :D

I have the excellent Race Pro for the 360.
    Well worth seeking out, it is Simbins only foray onto consoles, they make the most excellent race sims for the PC.
    It is a hard game, but a great sense of achievement is yours if you make first place!

Just finished Sine Mora... That was one ****ed up game.

• Advertisement

PGR etc are too arcadey though, if your gonna play those you may as well play Daytona or Sega Rally etc...

I like burnout 3-Takedown on the PS2 for some silly, crashy, arcade racing fun. I actually bought it on Xbox1 as well, just for the Xbox live crash mode. Very addictive and fun pick up and play game.

Advertisement