Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Arcade racers had a good run a while ago. Split / Second is an underrated gem (and an enduring multiplayer diversion with my friends) and NFS: Hot Pursuit gave that wretched franchise the shake-up it deserved. Looking forward to Criterion's new NFS later this year, which looks to take the best parts of Hot Pursuit and Burnout Paradise (which I initially didn't like, but ended up thinking it was pretty great) and combines them into a visceral whole. Here's hoping it lives up to its predecessors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Giving Black Tiger a go at the mo. Got PCB for 50 euro shipped yesterday.
    Sh1t I forgot what a cracker it is.

So many secrets and ways to play a level. The power up system is outstanding for its time.Another Capcom Classic and in My opinion way,way better than its successor..magic sword.
    My goal Is to 1cc it..feck real life ambitions:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

Learned something invaluable about MAME today.

A lot of games wont run in the latest version, but will play in older versions perfectly.

Chase H.Q for example. The newer version complains about rom files missing.

So newer isnt always best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

See, MAME's main aim isn't to play games - its to archive old arcade hardware.

Sometimes a new release will result in one game being fixed, but others are suddenly broken.

Best thing to do is find a version which has the most working games and stick with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

waveform wrote: »
    Learned something invaluable about MAME today.

A lot of games wont run in the latest version, but will play in older versions perfectly.

Chase H.Q for example. The newer version complains about rom files missing.

So newer isnt always best.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    See, MAME's main aim isn't to play games - its to archive old arcade hardware.

Sometimes a new release will result in one game being fixed, but others are suddenly broken.

Best thing to do is find a version which has the most working games and stick with it.

Yes, newer is definitely now always best with MAME.

But with each new version the romset can change so if its saying your missing rom files then your MAME version and ROMSET probably no longer match up.
    If you had MAME .146 and then download MAME .146u1 (just the emulator without updating or downloading the romset) then thats a different romset and some roms will have changed or been updated.
    Missing roms means somethings wrong, if the game loads but doesnt work or something looks weird that might just be the way it is for the moment.

Missing roms = something wrong
    Game not working = probably normal and best to stick to a working version and romset

• Advertisement

Playing a bit of Metal Slug 1 and 2 on the candy (as I normal spend most of my time on 3 so thought they deserved some time) while listening to some Powerglove with the volume pushed up to 11.
    I still think Metal Slug 3 is by far the best Metal Slug game there is, by a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Powerglove? as in this

Because if so everyone here needs to listen to them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not that big a fan of Metal Slug 3. I think 1, 2 and X are much purer experiences. They try to change the gameplay too much in Metal Slug 3 and it just dilutes the experience for me.

At the weekend myself and Sera finished Super Mario World in Co-op. Then we decided to play Donkey Kong Country in co-op. Sera told me to turn it off because she was bored.

Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    Playing a bit of Metal Slug 1 and 2 on the candy (as I normal spend most of my time on 3 so thought they deserved some time) while listening to some Powerglove with the volume pushed up to 11.
    I still think Metal Slug 3 is by far the best Metal Slug game there is, by a long way.

I've recently fallen in love with Metal Slug 3, however, I still don't think it's better than Metal Slug 1. (It is better than 2 and X though)

Metal Slug 1 keeps everything very tight. There's nothing bad about that game. Nothing. However I think Metal Slug 3 loses it a bit by putting in too many differing paths. As a result, the quality of some of them isn't the best.

It also has those god damn Zombie status effects. Similar to the mummy one in X, I think on purely aesthetics it looks great, but really ruins the levels :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm not that big a fan of Metal Slug 3. I think 1, 2 and X are much purer experiences. They try to change the gameplay too much in Metal Slug 3 and it just dilutes the experience for me.

At the weekend myself and Sera finished Super Mario World in Co-op. Then we decided to play Donkey Kong Country in co-op. Sera told me to turn it off because she was bored.

Was actually playing that myself over the last week or so, as it's one of the only 3 games not packed up for my forthcoming house move.
    The US snes was the last console in the door and I wanted to play it, so it got saved from the packing up spree.
    Only has 3 games sadly but 3 good ones - Mario Kart, Marioworld and Earthbound.

And by the way I suck at it, keep getting stuck on that secret bridge place and don't wanna go the other way as I hate underwater stages.
    I'm two lives away from game over screen!

• Advertisement

Powerglove? as in this

No, these guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Their rendition of the Power Rangers theme tune rocks too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So, what you listening to at the mo? Retro Edition

Does this count as retro?

http://youtu.be/pvR-VS2JtTc

Does this count as retro?

http://youtu.be/pvR-VS2JtTc

trilby.jpg

Burton has been known to flirt with hipsterism from time to time, but he usually redeems himself by doing something manly to a girl/s who 'admire' his retro collection

The only hat anywhere near that one that I own is a leather fedora. If I wear that and my string vest i don't think anyone could call my a hipster :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The only hat anywhere near that one that I own is a leather fedora. If I wear that and my string vest i don't think anyone could call my a hipster :D

No, they'd call you Pete Doherty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

Powerglove? as in this

Really liking that release, i wonder who's behind it...

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Power+Glove+%282%29

As far as I know whoever it is is from Melbourne, I have about 6 songs is all that i found around the place from them. Wish there was an album at least

You might like this aswell http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFjkmXO7aMw

Now I'm really going to start coming under fire about being a hipster. I can guarantee I'm not, I'm just fairly obsessed with the 80's style

• Advertisement

tumblr_m3oz2aDncU1qd6q3xo1_500.jpg

Master of the Universe

Argh, ever get really excited, thinking you're on that '1cc run' which you've aimed at for ages, only to have it dashed to pieces? :(

Up to stage 4 in Blazing Star - all my lives, nothing hit me yet.

'This is it! I can feel it!'

As soon as I think that to myself, I get hit - Still two lives left though.

Nope, both taken by the boss.

How the hell do people stay in 'the zone' and not get distracted by excitement?! Always gets me in the end.

A lot really can be said for credit feeding games to familiarize yourself with later levels. It's something I don't do - to my detriment when I finally get a good run!

The AI in Forza 4 is a cheating b@stard! Black flag city in real life

EnterNow wrote: »
    Forza 4 is a b@stard!
    Fix'd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Last night I played a few games on my CDI :eek:

I had a lovely game on Burn Cycle, tennis and little devils.....I then sat down and watched the end of Start trek VI.......:p

This was done to test the system out as it had issues reading disk but is now working fine.......
    Tonight I will be having a go on my Atari Lynx---

Ps I also played doom3 on the xbox and also played JETPAC....man I love that game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Jetpac is great alright, have it on XBLA must go back to it.

I was playing LA Noire, turns out I'd make a terrible detective, which is unfortunate as I'd also make a poor Space Marine, dodgy Italian Plumber and lets not even get into how lousy I do as a blue hyperfast Hedgehog...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Jetpac is great alright, have it on XBLA must go back to it.

I was playing LA Noire, turns out I'd make a terrible detective, which is unfortunate as I'd also make a poor Space Marine, dodgy Italian Plumber and lets not even get into how lousy I do as a blue hyperfast Hedgehog...

Was playing on the 360 as well.........Wish Rare would redo some more of their classic games.......

I then sat down and watched the end of Start trek VI.......:p

Brilliant film. Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmm, Shatner still can't act for toffee, they cut the theatrical release for no apparent reason.
    It was so much better than V I suppose we can forgive the nasty CGI weightless Klingon blood.
    The Bird of Prey was the best thing in it, although Plummer was fantastic it has to be said.
    Deforest Kelley had one of his best turns as McCoy as well.
    Iman was awful, terrible casting to impress some demographic we know nothing about.
    Her inclusion was painful and almost ruined the penal colony escape scene.

Sulu turning up in the Excelsior was pretty nice too.....

I take back my inital derisive comments, VI was a pretty good ST film, one of the best outside the II/III/IV trilogy anyhow.

Certainly the only one since to compare was First Contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Loved the 6th ST film

Of the series Enterprise should be brought back as it was the best by miles

*Not trolling honest*

Enterprises last season was amazing, some of the best trek in years, all the way up to the lousy inclusion of tubby Riker and Troi in an unnecessary ending, doing to usual fan appeasement of trying to tie everything together neatly.

But, they accomplished so much that year, the previous story in the Delphic expanse was good but dragged out too far and was too hard to drop in and out of, more like the grand arcs of DS9.

Had they performed the miracles of the last season a year earlier we probably would have had the 7 year cycle completed.

Of course, that may have had the knock on effect of bring more trek to the tv and the movie not being made... perhaps in a mirror universe, the one where all the men have goatees and the women dress like they fell out of a harem, this came to pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

In a mirror darkly

Best Trek episode ever

I liked the short arc of the genetically enhanced humans and how Klingons lost their ridges, also the Terra Prime stuff with Peter Weller was great too.
    Such a good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

'You cannot escape.'
    'You will be the one escaping.'

Capt. America and The Avengers, I actually kinda like it. Second stage is a side scrolling shoot em up as well but I do question how Hawkeye can fly the little cab, when the has to constantly use his bow and arrow.

I've just been playing Limbo and Sine Mora, both neglected by me in the last while.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Enterprises last season was amazing, some of the best trek in years, all the way up to the lousy inclusion of tubby Riker and Troi in an unnecessary ending, doing to usual fan appeasement of trying to tie everything together neatly.

But, they accomplished so much that year, the previous story in the Delphic expanse was good but dragged out too far and was too hard to drop in and out of, more like the grand arcs of DS9.

Had they performed the miracles of the last season a year earlier we probably would have had the 7 year cycle completed.

Of course, that may have had the knock on effect of bring more trek to the tv and the movie not being made... perhaps in a mirror universe, the one where all the men have goatees and the women dress like they fell out of a harem, this came to pass.
    Last 2 eason being decent was down to the fact that manny coto( who worked on DS9 I think) replaced rick berman/ bannon braga as the show runner, stopped trying to 'de-trek' it for the masses and did what the fans wanted. I still reckon its a better show than voyager.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Dr Bob wrote: »

Last 2 eason being decent was down to the fact that manny coto( who worked on DS9 I think) replaced rick berman/ bannon braga as the show runner, stopped trying to 'de-trek' it for the masses and did what the fans wanted. I still reckon its a better show than voyager.
    Last episode was **** though.

Dr Bob wrote: »
    I still reckon its a better show than voyager.

It is. Vastly superior.

Master of the Universe

I've never actually watched an episode of Enterprise. Can't make it through that damn opening song - always turn it off in a rage :mad:

I've never actually watched an episode of Enterprise. Can't make it through that damn opening song - always turn it off in a rage :mad:

After the first few eps, which are always shaky in a new series, it gets really good. There's some great arcs throughout its four seasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Enterprise was pretty good really, that hot vulcan in tight clothes sure didn't do it any harm either !!
    Not on patch on Firefly or Babylon 5 though.

Master of the Universe

Babylon 5 is another one I tried to watch, but just couldn't take it seriously because of this -

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpNwIFMppAU0SEDoMu_RYg3Mb-TdXw6g7X0kOotHixUiYOaVCjafyduPAI

Maybe I need to stop being so superficial when it comes to scifi :pac:

Started playing Crazy Taxi 3 and Max Payne there the other night after fixing a botched XMBC upgrade on my Xbox 1. Max Payne was such a good game, way ahead of it's time. Pity it never saw it's intended Dreamcast release.

I wonder if there's a beta of it floating around out there anywhere...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was never a fan of Max Payne. The dialogue was painful, it might have been taking off badly written visual novels but it didn't have to be badly written itself. It looked gorgeous though. My main bugbear with the entire series is that it's so samey. It took me weeks to beat the first two because I could only play them for a short while before getting chronically bored of them.

Better than some of Voyager maybe, I loved the Captain Proton eps, and I quite liked the year of hell episodes.
    The big let down in Voyager was always that...
    1- Janeway and Chakotay never got down.
    and
    b- Harry Kim hadn't the decency to die and stay died.

Better than some of Voyager maybe, I loved the Captain Proton eps, and I quite liked the year of hell episodes.
    The big let down in Voyager was always that...
    1- Janeway and Chakotay never got down.
    and
    b- Harry Kim hadn't the decency to die and stay died.

No... the biggest crime with Voyager was that Seven of Nine didn't stay naked long enough when Baby Q was prancing about on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Babylon 5 is another one I tried to watch, but just couldn't take it seriously because of this -

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpNwIFMppAU0SEDoMu_RYg3Mb-TdXw6g7X0kOotHixUiYOaVCjafyduPAI

Maybe I need to stop being so superficial when it comes to scifi :pac:

He's one of the best characters in the show. The relationship between him and G'Kar is what makes the whole series.

For the most part all the human characters are pretty dull.

Hmm, it was all a bit WTF at times, with refugees from other science fiction show turning up to do a bit here and there.
    Plus the real star was the Amiga doing the CGI!

Tons of unreliable science fiction on tv then, the 90's to early 00's, Earth: Final Conflict, great first season WTF for the rest, Earth 2, Andromeda, plenty of X-files clones.

The best, for my money, was Millennium, "Soylent Green is People" FTW!

Try out Space: Above & Beyond. Ran for one series & got cancelled, but I thought it evolved into a really really good show about a quarter way through the series right up to the end

Space Precinct for some serious 90's cheese & Red Dwarf-esque effects

• Advertisement
Advertisement