Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

EnterNow wrote: »
    Try out Space: Above & Beyond. Ran for one series & got cancelled, but I thought it evolved into a really really good show about a quarter way through the series right up to the end

More like Sh1te: Above & Beyond, never liked that one at all.

And how could we forget the not so great car crash that was Seaquest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    More like Sh1te: Above & Beyond, never liked that one at all.

And how could we forget the not so great car crash that was Seaquest?

It's one big arc though, did you watch it from start to finish? Honestly its really good {I think so anyway :D}

Seaquest? Yeah, never bothered with it at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Hmm, it was all a bit WTF at times, with refugees from other science fiction show turning up to do a bit here and there.
    Plus the real star was the Amiga doing the CGI!

Tons of unreliable science fiction on tv then, the 90's to early 00's, Earth: Final Conflict, great first season WTF for the rest, Earth 2, Andromeda, plenty of X-files clones.

The best, for my money, was Millennium, "Soylent Green is People" FTW!

We're on a bit of a Millennium marathon at the moment. Just starting season 2 tonight.
    Music is terrible in it and anyone of the family scenes are so full of cheese that it would give anyone enough cheese for ham sandwiches for the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    We're on a bit of a Millennium marathon at the moment. Just starting season 2 tonight.
    Music is terrible in it and anyone of the family scenes are so full of cheese that it would give anyone enough cheese for ham sandwiches for the month.

Aren't they supposed to be in the early stages of making a movie of Millennium?
    Not a cinema movie now, I thought there was some rumours of a TV movie a while back?

Steve SI wrote: »
    Aren't they supposed to be in the early stages of making a movie of Millennium?
    Not a cinema movie now, I thought there was some rumours of a TV movie a while back?

If its anything like the last X-Files movie, I'm staying the hell away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The show was fine as it was, after season 1 and the "serial killer of the week" formula was jettisoned it got much better and spookier.
    The scientology or rather Selfosophy episode, Jose Chungs Doomsday Defence was incredible and brilliant.
    Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me is another fantastic episode,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Enjoy New Super Mario Bros 2 a little bit more now - apart from one bloody annoying thing which is driving me mad.

THE STUPID A CAPELLA MUSIC!

It was 'fun' in the first one. Oh listen, it sounds like a voice singing the music. How 'cute'.

Now it makes me want to rip off my ears. Totally ruins the game. I've resorted to playing it with no sound.

The show was fine as it was, after season 1 and the "serial killer of the week" formula was jettisoned it got much better and spookier.
    The scientology or rather Selfosophy episode, Jose Chungs Doomsday Defence was incredible and brilliant.
    Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me is another fantastic episode,

Yeah, I've read that it picks up for season 2. There over reaching arc didn't really develop until the last few episodes of season one and then it felt rushed.
    The ending of S1, would of been some cliffhanger at the time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Played a little bit of that Resonance adventure game some folks here mentioned. Pretty good actually. Would be perfect to play on a tablet.

• Advertisement

My son has taken to playing Portal 2 and reading The Colour Of Magic... I am so proud!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

OK here's something you won't hear everyday. I've been playing the GAA PS2 games for an article I promised HG101... about 9 months ago. The first game is truly a disgrace of epic proportions. However a bit of playing around with the second game and you know it's actually rather playable and a massive improvement on the original. The commentary is laughable, the steps rule is stupid since the players take 10 steps before being penalised and there's some silly bugs like not being able to be promoted in some competitions but it's not a bad game at all. It also makes a much better multiplayer game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    OK here's something you won't hear everyday. I've been playing the GAA PS2 games for an article I promised HG101... about 9 months ago. The first game is truly a disgrace of epic proportions. However a bit of playing around with the second game and you know it's actually rather playable and a massive improvement on the original. The commentary is laughable, the steps rule is stupid since the players take 10 steps before being penalised and there's some silly bugs like not being able to be promoted in some competitions but it's not a bad game at all. It also makes a much better multiplayer game.

Not surprising at all given some of the scutter you describe as being good...the Zelda C-i game spring to mind :p Compared to them, the PS2 GAA games are world class :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well it's not amazing but it's a massive improvement over the original. The fact that it's playable is an acomplishment but it's far from the absolute turd that the original is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

Well it's not amazing but it's a massive improvement over the original. The fact that it's playable is an accomplishment but it's far from the absolute turd that the original is.

I've always been curious about the GAA games.

While I never heard anything that could be mistaken for praise about them (before Retr0 had to be all contrary to prevailing opinions...) I just loved that some company had the balls to try and make them for a console.

To me it seemed like someone suggested trying to make Pong, only no one on the team had ever played or heard of tennis, and they know for fact the market is tiny and full of people with unrealistic expectations as to how good it should be.

And they said: "Sure, OK!"

Gods' own prototypes.

Beat Dragon Quest IX tonight, ending was really sweet but over all it was a bit disappointing compared to other Dragon Quest games. The town stories were decent but not up to the usual DQ standard although I did like the final story and how it came together. Still a superb game. However now that I've beaten the main story I'm going to keep playing. The main story might be a little disappointing by DQ standards but the post game stuff is addictive as hell, it's superb! Hoping to play this co-op with Sera as well soon which is another great thing about the game, if you have some one else that wants to play it you can play the entire game co-op.

Anyway in the mean time I'm going to right a grievous wrong. I only ever finished Chrono Trigger on the PS1 (shudder, disgusting port!). This left a sour taste in my mouth because not only did the load times kill the game for me but the game also killed my first PS2's laser. I'm going to play it on the DS now and love it like it should be loved!

• Advertisement

Didn't I lend you those, some 9 months ago???

They were made by an Australian dev team, who had met with much success down under with their Aussie Rules football game for the PS2.
    You'd imagine the switch to the GAA would have yielded better results.

Still, this gen never got it's equivalent, good thing or bad thing?

Yeah I know, I might be finished with them by the boards beers though :)

IR Guru's went bust which might have been something to do with it. The second game definitely had potential though to be a good game. It's still kind of shoddy with lots carried over from the Aussie Rules games that don't make sense in a GAA game.

The commentary is woeful as well. 'Both teams will enjoy their cup of tea and banana at half-time'. Then there's the 'first goal of the game' when you have scored a point. Both of those commentary mishaps made it into the sequel.

Master of the Universe

Is it wrong to really enjoy playing Pepsiman?

o1s1n wrote: »

Nope, it's a great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I cannot believe I do not own this game......

Mind, if he took a left and popped into one of those 2euro shops, I imagine this'd be a lot shorter game.

• Advertisement

Beat Dragon Quest IX tonight, ending was really sweet but over all it was a bit disappointing compared to other Dragon Quest games. The town stories were decent but not up to the usual DQ standard although I did like the final story and how it came together. Still a superb game. However now that I've beaten the main story I'm going to keep playing. The main story might be a little disappointing by DQ standards but the post game stuff is addictive as hell, it's superb! Hoping to play this co-op with Sera as well soon which is another great thing about the game, if you have some one else that wants to play it you can play the entire game co-op.

If memory serves, I've read complaints on this: while you can play the entire game in co-op, storyline progress is only made by the primary player - even if additional players get to areas they've never been to before, they can't continue on their from their on their own, and need to pick up their own storyline from where they themselves have left it.

Retr0, what level dungeon maps have you for DQ9? I'd no idea you hadn't finished as far as the credits (I know "exactly" where the game/main storyline ends is kind of an open question); I was under the impression you'd have put in a bunch more hours than I had and would have no interest in maps I'd have.

I know I have maps for one dungeon with metal slimes in it and another with metal slime stacks (can't remember their proper name), if you're interested in trading some time in Dublin city.

Well I've only started on the post game stuff. My highest level Dungeon is 21 and I've not yet done any revocations so enemies in them haven't been the best. I'm going to hunt down the metal slime dungeon I've heard about in the main game and work my way up to legacy boss maps. I wouldn't mind trading makes some time when I get a few better ones to trade. It's a pity that they leave the stuff that lets you level up easier until the post game but at least it's there.

Started playing a bit of Armed Police Batrider on MAME last night in preparation for the real thing when it arrives next week (I hope).
    So far its a damn decent shmup and I can see why a certain former A&R member liked it so much.

Master of the Universe

It's a really fantastic game. Early congrats on the arriving purchase :)

It's a really fantastic game. Early congrats on the arriving purchase :)

Cheers, I got it for a really nice price in the end so I'm happy about that.

So far its a damn decent shmup and I can see why a certain former A&R member liked it so much.

Don't say that!!
    He's just.... taking a little break is all.
    He'll be back.. please come back!

Don't say that!!
    He's just.... taking a little break is all.
    He'll be back.. please come back!

I'm sure he will, one day.
    But I'm on Jamma+ every day and he seems to be settling in there. As I said before, same Pyongy posts, different forum.

Just grabbed Jet Set Radio off Steam.
    Playing with the X360 pad and so far it plays pretty well.

I'm hoping for a xbla hd edition sometime soon. That said I already have the two titles for the DC and Xbox, I may have the GBA cart somewhere.

• Advertisement

I'm hoping for a xbla hd edition sometime soon. That said I already have the two titles for the DC and Xbox, I may have the GBA cart somewhere.

Is it not on XBLA? I thought it was released on them all today. Edit: Yep, 800 ms points for it on XBLA

Anyway, one last game for tonight. I found my old Colin McRae 2.0 Cd from years ago and decided to give it a go on a modern pc. Runs perfectly on Win 7 64bit without any patches or hacking around.
    I loved this game when it came out on PC (not the crappy PS version).

Just grabbed Jet Set Radio off Steam.
    Playing with the X360 pad and so far it plays pretty well.

Any options to load in your own images to use as in graffiti files? I'll be gutted if Sega were so clueless as to overlook this.

If you do have the cart, let us know what you think of it. I've heard so many mixed things I've begun to thinkings its a case of fair-but-cutting-critics versus fanboys who really want a fourth-Jet-Set-Radio-game-so will-defend-the-existing-three-to-the-death.

Considering how much use of JSR/JSRF's aesthetics and music added to the game I don't dare raise my expectations. :(

a5y wrote: »
    Any options to load in your own images to use as in graffiti files? I'll be gutted if Sega were so clueless as to overlook this.

If you do have the cart, let us know what you think of it. I've heard so many mixed things I've begun to thinkings its a case of fair-but-cutting-critics versus fanboys who really want a fourth-Jet-Set-Radio-game-so will-defend-the-existing-three-to-the-death.

Considering how much use of JSR/JSRF's aesthetics and music added to the game I don't dare raise my expectations. :(

I didn't see any option for that no.
    Here's a quick vid I made of the very start. It seems to be more or less a direct re-release of the old DC game, just in HD.

a5y wrote: »
    I didn't see any option for that no.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

God damn it Sega...

Master of the Universe

so finally after about two weeks waiting, i have a PCE controller. my ****ing god is the D pad nice!!! one of the best ever! its like if you take the nes D pad but allow more of the circular give and motion that the megadrive 2 'dome' D pads have. its a thing of beauty.

I love this console. just annoyed i didnt buy one years ago.

Did you get the Turbo Everdrive?
    It's pretty neat!

Master of the Universe

Not yet no, still debating that one :)

I've really fallen in love with Hucards - both the cards themselves and the cd like jewel case they come in. They're really lovely things.

Would like to build up a collection, but then I'd like to be able to play some of the more expensive ones with the Turbo Everdrive.

How's it holding up with yourself anyway? Working perfectly yeah?

Not yet no, still debating that one :)

I've really fallen in love with Hucards - both the cards themselves and the cd like jewel case they come in. They're really lovely things.

Would like to build up a collection, but then I'd like to be able to play some of the more expensive ones with the Turbo Everdrive.

How's it holding up with yourself anyway? Working perfectly yeah?

It's a superb piece of kit, I don't know what it is but the presence of a sd card slot... just does things.....

It's a superb piece of kit, I don't know what it is but the presence of a sd card slot... just does things.....

Makes you sell off your collection then regret it?

• Advertisement

Nope, not the PC Engine collection, it was small, with a few key titles I'll grant you, Splatterhouse, Alien Crush and Vigilante, but, as an American machine, it was always going to be the Japs poor relation when it came to software choice.
    And, if I wanted to play japanese content on my TG-16 I would have to sell a kidney (not my kidney, just someones kidney) to afford it, those region convertors cost a fortune.
    Much cheaper was just to buy a Turbo Everdrive.
    At least the entire Hu-Card library is now at my fingertips.

Master of the Universe

Well, I thought New Super Mario Bros 2 couldn't let me down any more - boy was I wrong.

First, I accidentally discovered the route to one of the secret worlds. Okay, fair enough..I got lucky, but I kind of wanted to work for it.

The stage itself was boring and bland.

Finished it anyway and thought I'd focus on finishing World 6.

Got up to the big castle at the end. Everything was a piece of cake up to that point, including the castle itself and Bowser.

Finished that part, expecting at World stage 6 to be extended with a few more levels and the real end.

Nope. That was it. :mad::mad::mad:

I've still a good few more star coins to get, so that should keep me busy for another little while. But after playing the greatness that was Super Mario Land 3DS and just how big that was, I cant help but feel cheated :(

Yeah, this is one of the first Mario platformers that I just can't be bothered picking up new.
    Worse than that, the thieving gits in the shops will knock off a generous €5 when it's preowned.
    The only other one I was a bit "M'eh" over was NSMB Wii.

I look to see what the WiiU has in store.... more NSMB... frak that!
    Where's a new SMB title Ninty?
    Even Super Mario Galaxy 3 would have been cool.

Roll on Luigis Mansion 2 on my 3DS, and the sticker themed Paper Mario as well.

Some innovation please Ninty!

Yeah, this is one of the first Mario platformers that I just can't be bothered picking up new.
    Worse than that, the thieving gits in the shops will knock off a generous €5 when it's preowned.
    The only other one I was a bit "M'eh" over was NSMB Wii.

I look to see what the WiiU has in store.... more NSMB... frak that!
    Where's a new SMB title Ninty?
    Even Super Mario Galaxy 3 would have been cool.

Roll on Luigis Mansion 2 on my 3DS, and the sticker themed Paper Mario as well.

Some innovation please Ninty!

Hopefully the game is a bit longer than the first one on the Gamecube.

Master of the Universe

What's really annoying me about this game is it could have been great. It just feels totally incomplete. Like they reached the fake type early ending Mario games can have and decided to make it the real ending :(

Oh, I don't really mind, that game was an exquisite set of dioramas, the 3DS is the perfect place for it, the solidity of the visual elements, not to mention the fact that Nintendo originally intended to use a 3D device with the game.
    The length, well, I drop in and out of most of my 3DS collection, so I'll be happy however long it is.

• Advertisement

Hopefully the game is a bit longer than the first one on the Gamecube.

You know what. With the amount of games I have and the majority of them being 40-100 hour RPGs the Gamecube game is the perfect length. As long as its enjoyable I'm perfectly fine by that. Best game this year has been Journey, a game I played in one 2-3 hour sitting and it cost more than most other downloadable games but the short length actually helped it. Wonderful stuff.

Giving Sonic Generations a blast atm.
    What a pity they couldn't resist temptation.
    Why do they have to justify the DC games and the following 13 years of awful Sonic games in 3D when they could have just given us a couple of hours of classic Sonic action, with a hint of 2.5D gameplay, if they must.
    But no, more running into the screen, running into things you can't know are there until you run into them :(

And my 360 isn't logging into XBLA due to a local network problem so my 800 MS points are going unspent!

Fez?
    JSR:HD (although I already have JSR and JSRF)

what should I be spending the points on??

Master of the Universe

Booted up X Men clone wars for the Megadrive. It started as Psylocke - I've never played as her before.

After about half a second, after seeing her moves, she instantly seemed familiar.

'Wait a minute..this character is Chakan! WTF?!'

Then I picked up some health and I am convinced it's the same sound effect as one used in Chakan. Same goes for Psylockes sound effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

And my 360 isn't logging into XBLA due to a local network problem so my 800 MS points are going unspent!

Fez?
    JSR:HD (although I already have JSR and JSRF)

what should I be spending the points on??

Guardian Heroes

Master of the Universe

Unless you can skip all the text in that version I'd pass! Drove me mental on the Saturn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement