Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

you can't 100% skip the text, just goes at about 10x speed, so you're not literally sitting there waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Gunstar Heroes,any of the Metal Slugs on XBLA,VF5,Rez HD,Space Invaders Invinity, Wonderboy compilation,Street of rage compilation or if you don't have them yet..Shadow complex, Trials Evolution and Super Meatboy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Gunstar Heroes,any of the Metal Slugs on XBLA,VF5,Rez HD,Space Invaders Invinity, Wonderboy compilation,Street of rage compilation or if you don't have them yet..Shadow complex, Trials Evolution and Super Meatboy.

I love Super Meatboy and cant wait to see it on iOS. I actually have it on my Hyperspin setup on the candy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Super Meatboy on iOS?! There are some games touchscreens just aren't suitable for! The pixel perfect platforming is tough enough with a 360 pad...

Super Meatboy on iOS?! There are some games touchscreens just aren't suitable for! The pixel perfect platforming is tough enough with a 360 pad...

Yeah, but their changing the gameplay completely so I want to see what they come up with as they've said they hate the way platformers are controlled on most iOS games.
    You should try playing it with real arcade controls, it's quite fun on the candy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Got Fez.... looks great, I uncomfortable buying it 'coz the dev is a dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Steve SI wrote: »
    Yeah, but their changing the gameplay completely so I want to see what they come up with as they've said they hate the way platformers are controlled on most iOS games.
    You should try playing it with real arcade controls, it's quite fun on the candy.
    Yeah I play It on XBLA on my cab as well,Good craic
    It's like a version of Trials..bit with meat.
    BTW if IOS ever has a good conversion of a game,playable in swipey sh1tey touchscreen mode, I will tip my hat to the developer and then shove it up my A$$ before eating it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Got Fez.... looks great, I uncomfortable buying it 'coz the dev is a dick.

Well I got over that. He is a complete and utter muppet of the highest order.

I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't buy the game when I bought all the Dragon Quest games. The composer of the Dragon Quest games is one of those japanese crazies that denies there were any japanese concentration camps during world war 2 and all the atrocities carried out by the japanese military on POW and the natives of the pacific islands they occupied. He went so far as to put an advert in the LA Times stating that these atrocities were made up. I think that's far worse than anything Phil Fish is capable of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Chrono Trigger - I may be at it some time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well I got over that. He is a complete and utter muppet of the highest order.

I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't buy the game when I bought all the Dragon Quest games. The composer of the Dragon Quest games is one of those japanese crazies that denies there were any japanese concentration camps during world war 2 and all the atrocities carried out by the japanese military on POW and the natives of the pacific islands they occupied. He went so far as to put an advert in the LA Times stating that these atrocities were made up. I think that's far worse than anything Phil Fish is capable of.

Wow.

So, was I particularly oblivious to an open secret or is it something almost no one who plays JRPGs talks about?

(There needs to be a list)

Edit:

Currently playing:
    • Vagrant Story - my combo timing is awful; loading up a halfway through the story save when I've not played VS makes for frustration
    • Minecraft+Technic+Permadeath - I started on an island full of polar bears and not a single blasted rubber tree (ouch). Channel Tunnel at 80% completion. If the next island has no rubber trees it becomes a nuclear test site.
    • Terraria - No tutorial mixed with odd WASD keyboard & mouse controls. Shelved, but I'll come back to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

a5y wrote: »
    Wow.

So, was I particularly oblivious to an open secret or is it something almost no one who plays JRPGs talks about?

Only found out recently. Also it was the Washington Post, not the LA Times:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24627#.UGF5_FFCBbw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Yeah I play It on XBLA on my cab as well,Good craic
    It's like a version of Trials..bit with meat.
    BTW if IOS ever has a good conversion of a game,playable in swipey sh1tey touchscreen mode, I will tip my hat to the developer and then shove it up my A$$ before eating it.

The Cave shmup conversions and Infinity Gene. Bon appetit :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Impressed by the iOS controls for Super Hexagon too, but then all you can do is move left or right!

Fiendishly addicting game. Managed to get past level one. Now just the five harder ones :/

Just downloaded it and gave it a go there. Very good stuff! Terry Cavanagh is no one-trick-pony anyway. Lasted 36 seconds and it said I was at level 4. Is that right?

Edit: aha, just went to stage select and saw the levels. Guess I'm not a gaming god then

Yeah each of the six levels has five or six sections - you complete each one at the 60 second mark. It is engrossing, but also breaks your heart every thirty seconds or so :(

ghostchant wrote: »
    Terry Cavanagh is no one-trick-pony anyway.

He's made some wonderful short flash based games, you sgould check out oiche mhaith.

Yeah I'd heard about that, this is only the second one of his I've actually played. Never on a computer except when working, is it likely to see a release on anything else?

Got a nice little shmup compilation disc (well, .cdi file really) on the Dreamcast. So playing the 3 games that came on it, "Under Defeat", "Triggerheart Exelica" and a weird little Cel shaded shmup call "Radirgy".
    Radirgy isnt my cup of tea but Under Defeat is of course excellent and "Triggerheart Exelica" is pretty decent as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Radirgy is at least colourful, wait til you play Karous, monochrome shooter, not everyones cup of tea either, but it is readily available on the Wii.

Smyths have Blastworks for the Wii for 99c, which is nice, it includes ABAgames collection of titles as unlockables as well, which is the real draw there.

• Advertisement

I always found trigger heart and especially Radirgy very mediocre bullet hell games.

Starting my October of horror games. Started with Forbidden Siren 2. I liked the first game but it had so many problems. This one seems to fix them all and I'm really enjoying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Starting my October of horror games. Started with Forbidden Siren 2. I liked the first game but it had so many problems. This one seems to fix them all and I'm really enjoying it.

Jeez that time again, seems like not long ago you done the last horra-thon

We're having a horror beers in Dino's later in the month, perhaps??

Big Buck Hunter in Dr. Quirkey's. Excellent. Easy enough table but it's still nice to be playing a real, un-emulated silver ball for a change.

By the way, it makes me sad to remember what quirkeys was like in the early to mid nineties compared to how it is now. A handful of badly maintained cabs and a couple of pinball games squashed into the back corner behind rows and rows of gambling machines with unhappy looking people on them. One woman shovelling money in to a machine while her kid in a buggy is asleep beside her.

Shame, I remember when Quirkey's was amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

We're having a horror beers in Dino's later in the month, perhaps??

It would only be fair to make the experience even more horific, especially for Retrogamer!

PAL Consoles, RF or Composite video output only, 16:9 aspect ratio! :D

Feck it, go even further, Emulators only!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Can someone please tell me some good 360 games to play?

I was all excited hooking the console up to the projector, played some huge GTA IV - was great. Got boring quickly though.

Then some Mushihimesama Futari and Child of Eden (which were mind blowing)

Then looked through the rest of my 360 collection and was very underwhelmed by it all. Only about 30 or so games, but really didn't want to play any of them.

Last good games I remember playing were Dark Souls, Deadly Premonition and Red Dead Redemption.

El Shaddai is one I've been meaning to pick up. Bit stumped after that though.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me some good 360 games to play?

I was all excited hooking the console up to the projector, played some huge GTA IV - was great. Got boring quickly though.

Then some Mushihimesama Futari and Child of Eden (which were mind blowing)

Then looked through the rest of my 360 collection and was very underwhelmed by it all. Only about 30 or so games, but really didn't want to play any of them.

Last good games I remember playing were Dark Souls, Deadly Premonition and Red Dead Redemption.

El Shaddai is one I've been meaning to pick up. Bit stumped after that though.

Death Smiles
    Child Of Eden {that'd be amazing on a projector I'd say}
    Forza 4 {driving fans only}

& there's tons of XBLA stuff that'd look great projected

Akai Katana is coming to xbla, Goldeneye Reloaded is decent and cheap.
    Earth Defence Force 2017 is cool.
    Racing games are getting a bit stale, nothing would make me invest in Forza 4, more track racing, boring boring.
    Rather play Split Second, Blur and PGR4.

Master of the Universe

Death Smiles - Have it already, not too big of a fan, there's something about it which doesn't sit right
    Child Of Eden - already tried that out last night. Was amazing alright :) I cant wait to get sound hooked up properly, it'll be worth having for that alone.
    Forza 4 - Not too pushed on sim racing games. Maybe something more arcady if you know what I mean? (which isn't a Burnout game)
    & there's tons of XBLA stuff that'd look great projected - Me has no XBLA!
    Akai Katana is coming to xbla - Been meaning to pick that one up alright
    Goldeneye Reloaded is decent and cheap - not my cuppa really
    Earth Defence Force 2017 - this is one I havent played, will check it out

I don't know if I'm just being a pain in the arse or if this generally is just utterly uninspiring??? :confused::confused:

It's been a while since I've gotten really involved with a game like Dark Souls. Everything I play these days is pick up and play. Maybe I need to get a scaler and hook up some scart stuff. Been meaning to finish Xenoblade Chronicles.

El Shaddai is a gorgeous game hiding a pretty naff one. your enjoyment will depend on how much you like the visuals.

Earth Defence Force is the cheapest tackiest game ever hiding something awesome. I much prefer the PS2 game but the 360 is still great.

If you want something a bit unique and strange then try out Nier. I absolutely loved it. It's got an excellent story and it switches genres like crazy. The only thing holding it back is that it looks a bit cheap but at least it looks a lot better than Deadly Premonition. Also if you beat it make sure you play the New Game + since it's kind of genius how it uses it to completely change your view of the story.

Also I hope you've played Bayonetta?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Thanks man, I'll give Nier a blast. Seems cheap enough too :)

Still haven't played Bayonetta. I am thinking a gratuitous 6 foot ass shot on the wall might not go down too well.

Thanks man, I'll give Nier a blast. Seems cheap enough too :)

Hope you like it. It seemed to get average reviews yet everyone that has played it loves it.

I saw Bayonetta today in HMV for about a fiver!

Me has no XBLA!

You don't need a Gold account though just to purchase from XBLA...or do you?? I created a free Silver account there recently to get stuff off the Indie Market & I could browse & buy things just fine :)

Connect your 360 up to to the net, browse the marketplace & get demos to try stuff out - if you like, buy :)

Definitely get on XBLA, you can buy stuff with a silver account. Many of the 360s most interesting games are on there.

For full retail, Castlevania Lords of Shadow may be a God of War clone but looks and plays surprisingly well. Surprisingly challenging on higher difficulties too. If you're looking for a big, pretty 3D brawler for your new projector you could do much worse. Of course, you could also do better with Bayonetta, which is pretty much mandatory, concerns about giant asses or not :pac: Vanquish too, if you haven't played it. You'll probably get each of them for a fiver or tenner.

Mirror's Edge is a flawed gem, and would benefit immensely from a good A/V setup.

NFS: Hot Pursuit and Split / Second are two great arcade racers. Intense, loud and terrific fun, especially in their respective multiplayers (although NFS has no split screen :().

TBH, looking at my list of games most of the ones I'd recommend without hesitation are on XBLA. Limbo, Braid, Shadow Complex, Sine Mora, Trine 2 (which I'm only so-so about gameplay wise but is an absolute treat for the eyes), Pac Man Championship Edition, the trio of Treasure titles...

Put Shadow Complex down on the bottom of that list. It's Super Metroid with no soul. Fun but bland.

Also get Braid before Limbo. Limbo is basically just trying to be as clever as Braid and fails. Still worth a play through. It's just no Braid.

Well decided to cheat with Dragon Quest IX's end game. The problem with the end game is that it relies on the tag mode. In Japan the place is rife with people sharing maps with one another and eventually maps were found that made leveling up easy. It's not so popular in Ireland. So I copied a save file I found on the interwebs to an R4 card, used a spare DS and transferred the two most famous japanese maps to my own game and it's making the experience a whole lot easier. The Kawasaki Locker and Masayuki map are now mine!

Tried the demo of the PSN title Dyad, and quite mental it is too.
    Expensive though, $14.99 from the US PSN store.
    Thinking about buying it though, but fear it'll languish in the same dungeon as Space Giraffe, looks amazing, sounds amazing, never played again after the first week!

Well decided to cheat with Dragon Quest IX's end game. The problem with the end game is that it relies on the tag mode. In Japan the place is rife with people sharing maps with one another and eventually maps were found that made leveling up easy. It's not so popular in Ireland. So I copied a save file I found on the interwebs to an R4 card, used a spare DS and transferred the two most famous japanese maps to my own game and it's making the experience a whole lot easier. The Kawasaki Locker and Masayuki map are now mine!

Seems long winded. Just buy a potion from Gandalf the Master Wizard...thats what I always do

Finally started Rayman Origins, which - and I'm not exaggerating here - may have the best graphics and art design of any game I've ever played in my two decades of gaming. Every single frame looks stunning. Helps that the game is terrific fun too.

Also, suitably engrossed in Tokyo Jungle. Was five years off a century in survival mode yesterday, until my gazelle got killed by a dinosaur.

• Advertisement

Think I'm done with Dragon Quest IX. Got an achievement for playing the game for 100 hours. Time to move on to something else I think!

Horrorthon not going so well. I think I choose a bad game for it. Not that Siren 2 is a bad game, far from it. It's just really long, I doubt I'll get much other games played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sonic Wings Special has been getting has gradually been getting more prolonged periods of play in the last week.
    I dunno what it is about it but I like it. Immensely dislike the old chap with the cat on his shoulder though, bloody useless.
    Levels, well the first 5 or 6, seem very short though and some of the bosses are a cinch to defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Manic Miner on GBA emulator, forgotten how much of a pixel perfect #@!$ it is..

Master of the Universe

Am I a simpleton or is does the Dungeons and Dragons game on the Megadrive have the oddest isometric view of any game?

I really couldn't play it. Kept wanting to turn my head sideways. Drove me mad so had to turn it off.

1-wotes007-127.png

warriors_of_the_eternal_sun_2.jpg

16528-DungeonsDragonsWarriorsoftheEternalSun.jpg

Feasting on both Tomba! and Nights Into Dreams at the moment. Both wonderful, imaginative games. Tomba! I had rented and loved when I was a kid, and it's nice to finally sit back and play through at its own pace. Wholly satisfying mix of RPG questing and platforming gameplay.

Nights Into Dreams is the game that was always being advertised in old Sonic comics, but alas I did not live in a Saturn household. Finally getting to play it and it does not disappoint. Perhaps the strangest racing game ever, and there's nothing quite like it. Still plays smoothly and hypnotically. Kinda tempted to pick up the sequel despite the generally ambivalent reception it was greeted with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

@ O1s1n, that view is woeful, my eyes are gone all googlie after looking at that.
    Imagine trying to sit through a session of that game, you'd have motion sickness within minutes.

I've been looking at picking up Nights but I already have it for the Saturn , controller too, so is the HD enough to warrant buying it?
    How do the kids control in the game, I never liked that in the original.
    I have Burning Rangers, now that I'd love to see updated.

How do the kids control in the game, I never liked that in the original.
    I have Burning Rangers, now that I'd love to see updated.

Sure who cares, you don't spend more than two seconds as the kids in each level.

Finished Sonic CD today, XBLA version. It's a superb conversion but it hasn't changed my mind on the game. I still think it's the worst of the 16-bit Sonic games. The level design is really dull and uninspiring and the different zones are kind of boring with little to differentiate them.

Even more depressing is that I finished the game without all the chaos emeralds or destroying the badnik generators. I looked online to see what I missed and all you get is new animated ending (which is a bit crap). Not even a new boss or anything.

I'm putting this one in Flava Flav's 'don't believe the hype' pile along with Donkey Kong Country and Banjo Kazooie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Is it the same as the Mega-CD ending? If so, it's just the same cutscene, save for the last two seconds, no?

I'd actually agree, I find it playable, but it's got this clunkiness to it, especially with the busy stage-design. It sometimes feels, dare I say it, like a fan-hack.

Advertisement