Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Is it the same as the Mega-CD ending? If so, it's just the same cutscene, save for the last two seconds, no?

Yep.
    Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    It sometimes feels, dare I say it, like a fan-hack.

Pretty much sums it up for me. I really appreciate what the guy that converted it did and it's one of the best retro conversions I've seen outside of the stuff M2 did but it's just not that great a game. I really don't understand how most sonic fans regard it as the best in the series.

Saying that, I don't understand most Sonic fans at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ninja Edited

I assume your generally talking about post-Knuckles there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oops I meant fans, ninja edit!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Had a blast yesterday evening playing Sound Shapes on the PS3, Becks album is very cool, I need a complete soundtrack to the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

In spite to my usual 'don't replay' rule, I've been burning through SMA2: Super Mario World (GBA), picked up for cheap and wanted something to stop-gap my Sonic and Mother marathons. This one seems a lot easier than the original, and not just due to the extra hit. I was surprised at how quickly I got through it too, finishing it up in a 3 hours, with no shortcuts, and onto the Special World 40 minutes later.

Playing Mother again too (GBA), obviously. Famously unforgiving difficulty, so I think I'll use Mato's patch again. I dig it and love it as much as ever, otherwise. I suppose it's an achievement in itself, making an 8-bit RPG that manages to people go 'wow! this's hard'.

Itoi rips the mick about how little consideration he gave toward the game's difficulty (7mins 47secs onwards):

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Had a blast yesterday evening playing Sound Shapes on the PS3, Becks album is very cool, I need a complete soundtrack to the game!

Yeah the Beck sections are brilliant, with the unfortunate side effect that it makes all the other albums (including the usually great Jim Guthrie) and levels seem a lot less interesting. Must check out more of the user created stuff, some of it was good fun.

The 'death mode' is infuriating but finally got there and earned my meaningless platinum trophy!

This week i have been mostly playing Timeshock pinball. I just can't put it down. It's brilliant, maybe the best pinball sim ever made, and it's so handy to have a go on if you've just got 15 minutes to spare.

Next up is either a super mario world or super mario brothers 3 full playthrough. Am gonna get all the levels without using any sneaky warp zones or anything like that. Since playing mario 3 on 60 hertz hardware over at Cathaldublin's place over the weekend I've got the bug for some mario related platformery.

Also (and i know i'm risking getting booted off the forum for this, but) super metroid just didn't grab me last week. I got bored after about 20 minutes and watched an episode of the wire instead. What's wrong? Am i not giving it a chance, is it a slow burner, or is it just not everybody's cuppa tea? I was expecting it to be full on awesome from the word go, and it wasn't.

Do i need awesome lessons...??...:(

You only gave it 20 minutes? That's your problem right there. The game builds atmosphere. Did you even pick up the first upgrade at all?

You need to give it way more time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You only gave it 20 minutes? That's your problem right there. The game builds atmosphere. Did you even pick up the first upgrade at all?

You need to give it way more time.

Couldn't agree more, that game is breathtaking, great bosses using every trick the Snes had, music, a sense of the the franchise history, the weapons are iconic at this stage.
    By the end you would wish it wasn't ending at all, that there was another few hours of adventuring to be had.
    I guess that's what Metroid Fusion and the magnificent Metroid Prime are for.

Can you imagine the Prime trilogy redone, again, on the Wii U? With the map on the lower screen, also acting as the environmental scanner. Perhaps washing away memories of Other M for good!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Unlocked Christmas NiGHTs last night, and I have to be honest: think it's probably the best designed level in the whole game! Wonderful opportunities for chaining, all to an elevator musicy reinterpretation of Jingle Bells. I'm going to resist playing it again until Christmas Rockin' Eve.

• Advertisement

I heard they cut out all the advent calendar gifts though, is it true?

Couldn't agree more, that game is breathtaking...

Yeah, i had a feeling that's what was going on alright. I got the morphing ball thing, and got off the exploding space station thing, and i think i lost interest a bit after that. I did have a feeling that it was probably a slow starter, but i hadn't got the time to wait to find out, and i didn't see enough up to that point to make me come back to it.

OK then, i will put it in the pile labelled" epics which demand a proper amount of time dedicated to them", and wait till i've got a day off or something and have a proper run at it. I just dont' get enough time at the moment to play games for more than an hour at once. Having a boss, a wife, and young baby and keeping everything running is just eating up every spare minute of the day.

Cough cough...i have a feeling a sikkie might be happening some time soon...

I heard they cut out all the advent calendar gifts though, is it true?

I don't know, never played the original version. I'll complete it with the other character later and see what is unlocked.

In the original there as an advent calendar you could unlock stuff like art and the biggie, you could play as sonic. Also depending on the day of the year you would get extra bonuses and the visuals would change like on christmas day, new years, april fools (you could play as Raela or whatever) and new years 2000. Anyway it's just a rumour I heard, might still be there but I played Xmas Nights on the run up to Xmas last year and it was great fun for getting in the spirit and unlocking the advent calendar.

There is a menu option I have yet to unlock under Christmas NiGHTs, so something might be in there. I shall report back, but since it's a port of the PS2 version, I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't there.

Now, there's an interesting question.

To those who are playing Nights HD...

Won't it be best played on the 360 via XBLA, given the controller there has far more in common with the Nights controller than the nasty PS Dualshock 3?

Also, I feel rather unclean.
    I caught myself having fun, playing Gran Turismo 5..... I'm still allowed come in here, aren't I????

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I'm still allowed come in here, aren't I????

The eternal question posed by Mr. to Mrs. Ciderman no doubt. :P

(Sorry couldn't let a nugget like that go unused.)

GT5 is a delicious looking game but lost a bit of the fun factor.

Watched some of that "Indie Game: The Movie" film last night - jeebus Phil Fish and Tommy Refenes come across as awful arrogant d1cks.

Had the most fun with the go-karting section, it was great fun!
    But, the early stages at least retain the enjoyment of the earlier titles which, tellingly, I also got as far as the early stages in!
    In fact, I'm not sure I know anyone who persisted in playing a lot of Gran Turismo, after maybe the second one.
    Now, MSR, PGR, Forza, F1 titles, I know lots of folk who played those to death, but not GT....

Now, there's an interesting question.

To those who are playing Nights HD...

Won't it be best played on the 360 via XBLA, given the controller there has far more in common with the Nights controller than the nasty PS Dualshock 3?

I'm playing it on 360 and it's grand. Control can seem a tad unresponsive during the acrobatic sections, but think that's game design more than anything.

Oh, the Christmasy bonuses have indeed been cut. Unless they're unlocked when you get an A-grade in everything, which is unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Playing Crazy Taxi on the iPad.
    So far it looks ok, soundtrack is intact but the controls are a bit crappy. I'll give it a bit more time before I give up on the controls as they have a few options to tweak.

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    Playing Crazy Taxi on the iPad.
    So far it looks ok, soundtrack is a bit crappy but the controls are intact. I'll give it a bit more time before I give up on the controls as they have a few options to tweak.

Fixed it for ya!

Beat Forbidden Siren 2. It's a much better game than the first and doesn't require a FAQ to beat which is a big plus point. I kind of preferred the story of the first game tough.

Starting Luigi's Mansion!

Starting Luigi's Mansion!

So you must have finished it by now. What did you think? :)

It's a superb game, the implementation of the soundtrack, as Luigi whistles and hums along, in terror, great.
    Plus the fabric effects are nice too, every scene is like a diorama of action, brilliant!

It's a superb game, the implementation of the soundtrack, as Luigi whistles and hums along, in terror, great.
    Plus the fabric effects are nice too, every scene is like a diorama of action, brilliant!

Really enjoying Luigi's Mansion,so very nice graphical effects like the cloth physics, reflections and there's even pixel shaded textures in some areas. The ghosts are the stand out and still look superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Playing Perfecct Dark on GBC, too cheap to put a battery in the rumble pack.

Stupid door lock memory parts suck!

Really enjoying Luigi's Mansion,so very nice graphical effects like the cloth physics, reflections and there's even pixel shaded textures in some areas. The ghosts are the stand out and still look superb.

Looking forward to the 3D sequel on the 3DS, that and the stickery Paper Mario title, help let us forget that NSMB2 gubbins.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to the 3D sequel on the 3DS, that and the stickery Paper Mario title, help let us forget that NSMB2 gubbins.

Can't believe we're still waiting on them, I remember seeing pics of Paper Mario 3D before the 3DS was even released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I find it very odd considering games like NSMB2 were only announced recently and they're already out.

Another one I'm really annoyed at not having yet is Beyond the Labyrinth. :(

At this stage we'll probably have a working flash cart first.

The Sniper 2 is the greatest PS2 game ever.

The Sniper 2 is the greatest PS2 game ever.

Am guessing this is either sarcasm or someone else has hacked into your account and made you look silly?

Have you tried sniper elite, the original one on PS2? It's quite entertaining, if you forgive the graphical limitations of the console. Some of the berlin locations like the reichstag and the brandenburg gate are particularly nice looking for that generation.

The remake from earlier this year on the PS3/360 was fun too. Neither are amazing games, considering they are all sneaking and sniping all the time, which can make them a bit slow, but if that's your thing you'll like them. The remake is worth a look alone, just for the gnarly x-ray camera that happens when you line up a perfect shot and see your target's bones & teeth smashed and kidneys and testicles popped in slow mo :D. There's a free demo on Xbox and PSN too i think.

I may come in for criticism for this, but in terms of the best balance between sniping realism and sheer fun in a game, i still think the dedicated sniping misions in the first two COD modern warfare releases take some beating. The "ghillies in the mist" level is still one of my all time fave levels in a shooter, and the special ops mission in the second installment that's based on the same map is just as much fun.

Screw Sniper Elite, Sniper 2 has smelly killers!

Screw Sniper Elite, Sniper 2 has smelly killers!

Has it got this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iILgNQzwoC0#t=53s

Ouch!

• Advertisement

How immature. Has sniper elite got a story about a firefighter that lost his girlfriend then trains to be a sniper to get revenge on the mafia, links up with a mysterious contact named CA and when he finally meets CA finds out that she has all the memories of his previously deceased girlfriend. That's some amazing storytelling right there.

Has sniper elite got a story about a firefighter that lost his girlfriend then trains to be a sniper to get revenge on the mafia, links up with a mysterious contact named CA and when he finally meets CA finds out that she has all the memories of his previously deceased girlfriend..

Well no, no it hasn't. That is the one thing sniper elite IS missing. Ok i'll give you that one.

Still though, exploding testicles....eh?...eh?...c'mon...:D

Well no, no it hasn't. That is the one thing sniper elite IS missing. Ok i'll give you that one.

Still though, exploding testicles....eh?...eh?...c'mon...:D

Sniper Elite V2 is kind of fun. A bad bad game when you look at it externally but when playing it and not taking yourself serious its just plain silly fun :)

I like the grenade shots myself, here's one of mine.

And my Hitler shot.

Sniper Elite V2 is kind of fun. A bad bad game when you look at it externally but when playing it and not taking yourself serious its just plain silly fun :)

That's exactly it. If you ignore the premise or the repetitive nature of it, it is just plain old stupid fun. I'm fine with that, and it's the closest I've seen to a pure sniping game that doesn't get boring really quickly. It's no "the sniper 2" now, don't get me wrong, but it will do...

Is that hitler DLC worth a download? It looks interesting. I've a few points left over after buying some Batman Arkham City add on content. Am trying to decide what to spend it on.

That's exactly it. If you ignore the premise or the repetitive nature of it, it is just plain old stupid fun. I'm fine with that, and it's the closest I've seen to a pure sniping game that doesn't get boring really quickly. It's no "the sniper 2" now, don't get me wrong, but it will do...

Is that hitler DLC worth a download? It looks interesting. I've a few points left over after buying some Batman Arkham City add on content. Am trying to decide what to spend it on.

It's a decent fun level. Loads of dudes to snipe and some fun ways to kill them. And of course you've got Hitler to try and kill before he gets on the train.

• Advertisement

It's no "the sniper 2" now, don't get me wrong

Sure what is?

Playing a bit of "Doom 3 BFG Edition" today.
    There are some shockingly low resolution textures and it's really putting me off as the contrast between the low res textures and high res 3d models makes it look a mess.

Playing a bit of "Doom 3 BFG Edition" today.
    There are some shockingly low resolution textures and it's really putting me off as the contrast between the low res textures and high res 3d models makes it look a mess.

So, you can actually see things now in the game? :eek:

I'm still baffled there are genuine Doom 3 fans out there. There was huge excitement when the 'remake' was announced. Always thought the original was met with a consensus of apathy, especially given the months and months of hype.

I might do a Rise of the Robots re-release. In HD! Rose-tined nostalgia FTW!

EnterNow wrote: »
    So, you can actually see things now in the game? :eek:

Yeah, the visuals are a lot clearer now and not as dark.

Old Doom 3:
    black14061bb.jpg

New Doom 3:
    black14061bbb.jpg

Just tryed out the US Nes there. Full screen straight away with Shatter Hand, damn tight controls in that game :cool: Needs a 72pin connector though, took ages to get it working.

And my god the difference in the Nes when you use av as opposed to rf :eek: Anyone using rf take it from me, your doing it wrong!!

Then played some Contra 3 on the Snes.

I'm sorry, but low res rgb on a crt blows the sh1te outta hd visuals for me. HD is fine etc, but I like my video games to be just that, video games. I want them to look & sound like video games, not lens flared simulations of reality.

/rant

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just tryed out the US Nes there. Full screen straight away with Shatter Hand, damn tight controls in that game :cool: Needs a 72pin connector though, took ages to get it working.

And my god the difference in the Nes when you use av as opposed to rf :eek: Anyone using rf take it from me, your doing it wrong!!

Then played some Contra 3 on the Snes.

I'm sorry, but low res rgb on a crt blows the sh1te outta hd visuals for me. HD is fine etc, but I like my video games to be just that, video games. I want them to look & sound like video games, not lens flared simulations of reality.

/rant

Lol someone p1ss on your cornflakes this morning? :pac:

Ain't nothing beats low res CRT goodness, proper scanlines ftw. Not a surprising opinion seeing as we're on a Retro forum though. :cool:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Lol someone p1ss on your cornflakes this morning? :pac:

Ah no nothing like that, it just struck me while I was watching the intro sequence to LttP...there really is nothing like it & HD visuals, while pleasing to look at & entertain all the younglings, havn't a patch on low res rgb/crt. They really havn't.

I've got a 32" Full HD tv beside my 21" Crt so its not like I'm biased or anything, I can compare like for like on them. We really did lose out when we said goodbye to crt tech

Ah no nothing like that, it just struck me while I was watching the intro sequence to LttP...there really is nothing like it & HD visuals, while pleasing to look at & entertain all the younglings, havn't a patch on low res rgb/crt. They really havn't.

I've got a 32" Full HD tv beside my 21" Crt so its not like I'm biased or anything, I can compare like for like on them. We really did lose out when we said goodbye to crt tech
    I'd hate to be using a crt as my computer monitor dude.
    I love my retro gear but I also love my clean and crisp HD visuals as well.

I'd hate to be using a crt as my computer monitor dude.
    I love my retro gear but I also love my clean and crisp HD visuals as well.

Really? I always thought crt pc screens had a much softer & easier to look at type factor.

I like HD visuals, but don't ask me to stick a NES through a HD screen :D They're grand for modern gen & movies/media etc, but when it comes to retro gear, crt is untouchable

• Advertisement
Advertisement