Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

EnterNow wrote: »
    Really? I always thought crt pc screens had a much softer & easier to look at type factor.

I like HD visuals, but don't ask me to stick a NES through a HD screen :D They're grand for modern gen & movies/media etc, but when it comes to retro gear, crt is untouchable

Well yes retro gear should be hooked up to retro CRT screens(that includes the Wii as it looks crap on anything but a crt). That goes without saying and anyone not doing it is just crazy.
    Old consoles should never be seen on LCD.
    But I do prefer a good quality LCD for my movies and computer use. I mean imagine editing a 4K video file on some low res CRT, nightmare man, nightmare! I do miss the colour and contrast reproduction that I used to get on high end CRT's all those years ago but its all LCD and its ilk these days. Also by HD LCD I don't mean 1080p, thats not particularly high when you're talking about computer screens and I had higher on my old CRT's many years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RF is just absolute ass. Everything is a blurry mess and the colours are drowned out. The NES probably has the worst composite signal of most retro consoles and yet it's so much better. You can't play NES without copious amounts of dot crawl :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Got the Dreamcast SD card loader thingy working properly with some help from Steve_SI (Thanks again!)

It's such a shame that expansion port only handles 5Mbps, as the slower than disc speed loading is the only thing letting it down at the moment. Other than that, it's brilliant.

Definitely worth having sticking out the back of your DC. There are loads of games I wasn't bothered burning to disc that I've just dumped over. Quite a few smaller ones load up a good bit quicker too.

Edit - it booted Quake 3 really fast. Weird. I wonder is there scope there to develop Dreamshell in future versions to make retail games a bit more stable?

The only thing that bugs me is the lack of CDDA on the games when run via the SD adapter. But it's understandable with such a slow link on that serial port.
    It's pretty great for the emulators and roms as they all load really quickly.
    I'd say dreamshell plus that new SD adapter that replaces the GD-ROM drive will be a winner. No speed issues there.

Edit:
    If anyone else needs the right files and what not let me know.

Playing a Korean 3DO game I've never played before this morning called "The Eye of Typhoon".
    It was supposed to be a Neo-Geo fighter but never made it to the platform.
    I've not had a chance to test it on real hardware yet but will do later as its pants on the emulator.

3DO

PC

It came out on 3DO and MS-DOS but I think someone made a M.U.G.E.N version as well.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/3do/945377-the-eye-of-typhoon/images/box-100508

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eye_of_Typhoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I HATE Moon Cresta, kicked my ass some many times last night on the 60-in-1 board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

Steve SI wrote: »
    Playing a Korean 3DO game I've never played before this morning called "The Eye of Typhoon".
    It was supposed to be a Neo-Geo fighter but never made it to the platform.

Any sign of the high-res batrider pcb pics Steve ? I was close to pulling the trigger on that one on AO, but it was a feckin' Thailand version/virgin :P

ondafly wrote: »
    Any sign of the high-res batrider pcb pics Steve ? I was close to pulling the trigger on that one on AO, but it was a feckin' Thailand version/virgin :P

I've not even tested it for more than 10 mins to be honest as I've a load of new PCB's I've picked up in the last month to play/test. Plus I still haven't rotated my monitor :)
    I will get around to testing and photographing it shortly. I have a high res photo of the PCB I found online while researching before I bought my one if thats any good. I'm sure I can find it for you if you need a decent PCB pic right away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

Steve SI wrote: »
    I've not even tested it for more than 10 mins to be honest as I've a load of new PCB's I've picked up in the last month to play/test. Plus I still haven't rotated my monitor :)
    I will get around to testing and photographing it shortly. I have a high res photo of the PCB I found online while researching before I bought my one if thats any good. I'm sure I can find it for you if you need a decent PCB pic right away.

grand for now cheers - the guy had pics up but I could clearly see Thailand stamped on the chips. There are multiple versions of the board sadly, I just want the base model no frills attached JDM version. If you could throw up picks of the kit etc, that would be a great help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finally finished Luigi's Mansion, review up soon. I reallyenjoyed it.

Started Parasite Eve and first impressions is that it's superb, far better than the Resi knockoff sequel.

Im playing through super mario world at the moment, as I fancied some mario goodness. It's still as good as ever, and I'd forgotten how good the music in particular is in certain parts. The soundtrack when you're in a castle is just brilliant. Orchestral, synthetic, and brilliantly eerie. Like the work of some strange Japanese 16 bit Mozart-esque genius.

I do remember thinking on my first play through of it years ago that it wasn't quite as good as mario 3 (still my fave mario and contender for my fave game of all time full stop). I think I'd probably still stand by that, having played it again this evening, although it is an amazing game. I do remember being disappointed however, when I figured out that the "96 levels" that Nintendo had been advertising were actually just 96 exits, and you had to re-play through several of the levels to find the "hidden" second exits. It was probably my earliest memory of fraudulent advertising in video games :(

Not quite his best adventure, but a damn good one all the same...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I finally unwrapped Driver SF last night.
    Too my surprise it wasn't about being a taxi driver in Belfast in the 1980's. no, the SF stood for San Francisco!

But it seems to be a great game, I was awake til 2:30am playing it so it must have been good!

San Fran seems very unpopulated with cars though, rather bare...
    Perhaps this is an area where the next gen can step in and actually have a more realistically filled urban landscape.
    Of course the downside is it'll take 15 mins to get anywhere in the game, so it'll be like playing the missions on GTAIV again!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I finally unwrapped Driver SF last night....Perhaps this is an area where the next gen can step in and actually have a more realistically filled urban landscape.

That wasn't a bad game at all. Good silly fun. The "shift" mechanic is completely contrived, but works very well to keep things interesting.

The city looks nothing like the actual san francisco though, it's a more stylised, cartoony version and less than 100% geographically accurate.

Interesting point about how the next gen could recreate existing urban spaces better. Mediocre gameplay aside, i thought GTAIV did a great take on a living, breathing city, whereas the best i've seen in terms of geographical accuracy was some of the city circuits on some racing games like project gotham racing etc, but they were all "on rails" more or less and had no atmosphere. I liked "the getaway" on the last gen of consoles too, i seem to remember it recreating Saff London quite well, but again, it was lacking in atmosphere, or signs of life.

It would be really interesting to see a properly geographically correct rendering of New York or London or LA with really socially accurate depictions of life as it is in the various parts of it, with the AI obeying patterns like rush hour bustle, dole day queues, friday night drunken crowds, etc...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Getaway and it's sequel was quite battered on release, but I played and finished the first one, felt more like Minder to me than Lock,Stock!
    But, the driving at least was fun, where the on foot sections nearly broke the game they were so bad, not Rebel Strike bad but lousy never the less.
    Driver Parallel Lines is probably the most underrated game of the genre from the last gen, coming so late to the party didn't help things, having that polished turd as a forebear in the series didn't help either.
    I don't think I have it for the PS2, I have played on the Wii though and the inclusion of two time periods and a strong single player campaign is good news, the fact that the cops in it are complete b@stards is unfortunate, especially when you are in a mission, make a driving error and then are stuck trying to lose them for the next ten minutes!

Parallel Lines can be picked up for peanuts on PC now. Not my cup of tea at all. I don't like sandbox games and parallel lines is nowhere even close to the best of them.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't like sandbox games...

That's an interesting development in gaming lately, ie: people not liking sandbox games. Has the genre become stale?

After GTAIII we had a decade or so of sanbox everything to the point where a format which was fresh and exciting became generic for the most part. Even the pinnacle of the series, GTA, has more or less descended into a "drive here, fetch X/kill Y, drive there, avoid cops over and over again" exercise. Vice city was tight, compact, funny, more or less unique, and a load of fun, San andreas had story and character development, and was fun, but had a lot of boring empty spaces in it as a result of being too grand an undertaking. GTAIV's city was excellent, but the gameplay was bland and repetitive, even derivative by the time it came out (which is ironic for the franchise which single handedly created the open world genre).

I've always thought that rockstar would be far better off licensing their sandbox cities out to other devs to develop games for. Imagine a racing game with proper racing mechanics, or a proper FPS with good controls set in Liberty city. That approach could end up reinvigorating the genre. As it is, it doesn't hold much interest for me anymore. I like my gameplay tight and focused. I'm not even sure i'll be picking up GTA5 unless the reviews say it really is something special.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That's an interesting development in gaming lately, ie: people not liking sandbox games. Has the genre become stale?

After GTAIII we had a decade or so of sanbox everything to the point where a format which was fresh and exciting became generic for the most part. Even the pinnacle of the series, GTA, has more or less descended into a "drive here, fetch X/kill Y, drive there, avoid cops over and over again" exercise. Vice city was tight, compact, funny, more or less unique, and a load of fun, San andreas had story and character development, and was fun, but had a lot of boring empty spaces in it as a result of being too grand an undertaking. GTAIV's city was excellent, but the gameplay was bland and repetitive, even derivative by the time it came out (which is ironic for the franchise which single handedly created the open world genre).

I've always thought that rockstar would be far better off licensing their sandbox cities out to other devs to develop games for. Imagine a racing game with proper racing mechanics, or a proper FPS with good controls set in Liberty city. That approach could end up reinvigorating the genre. As it is, it doesn't hold much interest for me anymore. I like my gameplay tight and focused. I'm not even sure i'll be picking up GTA5 unless the reviews say it really is something special.

DayZ already does the FPS in a sandbox world, and it's brilliant.

The last GTA that was fun for me was Vice City, incredible soundtrack too.

I like my gameplay tight and focused, probably a hang over from the 16-bit console days. However when a game promises freedom I don't like to have constraints placed on that freedom. I really loved GTA 3 despite the gameplay being so janky because there weren't constraints placed on the player in how to beat missions. You could always find some crazy way around it like in one when you chased after a suspect you could block the road off with cars and screw with the AI. Try it in the later GTA games and initiating the mission reset the game world and even worse, in GTA 4 the world becomes scripted.

I think GTA 4 totally failed for me as a sandbox game because it was trying to tell a story, it hemmed the player in and the missions might as well have been in a CoD game with how scripted they became. GTA was never about story, it was always terrible but it was knowingly so and the designers had fun with it because they knew they couldn't control the world and crazy stuff would happen. You had a story that fit the crazy random nature of the world.

It's probably why I got so addicted to Minecraft since it's a true sandbox whereas I'm bored silly of sandbox games trying to force me force me to do what the designers want, what's the point having a sandbox then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i never forget the time playing san andreas and doing bicycle tricks and as i was just about to leave an airplane crashes into a building and explodes.

may be the funniest thing i ever seen :pac:

Just got "Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams" so playing that at the moment.
    It looks quite nice and so far plays well.

• Advertisement

The absolute worst things about GTA4 were connected tbh.
    1: The Commute, when, you start a mission at someones apartment but then have to drive 10 minutes to the mission location. A real pain in the backside.

2: The poor choice of mission check points, when you frak up the mission and you find yourself back at the start again, not at the mission location, oh no, back at the fools apartment where he gives you the same information all over again, then you have to commute to the mission location!

Aside from that the game was grand, Retr0, you can't have it every way.
    Do you want a strong story line? Then it's going to have linear story telling.
    You want something more open, then the story is going to take a hit.
    Nothing worse then being told "not enough experience to go to the next main story mission, off you jolly well go and grind the ass out of side quests until we call you back", and you know, the same thing happened in Oblivion, in GTAIII and now, in Driver SF.

At least in GTAIV, you got the main missions laid out, there was often multiple choices of what to do next, but, yes, you were expected to complete them all eventually.
    No, it still is a pretty essential game, only the infernal commute stops me from finishing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I just loved driving around the Liberty City of GTAIV. Whatever about everything else, there was just something endlessly rewarding about exploring such a detailed, vibrant city. Ballad of Gay Tony improved things immeasurably by actively encouraging you to jump off the buildings without penalty :P

I'm hoping GTAV has learned from the mistakes of its predecessor, and the countless improvements of Red Dead Redemption (the narrative-led sandbox game).

Red Dead Redemption, well said Mr U, that really was the cats PJs.
    All my favourite western movies and I got to be in them, from High Noon to The Wild Bunch, they all had a role in there somewhere, saving the livestock from a barn aflame, shooting dead a cur that owes you money, the music, probably the best soundtrack I have heard in a long time.
    And all that forgets the zombie apocalypse of The Undead Nightmare, which I have yet to play despite owning it, a present to myself when I judge myself worthy!

I thought the story they forced on you was dire. In the old GTA games the shooting sections were god awful but you could put up with it because the sandbox made up for it. In GTA4 the shooting was improved but still god awful and scripted so there was only one way to beat the mission completely invalidating the reason for the sandbox. Even the driving missions were ruined by scripting them as well, something that was creeping in even as far back as Vice City which had a few awful scripted driving sections.

It was just a dull game with dull main missions and a sandbox that no fun to mess around in completely negating the reason for having a sandbox. In previous games I could spend hours just pissing about in the cities, in GTA4 they managed to make that boring as well.

I found the GTAIV episodes a lot better, they were silly and allowed you to have fun with the world.

I actually much prefer the Rockstar games that aren't made by the Scottish team. I found Red Dead Redemption, the Warriors and my favourite of their output, Bully to be far better than the GTA games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bully was great. Any game that allows you to hop in your go-kart, drive through the seasonal streets and check out the local carnival is A-OK in my book.

If there's one thing to be said for GTA, it's that the basic formula has been applied to several diverse settings with consistently excellent results. At least two of which have been better than GTA itself!

Master of the Universe

I'm hoping GTAV has learned from the mistakes of its predecessor, and the countless improvements of Red Dead Redemption (the narrative-led sandbox game).

Thing about Red Dead Redemption - it was so narrative-led, that by the time I decided to take a break from it and go a bit mad/do some side missions etc, the game was over!

I know you can continue on after the end and finish everything off, but once a game gets to this point I tend to put it down.

Played more of Driver today, it's all quite contrived and silly but lots of fun. Like Portal with cars and trucks!
    No motorbikes that I can see and a lot of Alfa Romeo cars for American streets!

Only problem with Driver: San Fran is when you realise 75% of missions can be completed by simply possessing oncoming traffic and performing kamikaze runs on the cars you need to stop.

Lots of fun though. Got around halfway through - to a mission when things started getting very interesting, actually. Must go back to it soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I think it speaks well to Red Dead Redemption that the only fault I can find with it is that its assumption (super-major, massive, ubertacluar spoilers)
    that the only way a sinner-man can redeem himself is by dying

What's worse, even that makes complete sense.

• Advertisement

It's not a flaw but rather an appreciated respect for the American Old West mythos.
    Fingers crossed that we see another story from that time.

Making an exception on my informal "no zombie spin-offs" rule and playing Yakuza Dead Souls. I have a weakness for the series despite all its eccentricities - just love walking around a small sandbox Tokyo filled with detail, mini-games and distraction. This is basically a full Yakuza game just filled with zombie genocide for whatever reason :pac: You can still go golfing, play bowling, hit up the arcade - but then you can head off and go hunting through zombie town. The combat is hardly the best gaming has to offer, but its fun.

I am looking forward to the proper sequel, whenever it comes out. While Dead Souls has a much more humourous story and lighthearted tone, the basic game, engine and setting are still the same as Yakuza 3 (I skipped four), albeit with a few new mini-games and zombies. An enjoyable spin-off, though.

Stoopid chocolate land. World 6 in super mario world is a right hoor :-(

If it wasn't so easy to amass 99 lives in pretty much every mario game I'd have been knackered by now. Some of those auto scrolling castle levels with the big crunchie looking things that squash you are properly tricky.

Master of the Universe

Spent the evening today playing Hotline Miami - is it just me or does it feel like an 8 bit videogame version of Drive? (which isn't a bad thing at all!)

My main difficulty at the moment is I can't find my mouse, so have to play it with a trackpad. Proving to be quite the challange! Still, heaps of fun. Had that 'just one more go' thing every time you die, similar to Super Meat Boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Playing Megaman Extreme on Gameboy, suprisingly difficult later on in tha game, tis really testing my patience.

Also playing Bubble Ghost on Gameboy great game.

Started chrono trigger DS. Wonderful conversion and the game is still one of the best examples of the RPG genre. It's a joy to play.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Started chrono trigger DS. Wonderful conversion and the game is still one of the best examples of the RPG genre. It's a joy to play.

Am starting the SNES version shortly. Am looking forward to it. Waiting for my USB snes pad to be delivered first.

I have to finish the DS version actually, keep meaning to. Played a lot of it on extended Shinaknsen journeys one summer in Nippon, but never actually got to the end. Probably will have to start again at this point, although I always get distracted by the carnival games at the start. That Gato intro music!

Messing around with a few PS1 games last night.

Overblood 2, well what did I expect. Really awful stuff. Framerate is pathetic as well, made worse by the fact that it's a PAL version.

Megaman Legends. Superb Ocarina of Time type game that actually came out before Ocarina of Time. Will have to play this one more.

Crash Bandicoot 2. Oh dear. Time has not been kind to the crash bandicoot games. Looks great but the game play is fairly stinky.

• Advertisement

The third one of the Crash games was pretty good looking, lots of crappy 3D jumping, necessitating restarts and checkpoints ago-go, bugger!
    I guess, the other options at that time for 3D platforming were the Rare titles on the N64, after Ninty did Mario 64, OoT and MM and decided they'd covered the subject comprehensively enough, so we got Banjo, Jet Set and Conker, not as good as Mario 64 but a damn sight better than the Crash titles.

Just finished the bonus Land of the Livid Dead in Rayman Origins, thus concluding my time with the game (sorry time trials, I'm not that OCD). Some of the last stages are seriously challenging - still a little stressed after the last boss. Some close to pixel perfect obstacle courses you have to navigate, with little room for error. Occasionally the balance tips a tad towards the unfair, but mostly I think the game was a refreshingly old-school platformer with some nice tricks up its sleeve and superb art / technical design.

Played a bit of the new "007 Legends" last night on the PC. Crappy as hell COD style bond abomination :mad:
    Also grabbed NFS Most Wanted on the iPad which was pretty entertaining for an iOS driving game and the graphics are decent as well. Then got down to some proper retro fun with Duck Tales on the NES.

Had a nice session of Gradius III last night, fun but Gradius Gaiden is better.
    Darius doesn't even get a look in!
    Played some Flying Shark on the MD as well, got a long way in before weariness took me, the Arcade Power Stick II I got from MonkeyKube works great with it though, a nice stick indeed.

Got 'The Bard's Tale' for the android tablet, very good and no problems with the touchscreen controls either.

"Wasted" an hour on Super Hexagon this morning on the wifes ipad, that game is like that, that crack cocaine de kids do be taking!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    "Wasted" an hour on Super Hexagon this morning on the wifes ipad, that game is like that, that crack cocaine de kids do be taking!

I got half my extended family - including, in a small miracle, my FIFA-only brother! - addicted to it at a recent gathering. So proud :)

Hardest is still painful though :( Can manage 60+ on hard and harder, but from level three onwards the spirals melt brains and eyes.

Watch the video of Terry Cavanagh finishing it on the hyper hexagonest setting, it was awesome, and impossible!

Have been playing a lot of Catrap on the Gameboy lately. Excellent puzzle game that features a rewind feature which is so handy if you manage to screw up. It's on the 3DS shop for next to nothing.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/catrap/catrap.htm

Started Final Fantasy III/VI last night on android (SNES emulator), these RPG's are very playable on touchscreen and its easy enough to play them on the tablet while having half an eye on the TV.

Although trying to play 3 RPG's at the same time isn't going to end well I fear.

Master of the Universe

Started Beyond Oasis last night.

I've played it a bit before, but this time I'm going to finish the thing.

I noticed some familiar sound effects while playing it and figured out they're from Streets of Rage. Looked it up and apparently the whole Streets of Rage sound library was loaded onto the cart but 'never used' - errr, I beg to differ!

• Advertisement
Advertisement