Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yuzo Koshiro did the music and sound effects and probably used his same megadrive sound driver and his mothers company Ancient were the developers so it makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Found the other half's Atari 2600 in a recent clear out of her house.
    Power supply was banjaxed so got a universal one for €5 in power city. 9V 500ma.

Centipede, Off the Wall, Junior PacMan ,32 in 1 cartridge with random games and last but not least Vanguard.

Couldn't get it working on my Samsung Smart TV but got it working on a Sony Bravia instead, Phew.

Spent most on my time playing Vanguard, it was way ahead of its time, great side scrolling shooter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

2600 Game Guide pt1

Pacman= Ball Crushing Disappointment!

Pacman Jr/Ms Pacman= WTF didn't these guys make Pacman, they're great!

Defender II aka:Stargate= Utter Bliss, even Jeff Minter could improve on this beauty of a game, and the one I demo when showing off the 2600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    2600 Game Guide pt1

Pacman= Ball Crushing Disappointment!

Pacman Jr/Ms Pacman= WTF didn't these guys make Pacman, they're great!

Defender II aka:Stargate= Utter Bliss, even Jeff Minter could improve on this beauty of a game, and the one I demo when showing off the 2600

That does look good, might try and pick it up somewhere.

http://youtu.be/ndjFSmI4EN8

Reviewer ain't much good at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Not retro but I've been playing a bit of the new "Angry Birds Star Wars" this evening. It's pretty fun in the same way every other version of Angry Birds is, except with star wars, obviously.

Few snaps(click for larger):
    img0803.th.pngimg0804.th.pngimg0805.th.png
    img0807.th.pngimg0808e.th.pngimg0809.th.png

Intro(best in HD):

Steve SI wrote: »
    Not retro but I've been playing a bit of the new "Angry Birds Star Wars" this evening. It's pretty fun in the same way every other version of Angry Birds is, except with star wars, obviously...

Another few million for george lucas to throw into his pension pot.

Jesus, he really milked every last drop he could out of the franchise before he offloaded it to disney, didn't he...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Was almost finished beyond Oasis, accidentally took a wrong turn towards the end game part, and am pretty sure I've now broken the game and have managed to get stuck with no way out.

I thought I was jumping off a cliff into the final castle, but it turns out I jumped down into one of the castles I already completed. (I was meant to go left, but I went right)

So I went through it again (seemed to be no other way out) - which lead me to the next castle I'd already completed, so I did that again, only to lead me to the next one - which was sealed off, I can't get back through.

It's really frustrating, as the game is very like ALTTP - only if this happened in a Zelda game, you could just walk back to the previous screen. This game has cliffs all around the castles to make going through them linear.

Raging so I am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Was almost finished beyond Oasis, accidentally took a wrong turn towards the end game part, and am pretty sure I've now broken the game and have managed to get stuck with no way out.

It's really frustrating, as the game is very like ALTTP - only if this happened in a Zelda game, you could just walk back to the previous screen. This game has cliffs all around the castles to make going through them linear.

Raging so I am!

It happened to me the first time I was playing through LttP. I somehow managed to 'break' the Ice Palace in Dark World, & when I resumed my savegame, there was no way for me to get to the block you have to drop down through the floor. I crawled that dungeon for literally weeks thinking there had to be a way...but alas, the savegame was spawning me in a place I shouldn't be & there was no way to continue.

Had to start from the very beginning again :( When I got to the Ice Palace again, I made sure I completed it in one sitting.

Master of the Universe

So not even ALTTP escapes game breaking? Awh, that must have been awful! Especially with such an amazing game on your first play through..when it was released!

So not even ALTTP escapes game breaking? Awh, that must have been awful! Especially with such an amazing game on your first play through..when it was released!

Yep, I was convinced I was doing something wrong. But I went through every doorway, every corridor, even consulted the secrets book incase it was some massive secret I was missing...but alas, whatever way I left my savegame, resuming meant I physically couldn't get back to where I should have been able to.

I remember absolutely dreading the Ice Palace next time round, fearing the same thing would happen again. Flew through it with ease because I had explored the thing inside out previously

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I played Sonic 06 and got stuck in a wall, do I get any sympathy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Metal Slug 1 and Blazing Star

Playing a bit of Sine Mora on the PC tonight. It just came out in the last 24 hours on Steam.
    The graphics wont push most modern PC's but it certainly looks a lot clearer and more detailed than the 360 version(which is understandable of course).

Edit:
    A quick graphics comparison I did between the PC and 360 versions of the game using one of the first levels.

Master of the Universe

Metal Slug 1 and Blazing Star

It doesn't get any better!

It doesn't get any better!

It does, remove the number 1 and add a 3 and it's happy days :)

I'll skip the second one so and go straight for the third!

So not even ALTTP escapes game breaking? Awh, that must have been awful!..
    EnterNow wrote: »
    ...I was convinced I was doing something wrong. But I went through every doorway, every corridor, even consulted the secrets book incase it was some massive secret I was missing...but alas, whatever way I left my savegame, resuming meant I physically couldn't get back to where I should have been able to...

Doesn't using the magic mirror when you're inside a palace or a dungeon in ALTTP bring you right back to the front door...?

Doesn't using the magic mirror when you're inside a palace or a dungeon in ALTTP bring you right back to the front door...?

Tried it, tried restarting from Links house, tried everything...seriously, everything. The path to the block I needed to drop through the floor was blocked. When I started a new game, the path wasn't blocked.

Well I moved one or two consoles around to make space for the Duo R & gave it some playtesting this evening. Played some R Type, Splatterhouse, & some bizarre Japanese platformer :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

The Splatterhouse port is really good isnt it? Better than the Megadrive one I think.

It's a great console for just picking a game at random and giving it a go. You never know what the hell is going to turn up. This one wasn't too bad.

China Warrior (really big sprites!)

The Splatterhouse port is really good isnt it? Better than the Megadrive one I think.

It is actually a decent port, I havn't played the Meg version though so can't compare like for like. Loving the Duo R though, I can see myself buying a ton of hu cards over the next while

Splatterhouse is pretty great on the Pc Engine, much better than the Megadrive version I think.

On the whole buy hucard thing, i wish there were more bulk/job lots of them like you see with the famicom etc.
    I want my games in bulk god damn it!!

Master of the Universe

Ah, I didn't even notice they were from Hit Japan. Great shop that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Jebus not sure what's happening to my taste in games these days. Not retro but I just played a bit of Euro Truck Simulator 2 and it's actually quite addictive, very relaxing too. :eek: :o

Makes a change from dodging bullets. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Oh I'm playing a similiar title on ds called Mario Kart.

After double dash I think it's the best mario kart game. Multiplayer isn't the same when you can't watch the other players screen though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Should all get Tokyo Bus Guide for the DC, like Crazy Taxi but less crazy.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    but I just played a bit of Euro Truck Simulator 2 and it's actually quite addictive

Ffs man :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I have to echo that statement.

Give me 18 Wheeler Pro Trucker any day. :-)

• Advertisement

Almost as outrageous as the recent non-modded/50Hz/RF Megadrive scandals round these parts. :cool:

Truck Sim is deadly.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Truck Sim is deadly.

Right up Sir Ultimate's street I'd say :pac:

Right up Sir Ultimate's street I'd say :pac:

Haven't spotted any old men fapping in cinemas in the game yet. Closest was a driver flashing me (with their lights!) to turn left. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gave Under Defeat HD a whirl there. It's a weird port. On one hand, the visuals have been completely rescaled to fit 16:9 screens, which is hella impressive. Apart from that worthy feat, the graphics aren't a huge step up, but they're serviceable. This may sound like sacrilege, but the addition of a 'dual stick' option is really quite a positive development - it's still quirky, but makes the game more accessible without diminishing the challenge! Dare I suggest I even prefer it to using a stick? **** it, I dare!

The menus and intro scene (with borderline unreadable font on a 42" screen), meanwhile, look like they were thrown together during someone's lunch break. Unfortunately ensures your first few minutes with the game make it look like a cheap, lazy port more suited to a download than a full retail release. Still, the game more than makes up for it. I've only played it at beers before, and boy is it a tough one!

Master of the Universe

I've only played it at beers before, and boy is it a tough one!

That's just wrong! :eek:

Was looking at some videos, it just doesn't look right in 16:9.

It doesn't feel right in 16:9 either. Your helicopter when you turn to shoot feels like it's making a massive arc and it's quite off putting. Best to tate it or play with borders.

Master of the Universe

Just powered on my Mega CD 2 for the first time in two years. Still works! Then realized the only game I have for it is Dune. :(

I like the Dune universe and all, but it's a bit of a snore fest.

Just thinking, why oh why hasn't anyone created Everdrive Mega CD support? Seems like an ideal solution, especially for a device with such an old CD drive.

Holy ****, you can boot different region Mega CD bios files from the Everdrive. Just have the Jap one up now. So it basically makes the console region free. Sweet!! Time to start importing!!

Or, might I suggest, just buy a cake of cdrs?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Or, might I suggest, just buy a cake of cdrs?

Its still very fussy with the region. You can change the region code of the disc image before burning but its very hit & miss.

The Everdrive is the perfect solution to it, or you can install a region free Bios, or use Arakons multi region bios chip too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Everdrive is the handiest solution really, no soldering required. And I think it acts as a memory cart for the Mega CD as well ? Damn shame 99% of the games are muck though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Wood

Achilles wrote: »
    I have to echo that statement.

Give me 18 Wheeler Pro Trucker any day. :-)

No way, this is the real deal, keep your trucks: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Street-Cleaning-Simulator-PC-DVD/dp/B0051NPKS8

Wood wrote: »
    No way, this is the real deal, keep your trucks: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Street-Cleaning-Simulator-PC-DVD/dp/B0051NPKS8

Only two left in stock, luckily they've more on the way

Burning Fight

Only two left in stock, luckily they've more on the way

Hey, did you open F-Zero and play it yet?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Hey, did you open F-Zero and play it yet?

Nope, it made it this long without being opened so I may leave it be. It'll join the ranks of my other handful of still sealed games & I'll just pick up a loose cart at some stage...did you open yours?? Don't tell me they're duds :o

Nope, it made it this long without being opened so I may leave it be. It'll join the ranks of my other handful of still sealed games & I'll just pick up a loose cart at some stage...did you open yours?? Don't tell me they're duds :o

I plan on opening it, when I get my stuff out of storage. I've never had a new snes game before so it will be nice to experience it and it also give me an excuse to upload an unboxing video.
    I hear those are quite popular around these parts.

My only worry is, will I be able to handle the speed? I mean F-Zero is fast but now it will be 60hz fast! Can my declining reflexes handle it?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    My only worry is, will I be able to handle the speed? I mean F-Zero is fast but now it will be 60hz fast! Can my declining reflexes handle it?

To be fair, the Snes can't do blast processing so it won't be that fast. Its only Sega that does, what Nintendon't.

To be fair, the Snes can't do blast processing so it won't be that fast. Its only Sega that does, what Nintendon't.

If Sega do what Nintendon't and Nintendo do what Nintendo, what does NEC do and don't do?

The Turbo Grafx does the same stuff the PC Engine does, only in a much sh1ttier case, oh yeah!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Been playing Phantasy Star IV all day. I started it before a couple of years back but didn't give it a proper chance - so started again from the beginning today.

It's so good! One of those games I really wish someone had bought me back when it came out.

Absolutely loving the soundtrack too.

Advertisement