Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Never got around to beating it but it's by far the least aged of the phantasy star games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Been playing Phantasy Star IV all day. I started it before a couple of years back but didn't give it a proper chance - so started again from the beginning today.

It's so good! One of those games I really wish someone had bought me back when it came out.

Absolutely loving the soundtrack too.

Hurray! I told you it was good. Phantasy Star has always been weird, a quite archaic game system but also with some very forward thinking systems and storytelling. Phantasy Star IV was when they got it right, superb story, awesome macros based battle system, no more dungeons that need graph paper to get through them, and that FM synth soundtrack. Better than chrono trigger? It's a close one, I think it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Been playing Phantasy Star IV all day. I started it before a couple of years back but didn't give it a proper chance - so started again from the beginning today.

It's so good! One of those games I really wish someone had bought me back when it came out.

Absolutely loving the soundtrack too.

I heard Edge gave it 6/10.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I heard Edge gave it 6/10.....

The mark of a classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Taking a break from Phantasy Star IV for the evening. I'd play through the night, but I have work in the morning!

And a big wow, I didn't think there'd be a Mega
    Aeris moment so early in the game :(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Playing a good bit of Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube. Tis class.

I loved everything about Eternal Darkness except playing it. It's a big of a dog but with a great story and atmosphere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I loved that the devs took the prevailing Resi model of horror titles and threw it out, making a game with a true multi chapter structure with genuine cinematic if not literary weight.
    I could have seen Hammer making a great version of the game as a movie.
    Nice to see too that there is little need for epic Stars agents to kick ass and take names, rather a motley crew of normal people caught up in Lovecraftian horror and dread.
    Also, enjoyed the manner the locations alter and change over the years, the church a character itself and, in a classic fiction conceit, you know more than the characters do, in particular after the first chapter or two is through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just 'cleared' Forza Horizon...enjoyable enough for a while, but it got so repetitive driving in the same location all the time I was just crying out to go back to Forza 4 for some variation.

Plus, driving a Ferrari F40 down a dirt road seems like sacrilege...that car should only ever be driven on a cashmere surface lined with silk road markings.

Water-Camera-740.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I picked up Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed (awkward title much). It pretty much redefines gaming fan service. Fantastic tracks and a varied cast of characters, although the mechanics aren't quite as sharp as the plumber's adventures in go-karting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 (nintendo arnt so great with titles) on a Green GBA micro and once my charging cable arrives from China_Sign_Slow.jpg China I'll be playing it on my ASG 101 that I picked up for €5 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Playing Sid Meier's Colonization (1994) at the moment. Its one of the best old school time wasting strategy games ever. I'm diving in and out of UFO Enemy Unknown as well.

God bless the man (or woman) who made DosBox

Sat down to play Phantasy Star 3 last night on emulators on the Wii. Then I thought to myself, hey I have an everdrive I should play it on the original hardware!

Then I realised I've only an RF cable... about 15 euro from ebay.

Then I realised my controllers are screwed... 6 button controller from ebay 25 euro (why the **** are these so expensive? Is there anywhere that does them cheaper? Also I'm not settling for a crappy non-official controller)

Then I realised that my Megadrive is 50 Hz... whatever the hell that would cost to get it modded.

Retro gaming is an expensive business. PS3 will have to wait since I'm broke.

Played Super Turrican instead and 5 minutes later my batteries ran out on the Wiimote. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sat down to play Phantasy Star 3 last night on emulators on the Wii. Then I thought to myself, hey I have an everdrive I should play it on the original hardware!

Then I realised I've only an RF cable... about 15 euro from ebay.

Then I realised my controllers are screwed... 6 button controller from ebay 25 euro (why the **** are these so expensive? Is there anywhere that does them cheaper? Also I'm not settling for a crappy non-official controller)

Then I realised that my Megadrive is 50 Hz... whatever the hell that would cost to get it modded.

Retro gaming is an expensive business. PS3 will have to wait since I'm broke.

Played Super Turrican instead and 5 minutes later my batteries ran out on the Wiimote. :mad:
    #nerdworldproblems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Unless the cable has been chewed off there is very little to go wrong with them, buttons can get sticky and jam from years of sweaty unwashed hand - not saying you're sweaty and unwashed but it's a fair assumption :D
    The membrane contacts can be restored with a wipe of rubbing alcohol.

You'd be surprised how simple it is to 'fix' dodgy controllers.

Master of the Universe

There are several different hardware variations of the Megadrive 3 button pad. I remember taking a few different types apart and writing a long post about it ages ago as I'm forever trying to make working ones.

The only thing to go really are those membranes. If you have controller with a membrane under the D pad - junk it and find a contoller that uses a plastic D pad dome instead. They're lovely D pads and they never seem to wear out. (From what I remember, they're the later release pads that came with the Megadrive 2, they have red start buttons)

Membrance replacement - I've been taking the start button membranes out of not so good pads and then putting them under the ABC buttons to make one 'new' pad.

Didn't know you could fix them with rubbing alcohol though, must give that a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 (nintendo arnt so great with titles) on a Green GBA micro and once my charging cable arrives from China I'll be playing it on my ASG 101 that I picked up for €5 :rolleyes:

Any idea where to pick up a cheap ASG 101 anyone?

I've looked on ebay and amazon but they're very expensive.

Seem to have been released mainly in America. So ebay.com sells them for $60 plus p&p which can be hefty as well.

Unless the cable has been chewed off there is very little to go wrong with them, buttons can get sticky and jam from years of sweaty unwashed hand - not saying you're sweaty and unwashed but it's a fair assumption :D
    The membrane contacts can be restored with a wipe of rubbing alcohol.

You'd be surprised how simple it is to 'fix' dodgy controllers.

The rubber membranes are competely screwed on the d-pad and the buttons. It's nothing to do with them being sticky from dirt and sweat, the rubber has gone hard and erroded away from being in storage for years.

Master of the Universe

The rubber membranes are competely screwed on the d-pad and the buttons. It's nothing to do with them being sticky from dirt and sweat, the rubber has gone hard and erroded away from being in storage for years.

You have a controller with D pad membrane?

Throw it away and get one of the ones I was talking about.

Yeah they are very early 3 button pads. I'm looking into a new 6 button but won't be for a while.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Mini 6 button pad or one of those 'Batman' ones?

The mini ones are just too damn small! And I don't exactly have shovel hands either :pac:

Hmm, didn't know there were two types. Probably the Batman ones, since I;ve big hands.

I couldn't wait so started up Phantasy Star 3 last night. It's the black sheep of the PS series and I can see why. It's more medieval fantasy than sci-fi like the rest of the series but apparently that makes sense later on.

As for the gameplay it's pretty good, it's the same kind of battle system as PS2 but a little easier to understand. Attacks are automatic unless you want to make a change in the order you interrupt it.

It seems there's a hell of a lot less grinding to do than PS2 and dungeons so far have been relatively easy to navigate and aren't the multiple teleporter monstrosities from PS2.

In all honesty, what are the Mass Effect games like on the 360?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

EnterNow wrote: »
    In all honesty, what are the Mass Effect games like on the 360?

First is a bit of a chore - nice ideas, but not quite there yet. Also a bit frustrating technically - ****ing lifts. Worth playing through in anticipation of the superior sequel, as your choices in the first are important going forward.

Second is great, IMO. Fantastic player-led storytelling - it's sci-fi hokum, but it genuinely feels like a player-driven story with a great cast of characters and very tight mechanics. Choices matter, and while the main story is only a few missions long, all the supporting cast get meaty, worthwhile subplots.

Third is a mixed bag. Felt like much more of a grind than the second, even though in essence the mechanics are the same (possibly too simplified). It provides some nice closure in some respects, but a step back overall and too repetitive gameplay wise (really wish there were more non-combat options). Plus, y'know, that ending, which was a real cop-out after the epic finale of part two.

First is a bit of a chore - nice ideas, but not quite there yet. Also a bit frustrating technically - ****ing lifts. Worth playing through in anticipation of the superior sequel, as your choices in the first are important going forward.

Second is great, IMO. Fantastic player-led storytelling - it's sci-fi hokum, but it genuinely feels like a player-driven story with a great cast of characters and very tight mechanics. Choices matter, and while the main story is only a few missions long, all the supporting cast get meaty, worthwhile subplots.

Third is a mixed bag. Felt like much more of a grind than the second, even though in essence the mechanics are the same (possibly too simplified). It provides some nice closure in some respects, but a step back overall. Plus, y'know, that ending, which was a real cop-out after the epic finale of part two.

I have heard the uproar about the ending of the third yeah, but knowing nothing about the game it all kind of passed me buy. So they're worth picking up at some stage? Cool, cheers!

They should all be absolutely filthy cheap now as well, even brand new. Got ME2 for 7.50 six months after it was released. They are worth playing, first game is really showing it's age what with anything outside of the main mission being copy and pasted (quite literally, every interior is the same 2 interiors with the crates moved around a bit). Second one is way better, combat is improved but still feels like a ropey third person shooter. It's not a game that you play for the combat, the roleplaying and player choice makes them better. Don't mind people fuming over the ending, it's typical over entitled nerd rage, you've played games with far more disappointing endings.

Word of advice, don't get any of the DLC for the first 2 games anyway. Even the supposedly excellent Lair of the Shadow Broker was a bit crap.

I have heard the uproar about the ending of the third yeah, but knowing nothing about the game it all kind of passed me buy. So they're worth picking up at some stage? Cool, cheers!

I'd say so, someone will inevitably disagree :pac: Don't be expecting the most in-depth RPGs ever made, or the most inspired mythology ever, but they do a lot of things well and are infinitely preferable to the genuinely appalling Dragon Age games.

As for the ending, it was more disappointing that the war crime most insinuated, but it was a bum note to end the series on after they spent so much time building a story layered with choice. Supposedly the free DLC is ending is a bit better, but couldn't have been arsed playing through the last hour again to see it. Maybe just quit before the last mission ;)

They should all be absolutely filthy cheap now as well, even brand new.

Well thats what prompted my asking tbh, I've seen them used/new for pittens & it struck me I know absolutely nothing about these games!

• Advertisement

Well thats what prompted my asking tbh, I've seen them used/new for pittens & it struck me I know absolutely nothing about these games!

Make sure you pick up Mass Effect 2 and 3 new. You'll miss out on content otherwise and the difference between the price of new and used copies is usually way more than the price of the online pass.

Make sure you pick up Mass Effect 2 and 3 new. You'll miss out on content otherwise and the difference between the price of new and used copies is usually way more than the price of the online pass.

As in if I bought a used one, then having to buy a pass would cost more than buying it new?

As in if I bought a used one, then having to buy a pass would cost more than buying it new?

Yep. TBH you should be able to get the second game for less than the price of the online pass. It should be in the sub 10 euro zone so you might as well buy it new. Mass Effect 1 has no such online pass.

Well it costs nearly fifteen euro for the online pass, so add that to the pre-owned cost if you want the full package. It's not necessarily vital for the second game - the content is very obviously tacked on, especially the extra character, to the point where it almost felt like a waste of time - but the online features definitely enhance the third. But yeah, if there's only a few euro in the difference, splash out on the new copy.

Ah Zaeed. When he died in the last mission (not a spoiler since it's based on how you did) it felt like a victory.

Ah Zaeed. When he died in the last mission (not a spoiler since it's based on how you did) it felt like a victory.

"Are you sure you would like to send Zaeed into the noxious pipe? Thalia is immune to the gas."

"You sent Zaeed into the noxious pipe"

• Advertisement

Was kind of annoyed at the end of his sub mission when he was acting like a spoiled little baby and whining that I got renegade points for telling him he was a dick and to stop acting like an idiot. He guy tried to kill innocent civilians so he could get his revenge and the nice thing to do was side with him? Thankfully I was ignoring the paragon/renegade system which is totally stupid so it was still satisfying.

He showed up in ME3 at one point. Completely forget why (something about a smuggler?)

That's what annoyed me about the third, actually. Many of the great characters reduced to mere cameos. Replaced by generic crewmate no. 3 :(

The original Mass Effect reeked of Star Wars: The Old Republic, sharing much DNA with the established franchise.
    In fact I can remember it coming in for some flak as it was felt by many reviewers to be a Star Wars game but with a weaker IP supporting the familiar mechanics.
    The follow ups distanced themselves from the KOTOR template, introducing proper realtime battles, to the extent that it did become a 3rd person cover shooter in part, losing something in the process.

Had a good gaming session last night,
    Started with some Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario Bros, Parodius and Balloon Fight on the Famicom, then moved to Super's Empire and Jedi on the Snes.
    Later then a couple of hours of RAGE on the PS3.
    Topped off with Binary Domain before dozing off at 2:30am.... the lightweight that I am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Hi All,
    Looking for a bit of gaming retro advice. I have a Lenovo Alp top running Windows 8 - using it to play some MAME stuff at the moment with a USB connected PS3 non duleshock controller. Connection is a bit hit an mis with motioninjoy application i have. Any recommendations on a better piece of software to have a reliable avenue to connect the PS3 controller as my joystick of choice.

Looking to get into PSX, SNES, Mega Drive(to lesser extent), Neo Geo any recommendtaions on best emulators to work on windows?

Cheers
    Darren

• Advertisement

You really should not be using motioninjoy software on your PC. The software sends back information on your PC back to chinese servers, whatever they are using.

There's information about it here as well as a recommendation for drivers you should be using:

http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2011/08/ps3-sixaxis-on-x64-windows-pc.html

TBH your best bet is to get a wired 360 pad or better yet a 360 fightstick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Wireless 360 pad and wireless adapter on the pc works great for me.
    You can hook up pretty much any 360 pad or accessories to the pc, including the wireless headset if that's your sort of thing.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Wireless 360 pad and wireless adapter on the pc works great for me.
    You can hook up pretty much any 360 pad or accessories to the pc, including the wireless headset if that's your sort of thing.

Used it on Skype once before... the results were not pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Achilles wrote: »
    Used it on Skype once before... the results were not pretty.

Used an old PS2 eyetoy as a webcam on Skype at one point. It actually wasn't that bad once the rooms was bright enough.

Right but the mic that comes with the Xbox is pants. I used the older Xbox Vision camera as a webcam for a while and it's quite competent.

BrookieD wrote: »
    Any recommendations on a better piece of software to have a reliable avenue to connect the PS3 controller as my joystick of choice.

Have you thought about using a PS2 pad instead? They're virtually identical to PS3 ones apart from the cable, and I think the triggers are actually better and more responsive on them than the big spongey triggers on the PS3 pads. Anyway, the point is, you can get ps2 pad to USB adapters fairly cheap on shamazon or fleabay which make them connect to your PC.

Might be worth a shot.

Also, for SNES games on PC, i can recommend this bit of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Playing a lot of puzznic atm. Honestly you still get a great buzz when you clear a level.

It looks like nothing in that video but I think it's one of the best designed games I've ever played in terms of correctly tuning the increasing levels of difficulty.

Master of the Universe

Just to reiterate, anyone who hasn't played through Phantasy Star IV, do so now.

Test Drive - Ferrari Legends. The control input system feels 'off', there's about a 1/2 second lag or something at times which is a racing/sim type game...ruins it. Feels a lot more 'sim' like than Forza 4/Horizon, & as such the controller really needs to be replaced with a wheel.

Just to reiterate, anyone who hasn't played through Phantasy Star IV, do so now.

I agree. You noticing a lot of FFVII is there like I did?

• Advertisement
Advertisement