Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A new Test Drive game?
    Sounds interesting, might invest, single marque racers can be interesting and great, Outrun 2006, or interesting but flawed, Alfa Romeo SCAR and Mercedes with World Racer. However they are almost always interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    A new Test Drive game?
    Sounds interesting, might invest

I wouldn't go splashing any sort of double digit coin on this title man, it lacks polish. Wait for a used copy for €8 or something :)

Testdrive_ferrarilegends.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I dont know if its considered "Retro". Probably not in fairness as it was only one console ago but seen as my flat screen broke and I had an old CRT hooked up I thought I'd hook it up.

Time Crisis 2 for PS2. Just some great arcade action fun. Loved every second of it. Pity you cant get this series for the xbox. The only exclusive on the Playstation that I miss.

Also gave Devil May Cry a go. Didnt play this when it came out for some reason but picked it up recently for next to nothing second hand. Having started it last night I'll definately keep at it. Was at a spider boss last night fairly early on and I had to give up for the evening as it was annoying me too much. Hope all the bosses arent this tough. Other than that I like how theres not too much puzzle to it though just hack and slash. Fairly linear stuff which I quite like if I'm honest. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hope all the bosses arent this tough.

Spoiler: They get worse.

Tough. Tough but fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

Just installed the original command and conquer on my laptop to see if it still works. Clearing out my attic and found a load of pc games and my ps2 with about 30 games. Have all the MOHAA for pc, BF1942 and a star trek armada jobbie that's like command and conquer. Gonna have some fun over the weekend. Also found Simon the sourcer on floppy disk..WTF?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Spoiler: They get worse.

Tough. Tough but fair.

Ok looks like I wont be finishing it so. :(

I just dont have the patience for gaming that I once had not that I had much in the beginning to be fair.

Its a shame cause it does seem like a decent game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I agree. You noticing a lot of FFVII is there like I did?

Exactly this! Certain 'moments' (without wanting to ruin any surprises) are very very similar.

Not to mention the whole sci fi/fantasy look to the game.

Dare I say it, it's a better game than FF VII.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I get the feeling FFVII was a reaction to both Dragon Quest V and Phantasy Star 4. Both of those games absolutely wipe the floor with Squares output on the SNES in terms of storytelling. Squaresoft just didn't have the writers to pull off anything near as good and a lot of scenes in FFVII that emulate moments in those games come across as poor attempts to copy them. FFVII's rough development is a big factor as well.

I never thought Square would see Phantasy Star as a competitor since it was on the Megadrive which was hardly popular in Japan but they were obviously scoping the competition which I find interesting.

As for it being better than FFVII? It definitely is. It looks better, some of the monster pixel art in PS4 is glorious. The story is way better. The macros based battle system is wonderful compared to the ponderous battles of FFVII and there's a lot more strategy than FFVII which was way too easy. Soundtracks are about equivalent.

Now is it better than Chrono Trigger I think is the big question that is harder to answer.

Master of the Universe

Well for one, the battle system in PS IV is far better than Chrono Trigger. It really is a joy. I find myself being caught off guard by many random battles and really having to strategize to keep everyone alive. Chrono Trigger on the other hand can fall victim to just pressing 'attack' for everyone each turn.

As for storytelling, I'll come back to you when I'm finished the game :) So far though I'd put that well on par with Chrono Trigger. The anime cut scenes are really something else. A lot of the in battle monster sprites have me doing a duble take to make sure I'm still playing a MD game. They look amazing.

• Advertisement

Played a bit of Secret of Mana today with Sera. Such a great game especially in co-op. Then we played Panel de Pon on the SNES in vs. It's one of the very best puzzle games. Sera absolutely thrashed me :(

I'm playing SMW2 Yoshi's island and Megaman X at the moment on SNES, as part of my quest to play all of the games i missed back then because i was po.

Megaman X is still brilliant, if a little samey in terms of the gameplay, but looks like there's plenty of scope in it for character/abilities progression. I'm determined to finish it, which I've never done.

Yoshi's island is just sheer class though. It's sucking me in.

I started it last night thinking, "ha, ok quirky but interesting, should kill some time", and then i couldn't put it down. The levels are really well designed, and the new mechanics take some getting used to but really work once you get your head around them. It's the first game i've seen on SNES with an auto save feature as well, it saves your progress automatically after each level. That must've been a first for it's time.

I also played chrono trigger for a bit, and while pure RPGs aren't really my thing, it's clear that it was way ahead of it's time on the SNES. Very pretty and well though out game. Also i love anything to do with time travel, so I'm interested to see where it goes.

I also realized while playing CT how the inclusion of a user manual for games is virtually an irrelevance nowadays (given the ubiquitous stage 1 "training wheels" level in most modern games) but back then it was an essential inclusion to the more complex games. Often, you HAD to have read it to have a clue what was going on in-game, just because of the limitations of the 8bit and 16bit era storage media versus the massive scope and ambition of some of the games.

I remember i used to regularly read the manual on the bus trip back home from the game shop when I'd just bought a new game, so I'd have a clue what was going on when i got home and powered it on. Nowadays you'd expect to be just spoon fed the info in-game, or else you'd just pull the interweb out of your pocket and google it.

Ah, the 90's. Those were simpler times. We were poor, but feckit, we were happy!:D

Finished Phantasy Star 3 last night.

It's got some very interesting mechanics spoiled by disappointing execution and an interesting story also spoiled by lack of exposition. There's some real untapped potential in this game. I did enjoy the game and the dungeons were thankfully a whole lot less confusing than the ones in Phantasy Star 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

an interesting story also spoiled by lack of exposition.

That is a very, very unusual complaint to make about anything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

You really should not be using motioninjoy software on your PC. The software sends back information on your PC back to chinese servers, whatever they are using.

There's information about it here as well as a recommendation for drivers you should be using:

http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2011/08/ps3-sixaxis-on-x64-windows-pc.html

TBH your best bet is to get a wired 360 pad or better yet a 360 fightstick.

What that guy is seeing is the adware built in to the program , not the freaking chinese launching an attack on his pc .Having said that it can cause problems if you're using the bluetooth for other devices later.I've 2 euro Bluetooth dongle pretty much given over to it.
    F£$king HATE the 360 controller , so its I'm happy enough with a dualshock 3 (and tbh most of the time I just use an original Dualshock with ps2/usb adaptor)

That is a very, very unusual complaint to make about anything.

I know :) Sometimes it can be taken to ridiculous levels such as what Squenix sometimes does or MGS4. There's always the problem that with too much exposition that you'll end up with something like Sword of Mana where the characters discuss for 15 minutes whether the main antagonist is evil or not, an antagonist who is called 'Dark Lord'.

Phantasy Star 3 on the other hand has a really interesting premise, a story taking place over 3 generations, and a really interesting setting, the reveal of what the world actually is and how it finally links with the phantasy star universe are very good. The problem is so much more could have been done with it. All the characters are complete blank slates with no personality, with a game taking place over 3 generations it would have help if you could get attached to these characters.

Also despite the interesting setting there was so much more they could have done with it. Towns all look the same and are barely populated, it's hard to get a feel for the world and a sense of place.

Thankfully Phantasy Star 4 gets the balance perfect and is a wonderful game for it. It's a shame that more wasn't done with PS3, Dragon Quest V came out afterwards with the generation mechanic and had a lot more exposition and it ended up being one of the most endearing and emotional RPGs of the 16-bit era. It's a glimpse of what could have been.

Phantasy Star 2 suffered as well from lack of exposition but a lot of that was down to translation issues. It still managed to create a wonderful world of despair where people have become so dependent of mother brain that they can't act for themselves. You get a lot more attached to your characters as well despite the minute amounts of dialogue and it's got that absolutely cracking ending.

• Advertisement

Started Phantasy Star 4 again, this time I'll finish it. It's interesting going back to it, even 15 minutes in there's loads of call backs to Phantasy Star 2 which is even more depressing when you consider how phantasy star 2 ended and what it meant.

Master of the Universe

You didn't finish it the last time? :eek:

I've been away from it for a week and a half. Keep itching to go back, but real life work related things keep eating up all my time :(

I think I'll dedicate Saturday and Sunday to it 100%.

/Edit - oh by the way, I assume of of these previous civilizations they keep going on about in IV are from one of the previous games? I had a niggling that was going on.

I'm OCD about finishing games in order in a series that linked so when I got sidetracked I decided to beat the games in order, even though you can play PS4 and enjoy it without having played the rest of the series. The previous civilisation they talk about is the Phantasy Star 1-2 civilisation and the 'Collapse' they talk about is a direct result of the events of phantasy star 2. I love what they did to Motovia. It was a desert in the first game which was terraformed to a lush verdant green planet in PS2 and by PS4 it's in the process of becoming a desert again, it's really nice touches like that that make me love the game even more now. They even manage to reference PS3 in a really cool optional dungeon that was lost on me before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Don't tell anyone but I am playing Halo: Anniversary Edition, I got it a year ago but never really played it, but getting through it now... Never remember being quite so irritated with the Library before, all the succession of exactly the same room, again and again and again, within the Halo's substructure

Master of the Universe

I'm OCD about finishing games in order in a series that linked so when I got sidetracked I decided to beat the games in order, even though you can play PS4 and enjoy it without having played the rest of the series. The previous civilisation they talk about is the Phantasy Star 1-2 civilisation and the 'Collapse' they talk about is a direct result of the events of phantasy star 2. I love what they did to Motovia. It was a desert in the first game which was terraformed to a lush verdant green planet in PS2 and by PS4 it's in the process of becoming a desert again, it's really nice touches like that that make me love the game even more now. They even manage to reference PS3 in a really cool optional dungeon that was lost on me before.

Thanks! That was a really interesting read. You really did do the right thing by going back and starting from the beginning. I wish I had the time to do the same.
    Don't tell anyone but I am playing Halo: Anniversary Edition, I got it a year ago but never really played it, but getting through it now... Never remember being quite so irritated with the Library before, all the succession of exactly the same room, again and again and again, within the Halo's substructure

Remind me to bring Halo 4 on Friday. It's bringing down the tone of my whole house, I need to get rid of it fast. The neighbours are beginning to talk.

• Advertisement

rcg.jpg

o1s1n wrote: »
    Thanks! That was a really interesting read. You really did do the right thing by going back and starting from the beginning. I wish I had the time to do the same.

Well the older games really weren't easy to get through. They are very old school with a huge difficulty to scale and lack the exposition that could really bring alive their interesting stories. You'll also need graph paper or a walkthrough for the first two games dungeons, hell PS2 came with a walkthrough! PS4 is the only one really that feels modern and hasn't aged a bit.

If you do want to go back to them then you are probably better off getting the Phantasy Star Generations games, they are remakes for the PS2 of the first 2 games. They never got a western release but a fan translation of the first game has been released recently and hopefully they'll do the same with the second one. They make the gameplay more modern and less of a slog and add extra exposition to the characters and story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I am addicted to Dynablaster at the moment. Game type B not A though.
    Cannot get into the main game at all, as it so slow and takes so long to unlock the speed up panel. When I did unlock it, I bought 5 or 6 and used them all at once and got killed because I was too fast. I stupidly rage quit, so easily done on the gameboy, and since haven't had the patience to unlock it again.
    So game type B has been getting the attention. It was easily one of my favourite games of the early 90s and I can see why. The music is so catchy and the gameplay is addictive. Looks good for a gameboy title as well and is quite fast when availing of the speed up panels. It's as good as Bomberman on the snes.
    Wario Blast is a big pile of yellow snow in comparison.

I had a blast of Gradius on the TG-16, Wow!
    Pretty great stuff and makes the Nes edition look like old grey underpants (unwashed).
    Gradius II meant the Fami upped it's game but the original on the TG-16/PC Engine is something else.

Played some phantasy star online on a hacked server last night. Was a lot of fun. Even more fun when I figured out how to actually activate the episode 1 story quests so I wasn't getting my ass handed to me all the time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Have just yesterday evening started Ocarina Of Time on the 3DS which in some ways is retro gaming.

Never played it before so looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about. after an hour and a bit it's good, Looks great on my 3DSXL and the 3D effect is well used.

Maybe I'm spoiled after playing some current Gen stuff over the last few months but the controls do feel a little wooly and the story a little clunkily handled but its Zelda and I don't really want to put it down!

Maybe I'm spoiled after playing some current Gen stuff over the last few months but the controls do feel a little wooly and the story a little clunkily handled but its Zelda and I don't really want to put it down!

Because modern gen stuff is so good at telling stories? :D Stick with it man, its a very rewarding game :)

EnterNow wrote: »
    Because modern gen stuff is so good at telling stories? :D Stick with it man, its a very rewarding game :)

Controlable cameras and super sharp controls was more what I was thinking:D

The story has been a bit briefer than I was expecting, but got the basics across, I'll be sticking with it for sure, am headed off to meet the Gorons this evening :p

Controlable cameras and super sharp controls was more what I was thinking:D

No you wont get that in an N64 era game, but it shows up modern gen stuff on other ways...believe me. I think you do have to be a Zelda fan to really appreciate it though, its fairly simplistic in a lot of ways

OoT like all zelda's since starts off very very slow which a lot of people forget about. When I played it for the first time on the Gamecube I was wondering what the big deal about the game was but a few hours into it it clicks. I think it was the forest temple that did it. In usual nintendo fashion they didn't just make a zelda in 3D they did something that could only be done with 3D with OoT and the forest temple was the first time I noticed it.

• Advertisement

OoT like all zelda's since starts off very very slow which a lot of people forget about

It does, & it can seem very child-like until you get two or three dungeons outta the way. I played through it again last year on the 3DS, & found it started slow, but matured rapidly into a game that really feels different to any other Zelda game.

Have fun in the water temple :p Though admittedly I blitzed through it & found it nowhere near as hard as is generally made out to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I actually just started OoT on the Gamecube, via the bonus disc from the Wind Waker. Having just finished WW, I fancied diving straight into another, and didn't quite fancy the second quest just yet, but I keep toggling the C-stick, expecting the free-camera, and end up draining half my inventory, because I'm a div for habit.

It's been ages since I've played OoT in any form, so in contrast to the above, I'm surprised at how quickly you're into it, I was expecting a lot more fiddling about for some reason, since it's over a decade since I played any significant amount of the thing.

I'm on the snoop for a GCN copy of Twilight Princess, for reasons too pedantic and contrarian to even bother expanding upon. Problem, even when it pops up on Adverts, Gumtree et al, regardless of the premium, it's gone as quick as it appeared. CeX had a copy on the go a while ago, for €45, that I'd halfway marked, but it was seemingly snapped up pretty sharpish.

WOWHD finally got around to delivering Sonic Colours, so I'll be dropping into that one soon.

I've, more or less, cleared my backlog for the year, so it's cool being back on the market, so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Daith

OoT like all zelda's since starts off very very slow which a lot of people forget about.

God yeah. In comparison, aLTTP has you out in the rain, injured uncles, boomerangs, chainball weilding badguys, rescuing Zelda all before the later installments tell you how to use Z/L/Whatever targeting.

Also playing Super Metroid and Secret of Mana. In SoM the first tiger boss is a right pain when he can cast magic and you cant.

Daith wrote: »
    God yeah. In comparison, aLTTP has you out in the rain, injured uncles, boomerangs, chainball weilding badguys, rescuing Zelda all before the later installments tell you how to use Z/L/Whatever targeting.

That is true :D LttP is the near pinnacle of 16bit gaming though :D

Btw, I'm fugging loving Earthbound

No you wont get that in an N64 era game, but it shows up modern gen stuff on other ways...believe me. I think you do have to be a Zelda fan to really appreciate it though, its fairly simplistic in a lot of ways

I'm a big Zelda fan although I've always preferred the 2D ones. Really looking forward to getting my teeth into this one though.

Speaking of Earthbound, please postman, hurry up with my chip!
    Mother 2 is just sitting here, waiting for you!
    Then, a quick holiday in EnterNow's house and we're off!

Master of the Universe

Speaking of Earthbound, please postman, hurry up with my chip!
    Mother 2 is just sitting here, waiting for you!
    Then, a quick holiday in EnterNow's house and we're off!

The great Tsop adapter race - we both ordered them at the same time. Who will win?!

So it's taken nearly 20 years but I finally did it, I beat Revenge of Shinobi. I booted it up last night for a quick game and was playing the game of my life so decided to see how far I could get. I thought I would have trouble when I reached the last stage because of that god damned maze but I somehow managed to recall the correct path through from my memory. Then I faced my ultimate stumbling block the man with the lethal hair, Neo Zeed. Took me 5 lives to get a pattern but once I got that down I started making some real progress. Then on my last life and continue I finally beat the game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So it's taken nearly 20 years but I finally did it, I beat Revenge of Shinobi. I booted it up last night for a quick game and was playing the game of my life so decided to see how far I could get. I thought I would have trouble when I reached the last stage because of that god damned maze but I somehow managed to recall the correct path through from my memory. Then I faced my ultimate stumbling block the man with the lethal hair, Neo Zeed. Took me 5 lives to get a pattern but once I got that down I started making some real progress. Then on my last life and continue I finally beat the game!

goldenjoy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

fyeah.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Btw, I'm fugging loving Earthbound

I can't play mine until after Christmas. :(

So I got my Neo Geo Pocket Colour yesterday in the post. Its in mint condition, with the box and spare watch battery still in its wrapper. Mad really. So I better keep it all nice and mint now incase I ever want to sell it on, who knows... doubt it though.

Checked it worked ok and then wife grabbed it and wrapped it for my xmas present as we had agreed!! Doh!

In fairness I have loads of other stuff to keep me occupied till then (I'm looking at you Halo 4, damn you and your addictive nature!!) and if I'm honest I'm kinda happy about it as it'll be a fantastic xmas day gift to play.

Anyway I'll post up picks around xmas of my new NGPC... cant believe I finally own something from Neo Geo. :D

Roll on xmas!!

In fairness I have loads of other stuff to keep me occupied till then (I'm looking at you Halo 4, damn you and your addictive nature!!)

3pud6u.jpg

In my defence I'm currently playing Mario 3 on DS as well so its not all Halo 4.

On a side note Mario 3 is tough boss wise, getting past the sky boat thing before the boss wrecks my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Playing Garou Mark of the Wolves.

Wouldn't be too familiar with any of the Neo Geo series of fighting games but really impressed with this.

Master of the Universe

Have you noticed the song Children by Robert Miles in it yet? One of my biggest 'WTF' moments in gaming :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Is this another case of videogame producers 'paying homage' or did they actually have the rights to do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

o1s1n wrote: »
    Have you noticed the song Children by Robert Miles in it yet? One of my biggest 'WTF' moments in gaming :D

Even on low volume as the baby was asleep I spotted it almost instantly. WTF indeed!

Oisin, have you played many of the Fatal Fury games. How does this rate?

Garou: Mark of the Wolves is up there with Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike as one of the best fighting games ever made.

It plays an awful lot different to the other fatal fury games, it's closer to King of Fighters than anything. If you like the SNK style of gameplay then check out KoF 96, 97 and XIII, Samurai Shodown 2, Last Blade 2, Real Bout Fatal Fury.

• Advertisement
Advertisement