Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Even on low volume as the baby was asleep I spotted it almost instantly. WTF indeed!

Oisin, have you played many of the Fatal Fury games. How does this rate?

Apparantly the sound designer (cant remember his name) was a big Robert Miles fan. It's another one of those cases where a Janapese designer rips off a western song and nobody really notices until the internet comes along :pac:

The Fatal Fury games I'm not really that into. They're nowhere in the same league as GMOTW, Samurai Showdown 2 and The Last Blade 1&2.

I remember one of them has really slick animation though, think it's Fatal Fury 3?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    I remember one of them has really slick animation though, think it's Fatal Fury 3?

Might be Art of Fighting 3 you are thinking of, that game looks incredible.

I...On a side note Mario 3 is tough boss wise, getting past the sky boat thing before the boss wrecks my head.

Don't know how anyone else feels about that level, but to me it's the toughest one in the game. A handful of times i've whizzed through it on one life, but more often than not i just die over and over. Once you die and lose your racoon tail you're f*ck*d, it's a lot harder with no floaty, forgiving jumps. Those moles chucking spanners are a right pain in the arse...

My fave plan is to make sure to have a p-wing in the inventory and keep it specially for that level, and just fly over the whole thing.

Cheating FTW!! :D

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Might be Art of Fighting 3 you are thinking of, that game looks incredible.

That's it! I have an AOF 3 MVS cart somewhere but haven't played it in ages. From what I remember, the sprites were huge and stupidly fluid for the Neo Geo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Right so. Locate a the moves list and tap some more Mark of the Wolves tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

So I decided to give halo 4 a rest and get back to retro for the evening.
    I remembered I'd bought the sega megadrive collection for xbox so went with Sonic 1. I completed it with a helping hand from the save feature if I'm honest.
    As I've said before 90's games were not easy.
    Looking forward to going through golden axe, shinobi and streets of rage!
    Sonic 2 first though were he can spin on demand unlike sonic 1, which did bug me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Tried to play some current gen games, specifically Rage, fup me but I was bored....
    It's just the same mechanic, again and again, with some fancy graphics, rinse and repeat....
    Plus the addition of monster closets and stupid bloody disguised doors that wait until a preordained number of enemies are dispatched before opening....
    And it's such a nice looking game, why did they forget the gameplay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And it's such a nice looking game, why did they forget the gameplay?

It's pretty commonplace these days, especially among some of the bigger companies. By the time the devs have gotten their orders from the publisher, had it repeatedly battered that they've pretty much to start fresh a few times, and woof! Dev window is gone by the time they've reach an agreement on concepts and art-direction, so they've to make a game in a tenth the amount of time required. Enter padding and nonsensical notions.

I find this most prevalent in a lot of Activision's dev-farming, where it springs some license on a struggling dev it's enveloped, sees what they can do with it, once suitably impressed with the initial results, it then turns around tells them to finish in such a space of time that you may as well give up on maintaining relationships for the next three months.

I'm going to stop there before I fully sound like a deeply embittered Kotick-basher. Too late, you say?

Mind, I dunno what Rage's excuse is, considering it was supposed to be ID's big comeback.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Gauntlet....all of them.
    more youtube channel madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Gauntlet....all of them.
    more youtube channel madness.

Had the multi pack on the Commadore 64. 14 hours I spent playing Gauntlet 2 one time and still never got near the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Spent the whole day on Sunday playing Metal Slug on PS with my son.
    He loved it, kept commenting on how it looked.

Master of the Universe

pdbhp wrote: »
    Spent the whole day on Sunday playing Metal Slug on PS with my son.
    He loved it, kept commenting on how it looked.

Well done, you now know you have suceeded as a parent :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My young fella is now on the end boss in Kameo, and watching him play it, the game looks amazing, and it's a 360 launch title!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finished Catrap today. It's an excellent puzzler that gets seriously difficult later on.

Also reached the 5th Stratum of Etrian Odyssey and the story has gotten very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

'Cleared' Forza 4. Between that & Horizon I think I need a break from racing games.

Birds of Steel is up next for the 360, gotta save Blighty & stop the Gerries crossing the channel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Just starting GOW3 and The Witcher, FF III is the only bit of retro going on at the moment apart for getting humiliated by the games on the 60-in-1 board over and over...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Chelnov on the MD.

Great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

My young fella is now on the end boss in Kameo, and watching him play it, the game looks amazing, and it's a 360 launch title!

Kameo was great. Could never understand why it wasn't popular. Really seems like the last of Rare's magic was put into it and it sadly also seemed to mean the end of platform games as everything was FPS from then on with the 360.

Of course is was originally supposed to be a Gamecube title.

As far as I recall it was too easy and too short.

It's a bit like Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion. People complained that they were too easy and short as well while in today's terms they seem like epics. I guess people were expecting a Banjo Kazooie rip off from Kameo with a similarly massive game time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

How do the original Banjo games hold up? I've been curious about'em for ages, but from every snippet of gameplay I've seen, it just seems to be a lot of trekking and collecting.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    How do the original Banjo games hold up? I've been curious about'em for ages, but from every snippet of gameplay I've seen, it just seems to be a lot of trekking and collecting.

The first banjo is pretty good. Some poorly designed levels later on spoil things a bit but it's worth playing through. It definitely isn't the Mario 64 beater some people claim and the overly cute art and aesthetic is really poor. And yes tit is a major collectathon and the challenges to collect all 100 musical notes on a stage can **** right off. Even Mario 64 gave you a margin of error.

Banjo Tooie on the other hand was Rare at it's absolute collectathon worse. It looks fantastic but basically you are collecting a ridiculous amount of old macguffins and trinkets. It's not a bad game but it's not fun more times than it is. It's no where near as bad as Donkey Kong 64 which is a piece of ****.

I just finished the final boss of Etrian Odyssey. What a wonderful game. If anyone is interested in a dungeon crawler like Wizardry or even Dungeon Master or Grimrock then they should definitely check this series out. Now to find out how managable the secret stratum is!

It's a pity Rare were indulged to such a great extent with the collect'em ups instead of Nintendo encouraging more of the genius that was Blast Corp.
    Even if Rare wanted more third person adventure titles better to look for more packed with action like Jet Force Gemini rather than slapping some googly eyes on an anthropomorphic animal and sending you into slap dash levels with frantic "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" approaches to game play.
    Kameo was probably the time after Banjo that they got it right.

Have to take a break from Earthbound...cider {the drink} needs to be consumed & snowballs {the confectionary} need to be eaten. Clarification was provided for the usual reasons :D

Btw, Earthound rocks...hard {plays extremely well}

Fatal fury seems to have a bit of lag or something, pity cause I like the game otherwise.
    Gals fighter is really good fun. Took up most of today's playing time.
    Sonic adventure got a 5 min go today, looks and sounds sonicy. I like.
    Metal slug looks and sounds great again like sonic haven't played a lot of it but looking forward to it.
    Crush roller is addictive.
    Haven't had a chance to play card fighters yet. Heard good things about it though.
    So all in all the ngpc is goin great.
    Should have bought this years ago!!!
    Seriously lovin the overall feel and controls of this console.

• Advertisement

Fatal fury seems to have a bit of lag or something, pity cause I like the game otherwise.
    Gals fighter is really good fun. Took up most of today's playing time.
    Sonic adventure got a 5 min go today, looks and sounds sonicy. I like.
    Metal slug looks and sounds great again like sonic haven't played a lot of it but looking forward to it.
    Crush roller is addictive.
    Haven't had a chance to play card fighters yet. Heard good things about it though.
    So all in all the ngpc is goin great.
    Should have bought this years ago!!!
    Seriously lovin the overall feel and controls of this console.

Last Blade is solid on it too, and there's an Snk v Capcom fighting title that also rocks.
    It is, indeed, a cracking little console.

Last Blade is solid on it too, and there's an Snk v Capcom fighting title that also rocks.
    It is, indeed, a cracking little console.

They are two games I'll be getting very soon alright.

SNK v Capcom in particular looks deadly on the YouTube clips I've seen.

Burning fight on psp snk arcade classics. First time playin it. Streets of rage type game. Love the bosses and the fat gay bloke who runs randomly at you with arms waving. So so funny.

During a train trip from Sligo to civilisation I got reacquainted with a few good games on the 3ds, OoT and Pacman & Galaga got a work out, and then an hour of the brilliant Retrogame Challenge.
    I was going through my carts and there's a vast array of barely touched games, from Kid Icarus Uprising to Chibi Robo,Sir Henry Hatsworth to Cave Story 3d, must rectify this situation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭Daith

Finished FF6 for the first time in about 10 years. Great game and I love the music. I'm kinda itching to play FF7 or 9 now.

I still have 800 points on the Virtual Console. Are the Phantasy Star games good? Never had a Sega console.

• Advertisement

Daith wrote: »
    Finished FF6 for the first time in about 10 years. Great game and I love the music. I'm kinda itching to play FF7 or 9 now.

I still have 800 points on the Virtual Console. Are the Phantasy Star games good? Never had a Sega console.

1-3 have dated very poorly. I still like them but they are a very acquired taste. They are very grindy, lack story exposition, require graph paper to map the dungeons and are bastard hard.

Phantasy Star 4 however is a masterpiece. They really modernised the game with that one.

Just finished Eco Fighters on psp capcom classics using roughly a thousand continues. Cool game but that would be impossible without the infinite credits.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Started playing Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii for a few hours yesterday. Literally had a few fights with the local wildlife and ran down to that first Colony place and did a few side quests. Quite like it so far. Combat system seems a bit more interactive than turn based guff, reminds me of WoW a little bit.

Retr0 - any game tips for me? I can see from your blog you've finished the main quest. Do the side quest solutions always appear on the map as red exclamation marks?

You're in for a very long game but sick with it, the story gets spectacularly good towards the end.

It depends on the side quest really. Different people offer different side quests depending on the time of day and you'll only see them if you get close to them.

My advice is to accept every sidequest going, there's no penalty for taking on too many or not completing them and you end up completing a lot of them just wandering around.

I suggest you fully explore every area so you can level up enough for the bosses without having to grind. Focus on the sidequests that reward EXP and finding landmarks, it's the quickest way to level up and more efficient than combat. If you are having trouble with a boss do some EXP sidequests, Xenoblade is a game where were 2-3 extra levels mean the difference between a near impossible fight and an easy win. Also don't be afraid to run away from high level enemies, you can't take them on or even damage them unless your levels are quite similar.

Cheers. Great looking game, love the theme tune too. Playing it with the Classic Controller Pro which is pretty nifty actually. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be any motion control crap in the game so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Coincidentally I was playing this in my cab yesterday on the 161 in 1 cart.

I too think it is chronic slow. I couldn't believe it. Almost unplayable.

Plus one special move landing wipes out over half energy.

I presume it was released after sf2 given all the homages/copying

Master of the Universe

Ah!!!!!

So I needed to level up my characters to get by a certain boss in Phantasy Star IV. Just spent the last couple of hours running through random battles going from level 22 to 26.

Anyway, finally got up to level 26 and a skill I really needed...went to set up the macros and the game froze.

Not once has this game ever frozen. Not once! wtf???

Master of the Universe

Okay so I retried that boss but on level 24 and beat him with ease. Crisis averted!

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Started playing Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii for a few hours yesterday. Literally had a few fights with the local wildlife and ran down to that first Colony place and did a few side quests. Quite like it so far. Combat system seems a bit more interactive than turn based guff, reminds me of WoW a little bit.

Retr0 - any game tips for me? I can see from your blog you've finished the main quest. Do the side quest solutions always appear on the map as red exclamation marks?

The reason I had a Phantasy Star IV day today was you reminded me I still have to go back and play Xenoblade. I've been meaning to go back to that game for months.

Gotta get Though PS IV first though. Think I'm about 3/4 of the way there...

Xenoblade is great though isnt it? I think the reason I stopped playing was because I got stuck on some boss where you have to build up your attach in a rhythm and I just couldn't get it.

I'm sure the law of 'getting stuck on a game, then going back months later and passing it on your first attempt' will get me through :)

Just do a few sidequests for xp or look for landmarks. The difference a level or two makes in Xenoblade is crazy.

• Advertisement

Played a bit more of XC yesterday, mainly side quests and beating up the local fauna. :D The quests are great for bumping up the XP alright. Just opened up Arts and Skills too, a lot to this game but will try stick with it. Got my nuts handed to me by a unique monster who was 2 levels below me, have leveled up since then so might go back and see how I get on.

The little fella has expressed an interest in the Scribblenauts games...the first one and the sequel for the Ds are on play for about €12 each or so are they worth it at all?

They're great little games, Gamestop has them for about a tenner preowned, I got Super Scribblenauts there for that sort of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

EnterNow wrote: »
    The little fella has expressed an interest in the Scribblenauts games...the first one and the sequel for the Ds are on play for about €12 each or so are they worth it at all?

DS18F.jpg

Worth it, I think.

bIZAH.jpg

They're great little games, Gamestop has them for about a tenner preowned, I got Super Scribblenauts there for that sort of money.

Cool, will pick them up new then if I can cheers

€13 for the original - http://www.play.com/Games/DS/4-/9783578/Scribblenauts/Product.html?searchstring=scribblenauts&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search
    €12.50 for the sequel http://www.play.com/Games/DS/4-/15012813/Super-Scribblenauts/Product.html?searchstring=scribblenauts&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

Free delivery too so that seems decent enough? I think there's a new one headed our way soon for the Wii U/Steam

Super Scribblenauts Unlimited I believe, already out in the US, reviews are 7/10 or so, but for fans its probably a must have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Zelda Minish Cap. Very enjoyable little game.

I got so far and got stuck a couple of years ago, never went back, but then that's the story with LttP, LA, OoT, OoS and so on :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I have in fairness cheated a good few times and looked at walkthroughs.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I got so far and got stuck a couple of years ago, never went back, but then that's the story with LttP, LA, OoT, OoS and so on :(

You never finished ALTTP?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Advertisement