Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Alter Egotist

Currently playing Super Mario Bros. Rebirth on the NES. Can't beat a bit of the fat Plummer.

Currently playing Super Mario Bros. Rebirth on the NES. Can't beat a bit of the fat Plummer.

Nice. Am playing through Super Mario Bros 3 at the moment, without using warp whistles. Am looking to get as many of the secrets, coin ships, white mushroom houses and the like as possible, and save up a few p-wings for that damn airship level in world 8 :mad:

It's still my fave Mario. It just shades it over Super Mario World, just by a hair.

Speaking of hacks, i think i'm gonna have a go at The legend of Zelda: Goddess of Wisdom after i'm finished Mario 3. Am looking forward to it. A whole new 16 bit Zelda game. Woot! It's just like being a kid again. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,266 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just finished Phantasy Star IV there myself. (You were right, equipping Raja and you make mince meat of the end boss)

Lovely ending. Those anime comic type panels really brought a lot of emotion to the whole game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can just about find the time to play Super Hexagon!
    Most of my gaming time today was spent wrestling with the cab, they are a real time sink aren't they!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I can just about find the time to play Super Hexagon!
    Most of my gaming time today was spent wrestling with the cab, they are a real time sink aren't they!

Any luck with the G-Net issues ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No, something odd there, gave sound via Supergun but not through the cab.
    I can pull sound off of the GNet pcb but I really shouldn't have to, it should be all coming through the Jamma harness.
    Never had these problems with my Megadrive or Snes, maybe with the NES!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Just dusted of Psychonauts for the first time. I went into the last level, The Meat Circus, having heard and read a wealth of info about it, mostly referencing as the point it ceases to be a fun game, and ends up flat-out broken, but I found it grand enough. Granted, you've to sacrifice a couple of shots to memorizing the series of courses, and there's an instance or two where it's not clear where the next obstacle may lay, or that the camera works against you, but I found'em relatively minor, and not too impactful on the enjoyment of the platforming gauntlet.

I also seen a lot of rage at the fact you're being shot at, while trying to navigate tightropes and trapezes, but you can only give those complaints so much stock before you find yourself bellowing 'YOU'VE GOT AN INVISIBILITY POWER'.

Brilliant yarn and good game, all in all. Disappointed there's no post-game, but hey, whachagonnado?

Imagine I'll be moving onto The Cave this evening.

Downloaded that myself last night, had a fiver in my account so popped another tenner into my fund and invested in The Cave. Fingers crossed it doesn't suck, or rather that I don't suck at it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Is that the new game by Ron Gilbert? Seen it advertised on Steam, looks interesting.

Psychonauts is a classic,
    every one should play through it at least once!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Is that the new game by Ron Gilbert? Seen it advertised on Steam, looks interesting.

It is. The other-half and I took a run through the demo last night, as the Paypal's taking a bit to top up, but the co-op seems to be good fun, and the humour, as ever, is top form. Props to the narrator, and his job trying to convince you to buy the game once you've cleared the trial.

Mind, my PS3 is freezing and stuttering like a mad yolk, so I hope I get through it before the inevitable YLOD. My last YLOD came as a result of playing though a PS2 game on the PS3, so at least the thing is consistent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mass Effect 3.

Remember how some people complained about JRPGs with 3-4 discs meaning halfway through the game you had to get up off your arse to swap the disc? I've no problems with that.

Mass Effect 3 on the other hand takes things to new levels of bull****. Want to do a side quest for 5 minutes? Insert disc 2, now you won't be able to hear any sound effects over the drives whirring. Complete mission, go to new mission, Please insert disc 1. What absolute ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Mass Effect 3.

Remember how some people complained about JRPGs with 3-4 discs meaning halfway through the game you had to get up off your arse to swap the disc? I've no problems with that.

Mass Effect 3 on the other hand takes things to new levels of bull****. Want to do a side quest for 5 minutes? Insert disc 2, now you won't be able to hear any sound effects over the drives whirring. Complete mission, go to new mission, Please insert disc 1. What absolute ****.

Mass Effect 2 was the same, I think a mission/quest list was available that showed what missions were on what disc to help you avoid swapping..

Assume the PS3 version fits on a single disc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mass Effect 2 was the same, I think a mission/quest list was available that showed what missions were on what disc to help you avoid swapping..

Assume the PS3 version fits on a single disc.

Yes it was but I only had to swap the disc once in that case. At the disc swap if there's misions from disc one you haven't completed then you'll have to swap. Mass Effect 3 on the other hand takes it to a whole new level. The very first side mission in the game (and first mission I took) required me to do a disc swap.

Master of the Universe

So I'm playing Under Defeat HD at the moment.

Pros - really does look lovely. The arcade version looks nice as is, but I really like the HD update. I'm enjoying it. For 16 euro it was worth it :D

Cons - where to begin.

The new HD mode looks great as above, but has many issues. For one, it is stuck to horizontal wide screen mode. Not only can it not rotate, it's not displaying the game properly.

There are two major problems with this.

The first. Under Defeat has some really fast moving bullets. This is designed for the original arcade vertical/black bars on each side long display. You need some lead time to see the bullets and avoid them.

With the wide screen mode, they come out of nowhere and kill you.

Secondly, because there's extra side screen space, I've noticed that enemy helicopters come in much earlier and fire earlier. They also seem to be harder to hit because you can't angle your heli to shoot out into that part of the screen. By adding extra screen space on each side they've increased your blind spot.

Then they did something really shocking, they changed the music! :mad:

The original music was absolutely great. I couldn't believe there was different music when I selected the new mode. :(

Basically, these special edition box sets need **** loads of options. Want to play the new HD mode? sure! You can also display the screen as originally as intended. And play the original soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭badger57

Predator 2 on the Sega Mega Drive. Difficult enough game!

Master of the Universe

badger57 wrote: »
    Predator 2 on the Sega Mega Drive. Difficult enough game!

One of the first games I ever completed when I was 8 or 9. Can't be that difficult! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Dusted off the C64 tonight for one reason.

Blue Max
    http://youtu.be/FGnC673GOF4

Only game I'm half decent at and the counter only has to go to 24.

Quick load by c64 standards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

eddhorse wrote: »

Blue Max

Only game I'm half decent at and the counter only has to go to 24.

Is that based on the 1966 movie?

If family legend is right the house my father grew up in is in that movie as it was shot around ireland, Kildare in particular. Apparently George Peppard used to drink in the local pub as did a lot of the crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Steve SI wrote: »

If family legend is right the house my father grew up in is in that movie as it was shot around ireland, Kildare in particular. Apparently George Peppard used to drink in the local pub as did a lot of the crew.

Hey Steve, any chance you could post a link to where you got those snes box protectors?

Hardly these?
    http://www.videogameboxprotectors.com/#/store/4569532134

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Hey Steve, any chance you could post a link to where you got those snes box protectors?

Hardly these?
    http://www.videogameboxprotectors.com/#/store/4569532134

http://www.sentinel64.com/products/4561502896

Through the haze of my homemade 95% 190 proof hooch I found the link.

The more cases you buy from them the cheaper it works out per case.
    Keithgeo got a bunch of them as well and I think he was as happy as I was with the quality.
    Once you buy 10 plus of them I think your paying just over £1 sterling for each one with free UK delivery (Parcel Motel will help here).

Steve SI wrote: »

I love that movie, very underrated,

IMDB :
    "The Irish Air Corps also lent their facilities at Casement Aerodrome (Baldonnel) to filming, however after filming, many of the aircraft replicas remained in storage between Casement and Powerscourt House, County Wicklow until the 1980's and were to be seen flying occasionally in the area.

Locations :
    Dublin, Co. Dublin.
    The Viaduct Fermoy Co. Cork.
    Weston Aerodome, Leixlip, Co. Kildare.
    Wicklow Town, Co. Wicklow.

I didn't get very far in the game after, need more practice.

Ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Zelda: The Minish Cap on GBA, fun little game, had it years ago

krudler wrote: »
    Zelda: The Minish Cap on GBA, fun little game, had it years ago
    One of the few games I've ever completed.
    One if the few games I had for the GameBoy !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Mass Effect 3.

Mass Effect 3 on the other hand takes things to new levels of bull****. Want to do a side quest for 5 minutes? Insert disc 2, now you won't be able to hear any sound effects nover the drives whirring. Complete mission, go to new mission, Please insert disc 1. What absolute ****.
    Modern rpgs on consoles..LOL.
    Wait for it to be a fiver on steam, no disk swapping..hell, no disk!

• Advertisement

Blue Max

Only game I'm half decent at and the counter only has to go to 24.b

Loved the Atari 8 bit version had it on cart.
    Oh and predator 2 , the meg version anyway isnt too hard , did a few playthroughs for the youtube channel(link below) and ended up on the pred ship pretty quickly. Controls are terrible though.

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Loved the Atari 8 bit version had it on cart.
    Oh and predator 2 , the meg version anyway isnt too hard , did a few playthroughs for the youtube channel(link below) and ended up on the pred ship pretty quickly. Controls are terrible though.

Sorry cant see your signature link from my phone. Gonna have to get my laptop out :)

Did you have the Blue Max 2001 version?
    http://youtu.be/vpLqU0w9pfM

Interesting to see what Synapsis thought the year 2001 was going to be like haha

Ed

Sorry cant see your signature link from my phone. Gonna have to get my laptop out :)

Interesting to see what Synapsis thought the year 2001 was going to be like haha

Ed
    Yeah played 2001 ,it was terrible if I rememember properly. You had a flying saucer..like we all had 12 years ago;)

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Yeah played 2001 ,it was terrible if I rememember properly. You had a flying saucer..like we all had 12 years ago;)
    Yeah shame the flying saucers didn't work out and we went back to cars !

Was playing a bit of phantasy star online. Decided to drop the guns and go with melee and I'm having a much better time at it at the moment. Thankfully the character I choose is very versatile so didn't have to start a new character. There's a really great fan community on the servers I'm on, There's lv 150 + people on there that willhappily take newbies like myself through some of the toughest sections of the game so you can level up like mad.

Also played a quick game of the first X-Com game last night. My first skirmish was a disaster. I got cocky when one of my team killed a little grey man from half the map away, I didn't realise until later when my guy blasted 3 auto fire shots at close range at another alien and hit nothing but air that it was an absolute fluke. I lost 3 men and then I had a chance to shoot the little **** back. The precentage chances to hit weren't good, the highest was a single shot rated at 45%. However there was another option, throw rated at 75%. Throw what? A grenade! So I selected the throw option and with perfect accuracy my guy proceeded to throw his gun at the alien. I couldn't stop laughing for 5 minutes and decided to start a new game.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Earthbound rocks!!!!

Been playing it all day. It just had so much charm. Funny as hell too :)

playing adventures of Iolo 2 every chance l can get today. addictive little puzzler for the Nes but the music tends to grate on my nerves after a few minutes.
    My brothers opinion of it boils down to his comment he made after seeing me playing it.
    'What IS that? Like a crappy version of Zelda?'
    l Made him play Shaq Fu followed by Primal Rage. He has now learned to hold his tongue. Unfortunetely his brains turned to mush

Ed
    here , had to do a replay of Blue Max (not the sequel though, its terribad!)

Great work, thought you said the first version was "terribad".

I do agree with you, the Atari version looks way better, faster and more responsive. Spectrum looks dog slow and the yawn says it all :)

C64 is my childhood though, mustnt have had many games, shame i sold it for a NES.

Ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

bouncing through Yoshi's Island on the snes at the moment. Amazing game, my brother didn't think it was a snes game when he seen it. Excellent use of the fx2 chip while maintaining that solid 2D platforming goodness. It's a shame more snes games didn't utilize the fx chip like SMW2 does

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Burkey0

Finished off Secret of Evermore. Thought I was finally onto a winner with the Gothica part, but then Omnitopia turned out to be complete clag, not what I was expecting at all.

Now, which SNES game to beat next?

Burkey0 wrote: »
    Finished off Secret of Evermore. Thought I was finally onto a winner with the Gothica part, but then Omnitopia turned out to be complete clag, not what I was expecting at all.

Now, which SNES game to beat next?

You finished super metroid, a link to the past and chrono trigger? They'd be 3 of the best ones

nuxxx wrote: »
    You finished super metroid, a link to the past and chrono trigger? They'd be 3 of the best ones

I have indeed, triffic games. I'm thinking maybe Mystic Quest Legend... such a quirky game, and I hear the music just gets better and better

Isn't great, kinda like a tutorial for the later FF games

Check out Super Aleste if you haven't

Yeah looks dead basic from the few minutes I played of it, I like how enemies have a 'damaged' sprite further into battle

I do often see Super Aleste in the RAGE (I think it's Super Aleste at least), will give it a bash on your recommendation!

• Advertisement

Mario RPG is another good one but I'm guessing you've played it :)

Breath of fire and Lufia games are other good rpgs besides the main ones

If you're into rpg games these roms all have fan translations and are 3 of the best RPGS on the snes with lovely graphics,

Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia and Secret of Mana 2 aka seiken densetsu 3

Night. :)

Yeah cheers, I played Lufia II on emulator quite a bit of the way through but probably wasn't close to finishing it. Seemed a long auld game, a little generic but the dungeons and the visible encounters was good

I look online for a PAL cart sometimes (I have an awful curse where if something came out in PAL I have to buy it PAL first no matter what) but I think the only English one is the Aussie one. The ones I usually see are apparently Dutch :(

Cheers for them, I'm fairly with it on SNES RPGs, haven't beaten Star Ocean though. Emulator always freezes and other catastrophes! Night bro

nuxxx wrote: »
    bouncing through Yoshi's Island on the snes at the moment. Amazing game...

It is, i started it a while back and now i've been sidetracked by Mario 3 from Super Mario All stars. Am in world 5 on that, so a bit more than half way through. I've only the poxy ice world to worry about next, and a few tricky levels in world 8, and it's all relatively plain sailing after that.

Once i'm finished, Yoshi's island will be getting loaded back up for a bit...

It is, i started it a while back and now i've been sidetracked by Mario 3 from Super Mario All stars. Am in world 5 on that, so a bit more than half way through. I've only the poxy ice world to worry about next, and a few tricky levels in world 8, and it's all relatively plain sailing after that.

Once i'm finished, Yoshi's island will be getting loaded back up for a bit...
    I only passed Mario 3 last year after playing it since it was released on the nes. The ghost house/castle with all the doors always stumped me. Finally passed it and easily passed the rest. Bit of an anti-climax

Don't play Breath of Fire 1 whatever you do. I've not played a more boring RPG since Legend of Dragoon. It's not bad it's just really really bland.

If you have to play one RPG on the SNES then play Earthbound. No other RPG comes close to how good it is.

A suggestion is to check out Majyuuou. You can get a fan translation for it, might be called King of Demons, but it's perfectly playable without it. I suggest getting it since the story is pretty ****ed up. It's one of the best looking SNES games and a really great castlevania type game. Only problem is that its a bit easy.

I only passed Mario 3 last year after playing it since it was released on the nes. The ghost house/castle with all the doors always stumped me. Finally passed it and easily passed the rest. Bit of an anti-climax

It's quite easy, but then most of the mario games were. It's really simple to build up 99 lives and loads of power items and P-Wings, making the levels fly by, but what i love most about it is all the cool secret and hidden stuff it has in it.

Incidentally, speaking of 99 lives, just in case anyone didn't know about any of these....

Don't play Breath of Fire 1 whatever you do. I've not played a more boring RPG since Legend of Dragoon. It's not bad it's just really really bland.

If you have to play one RPG on the SNES then play Earthbound. No other RPG comes close to how good it is.

A suggestion is to check out Majyuuou. You can get a fan translation for it, might be called King of Demons, but it's perfectly playable without it. I suggest getting it since the story is pretty ****ed up. It's one of the best looking SNES games and a really great castlevania type game. Only problem is that its a bit easy.

Yes but, now I could be wrong, isn't Breath of Fire poorly translated and funny as a result. They stepped it up a bit for the sequel.

And that Castlevania type game warrants some looking into for me, cheers.

Yes but, now I could be wrong, isn't Breath of Fire poorly translated and funny as a result. They stepped it up a bit for the sequel.

Breath of Fire was translated decently by Squaresoft. It's a bit dry but the problems very much lie in the gameplay which is very bland.

By stepping it up for the sequel, if you mean they tried to make a worse translation then you are right. BoF3 was handled in-house by Capcom Japan to hilarious results. If you want to go fishing with a 'Fishing Lod' then it's the game for you. It's regarded by some as the worst translated RPG ever.

BoF2 however is a far more interesting game than BoF1 and it's the one to play really. A decent fan transaltion was released for it a couple of weeks ago which is work checking out even if they added their own intro to the game just to show off.

Great work, thought you said the first version was "terribad".

I do agree with you, the Atari version looks way better, faster and more responsive. Spectrum looks dog slow and the yawn says it all :)

C64 is my childhood though, mustnt have had many games, shame i sold it for a NES.

Ed
    cheers
    one thing (and I actually noticed it thanks to that comment pointing out that I didnt hit much in the Atari version) , th4 C64 seems to have a smaller playfield, with less ..layers of altitude I suppose you could call them, which means its easier to hit other planes..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Have gone back to Mother 3 after a 6 month Hiatus and whilst its so charming and pretty, I'm still just waiting for it to really kick off and , I'm only at the start of Chapter 3 (I have a low attention threshold:D). I know how high people's opinions of the game are but does the story kick off? Soon? at all?

Advertisement