Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Unibios is Kerb's so he can sell that himself!

So do you have the original bios chip for it, or will it be sold biosless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yep! Tab will bring up options in MAME and let you play with dip switches on boards.

Metal Slug blood is in the MVS soft dip settings. I think it's on the second page of settings.

hmm, not there, I'm using mame4droid on my tablet and it gives stuff like coin slots, free play, whether its the arcade or home version (didnt realise you could change that), no blood though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah, no idea when it comes to ports. I'm talking about real MAME :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It wouldn't be sold in a state of biosless-ness, no, the original bios is here somewhere...
    Don't know if it's selling yet, will let you know

Ah, no idea when it comes to ports. I'm talking about real MAME :pac:

The joys of not owning a windows based machine anymore :pac: macmame is the same doesn't run everything, I'm half tempted to build a small pc just for MAME.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The base build of Mame for Linux and even MacOSX come with the 'press tab then select dip switches' option.

Never mind, found it, its under dipswitch, test switch on and then reset the game and its in the test switch options, woohoo Metal Slug bloody edition.

sat at work playing MAME, how bad, now to bomb through Sunset Riders and Turtles In Time :pac: best thing about MAME is seeing the end of games you never did as a kid, unless you blew your weeks pocket money on them.

does anyone remember a game that was a swords n socrcery type platformy thing, it was kind of a cross between Ghouls n Ghosts, Rastan and Cadash, you could get different armour and if you took too many hits you were down to a loincloth ala Gn'G, I remember playing it donkeys years ago and can't for the life of me think of the game, I think you had a chain or a ball on a chain or something as a weapon? there were loads of chests and shops around the place to buy upgrades too. wrecking my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

krudler wrote: »
    Never mind, found it, its under dipswitch, test switch on and then reset the game and its in the test switch options, woohoo Metal Slug bloody edition.

sat at work playing MAME, how bad, now to bomb through Sunset Riders and Turtles In Time :pac: best thing about MAME is seeing the end of games you never did as a kid, unless you blew your weeks pocket money on them.

does anyone remember a game that was a swords n socrcery type platformy thing, it was kind of a cross between Ghouls n Ghosts, Rastan and Cadash, you could get different armour and if you took too many hits you were down to a loincloth ala Gn'G, I remember playing it donkeys years ago and can't for the life of me think of the game, I think you had a chain or a ball on a chain or something as a weapon? there were loads of chests and shops around the place to buy upgrades too. wrecking my head.

Rygar ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rygar

brianon wrote: »

No that's not it, I can't think of it at all, I remember there being poles you have to climb, you fought dragons at some point in it, and there was a weird old man who sold you stuff as well, isn't Willow or anything like that but its in the same vein.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

No that's not it, I can't think of it at all, I remember there being poles you have to climb, you fought dragons at some point in it, and there was a weird old man who sold you stuff as well, isn't Willow or anything like that but its in the same vein.

Maybe Black Tiger? Weird old man at 1min 5s.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Maybe Black Tiger? Weird old man at 1min 5s.

Yes! that's it, thanking you sir :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Yes! that's it, thanking you sir :D

Didn't this just get released this week on Capcom Arcade Cabinet ?

Master of the Universe

Spent a good while this evening with Shinobi X.

When you put the dodgy filmed cut scenes aside (which have their own hilarious merit anyway) and pre rendered digitized sprites, it's not actually a bad game!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was playing Robotron this evening courtesy of the cab, and Snoopy Tennis, courtesy of my new Game & Watch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It wouldn't be sold in a state of biosless-ness, no, the original bios is here somewhere...
    Don't know if it's selling yet, will let you know

Socket BIOS MVS board. Original bios I'm sure is well gone by this stage. The Unibios is an original, always meant to send it back to have it upgraded. Note the serial number doesn't match the board as I think we swapped the bios from one MVS to another. Unsure why. That spare MVS board was already sold/swapped to someone on there.

TBH, I might nab it from Cider should he not need/want it

• Advertisement

Retr0 got the other MVS board, plus a couple of games.
    The fate of the MVS board may be in doubt, but the 111in1 cart for it will be available soon, I'll stick it in the trade forum soon.

Master of the Universe

Have you tried out that ps1/ps2 JAMMA adapter yet? Be really interested in hearing if you've any better luck with the thing than I did!

Yeah, no dice here either :(

Master of the Universe

Do you get picture and no controls yeah?

Looks like a grounding fingerboard is needed so :(

Maybe it's something FrancoB might offer.

Is that one of those MGCD boards or something else again?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Is that one of those MGCD boards or something else again?

Tis! Pyong had the exact same issue. It's a known problem with them, but I was hoping Ciderman's cab might have some luck with it.

The ground pins are stupidly wired to extra buttons on the Playstation pad. Why? I have no idea. They basically made the thing unusable out of the box because of it.

The idea would be great, installing ones PS2 Shmup collection to a HDD, run the games off of that with FreeMcBoot and a Network Adapter, but the fecking interface card is banjaxed from the get-go.

Thinking of doing what O1s1n has and popping the DC into the Ikeacab, would look smashing

Tis! Pyong had the exact same issue. It's a known problem with them, but I was hoping Ciderman's cab might have some luck with it.

The ground pins are stupidly wired to extra buttons on the Playstation pad. Why? I have no idea. They basically made the thing unusable out of the box because of it.

Lol I was following his trials with the yoke on his Youtube channel. Looks like he got it working on his CRT but not sure with his cab, there was soldering involved too. Put me right off getting one though.

I was able to connect up the PS2 to the AWSD using a Sync Strike. Just need to buy a pad hack and it's all sorted.

Master of the Universe

Ah yeah, that's the one alright! Looks like he had the exact same issue I have.

Handy that you have that VGA input with your monitor. Anything I want to run needs to go through the harness. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Lol I was following his trials with the yoke on his Youtube channel. Looks like he got it working on his CRT but not sure with his cab, there was soldering involved too. Put me right off getting one though.

I was able to connect up the PS2 to the AWSD using a Sync Strike. Just need to buy a pad hack and it's all sorted.

Some amount of kit there in that vid, it all goes way over my head. What are all the bits n bobs?

Master of the Universe

Yeah, it gets seriously messy when chaining stuff together like that. My IKEA cab looks very similar when trying to hook up Jamma boards.

He has the PS2 going to the MGCD (the PCB right beside it) which is connected to a supergun (the black box)

The video is coming out of the supergun via scart, to a sync strike (thing with the bright red light), which is going to a scaler (dim red light) and then going to a SLG 3000.

Basically in that setup, the supergun is supplying the Jamma board (MGCD & PS2) with power. He's routing video from the supergun to scart, and sending it through through the above VGA video chain (sync strike/Scaler/SLG) to a LCD I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I'm confused as to what he is trying to achieve with the above ?

Master of the Universe

It's just a supergun setup. All he's trying to achieve is to run a 'jamma board' on an LCD tv with proper scale and scanlines.

What makes it confusing are the inputs and outputs.

In - MGCD & PS2 -> pretty much just the equivalent of a JAMMA board.

Out - Sync Strike/Scaler/SLG3000 -> makes arcade boards or any other low res game look nice on an LCD. The equivalent of a scart cable.

ffs just plug the PS2 into the LCD and be done with it :)

Or buy a PS3 and use the backward compatibili.. .. oh wait .... never mind....

Master of the Universe

Well the only reason the PS2 is hooked up to the supergun is to test out to see if the MGCD works. I'm sure that isn't how he plays his PS2 games.

Although knowing Pyong, maybe it is :D

• Advertisement

Well the only reason the PS2 is hooked up to the supergun is to test out to see if the MGCD works.

Ah a Jamma loopback sort of thing make more sense alright :)

Master of the Universe

Yeah, I did something similar with my one to test out the controls. When you set it all up you can't help but have a 'wtf is this **** I've just created?!' moment :D

Now that I think about it, the controls worked grand via the MGCD through the supergun. :(

DSC_0875.jpg

Yeah as o1s1n say's he just testing out the MGCD on a supergun because he initially didn't work on the cab.

The display in that video is actually a Dell CRT monitor (VGA) rather than an LCD, but same principle in that you need the Sync Strike and scaler. Presumably the SLG is an optional extra as the Dell would already have scanlines I would've thought.

Master of the Universe

Doesn't the higher resolution of a PC monitor make the scanlines a lot smaller? Maybe that's the reason for the SLG.

Doesn't the higher resolution of a PC monitor make the scanlines a lot smaller? Maybe that's the reason for the SLG.

Aye that's probably the reason alright.

Sitting here gawking at the scanlines from Raiden, fecking gorgeous. :o

Master of the Universe

Still haven't been out to Bray to pick up my Raiden PCB yet! Along with all the other nice bits out there.

When I do, I might use that Amiga monitor I picked up a while back as a vertical shmup display until I figure out another solution. Lovely little monitor so it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Crush roller on ngpc. More I play this the more I like it.

AE9F9CC6-BB77-44BA-90BC-E13AE7636DAF-1633-0000037392F3CB5A.jpg

Ps.. Battery life on ngpc is just ridiculous!

Still playing The Witcher, awesome rgp :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Still haven't been out to Bray to pick up my Raiden PCB yet! Along with all the other nice bits out there.

When I do, I might use that Amiga monitor I picked up a while back as a vertical shmup display until I figure out another solution. Lovely little monitor so it is.

I'm in Dun Laoghaire myself... feel free to drop in for a beer on your way back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Retropolis

Crush roller on ngpc. More I play this the more I like it.

AE9F9CC6-BB77-44BA-90BC-E13AE7636DAF-1633-0000037392F3CB5A.jpg

Ps.. Battery life on ngpc is just ridiculous!

Nice game crush roller, about the battery life if your not playing it outside, I recommend you pick up a wii battery charger with a USB cable with the little yellow tip, it will fit in the ngp/ngpc/and gbp it won't charge it but will act as a ac adapter.

And not to derail the thread I'm playing Sonic 1, can't go wrong with that game at all

Master of the Universe

Just finished Earthbound /sniff sniff.

Now if there was ever a game I just did not want to reach the ending of, this was it. Could have happily played it forever!

Edit - balls, don't know what to play now! Have spent so long playing Earthbound and Phantasy Star IV over the last couple of months that I now have an empty void.

Anyone recommend a good RPG?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well there's always the fan translation of Mother 3. You should read up about Earthbound now, it's very interesting about the themes and influences shigesato itoi had for the game.

And if you have a 3DS then Crimson Shroud is an absolute must.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well there's always the fan translation of Mother 3. You should read up about Earthbound now, it's very interesting about the themes and influences shigesato itoi had for the game.

And if you have a 3DS then Crimson Shroud is an absolute must.

Is Mother 3 good? I wonder would it be possible to use a GBA flash cart with the Gamecube GBA player so I could play through it on the tv.

Was reading about Earthbound last night the moment I finished it :) Very interesting (and downright weird!) influences alright. I quite like the

'end of innocence' type ideas floating about regarding the end. Very apt.

That bit at the end where their souls are taken from their bodies and put into robots completely took me from left field, I was shocked.

Part of me didn't want them to make it back as I thought it would have been incredible to have something so heartbreaking in what appeared to be a kids game. Glad they did though :)

That whole last level, from when they became robots to the colouring/design of the level itself with the music...just so foreboding. When 'Oisin prays for Ness etc' came up on the screen I realized I actually was praying for them :D. Amazing 4th wall breaking. Has to be one of my favourite moments in videogames ever

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Asking Retr0gamer if Mother 3 is any good?

You don't read his posts enough :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mother 3 is spectacularly good. I prefer Earthbound but Mother 3 would be the better game in terms of gameplay. It's got amazing writing as well but I think Earthbound wins in that regard, Mother 3's messages are a bit more obvious than earthbound.

Just don't read up about it before playing, there's major spoilers right from the get go.

• Advertisement

Wasted a morning on the cab again, so no games played :(
    Because my boy finished DQIX I was considering if he should take a crack at DQVIII or VI, but if he's especially good at school today I'm going to reveal Ni No Kuni to him!
    I haven't had any time to play anything recently, and it seems like a shame to have spent €50 on the game and not see it played.

Oh, I told a small fib, we did play about 10mins of Pink Sweets together this morning, before he went to school.
    My boy is lucky to have a dad like me!

Master of the Universe

Asking Retr0gamer if Mother 3 is any good?

You don't read his posts enough :P

I thought it was Mother 2 he was always going on about :D
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Mother 3 is spectacularly good. I prefer Earthbound but Mother 3 would be the better game in terms of gameplay. It's got amazing writing as well but I think Earthbound wins in that regard, Mother 3's messages are a bit more obvious than earthbound.

Just don't read up about it before playing, there's major spoilers right from the get go.

Brilliant! That's that decided so. :)

Master of the Universe

Just spent the evening trying to remember how to get GBA games to load off a flash cart in the DS. Finally remembered :)

Currently erasing the NOR to load Mother 3. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Was playing Streets of Rage 3 last night and it was kinda boring and I didnt notice much of difference between it and its predecessor, well apart from the shoddy music soundtrack and sound effects.
    Was going to play Bare Knuckle 3 but apparently streets is harder, is there wny reason to try out th3 jap version?
    Had a few minutes at Crisis Force as well and the more I play that gake the more I love it. A lot of interesting ideas in it like the obstacles in tge third stage, seems far more inventive than sonic wings special.
    I really haven't played many shmups and maybe Crisis Force is rather bland in the overall scheme of things but out of Raiden Trad on sega, darius twin on snes and sonic wings special on saturn its my favourite.
    Those titles being what I played recently.
    Going through a bit of a nes stage, any recommendations?

Master of the Universe

Streets of Rage 3 was censored and altered to bits. Always go with Bare Knuckle 3, it's far better.

Whoever censored it had an issue with the gays. :(

Ash was totally removed.

tumblr_lr9a1kAYdC1r2xmg4o1_250.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement