Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Where the FAP did you get that?
    Can't be the Snes game, must be the DS one!

Or else the JAP version for some TSOP adapting goodness?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

In this instance I reckon Chronotrigger is just on this side of affordable to warrant investment in the real deal, especially with the DS version available, Mother 2/Earthbound is completely different, when the only place to play the english version is to either pay through the nose or use an emu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

EnterNow wrote: »
    Or else the JAP version for some TSOP adapting goodness?

Spot on :) Its the Japanese version.

I'll have none of that square purple buttoned American nonsense in my house. Playing it on the everdrive at the moment so this cart will probably never get used much.
    Changing the ROM would be nice, bit of hassle but nice :)

Postage included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Meh, just ordered a boxed copy for €23 :)

Is that including postage? Mine includes post.

Spot on :) Its the Japanese version.

I'll have none of that square purple buttoned American nonsense in my house. Playing it on the everdrive at the moment so this cart will probably never get used much.
    Changing the ROM would be nice, bit of hassle but nice :)

Postage included.

Washed out smarties ftw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

You're going to try and say this isnt fantastic looking right here

IMG_20130305_200628_zpsdca9a915.jpg

In this instance I reckon Chronotrigger is just on this side of affordable to warrant investment in the real deal, especially with the DS version available, Mother 2/Earthbound is completely different, when the only place to play the english version is to either pay through the nose or use an emu.

Agreed, tbh after Earthbound/Mother 2 I'd not bother with any other cart except for Clocktower & possibly some fan translations

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wrong controller!!!!
    Plus, if that's you in the background I'd suggest seeing a Orthodontist, and a Dermatologist, in fact all the -ologists you can find....
    That glassy blank stare... for a minute I thought it was a Sony Fanboi!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭grumpig

Im playing Siren blood curse XD freaking epic quite scary ;D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Wrong controller!!!!
    Plus, if that's you in the background I'd suggest seeing a Orthodontist, and a Dermatologist, in fact all the -ologists you can find....
    That glassy blank stare... for a minute I thought it was a Sony Fanboi!

I get the best of both worlds, my controller looks like a fresh pack of M&Ms

• Advertisement

I get the best of both worlds, my controller looks like a fresh pack of M&Ms

You poor, deluded b@st@rd.... deary deary me......
    Next up, someone trying to convince himself that this
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAGFE4NKQa-h3k62_DPku9A65IuMxSUMRW5bbD3ADBBj9jFGZK6A

looks better than this

FAGiet2KDLkdngYk.medium

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Next up, someone trying to convince himself that this
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAGFE4NKQa-h3k62_DPku9A65IuMxSUMRW5bbD3ADBBj9jFGZK6A

looks better than this

FAGiet2KDLkdngYk.medium

Lookswise it does. :cool:

That bowl of custard in the bottom picture belongs in a 70s sitcom. Mank.

The NES looks like a games console and not a toy, has massive nostalgia factor too, the Fami-puke doesn't.

Now, it might be a cool machine but in the looks department, NES > Fami.

Actually, what are you supposed to do if one of the controllers stops working? Can they be disconnected and replaced?

/Edit: I'll concede the Famicom Twin looks excellent though!

The controllers are identical, internally, to the Nes ones, and easily fixed.
    I already repaired one of the Fami controllers and it works just fine, using a Nes controller with a broken connector at the end.
    Plus, if old Nes pads are short in supply, the replacement parts for them certainly aren't and a new membrane for inside is less than a fiver.

And, at the very least, the Fami works, pretty much all of the time, while the Nes almost always needs a new connector, which itself is always going to need replacing in time, so buy a few of them.
    The Famicom only has issues when the cart contacts are dirty, aside from that it's bang on.

Aesthetically, the Fami carts are lovely to behold, in a multitude of colours with nice art on most, while Nes carts are just poo, with the usual combination of dull greyness and crap artwork.

The only damp spot on the trousers of gaming bliss is the shortness of the Famicom controller cables, a symptom of the device being designed to be used close to the tv in the cramped confines of the average Japanese household.

Even my Pal Nes titles run better, via adapter, on the Famicom, giving me full screen happiness.

I'm going to do a bit of internal rewiring on the Fami to extend the controller cables another bit, to make it easier to use, but overall the device is perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    streets of rage 3 music track gave me the flu!

It is truly awful

terrible isnt the word, the SOR2 soundtrack is fcuking superb though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So I guess I'm a masochist now...

IMAG0839.jpg

You can just let yourself out, can't you?
    Ownership of Shadow The Sh1tehog is only allowed if it was bought for you by an elderly, specifically doubly incontinent, relation who was hoodwinked by a staff member of Gamestop into getting it. And even then only if a bin isn't handy prior to the picture being taken.
    If these criteria are not met, then you are hereby finished in the A&R Forum, so I hope you have a pleasant time posting with the other knuckle draggers on the Games forum.

I'm a Sonic fan... I'll be playing it purely for the story.

I'm actually trying my best not to have to use the gun at all. The game itself was a handmedown so thankfully no cash parted ways for it.

It works with the 360's backwards compatibility mode too which is handy. The game's engine is awful though.

A Sonic fan and yet you own Shadow the Hedgehog?
    That's like being a fan of Batman but still watching Batman & Robin!

A Sonic fan and yet you own Shadow the Hedgehog?
    That's like being a fan of Batman but still watching Batman & Robin!

Don't make me use my Ciderman repellant bat-spray on you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Achilles wrote: »
    Don't make me use my Ciderman repellant bat-spray on you!

The Shadow The Hedgehog disc would work better to be honest :p

• Advertisement

As games go that title represents everything that is wrong with creating videogames by committee, everything else that is wrong with videogames is enshrined by other titles, such as Streets of Rage, Goldenaxe and Boulder Dash.

As games go that title represents everything that is wrong with creating videogames by committee, everything else that is wrong with videogames is enshrined by other titles, such as Streets of Rage, Goldenaxe and Boulder Dash.

All nullified by the fact you bought a Move kit

Aren't you forgetting I don't own Shadow the Hedgehog?
    Doesn't that count for something?
    And as for the Move thingy, yes it's daft, but I will get to play HD House of the Dead Overkill on it, so it's not all bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'll be playing it purely for the story.

Get this man a book ASAP!

o1s1n wrote: »
    The Shadow The Hedgehog disc would work better to be honest :p

It's going onto the same shelf as my copy of Sonic '06... funilly enough they were only released a year apart.

Hah...

I'm sorta going for a full Sonic collection too at the minute so every little helps... to be honest I can't actually see myself playing it after last night... got to the second level and got a bit annoyed.

Might just watch the various Good / Bad cutscenes on YouTube.

Get this man a book ASAP!

Ahh cheers... get this for me if you can:
    http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com/Books/The-History-of-Sonic/flypage.tpl.html

Thanks again! :P

I'm sorta going for a full Sonic collection too at the minute so every little helps

Thats very achievable, there's only four Megadrive carts to collect.

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Thats very achievable, there's only four Megadrive carts to collect.

Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic 3D Blast, Mean Bean Machine, Sonic Spinball, Sonic Crackers.

All of the above or else it's incomplete :D

What about Knuckles Chaotix?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

What about Knuckles Chaotix?

That would be a 32X game :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That would be a 32X game :P

And absolute **** as well.

I think the Sonic 8-bit games are great as well, all except that awful one with the pre-rendered graphics.

Sonic Crackers? Meh can't see myself ponying out for a proto cart... I know others are into that but it's just not me.

I already have all four mega drive carts at this point. Infact I think Sonic 2 was yours o1s1n... :P

*edit*

My mistake that was OwaynOTT

Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic 3D Blast, Mean Bean Machine, Sonic Spinball, Sonic Crackers.

All of the above or else it's incomplete :D

Everything after the word Knuckles is a lie :D Sonic Spinball?? Ffs man :P Agreed re Chaotix, its certainly nowhere near the caliber of the classic lineup.

I'd be happy with Sonic 1 to 3 and Mean Bean Machine, although I'd personally prefer the Puyo Puyo original tbh

I'd be happy with Sonic 1 to 3 and Mean Bean Machine, although I'd personally prefer the Puyo Puyo original tbh

You prefer Mean Bean Machine over Sonic & Knuckles??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Puyo Puyo is up there with tetris as one of the best puzzle games of all time.

I never really enjoyed Sonic & Knuckles, for some reason, 1 to 3 were great but, I don't know, I think I had moved on to the 3DO and straight then onto the PS at that point, kinda left 16bit behind for a while, before coming crawling back, crying, dribbling and snotting while apologising and swearing I'd never leave it again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Can't beat MBM to get my platinum on the Sega Genesis Collection on PS3 :(
    Tried all the tricks for the last level but its not to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Being playing through Metroid Zero mission on the GBA and have to say I'm impressed! It seems a tad short as I'm up to Ridley already but still took me 3 or 4 hours to find my way around. ( Holes in the floor in Kraids area took about an hour as I thought I missed an item from another area ) It aint no super Metroid but its not as far off as I thought it would be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

nuxxx wrote: »
    Being playing through Metroid Zero mission on the GBA and have to say I'm impressed! It seems a tad short as I'm up to Ridley already but still took me 3 or 4 hours to find my way around. ( Holes in the floor in Kraids area took about an hour as I thought I missed an item from another area ) It aint no super Metroid but its not as far off as I thought it would be

I really enjoyed Zero Mission, preferred it to Fusion. There is a whole second section although I found it a bit difficult and frustrating so never finished it.

• Advertisement

Ninja Gaiden, which can be frustrating.

Ha, trust me it gets worse on the last level when you realise the true horror of the final boss bug.

Its the jumping backwards when hit that is irritating me. Its in castlevania as well but the enemies are ideally placed to push you back into a pit and the respawing!
    Also I jumped down a part in the second stage where you're meant to got down and died because I didn't use the ladder ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

The taito legends 2 collection is just great. So many games. I'll be playin it for months to come!!

Currently playin...

9870D35E-419E-4170-93F1-6F817D557A72-935-00000202BB4CC19A.jpg

0A8DFCA1-3358-45FD-928D-D99CEDC86E5E-935-00000202C8B8E1B1.jpg

4DF94CE9-E5C7-4204-917B-EF6D0E81269D-935-00000202DBCA2D49.jpg

G-Darius, so ****ing good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    G-Darius, so ****ing good.

Agreed

Used to be a guy around here who loved that game..... Seoul or something further North perhaps..... ;)

Used to be a guy around here who loved that game..... Seoul or something further North perhaps..... ;)

yeah but something else was better.

OwaynOTT wrote: »

yeah but something else was better.

Yeah, Raiden!!

Or was it Gradius?

Or Ibara?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Got my first ever Pokemon badge this morning, I'm very proud.

• Advertisement
Advertisement