Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I found the mazes in Strange Journey becoming more and more of a chore as it progressed. Never finished it as a result. Liked a lot of things about it (probably played around 15-20 hours), but as ever with dungeon crawlers my patience became increasingly tested - although it is certainly a superior example of the genre.

Started playing through ICO HD today. Slightly higher-ressed textures aside (always find those PS2 -> 'HD' titles have a very strange sort of look to them) amazed at how well that game has aged. I'd imagine it's like a fine wine, but I don't drink wine, so it would be a bit disingenuous of my to say so :pac: Still, the way the game flows, the lightly challenging but extremely engaging puzzles & exploration, the world they've built up, the subtle and not so subtle ways they build up your relationship with Yorda - a modest masterpiece.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's a game that changed my gaming life, my expectations of what to expect from the whole gaming universe altered with Ico, from the visuals to the wonderful use of sound.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Started playing through ICO HD today. Slightly higher-ressed textures aside (always find those PS2 -> 'HD' titles have a very strange sort of look to them) amazed at how well that game has aged. I'd imagine it's like a fine wine, but I don't drink wine, so it would be a bit disingenuous of my to say so :pac: Still, the way the game flows, the lightly challenging but extremely engaging puzzles & exploration, the world they've built up, the subtle and not so subtle ways they build up your relationship with Yorda - a modest masterpiece.

Easily my favourite PS2 game, an amazing experience playing it through to the end. Is this your first time playing it or just revisiting with the HD versions? I envy anyone coming to it for the first time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just a revisit thanks to the free copy on PSN+. I want to start XCOM, but one of Ico's most admirable traits is its brevity, so said Id give it another whirl before tackling something more time consuming!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just a revisit thanks to the free copy on PSN+. I want to start XCOM, but one of Ico's most admirable traits is its brevity, so said Id give it another whirl before tackling something more time consuming!

Shadow of the Colossus is pretty great too, principally with the frame rate issues put to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Have become addicted to Pang on the cab, so much so Joust was only played once last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

When people were saying how good Fire Emblem was on the 3DS, they really weren't exaggerating. It's really brilliant. Can't wait to get home from work to continue on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

o1s1n wrote: »
    When people were saying how good Fire Emblem was on the 3DS, they really weren't exaggerating. It's really brilliant. Can't wait to get home from work to continue on!

Bring it to work, I know I do. Dont let anyone die

Master of the Universe

I thought I was doing great on the no death front, until one of my guys took a blade to the face last night - was heartbroken!

I gave up on the battle and exited the game. Not sure now if he'll be gone when I start it up again?

• Advertisement

I thought I was doing great on the no death front, until one of my guys took a blade to the face last night - was heartbroken!

I gave up on the battle and exited the game. Not sure now if he'll be gone when I start it up again?

Should be still there if you didn't save it. Who was? Poor auld Stahl got it for me. Since lost both Rickon, Mariabella and some dancer one that I didn't even get to remember their name.
    I'm a bit reckless. Worse thing is I lost them to random Risen battles.
    Lot of free stuff in the wireless section.

Master of the Universe

Lost Virion in the
    Colosseum battle
    about two hours in.

Sent him up against
    Marth
    and he got mangled.

****, just looking through a list of characters and it looks like I lost another one without even realizing! Tried to
    level up that Donnel kid (apparently he'll become a character on your team if he goes up a level in one fight -he didn't last very long :(

Lost Virion in the
    Colosseum battle
    about two hours in.

Sent him up against
    Marth
    and he got mangled.

****, just looking through a list of characters and it looks like I lost another one without even realizing! Tried to
    level up that Donnel kid (apparently he'll become a character on your team if he goes up a level in one fight -he didn't last very long :(

Both pretty useful characters. Just start again.
    That character that needs to be leveled up is one of the harder ones to recruit, and its not so hard really.
    Compared to cube FE its very easy to get them as it was pretty obscure at times in Path of Radiance. Are the other fe like that or more like awakening?

Virion is close to MVP territory, I must say, would be a big loss! Some harder battles I've literally just sent him off with one or two backup scouts to clear half the battlefield. A real day saver!

Master of the Universe

Right, really glad I didn't save my game now :D

My decision was based mainly on the fact that I enjoyed the character and what he had to say, seemed like a bit of craic. Glad to hear he's of use too!

On a side note, the whole world/style of this game is really reminding me of the Berserk Anime and Manga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

ico truly is a masterpiece , but i would of preferred no combat as i thought it was abit sluggish

The ending song is one of the finest bit of music that captured the moment ever so well

• Advertisement

It's simply breathtaking
    End of.

Master of the Universe

I dunno, I know what you mean about the combat - but it makes the bits when Yorda is being taken away that more terrifying, as you kind of feel like it's almost outside your grasp to stop it happening. I used to be screaming at the TV :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Beautiful game but the combat was infuriating in place. I remember one section drove me demented for ages and Yorda, in fairness was a bit of a dumbass.

Love the sound the game makes outdoors.
    These bright sunny mornings, living in the countryside, I swear the sound of the birds and the wind in the trees, feels just like the game, when you are out of the castle.

Master of the Universe

Mighty Switch Force 2 is out on the 3DS store!

Been waiting ages for this one, loved the first game.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

So I got the Rift home last night at about midnight, fumbled around with it, lots of 'why isn't it working yet?!' - and then it worked.

Holy crap is all I can say. Holy feckin crap. This thing rules. Even with the lowish resolution, you ARE in the game.

I've one demo called 'VR Cinema'. Was the first thing I tried. It's a simple cinema with a screen. You can wander around or sit down in the chair. Even that is absolutely amazing! I sat down in the chair. Looked down 'there's my cup holder!' looked behind 'there's the back of my seat!'. The house was really quiet at the time, so it was extremely peaceful - like I was just in this big, empty cinema on my own.

Then I tried a horror demo called 'Alone in the Rift'. Pretty much Slenderman but in a VR environment.

Lets just say there was a 'screamer' moment and it was unlike any other scare I've experienced in anything ever - there's no escape from it. I bashed the keyboard like a madman trying to find the esc key but couldn't get to it and had to sit there witnessing it until I managed to tear the rift off my head.

The weirdest thing about it is you reach out to touch stuff and expect to see your hands, but you don't. Even weirder in TF2 when you look down to see yourself and the team fortress character is standing there.

It really is the future. Without a doubt. More people need to experience it.

Only down side is I'm now contemplating buying a gaming PC to handle stuff that needs more grunt. You really do need 60fps in both images with v sync enabled. Anything under that and it affects the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So jelly :(

Will be brillient if/when they mass produce them with higher res and a cheaper price, and lots of devs jump on board with it. Give me an excuse to upgrade the PC in a year or two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the best thing about it is how immersive it is. When you play games on a TV it might look amazing but you're still looking at images on a screen. When you use the Rift it really does make you feel a part of it.

I'd recommend the rollercoaster simulator although it might make you feel sick. Also get your girlfriend to try the guillotine simulator ;)

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Will be brillient if/when they mass produce them with higher res and a cheaper price, and lots of devs jump on board with it. Give me an excuse to upgrade the PC in a year or two.

When I got my one it was only actually $300! Which is an amazing price for the technology. I'd happily have paid twice that. From what I've been reading it looks like the consumer version will fall in around the same.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think the best thing about it is how immersive it is. When you play games on a TV it might look amazing but you're still looking at images on a screen. When you use the Rift it really does make you feel a part of it.

Well you're still looking at images on a screen with the Rift only they're closer and your peripheral vision is blocked off. Just sit with your nose to your tv and a towel over your head for the cheapo version. :p

I'm curious about the disconnect between your brain thinking you're in the game but the rest of your body is not moving and your hands still using a joypad/keyboard & mouse - does that go after a while I wonder? Any videos I've seen of folk using it you can tell it's a great experience alright.
    When I got my one it was only actually $300! Which is an amazing price for the technology. I'd happily have paid twice that. From what I've been reading it looks like the consumer version will fall in around the same.

You might happily pay half a grand for one but would the general games playing public? They'd pay that for a new console but not the Rift, only speculating ofc. I'd hope it will be well less than the $300 it is now and they'll need to have plenty of kick ass games supporting it to make it worth while.

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    You might happily pay half a grand for one but would the general games playing public? They'd pay that for a new console but not the Rift, only speculating ofc. I'd hope it will be well less than the $300 it is now and they'll need to have plenty of kick ass games supporting it to make it worth while.

Oh god no, costing half a grand would not work for it at all. That's not what I meant - what I meant was the experience is so promising, I personally would be willing to pay that. I know a lot of others wouldn't.

$300 is €232. Which from what I've seen is cheaper than a lot of existing headmounted displays which have no real VR capabilities.

Not sure if the general public would be willing to pay that (they're a fickle bunch!) but for a PC gamer I don't think it's a big outlay for the experience it offers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My only concern is you have to play with v-sync on for it to really work. I hate v-sync. It might reduce tearing but it introduces so much lag to controls that game play significantly worse with it on.

Master of the Universe

Control lag is an issue for your standard game, but I dunno, this is such a big change. It becomes less about playing a game and more about an experience. I'm sure it'll be really interesting and great if they can get it running with more modern games and try to reduce the control lag...but things like Dear Esther or even LSD (!) are what have me particularly interested. Walking around, exploring, seeings things/being impossible places.

I have a VR spacewalk and although it doesn't run too well on my PC due to spec issues, it was still incredible - there was a sense of being in space and looking down on the earth.

Bloody hell, I can't wait to get home from work to give it another go. TF2 ran so well that I think HL2 should be about the same. If that runs at a playable FPS I think I may cry :D

By the way, when you used one, did you notice just how close the lenses are to your eyes? I kept feeling an odd sensation - until I realised it was my eyelashes hitting the lenses :D

Hmm, no didn't get that effect thank god :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

You must not have long, luscious eyelashes like myself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Implants?

Amber.gif

Master of the Universe

Well I just had something freaky happen. You know when you clip through a wall in a game and end up falling off the map into a white oblivion? No big deal huh? Try in in FPS VR! :eek:

Was playing Rift Racer, tearing along in my car, fly through a buggy wall and end up falling for what felt like eternity away from the map into a white void. Just me and my car around me. Had my head turned around looking back out my rear window as the map slowly twisted and turned until it vanished.

I'm also noticing a weird vertigo like sensation whenever I go up a huge ramp which tosses me up into the air. (sometimes spinning!)

It's strange as I only ever get that sensation when I'm high up in the air in reality. Brain is being fooled to a degree and flipping out. Awesome! :D

You know that it's only a matter of time before your better half catches you having a J Arthur Rank in that thing.....

Master of the Universe

Forever bringing down the tone, aren't you? You're like a living Carry On film :P

Forever bringing down the tone, aren't you? You're like a living Carry On film :P

Oculus Rift?
    I have one of those.
    Dr packs it with Betadine tape and insists I dress it every day.
    Problem is I can't reach down there so Matron packs it in for me...
    She has awfully big hands, for a woman...
    Shant sit right til September!

So I got the Rift home last night at about midnight, fumbled around with it, lots of 'why isn't it working yet?!' - and then it worked.

Holy crap is all I can say. Holy feckin crap. This thing rules. Even with the lowish resolution, you ARE in the game.

I've one demo called 'VR Cinema'. Was the first thing I tried. It's a simple cinema with a screen. You can wander around or sit down in the chair. Even that is absolutely amazing! I sat down in the chair. Looked down 'there's my cup holder!' looked behind 'there's the back of my seat!'. The house was really quiet at the time, so it was extremely peaceful - like I was just in this big, empty cinema on my own.

Then I tried a horror demo called 'Alone in the Rift'. Pretty much Slenderman but in a VR environment.

Lets just say there was a 'screamer' moment and it was unlike any other scare I've experienced in anything ever - there's no escape from it. I bashed the keyboard like a madman trying to find the esc key but couldn't get to it and had to sit there witnessing it until I managed to tear the rift off my head.

The weirdest thing about it is you reach out to touch stuff and expect to see your hands, but you don't. Even weirder in TF2 when you look down to see yourself and the team fortress character is standing there.

It really is the future. Without a doubt. More people need to experience it.

Only down side is I'm now contemplating buying a gaming PC to handle stuff that needs more grunt. You really do need 60fps in both images with v sync enabled. Anything under that and it affects the experience.

Shame on you abandoning Crom, Lissa and all those guys.:p

Speaking of Fire Emblem, I think it might have the smartest side quests in the history of recent gaming. Brilliant the way they tie in with the narrative and your involvement in it.
    Time travel + romance = success!

Beat the Super Famicom version of Super Mario World, all 96 exits.

Started playing Umbrella Chronicles. Seems like a pretty decent lightgun game.

Also started A Shadow's Tale/Lost in Shadow. Pretty good even if there's not a lot of variety to the levels. Would be better suited to a downloadable game though.

Finished Lollipop Chainsaw recently. It's far better than I thought it would be and really funny. Much better than Shadows of the Damned.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Shame on you abandoning Crom, Lissa and all those guys.:p

Haha! I know - it was only a brief break, was back playing it again this morning :)

I'm finding progress really slow. Refusing to let any characters die early on in the game - which is resulting in every hour forward taking two hours of playtime. (5 hours into the game, 10 hours tracked for the game on the DS)

Just finished the chapter where MAJOR
    Emmeryn dies. So sad!! Wasn't expecting to have an attachment to an NPC so early in the game.

On a somewhat related note, the cut scenes in this game are fantastic.

Haha! I know - it was only a brief break, was back playing it again this morning :)

I'm finding progress really slow. Refusing to let any characters die early on in the game - which is resulting in every hour forward taking two hours of playtime. (5 hours into the game, 10 hours tracked for the game on the DS)

Just finished the chapter where MAJOR
    Emmeryn dies. So sad!! Wasn't expecting to have an attachment to an NPC so early in the game.

On a somewhat related note, the cut scenes in this game are fantastic.

The animated scenes are too class, im disappointed when a new chapter doesn't have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Gonna dust off the N64 and play through Goldeneye. Tried the 'Reloaded' PS3 version which was an abomination.

Gonna dust off the N64 and play through Goldeneye. Tried the 'Reloaded' PS3 version which was an abomination.

Prepare for disappointment. The N64 game has not aged well. The new Goldeneye is significantly better , which isn't saying much.

Just to be my usual contrary self but I played through the Wii version of Reloaded and thought it a blast, using the proper pad, I bought the PS3 HD version and didn't enjoy it at all, not sure if it's the lousy PS3 controller or some "rebalancing" they did with the game itself.
    Perhaps... my expectations were lower from the Wii.... I don't know.
    Back in the 90's the N64 edition was the bee's knees and the spiders ankles but now, not so much, there is some fun to be had but the brutal frame rate tends to cloud it somewhat.
    But I think it ages better than Perfect Dark tbh

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also started A Shadow's Tale/Lost in Shadow. Pretty good even if there's not a lot of variety to the levels. Would be better suited to a downloadable game though.

That started out quite interesting but ended up a boring game. I remember sticking with it to the end in the hope the gameplay would mix it up a bit but it never did. :(

For some reason the game world reminded me of Ico in certain places, the grassy outside sections maybe.

• Advertisement

The game seemed to trade on the comparison with Ico alright, nearly every review seemed to mention it.
    But it boiled down to a fairly uninspiring platformer, a bit flat, pun intended!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Burkey0

Finally started up FF XIII after buying it last year (not retro but shut up), must be my contrarian nature but it's actually dece so far, I turn off the telly if someone comes too near obv but it's an entertaining game so far

On matters retro, I'm starting up a new spin through Emerald 386 (ROM hack of Pokémon Emerald with all 386 Pokémon of the time available to catch). Final team not decided - any suggestions for an Electric sucker? Was thinking Ampharos

It's a decent game just gets a bit dull if you play it for more than a 2 hour stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Ok Ico, let's see what all the fuss is about.

Ok Ico, let's see what all the fuss is about.

I hope you packed the Kleenex.

• Advertisement
Advertisement