Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I hope you packed the Kleenex.

I hope that's for tears. Otherwise you've reached a new level of oddness :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Ok Ico, let's see what all the fuss is about.

Lucky git if this is your first time playing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Lucky git if this is your first time playing it.

It is my first time and I've had it in the pile of shame for a very very very long time, Played a couple of hours there, its lovely.
    Just met Yorda's Mum, she does not seem cool. Not at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It is my first time and I've had it in the pile of shame for a very very very long time, Played a couple of hours there, its lovely.
    Just met Yorda's Mum, she does not seem cool. Not at all.

No, that's one way to put it.
    You'll love the windmill later, beautiful, cover art didn't do it justice.
    Also, the castle is a character all of it's own.
    Enjoy it, then play the sequel/prequel/ same universe Shadow of the Colossus, very different and had the best simulation of a horses arse until Red Dead Redemption came along!

Master of the Universe

Started replying Doom last night...why am I only noticing this now?!

doom-guy-master-chief-halo-02.jpg

ngbbs47eb0a7335d5b.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well Halo has always been a bastion of originality.

Master of the Universe

So just to reiterate.

Take some Larry Niven

ringworld.jpg

A dash of Doomguy

b0e6e37dc3edd0c5c8e98338edc1e363.jpg

Aliens style tech

POA_-_Comparison.png

Ark_-_Comparison.png

POA_-_Comparison.png

And stick it all in a blender...

Apparently this is also coincidental;

0df1b34c634f999fd078d3c5f1fbf73d7d6fe1ce.jpg__576x480_q85.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished Fire Emblem the other day. Last two battles saw a major casualty rate, but I made it through with most of my mains alive and kicking (poor Virion though - made the deciding shot of the final battle only to be annihilated for his troubles :()

Will probably go back to try the free DLC and attempt to make it through with minimal body count. A damn good game all in all, certainly the best the 3DS has had to offer so far.

Master of the Universe

I'm enjoying the game so much that I've really started trying to lay off the main quests to drag it out longer. The characters are fantastically likeable - still haven't been able to allow any of them to die off.

Virion is always an Achilles heel when I bring him into battle. Great when he gets an opening - but one badly thought out misplacement and he gets mangled in a turn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hmm, certainly leveled and classed up he was a machine for me. Himself and Frederick remained the most reliable powerhouses throughout the game, apart from my main mage.
    Tiki
    is extremely powerful later on too.

Remember to use Master Seals as early as possible to rank up your troops. And if they reach their maximum level second seals can knock them up past their natural limit :) Well worth taking advantage of!

I'd definitely say for the last ten or so hours that was round eight hours sub stories and grinding (I wouldn't call it that though, given how much variance there is) to two hours main missions. Tried to get as many full relationships as possible too - ended up with six married couples before realising I hadn't played a main campaign mission in about a week :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm so glad to see Fire Emblem finally get the attention it deserves in the West. The entire series has been amazing but it just never caught on despite critical reception and marketing by nintendo.

True, game is superb really hoping a wii u fire emblem the gamepads touchscreen seems like a good match. On a related note just started project x and its pretty enjoyable particularly for those who enjoyed awakening and defo recommended. 3ds is having a superb year

From reading reviews of Project X I'd recommend against it. It sounds very like Namco X Capcom which got boring very fast.

Have to digress, its a basic strategy game sure but the combat is pretty entertaining as is the quirky story which the characters reference a number of times and the dialogue is pretty humorous in places. The combat is pretty fun and I like the fact that rather than watch you actions play out you can input team attacks and build up xp and chain attacks for major damage, its pretty fun. Also some great characters to recruit, Riela from valkeria 3 and megaman legends bonne. very enjoyable so far.

Have to digress, its a basic strategy game sure but the combat is pretty entertaining as is the quirky story which the characters reference a number of times and the dialogue is pretty humorous in places. The combat is pretty fun and I like the fact that rather than watch you actions play out you can input team attacks and build up xp and chain attacks for major damage, its pretty fun. Also some great characters to recruit, Riela from valkeria 3 and megaman legends bonne. very enjoyable so far.

Yeah it seems that way at first but it gets boring fast.

Now I've not played it but all the reviews I've read especially Kat Baileys seem to suggest that it suffers from that same problem from Capcom X Namco.

Cant vouch for logevity only about 6 hours in atm and i'am sure it wont be another awakening, 160 hours gone into that and makes me wonder how I have so much time on my hands :) also downloaded kokuga today but havent had a chance to try it out yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Cant vouch for logevity only about 6 hours in atm and i'am sure it wont be another awakening, 160 hours gone into that and makes me wonder how I have so much time on my hands :) also downloaded kokuga today but havent had a chance to try it out yet.

160 and here I thought iwas bad with 30 so far.

@johnny U I thought Frederick was gash. Can easily soak up xp points at the start that others need and really suffers later on. Vaike is an powerhouse, Morgan and Lucina are excellent and gais is very useful, especially when he learns a certain skill.
    Really do need to utilize second seals and reeking boxes.

@o1s1n ive that problem also with the side quests where im lucky to do a chapter every 2 days. But ive also been using the wireless bonus teams to get extra xp and useful weapons.

Has any one else tended to stockpile unique weapons and stat builders in case you might need them later?

OwaynOTT wrote: »

@johnny U I thought Frederick was gash. Can easily soak up xp points at the start that others need and really suffers later on. Vaike is an powerhouse, Morgan and Lucina are excellent and gais is very useful, especially when he learns a certain skill.
    Really do need to utilize second seals and reeking boxes.

Certainly was guilty of soaking up too much XP with the powerhouses early on, but course corrected around halfway through and was fine from there on out.

Vaike was really useful at times, but towards the end just couldn't match up to Virion, Frederick and Tiki (Panne and Kellam became less useful too, after being the ultimate pair during the mid campaign levels). I'd trust those three - and my main - to head off and bait enemies on their own and survive the ordeal. Vaike's defence just made him a risky bet if he wasn't paired up. Still invaluable, just less invaluable that others ;)

You're right though, luciana was excellent. Never did warm fully to that Chrom guy though :pac: Olivia was a valuable asset to have around too.

Kinda ignored all the
    sons & daughters. Too late to the game! The mysterious Wyvern rider was some crazy character design though.
    Has any one else tended to stockpile unique weapons and stat builders in case you might need them later?

Sure that's the way with every RPG ever made! And then you just finish it without ever having used them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Started playing GTA IV again, in the light of the sequel coming out soon and I have the shame of not yet finishing the original release.
    Never mind Gay Tony and that motorbike gang, Niko, his homicidal chums and I have some unfinished business.
    Pity so much of the game feels less like an actual game and more like a commute!

• Advertisement

Had a great time yesterday evening playing NSMBWiiU with my son, turns out it's a lot more fun that way.
    Plus, plenty of practice prior to LuigiU in a couple of weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Ok so fun was had last night as I got my namco stick to connect to the 360.

Played KOF for quite some time. .. that said I really suck at it. Damn you Tekken!! lol

I have Akai Katana ready for tonights session. I purposely didnt play it with the xbox controller instead waiting to get an arcade stick hooked up.

Games I have at the moment that I reckon will work well are:

KOF

Street fighter 4

Akai Katana

Sega Classics collection

Cant think of any others off the top of my head that I have although if I have a look in my bags of games I'm sure theres something else there.

I'm definately getting Deathsmiles. Have it on the Iphone and I love it so looking forward to having it on the big screen.

Any other suggestions?

My favourite shooter to date is Gunbird on PS2.

If your 360 can play NTSC-U games then Raiden Fighters Aces is amazing value for money. Three excellent games on one disc.

Right passed Fire Emblem last night and didn't lose a soul in last battle. Did lose one or two in the final run up but I was reckless because I wanted it done.
    Fired up insanity mode after and I'm struggling on 3rd stage. No room for error here.
    Loved the little ending for each survivor and it made me want to get everyone through on this play through.
    Top 3 players were Avatar (val), Sumia and Gauis. That skill that lets the unit strike twice was invaluable in the last few chapters.

If your 360 can play NTSC-U games then Raiden Fighters Aces is amazing value for money. Three excellent games on one disc.

How do I know if it plays NTSC-U games?

I think its the Elite model I have.

.. PS i just looked at a youtube video of that game and I WANT IT!!! Looks class.

How do I know if it plays NTSC-U games?

I think its the Elite model I have.

.. PS i just looked at a youtube video of that game and I WANT IT!!! Looks class.

Your 360 needs to be modded I think since the game is not region free. The fact you're asking probably means it's not capable?

They're fabulous games. I overlooked them myself since I thought they were just a lazy mash up of Raiden and Strikers - they aren't and that was some stupid logic anyway since I love both of those games and have the PCBs. :rolleyes:

Once I got to playing Fighters I appreciated them properly. Great music, visuals and gameplay.

• Advertisement

Forget The Last of Us, House of the Dead 2 has the best voice acting in any game ever. What a performance by the actor playing Goldman!

I finished House of the Dead 2 on the Wii HotD 2 & 3 collection. Still a great game but whoever said the wiimote is a good substitution for a lightgun is sick and wrong. It's not as much fun to use and shaking the wiimote to reload is flaky, isn't as quick as pointing off screen and really annoying when the game doesn't pick up the shake.

Your 360 needs to be modded I think since the game is not region free. The fact you're asking probably means it's not capable?

They're fabulous games. I overlooked them myself since I thought they were just a lazy mash up of Raiden and Strikers - they aren't and that was some stupid logic anyway since I love both of those games and have the PCBs. :rolleyes:

Once I got to playing Fighters I appreciated them properly. Great music, visuals and gameplay.

Ah modding. I'm lookin at doing that to the ps2 at the moment. I think I'll leave the 360 unmodded tbh. Its already gone through a red ring fix. :(

So I think I'll just settle for region free games.

I have to look back on old threads on here but I know there was a good few region free released shooters in particular.

Ah modding. I'm lookin at doing that to the ps2 at the moment. I think I'll leave the 360 unmodded tbh. Its already gone through a red ring fix. :(

So I think I'll just settle for region free games.

I have to look back on old threads on here but I know there was a good few region free released shooters in particular.

Dodonpachi Resurrection and Saidaioujou are both region free and great. Much Muchi Pork & Pink Sweets region free also iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Forget The Last of Us, House of the Dead 2 has the best voice acting in any game ever. What a performance by the actor playing Goldman!

I finished House of the Dead 2 on the Wii HotD 2 & 3 collection. Still a great game but whoever said the wiimote is a good substitution for a lightgun is sick and wrong. It's not as much fun to use and shaking the wiimote to reload is flaky, isn't as quick as pointing off screen and really annoying when the game doesn't pick up the shake.

I remember clearing it a couple of times in the 'cade years back, and the monumental struggle that was. I was amazed how short it was once I went back and clocked it on the Wii. I know, I know, stating the obvious about an arcade game, but I remember dedicating an evening to beating it again, and having it out on the shorter side of an hour.

I don't recall having that issue with HotD2 on the Wii (I did play the hell out of lightgun games on the PC, so it could just be the benefit of familiarity), but the shotgun-reload in HotD3 has that ever so slight second of lag that's not present in its native form. Yes, the inclusion of a sawn-off was supposed to make it slightly tenser experience, but the Wii port turns into something a bit too Resi at times, with the bullet conservation.

I've been keen to get into HotD4, but I can neither justify the investment in a PS Move, nor the daily excursions to Bray to clock the routes.

Right lunatic mode is just insane!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

House of the Dead Overkill on the Wii was awesome... So much B-movie/Troma schtick...

I have it on the PS3 HotD Overkill, it's brilliant fun alright.
    I really don't know why they wouldn't release the Saturn and arcade original House of the Dead on the Wii compilation, it is a blast, I have the Saturn version here.
    Was it ever available outside of the Saturn and PC?

I really want a Virtua Cop compilation, can I get that anywhere?
    Confidential Mission is fun but nowhere near as good as VC2

Aha, I see VC on the PS2 has both, must pick it up....

It never got a port outside the PC and Saturn. A shame because to my knowledge it never got an arcade perfect port although the saturn one was fantastic.

I think the shotty in HotD 3 might be the most satisfying shotty since Doom 2. It's loads of fun to use.

It took me longer than expected - damn you, nice weather! - but refinished ICO last night. That ending is just absolutely perfect, its been so long since I played it it caught me completely off guard. No game I can think of manages such an accomplished relationship between the gameplay and story - it's all about hints, loaded silences, near absolute trust in the player. Should be a mandatory lesson for all game makers, frankly.

It gave me new respect for Ueda taking his damn time with The Last Guardian, if also filling me with an urge to play it as soon as possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It took me longer than expected - damn you, nice weather! - but refinished ICO last night. That ending is just absolutely perfect, its been so long since I played it it caught me completely off guard. No game I can think of manages such an accomplished relationship between the gameplay and story - it's all about hints, loaded silences, near absolute trust in the player. Should be a mandatory lesson for all game makers, frankly.

It gave me new respect for Ueda taking his damn time with The Last Guardian, if also filling me with an urge to play it as soon as possible!

I really must play ICO, & then SOTC...I have them sitting there in HD versions thanks to PS+ & have yet to experience them. Hmm, maybe the weekend...

EnterNow wrote: »
    I really must play ICO, & then SOTC...I have them sitting there in HD versions thanks to PS+ & have yet to experience them. Hmm, maybe the weekend...

You need to get on that ASAP!

EnterNow wrote: »

:eek: Play them and play them soon! One of their admirable traits is their brevity, so they're not time consuming. ICO shouldn't take you any more than around six hours.

Been many years since I've played it but do you mean
    where you can run along the beach and meet up with Yorda again
    ? If not just say no, I must give it another play through someday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

I remember i rented ICO from chartbusters years ago having no idea what it was, such a great game.

Is the HD remake decent?

• Advertisement

Wow Redneck Rampage is an absolute pile of ****.

Been many years since I've played it but do you mean
    where you can run along the beach and meet up with Yorda again
    ? If not just say no, I must give it another play through someday. :)

More so the whole extended ending sequence. The bit you mention is beautiful, although the ending works great without it too!

As for the HD remake? It's the same game with different textures, that's about it! I did notice one or two tiny glitches here and there, couldn't say whether they're remnants of the source material or not. Still, probably the way to play it these days, even if I always find upscaled ps2 textures a bit odd. I'm sure SOTC would fare better with frame rate improvements - the one significant problem hanging over the original game.

So, no poll of Ico Vs Redneck Rampage then?
    Damn, another great question of the ages unanswered, along with other head scratchers like

System Shock 2 Vs AvP (Jaguar)

Battle Arena Toshinden Vs Wipeout

Rise of the Robots Vs SSFIV

Pit Fighter Vs Gal*Gun

Pokemon White Vs Digimon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

43C49AD8-E6E8-458B-928B-84B74F49D005-574-000001375523D223.jpg

Playin a bit of 1080 on n64. Haven't played this a whole lot since getting it.

I LOVED this game as a kid. Played it a lot.

Ok so im kinda torn here. I genuinely think this game was and still is great but the flaws definately do show through without Rose tinted glasses.

The slow down is seriously annoying. The tracks are hard enough to master without having to second guess the next 5 seconds of slowdown through some trees

The z trigger feels like it works at times and not at others. Maybe I'm just **** but to me it feels like you really need to land perfectly not to crash. In a way this is good for intensity etc but it gets to the point were there's fair and random.

Good game and my favourite snowboarding title by a long shot but definately not flawless.

Looking foward to trying avalanche on the gamecube now that I've got the wii.

Also still addicted to Gunbird on ps2. What a fantastic game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah I'd say the original 1080 hasn't aged too well because of the slow down issues inherent with the platform.
    Avalanche, I feel, is a good combination of the original 1080 and SSX.

Regarding 1080, yes there is some slowdown but it was never unresponsive.
    It was one of the keys of the game, the reasons it was so so impressive was it's controls.
    Is there a controller issue I wonder?

Certainly the masterclass in "How to make a Snownboarding game" was taught by 1080 on the N64, and pretty much very game in the genre since has implemented these lessons.
    Only by playing a predecessor can one appreciate how broken they used to be.

The genre does seem to have all but vanished now though, along with every other X-Treme sports sim, not necessarily a bad thing after the tragic recent efforts from the Tony Hawk franchise.

A WiiU 1080 game wouldn't save the format but would be welcome though.

Yeah I'd say the original 1080 hasn't aged too well because of the slow down issues inherent with the platform.
    Avalanche, I feel, is a good combination of the original 1080 and SSX.

I'll buy avalanche at some point. So many other wii and gamecube games though I want to get first. Have missed a lot of nintendo exclusives it seems.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Regarding 1080, yes there is some slowdown but it was never unresponsive.
    It was one of the keys of the game, the reasons it was so so impressive was it's controls.
    Is there a controller issue I wonder?

Certainly the masterclass in "How to make a Snownboarding game" was taught by 1080 on the N64, and pretty much very game in the genre since has implemented these lessons.
    Only by playing a predecessor can one appreciate how broken they used to be.

The genre does seem to have all but vanished now though, along with every other X-Treme sports sim, not necessarily a bad thing after the tragic recent efforts from the Tony Hawk franchise.

A WiiU 1080 game wouldn't save the format but would be welcome though.

Its not that its not responsive. Its just as the opponent gets close to you or you go through a lot of trees or something or generally a bit of both.
    I'll try another controller but I dont think its that. Most of the time it plays fine but its just a pain when it does happen as you dont have much room for error.

I think its a shame that its a genre thats all but gone. But that said what the consumer wants the consumer gets hence more COD... yawn. :rolleyes:

But that said, I've missed soooo many games in the last 10 years I cant complain. No matter how much other crap gets thrown out there I'll have another missed release to tackle and limited time to tackle it in. :(

That's the great thing about not being blinkered into buying only current gen stuff, we have a far greater breadth of entertainment to choose from, 30 odd years of formats and games instead of just the last 6 or 7.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That's the great thing about not being blinkered into buying only current gen stuff, we have a far greater breadth of entertainment to choose from, 30 odd years of formats and games instead of just the last 6 or 7.

Yup. Even though I havent even hooked up the wii yet I bought a game at lunch. House of the dead 2&3 for €5.99.

Missed them all those years ago.

Now all I need to do is get a gun accessorie thing. :D

Advertisement