Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex shop Display TV, do I have any rights?

Options
  • 18-07-2009 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just purchased a LCD TV from Harvey Norman yesterday.

It was ex shop Display, and came with nothing other than the TV, Stand, remote and plug.

I managed to get a good deal on the TV, and I asked the sales person about warranty.

He said to me that there would be no warranty on ex display stock, and he claimed the TV was now out of manufacturers warranty.

I asked if he could Demo the TV so I could see if it worked ok.

He agreed and showed me.

I was happy with the demo and purchased the TV.

Last night and tonight I have noticed that after the TV has been on for a while I get a multi coloured line across the top of the TV. Its nothing major but im worried that this could get worse.

So what are my rights. I have a receipt, and it dosent mention anywhere that the unit was ex display, nor does it say I have waived my rights.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

guarantee's are considered an addition to your legal rights.

You are protected under Consumer Law. I would bring the TV back, you may not get a refund, but at the very least it should be repaired.

Consumer rights in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

FreedomJoe wrote: »
    Last night and tonight I have noticed that after the TV has been on for a while I get a multi coloured line across the top of the TV. Its nothing major but im worried that this could get worse.
    Seems if the defect wasn't pointed out to you, you can bring it back when you "notice" the defect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The price better have been cut by about 80% if it came without a warranty and no manufacturers warranty. If it wasn't then you were seriously ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

brian_rbk wrote: »
    guarantee's are considered an addition to your legal rights.

You are protected under Consumer Law. I would bring the TV back, you may not get a refund, but at the very least it should be repaired.

Consumer rights in Ireland

Yes a customer is protected under customer law, but the OP has also said that it was turned on and that he was happy with the demo, and if you look at the If Things Go Wrong part of the customer rights link it has this bit.

You have no grounds for redress if

You were told about the defect before you bought the item (for example, if the goods were marked 'shopsoiled')
    You examined the item before you bought it and should have seen the defect
    You bought the item knowing that it wasn’t fit for what you wanted it to do
    You broke or damaged the product
    You made a mistake when buying the item (for example, if you bought an item of clothing thinking it was black when it is actually navy)
    You change your mind

Having said that, I would still go back to the store and say that the coloured line was not present during the demo, and that it was not pointed out as a fault that would surface after having the tv on for a few hours. Personally I would expect a tv to last a lot longer than a few hours, and would look for a duty manager if you go back today (most likely the store manager will not be there on a Sunday)

The below bit is what you would be arguing from the link.

Under this Act the purchaser of goods has a number of rights - the main ones are

Goods must be of merchantable quality – goods should be of reasonable quality taking into account what they are meant to do, their durability and their price
    Goods must be fit for their purpose – they must do what they are reasonably expected to do Goods must be as described - the buyer must not be mislead into buying something by the description of goods or services given orally by a salesperson or an advertisement.

I am just highlighting the first bit as it gives the store some wriggle room to be awkward, not that a lot of the elctrical companies in this country seem to need much in terms of being awkward. The second highlighted bit is what is in your favour

Advertisement