Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good or Bad mpg

• 18-07-2009 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭

Bought a car for an inlaw today, doing abit of work on it before handing it over. It's a 96 cj Mitsubishi colt 1.3 with 133k on the clock. Bought it cheap enough ths morning for e900 with 2 yr Nct on it. Not planing on making a profit on the car as I got it as a favour for my inlaw. Anyways doing a test run on it today I got 128 Miles for e20 of petrol @115.9. Is this good fuel economy for a 1.3 engine?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'll go metric if you don't mind!

128 miles = 205km. 2,000c/115 = 17.26 litres. I'll simplify it a bit more - lets say 200km for 17 litres which is equivalent to 8.5 litres per 100km which is not great. However, what sort of driving did you do? Traffic? Open road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Well by my rough napkin calculations you got 17.2 litres of petrol. Dividing this by 4.54 (1 gallon) gives me 3.78 gallons.

3.78 gallons = 128miles.

therefore you are getting ~34mpg to put it in Lehmans terms.

Its average, if not a little low for a car of that age to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    to put it in Lehmans terms.

What has a failed American bank got to do with anything? :) I think you meant "lay man's":p

Assuming the OP did that 128 miles on the motorway (as it was done in one day), then that's not great MPG. I would expect to do better than that in my 2.2 320i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

mondeo wrote: »
    Bought a car for an inlaw today, doing abit of work on it before handing it over. It's a 96 cj Mitsubishi colt 1.3 with 133k on the clock. Bought it cheap enough ths morning for e900 with 2 yr Nct on it. Not planing on making a profit on the car as I got it as a favour for my inlaw. Anyways doing a test run on it today I got 128 Miles for e20 of petrol @115.9. Is this good fuel economy for a 1.3 engine?

Thanks

If you were driving in town then it is OK, but if on open road, then it is rather poor for this type of car. I get better average fuel economy in my 24-year old 3.0 litre engined car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Fill the tank to the brim. Re-set the mileage counter if you can and then drive away until near empty.

When near empty, fill up again.

Take a note of how many litres went into the tank and then do your calculations.

Litres filled / miles done x 4.54 = mpg.

Plus as its a new car to you it will take you a bit of time to get use to how it drives and thus at the beginning the mpg will be lower than normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Seweryn wrote: »
    If you were driving in town then it is OK, but if on open road, then it is rather poor for this type of car. I get better average fuel economy in my 24-year old 3.0 litre engined car.

All city driving, Yes I did it in one day. All 50, 60 km zones. I wanted to get an idea of it's city economy as it will rarely see the motorway for the driver the car is intended for. I drove the car with consideration 90% of the time, just had to accelerate quickly when some swine came up my ass...I was under the impression that I was getting good mileage out of this thing. I have a 1.3 lancer as a second car and I am getting in around the same economy as this colt..

How much more of an improvement would I expect to get on a motorway with constant driving? I dont really pay attention to figures like this as I usually have a heavy foot on my bigger engined cars.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

mondeo wrote: »
    All city driving, Yes I did it in one day. All 50, 60 km zones. I wanted to get an idea of it's city economy as it will rarely see the motorway for the driver the car is intended for. I drove the car with consideration 90% of the time, just had to accelerate quickly when some swine came up my ass...I was under the impression that I was getting good mileage out of this thing. I have a 1.3 lancer as a second car and I am getting in around the same economy as this colt..

How much more of an improvement would I expect to get on a motorway with constant driving? I dont really pay attention to figures like this as I usually have a heavy foot on my bigger engined cars.

Thanks

If that was a city driving test, then it's not bad at all.

If you drive the same car on a motorway with your heavish foot, then I would expect about 20% better economy. But if you drive it gently on N-roads you should easily get 30-35% better fuel economy. Also if you compare the fuel economy in colder days / short city trips versus open road driving, the difference will be say +70% or even more.
    I remember when I was driving my old VW Beetle in town (small town, not heavy traffic) I was getting only half the distance than I would get if driving wormed up car on open road (20mpg vs 40mpg)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Seweryn wrote: »
    If that was a city driving test, then it's not bad at all.

If you drive the same car on a motorway with your heavish foot, then I would expect about 20% better economy. But if you drive it gently on N-roads you should easily get 30-35% better fuel economy. Also if you compare the fuel economy in colder days / short city trips versus open road driving, the difference will be say +70% or even more.
    I remember when I was driving my old VW Beetle in town (small town, not heavy traffic) I was getting only half the distance than I would get if driving wormed up car on open road (20mpg vs 40mpg)...

Well thats ok so, I was going to get a new 02 sensor for it there for awhile but I wont bother now.. Thanks

Advertisement