Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rude drivers

Options
  • 18-07-2009 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

The traffic lights at the Courthouse/Crossview House had just gone green and I was driving from the Port Rd on to the Main street today when some guy, who's come up on the left lane from the Port Rd (in the left-turn-only lane), cuts me off at the Quiet Moment and pushes his way in front of me.
    I obviously beep the horn as a 'what the hell are you at?!' and he sticks his hand out the window basically gesturing 'yeah, yeah..so what'. Before you ask, it was definitely a 'so what' gesture...It was in no way a sorry for cutting lanes. If It was the latter, I would have been 'no worries, It happens...'

I now toot the horn again as he's completely cut me off and then the rude so and so gives me the finger at least 3 times out the driver window!!
    Christ if I could have jumped out of the car I would've!
    I was bloody angry and basically he drove me to give the figure back (I'm a lady don't you know).
    He then leans out the window and shouts something back (didn't catch it, but sure it wasn't a pleasantry) and gives me the finger again!
    What a t**ser!

I am sure you've all come across incidents like this before but I just thought it was completely rude and out of line and even more so, as he cut me off not vice versa.

Sorry for the long post but I needed to rant! 7 hours later and I'm still angry!

Maybe the wine will help :-)

Seriously though, what is with people like that? I don't doubt if it was my 65 year old Mum, he'd have done the same...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

The Gardai have a phone line for reporting things like that, far too many get away with it.

Perhaps he was unfamiliar with the junction but that particular one seems to have loads of people blocking up the box junction, breaking the lights and often using the faster option of deliberately using the wrong lane to skip the queue, just as they do at the hospital roundabout. Taxi's especially.

I was a passenger once at the courthouse and someone blocked the box junction, entering after their light had gone red. The driver I was on with tooted the horn, when we got through the first car at the High Road was a Garda Car which stopped us to let us know it was their job to dicipline traffic, not that they did or said anything about the driver clearly in the wrong.

Driving in Letterkenny at roundabouts and junctions like this is rediculious and perhaps if it was seen to be enforced once and a while driver behaviour would clean up across the roads locally.

There is a Town CCTV Camera that can pick up the Traffic lights and it would be as easy to monitor as sitting on the dual carraigeway picking off easy speeders, easier even as it can be monitored from the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

What happens at the courthouse traffice light is, that lots of people go up the left hand lane on the port road so as to not to have to sit in traffic then take the left at the courthouse and go down there and to a U-turn and back up to the junction (as when there is a green arrow for turning left it is also green for the courthouse road, and there is time to go down and do a u-turn and back up and the light still geeen. What sounds like what happened, this buck got as far as the traffic lights and seen them go green as he was approaching and figured he would try a cheeky move and cut in-front of you.

As fotr CCTV, I don't think the control room for that is in the station, as far as I know it is under conucil control. I am open to correction on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

The control room is in the Co Council Offices but it has live viewing at the station.

Either way the images could be accessed and there is a camera there so occassionally they could use it to encourage better driving at the traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I am sure you've all come across incidents like this before but I just thought it was completely rude and out of line and even more so, as he cut me off not vice versa.

I've had something similar to this happen to me twice in recent weeks both times by black women, now they didn't give me the finger it must be said though! Coming down high road, my lights go green so I drive ahead and for reason they come from the court house road and try and get in front of me, obviously running a red light as they change in an anti clockwise direction. I just put the boot down and head straight for them they soon stop cutting in when they realise I won't stop. I've also had a black woman drive right out infront of me at the community centre and on high road coming down from the traffic lights!! They obviously can't drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Farls wrote: »
    I've had something similar to this happen to me twice in recent weeks both times by black women, now they didn't give me the finger it must be said though! Coming down high road, my lights go green so I drive ahead and for reason they come from the court house road and try and get in front of me, obviously running a red light as they change in an anti clockwise direction. I just put the boot down and head straight for them they soon stop cutting in when they realise I won't stop. I've also had a black woman drive right out infront of me at the community centre and on high road coming down from the traffic lights!! They obviously can't drive.

Aye Its only coloured folk that do this sort of thing Jesus get a life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Farls has been infracted and earned himself a 1 week ban for that racist comment so we can leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

This has been going on since them lights went in in the 80's.

You will always get the arrogant git... I just let people like that off for they will meet someone bigger and badder.... Karma I think its called..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Mac055

Try living in dublin and dealing with that every time you get in the car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paul larry

gotta add my bit...........donegal drivers are truly the worst i ever came accross!!!!!!!! they have a terrible habit of using the outside(left) lane on a roundabout to go the whole way around it!!!!!!! anyway, please read the rules of the road book, people. and before you bitch, i have read it, cover to cover!!! sad, i know, but i like to know a great deal about something before i give out about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paul larry wrote: »
    gotta add my bit...........donegal drivers are truly the worst i ever came accross!!!!!!!! they have a terrible habit of using the outside(left) lane on a roundabout to go the whole way around it!!!!!!! anyway, please read the rules of the road book, people. and before you bitch, i have read it, cover to cover!!! sad, i know, but i like to know a great deal about something before i give out about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You obviously havent ventured outside of the county yet. :)

• Advertisement

in fairnes i have muffler. drove in prob 30 counties antionwide, and donegal ranks fairly low now. pure me feiners on the road. mirrors are a great thing, im sure donegalians will learn to use them in time!!!!!!!!!
    met a man today who told me that the left hand lane in a roundabout was for all exits. the right hand lane is for when ya wanna do a full circle of the roaundabout. have ya ever heard such bullocks!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Mac055

in fairnes i have muffler. drove in prob 30 counties antionwide, and donegal ranks fairly low now. pure me feiners on the road. mirrors are a great thing, im sure donegalians will learn to use them in time!!!!!!!!!
    met a man today who told me that the left hand lane in a roundabout was for all exits. the right hand lane is for when ya wanna do a full circle of the roaundabout. have ya ever heard such bullocks!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I have to say i take great offence to that and the previous comment!! I've done my fair share of driving up and down the country and donegal is in no way the worst drivers in the country!! i would say that dublin is one of the most dangerous places to drive in ireland, in saying that most big cities are!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

I have to stick up for Paul Larry here....

I am from Donegal, living in Dublin. I drive around Dublin and Kildare every day and have made loads of trips to Donegal, Cork, Galway, Mayo etc so ive been in a fair few counties I suppose.

Although there are bad and rude drivers everywhere, (and plenty in dublin) I do think Donegal exceeds them all in terms of bad manners, dangerous driving and general bullying on the roads. I drove once across Donegal in very heavy snow so I was taking it easy and was absolutelty tormented by cars flashing and beeping me to go faster.

Not everyone is a bad or rude driver- but I think we have more than our fair share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭cormthechippy

dub born and bred but living in letterkenny and im sorry to say that i sum up donegal drivers in this sentence: a shower of cuñts. they NEVER let you out

dub born and bred but living in letterkenny and im sorry to say that i sum up donegal drivers in this sentence: a shower of cuñts. they NEVER let you out
    Thats rich coming from a Dub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Here's the thing (for any Monk fans) driving on a Donegal road does not a Donegal driver make. Driving in a Donegal registered car does not even a Donegal driver make! So how do you know the poor drivers are Donegal drivers or vice versa?
    To develop that argument just a small turn of the wheel farther ... maybe it's just the poor Donegal ROADS that cause all the problems ;)

Oh and just so others are aware cormthechippy earned himself a 2 week ban for that masterpiece he posted. Id be failing in my duty if I allowed anyone to insult others here in the forum or indeed the good people of Donegal in general.

Plenty of other forums for him to troll.

maybe it's just the poor Donegal ROADS that cause all the problems ;)

Fair argument and the donegal roads, in the sticks can be bad, but as for the main routes ie n13, n14, n56 etc, these roads are bang on.
    it is my belief that donegal folk, particularly younger lads, attempt to imitate northern drivers. (n.i. drivers,i believe are much more aggressive, but having sat my test in omagh, i believe that n.i. drivers are much better trained)
    i'm certainly open to correction and argument on that point, but i dont believe r.o.i. drivers pay as much heed to mirrors, blind spots, road position as n.i drivers do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Fair argument and the donegal roads, in the sticks can be bad, but as for the main routes ie n13, n14, n56 etc, these roads are bang on.
    The N14 bang on?

The N14 is the biggest steaming pile of horse shít masquerading as a national primary road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 THE SHOOTEST

we are all the best drivers ... never make mistakes?? never pull out in the wrong ...never give way...never use indicators...... wake up you shower of numpties dry your eyes and look on your own front doors

• Advertisement

People can surely get their point across without resorting to abusive comments. I have had to moderate more posts in this thread (and its only on the 2nd page) than the last 20 threads put together.

Any more abusive or trolling comments will earn a 3 month ban.

Dont say you havent been warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lklklk89

Seig Heil! mein Fuhrer,

Muffler, could you please elaborate on the meaning and etymology of the verb 'trolling'? On careful examination of sources of the highest repute, such as 'The Oxford English Dictionary', little or no evidence exists that would support the word's use in this context. I am aghast that such an expression has meandered its way into common parlance without my notice! Thanks of the highest order are dispatched in advance,

lklklk89.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

lklklk89 wrote: »
    Seig Heil! mein Fuhrer,

Muffler, can you please elaborate on the meaning and etymology of the verb 'trolling'. On careful examination of sources of the highest repute, such as 'The Oxford English Dictionary', little or no evidence exists that would support the word's use in this context. I am aghast that such an expression has meandered its way into common parlance without my notice! Thanks of the highest order are dispatched in advance,

lklklk89.
    Muffler doesn't appear to be online at the moment but before he gets here, I'll give you a few pointers.

Trolling - It is well covered here.

Etymology - If you have a query on etymology, we have a specific forum for that...

Linguistics & Etymology. :rolleyes:

Apart from all that, I have reported your post, especially the Fuhrer reference. I'm sure muffler will deal with this when he gets here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lklklk89

Smashey,

Please accept my honest and heartfelt gratitude for your reply. You are wisened in the ways of the world wide web! In future I shall be very careful to censor my views in such a way to avoid offense or hurt to any party. I pledge my full endeavour to dilute my opinions and rhetoric in future posts, in order to gain a greater level of acceptance from moderators. I accept it is an unfortunate yet necessary step that must be taken to remove any delusions I may harbour towards democratic thought. I will embrace the new way!

Four legs good, two legs bad

Seig Heil! mein Fuhrer,

Muffler, could you please elaborate on the meaning and etymology of the verb 'trolling'? On careful examination of sources of the highest repute, such as 'The Oxford English Dictionary', little or no evidence exists that would support the word's use in this context. I am aghast that such an expression has meandered its way into common parlance without my notice! Thanks of the highest order are dispatched in advance,

lklklk89.
    You now have 3 months to figure out if you can contribute positively to this forum. Use the time wisely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Smashey,

Please accept my honest and heartfelt gratitude for your reply. You are wisened in the ways of the world wide web! In future I shall be very careful to censor my views in such a way to avoid offense or hurt to any party. I pledge my full endeavour to dilute my opinions and rhetoric in future posts, in order to gain a greater level of acceptance from moderators. I accept it is an unfortunate yet necessary step that must be taken to remove any delusions I may harbour towards democratic thought. I will embrace the new way!

Four legs good, two legs bad

Post of the year!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement