Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Sport is more Dangerous? Fishing or Shooting

Options
  • 18-07-2009 11:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Its seems to me that over the last couple of years there have been a lot of tragedies involving Sea anglers. I am unable to think of any tragedies relating to shooting that occurred during a sporting event.

If my perception of this is true then its seems that the regulations are working!! Do we need any more:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Ivan, I think you might be hitting on something here. Sea angling is probably an activity that's undertaken more lightly by people who haven't got a clue what they're at and as a consequence don't understand the hazardous nature of the environment they're in.

On the other hand hunters and targetshooters tend to be the sort of folk who've had a long standing interest in their activity and often have grown up with their sport and as a consequence are quite knowledgeable about what they're doing. They mightn't all be a great shot but bar a few exceptions they'll be safe shots and since you don't tend to roam into places you don't know at all you hedge your bets in relation to external risks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Its seems to me that over the last couple of years there have been a lot of tragedies involving Sea anglers. I am unable to think of any tragedies relating to shooting that occurred during a sporting event.

If my perception of this is true then its seems that the regulations are working!! Do we need any more:mad:

its a fair point ivan.
    but i would not advertise the tragedy of one sport to promote another.
    i sea fish off the rocks in slade many a man has lost there life there ,i know a few that died there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

jwshooter wrote: »
    its a fair point ivan.
    but i would not advertise the tragedy of one sport to promote another.

OK that is also a fair point! I know its a delicate subject but the facts must be spoken in a clear and transparent manner. There is (IMO) nothing wrong with making a direct correlation between these sports in terms of fatalities or any other sport for that matter.

Yes, respect should be of concern when dealing with the dead but not making the correlation and pointing out the obvious is disrespectful to the living.

Ivan, I think you might be hitting on something here. Sea angling is probably an activity that's undertaken more lightly by people who haven't got a clue what they're at and as a consequence don't understand the hazardous nature of the environment they're in.

On the other hand hunters and targetshooters tend to be the sort of folk who've had a long standing interest in their activity and often have grown up with their sport and as a consequence are quite knowledgeable about what they're doing. They mightn't all be a great shot but bar a few exceptions they'll be safe shots and since you don't tend to roam into places you don't know at all you hedge your bets in relation to external risks.

I hear you, especially the POV that Hunters/Shooters have, in most cases, grown up with their sport.
    IMO this is antidote evidence that shooters should be included in sport at younger ages. I'm currently npt sure as to the laws new stance on the age issue or even if the law as changed on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I don't have the stats to hand, but the Irish Parachute Club use to always quote some stats that in a worldwide sense fishing has the most fastalities of all sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Apprently GOLF is one of the most leathl sport to be involved in...:eek:
    What with people being struck by lightning,heart attacks andbadly aimed ?golf balls each year.In fact most ball sports have a higher fatality record than shooting Per Annum.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Most sports have a worse safety record than shooting Grizzly, since the first match I can find a record for here is 1841 or so, and I can't find any record of any injury (in formal target shooting at least, as opposed to hunting or lads plinking at tin cans or the like) since then. How many other sports can say they've a perfect safety record going back 168 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Odysseus wrote: »
    I don't have the stats to hand, but the Irish Parachute Club use to always quote some stats that in a worldwide sense fishing has the most fastalities of all sports.

Heard that quite a few times, back in the days when id be leaping out of
    a perfectly good aircraft:D-I remember a few years ago when Id be getting a copy of sea angler magazine, there was a spate of fatalities in the UK , with people being washed off rocks whilst fishing- how many fishermen do you see out deep sea fishing and rock fishing without a flotation suit or any type of lifesaving device.
    I was with a group of workmates on a deep sea fishing trip and we lost the engine, it stalled and refused to start, so there we were heading for a nice rocky area below a 150 foot cliff and I grabbed my knife and started to cut a large lifering free, lads were scrambling for life preservers and guess what ?-there wasnt enough to go around :eek:-luckily a passing boat spotted our dilema and towed us to safety.With sea fishing and even river fishing if you wade the pools your only a moment from potential disaster
    and its unpreparedness that catches most. I was watching two men rock fishing a short while ago and they had to scale down a sheer face to get onto a ledge with nothing between them and the United states but the Atlantic-you wouldnt catch Bear Grylls at it:(

Yup,lost a French lad like that down here in Clare a few weeks ago.Passed the area yesterday,rakes of lads out fishing,nary a life preserver or whatnot to be seen amongst them.:(
    BTW
    Does anyone kmow or have any Stats on firearms deaths here in Ireland[Excluding NI and criminal activity] over say 1970 to present day?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

The problem isn't with accidents, it's with the idiots that give the sport a bad name. Not being safe at all. Not understanding the rules and using their common sence. The potential with shooting is a lot higher than other sports I would think. The weapon is designed to kill.

• Advertisement

The problem isn't with accidents, it's with the idiots that give the sport a bad name. Not being safe at all. Not understanding the rules and using their common sence. The potential with shooting is a lot higher than other sports I would think. The weapon is designed to kill.

no .you could not be more wrong sport shooting is one of the safety sports in the land .

as sport shooters we use firearms not weapons .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

In Australia, rock fishing is the most dangerous sport in the country (even though i class it as a pastime not a sport, along with darts and snooker) and has been for years, people put themselves and others at risk over a fish, love fishing but dont understand the mentality of it.

Anthony.

no .you could not be more wrong sport shooting is one of the safety sports in the land .

as sport shooters we use firearms not weapons .

Referring to stats...

Fish in a dangerous area and your going to suffer... When I talk about shooting, I include all aspects of shooting. The potential danger of shooting would be a lot more than fishing in my opinion.

The potential danger of shooting would be a lot more than fishing in my opinion.
    Yes, but the potential danger of asteroid impact (ie. wiping out all life on the planet) is kinda high too. Oddly though, we don't worry too much about it...

Referring to stats...

Fish in a dangerous area and your going to suffer... When I talk about shooting, I include all aspects of shooting. The potential danger of shooting would be a lot more than fishing in my opinion.

what stats ?.

you include all aspects of shooting . please elaborate

potential danger ,there is potential danger cleaning your ears with a cotton bud after a shower .

i have a better chance of been injured cycling than i do using a firearm.

we have one of the safest sport in the country.

<snip: Play the ball, not the man jw. -sparks>

Sparks wrote: »
    Yes, but the potential danger of asteroid impact (ie. wiping out all life on the planet) is kinda high too. Oddly though, we don't worry too much about it...

Higher chance of an accident happening when you are out hunting.
    what stats ?.

you include all aspects of shooting . please elaborate

Shooting on a range, inside our outside, hunting, clay pigeon shooting, target practice.
    potential danger ,there is potential danger cleaning your ears with a cotton bud after a shower.

Yes I know that, but I think a gun is more dangerous ;)
    i have a better chance of been injured cycling than i do using a firearm.

That is very possible, yet I rather be in a cycling accident than a firearm accident.
    we have one of the safest sport in the country.

<snip: Play the ball, not the man jw. -sparks>

It is pretty safe, when the holder of the firearm isn't some eejit who think he knows everything. It's not difficult to get a firearm. I know a few that I wouldn't be too pleased with knowing they are shooting in my area.

I fish and I shoot. I shot on ranges and I hunted, I fish on a regular basis on a boat, bullock island/dalkey area, I also fished on rivers and lakes. I am speaking from experience. I find shooting to be a lot more dangerous than fishing. That is just my opinion, no need to lose the rag and insult me.

Thing is, while you'll see accidents while hunting, that doesn't mean shooting is more dangerous, anymore than accidents in hurling make golf more dangerous. I mean, if you want to take it that way, lets including king crab fishing in there with the fishing statistics, and then we'll be one silly season story away from banning all fishing in Ireland because it's even more dangerous than being in a deployed army...

Well if you are going to talk about king crap fishing, it would be fair to include fire arm "incidents" which occur in south LA and rio, but we cannot, we are talking about Ireland.

The problem with shooting/fire arms V a boat/fishing rod is that shooting/fire arms can be easily abused, in the wrong hands. They do find their way into the wrong hands quite frequently. Even people who are "vetted" by the local super, who pass all requirements with flying colours, it can be pretty dangerous for them to have a fire arm. Guns can be stolen, they have been, and it will continue to happen.

I can understand most of the strict regulations, but not all, and if there are still accidents and malicious goings on, then it still needs to be reviewed and tweaked.

Recent restriction on pistol licences was an disgrace. Government giving the perception that gun owners are criminals, because of what is happening in finglas and Limerick. Will things change in them places? Nope...

king crap fishing
    :eek::eek::D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Quote:
    potential danger ,there is potential danger cleaning your ears with a cotton bud after a shower.

Yes I know that, but I think a gun is more dangerous wink.gif

I've never tried cleaning my ears with a gun so I can't comment;)

• Advertisement

Well if you are going to talk about king crap fishing, it would be fair to include fire arm "incidents" which occur in south LA and rio, but we cannot, we are talking about Ireland.

The problem with shooting/fire arms V a boat/fishing rod is that shooting/fire arms can be easily abused, in the wrong hands. They do find their way into the wrong hands quite frequently. Even people who are "vetted" by the local super, who pass all requirements with flying colours, it can be pretty dangerous for them to have a fire arm. Guns can be stolen, they have been, and it will continue to happen.

I can understand most of the strict regulations, but not all, and if there are still accidents and malicious goings on, then it still needs to be reviewed and tweaked.

Recent restriction on pistol licences was an disgrace. Government giving the perception that gun owners are criminals, because of what is happening in finglas and Limerick. Will things change in them places? Nope...

I agree completely with you AND I say that, we seem to have a system that seems to wok (i.e gun ownership law etc) yet we are continuously under examination by both the Media and the Authorities.
    It seems that the government is swayed by popular opinion and complete misconceptions. The whole ordeal is being fanned by hot air from the Media.
    Why is a sport with such a goodtrack record continuously under the hammer?

I agree completely with you AND I say that, we seem to have a system that seems to wok (i.e gun ownership law etc) yet we are continuously under examination by both the Media and the Authorities.
    It seems that the government is swayed by popular opinion and complete misconceptions. The whole ordeal is being fanned by hot air from the Media.
    Why is a sport with such a goodtrack record continuously under the hammer?

Yea the public will always have a problem with our sport, always... Government using events in Limerick and Finglas to come down hard on the rest of us. For what reason exactly? Well if nobody had a gun, do you think the gun crime rate would go down? It would, but I think the differance would be too small a justify an outright ban on our sport.

Shooting will always be viewed as dangerous by the general public, they have been conditioned to do so...

Well if nobody had a gun, do you think the gun crime rate would go down?
    Definitely. Right to zero.
    Trouble is, the only people who you can take firearms from by writing down a new law are the ones who're not contributing to the gun crime rate, so these new laws won't affect the rate at all. Even the Minister publicly conceded this point in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,358 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

King Crab Fishing is alaska is the most dangerous job out there as well

And one of the best paid Mellor...Still you cant beat the ol job saftey and security of a private military contractor in Iraq or 'Ghanistan..:p:pac:

Definitely. Right to zero.
    Trouble is, the only people who you can take firearms from by writing down a new law are the ones who're not contributing to the gun crime rate, so these new laws won't affect the rate at all. Even the Minister publicly conceded this point in the end.

It would effect it, but very very little. Think of the amount of guns stolen from homes and used in crimes.

If the minister mad an outright ban on firearms, the thugs would still get the weapons, they will still shooting eachother...

It would effect it, but very very little. Think of the amount of guns stolen from homes and used in crimes.
    If the minister mad an outright ban on firearms, the thugs would still get the weapons, they will still shooting eachother...

No, you don't understand what I meant. I meant that taking away all the guns would lower gun crime to zero.

That means all the guns. Including the ones hidden in brick walls in East Wall, including the ones being cycled about the city by 15-year-olds, including the ones being carried by drug pushers. In fact, starting with those ones.

The reason the handgun ban is bad is that it has abso-blooming-lutely nothing to do with those guns. And as a result, won't lower the gun crime rate at all.

No, you don't understand what I meant. I meant that taking away all the guns would lower gun crime to zero.

That means all the guns. Including the ones hidden in brick walls in East Wall, including the ones being cycled about the city by 15-year-olds, including the ones being carried by drug pushers. In fact, starting with those ones.

The reason the handgun ban is bad is that it has abso-blooming-lutely nothing to do with those guns. And as a result, won't lower the gun crime rate at all.

I do understand, and it wouldn't stop it. The guns will still get into the hands of the criminals. Banning the guns from the innocent law abiding citizens was a load of balls, an excuse to stop them licences being issued. It's less for the Gardai to be worrying about, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

i don't want to sound flippant, but i think the biggest danger we have (ie. experienced shooters) is livestock cows, bulls and rams. i got a good belt of a ram about a week ago :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement